Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 9 - Straight Up Not Having A Good Time

New session means new treasures! And new problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That is an excellent mimic. A+.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't believe I'm being kinkshamed by Dan and Grace of all people.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 10 - Unkilled And Rekilled

Welcome to the swamp baybee, its fuckin gross and I hate it here

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 29, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Getting a big reminder for why "Don't worry, Guns stop malfunctioning once you max out the skill!" never felt like a great sales pitch.

I also entirely forgot frogs can steal things that aren't combat equipment :magical:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 11 - #NotAllMermaids

I want to go to Red Panda's Island

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Why have a grate instead of a wall if it's the end of the map anyways?

These are the questions somebody not busy trying to avoid drowning has the luxury to ask.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 12 - I Hate It Here

Watching this back, you can see me going nuts trying to remember what the deal with the Silent One is because I just barely remember him centering around an irritating puzzle.

Also the reason I got so hung up on the sun's direction is because I've been playing a ton of Wurm Online, where the sun rises from the north and sets in the south, so I had it in my head that since they're both fantasy games surely that means the planet's axis could be anything :frogdunce:

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
There are only two things in the game that will work on Air Elementals, and you do in fact have access to one of them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arcomage posted:

There are only two things in the game that will work on Air Elementals, and you do in fact have access to one of them.

Theres one more episode of this session, then between the two sessions I was at work and suddenly realized I'm an idiot :v: last time I played I dont think I used a spell that wasnt fireball.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whoops actually this is the new session

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 13 - I Hated Mushroom Zone

I sure hope you guys like it when I make a puzzle way more difficult than it needs to be :frogdunce: I'm a galaxy brain kind of dumbass

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Look, look. You have to KILL Skeletons, and you don't kill something unless it's alive! :pseudo:

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
This episode makes me question whether it'd be a spoiler to tell you whether something is in the game at all or not. On the one hand, probably yes; on the other hand, you wouldn't know until you actually 100% the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arcomage posted:

This episode makes me question whether it'd be a spoiler to tell you whether something is in the game at all or not. On the one hand, probably yes; on the other hand, you wouldn't know until you actually 100% the game.

If you've got PMs, you can ask there, or if you have twitter you can send me a message at @DanaruLP, just not in the thread itself basically. We're doing all the ending stuff if that's what you're concerned about

E: unless it's a puzzle solution in which case don't spoil it for me, I want to re-solve everything :colbert:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 7, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Is it kosher to try and solve a puzzle (in-thread) you haven't? I haven't played the game so it'd all be speculation on my end.

e: also this LP is great and I'm enjoying it a lot!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speculation is fine, just no cheating :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

okay, so here's the three things we have to work with:

1. the scroll that solves the first puzzle, but not the second puzzle:

2. the area we're working with:

3. the puzzle itself:

so the first thing that jumps out at me is: [
img]https://i.postimg.cc/hGn7rw97/grimrock-hint-2.png[/img]
what the heck are these shapes? they're the only thing on the hint that aren't explained, and they have the same art style

in the second puzzle, there's not too much that's actually new:

- three terms we don't know (PALA, FAAM, KO), and one thing we do know that doesn't fit the pattern from before - why does it start with "RIGHT" but with no number?

- KO is almost certainly a number, since it's always at the end of a chunk

- KO can't possibly be more than four: the dimensions of the room are 4 by 5, so you can't move five times in one direction

- the last line is LAM KO (DOWN [NUMBER]), so KO can't be 4 - you can only go down 3 squares at most. let's assume that KO is 3!

- so with that assumption, here's what the puzzle says so far:

RIGHT. UP TWO. PALA.
UP TWO. PALA TWO.
LEFT ONE. FAAM THREE.
DOWN THREE.

- now, PALA and FAAM almost certainly go with those two almost-box shapes. i'm guessing they're either "step around in a pattern" or "rotate some amount of times".

- another though i'm having is that a direction with a number means "walk this way", but with no number means "turn this way".

with those ideas, here are some experiments (with the map rotated 180 so i get less confused)

1. no number = turn, PALA is the top right bit:

(remember, for this one the first PALA means turn, the second PALA has a number and means "walk")

2. nope, something wrong here. maybe PALA and FAAM only turn?

3. okay, so what if the first RIGHT means just start one tile to the right?

hey, this one is plausible!

some other possibilities, to narrow this down:

no idea if this is right, but it was fun trying to figure it out!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:staredog: drat, that's good thinking. Next time we play I'll give that a shot.

I never once thought to extrapolate :cripes: I just assumed thered be another clue

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was wondering if it was something you were supposed to figure out that way or if they actually gave you clues. It seems like it'd be possible.

It's the fact that there are missing 'E's on both TE and PALA that throw this off. It seems plausible that 'TE E' could contract to 'TE' so maybe 'TE' on its own does just mean move one step right. If that's the case and only PALA & FAAM meaning 'rotate', you'd do the pattern that biosterous has, so that seems fairly likely.

Another possibility is that a word on its own means 'change facing', and PALA and FAAM are separate things entirely. That would re-interpret the symbols on the chart so that 'TE' corresponds to rotating right (hence the symbol above it). But we'd probably need something else to tell us what PALA & FAAM are.

I considered that in this case they could be cardinal directions, but that gives 'FACE RIGHT, 2 FWD (to the corner), FACE (S or W), 2 FWD, then 2 S - hitting the wall, or 2 W which is okay but 1 LEFT hits the well since we're facing West. So that doesn't seem to fit.

Also can't stop laughing about the time Circlmastr was a bear and Grandma Party thought it'd be funny to steal his shield while no one was looking.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Kangra posted:

Also can't stop laughing about the time Circlmastr was a bear and Grandma Party thought it'd be funny to steal his shield while no one was looking.

It's a setup, I tell you. It was clearly a case of Danaru shoving that shield into his hands because he was kind of preoccupied with not getting killed and Circlmastr being a bear, and then just conveniently forgetting that that happened when Circlmaster needed his shield back.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I was just exercising my right to bear arms.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

CirclMastr posted:

I was just exercising my right to bear arms.

boooooo

My gut instinct looking at the first clue, just from the layout of the clues, is that it's WASD. Uhu = forward, Lam = back, Ar = (sidestep) left, Te = (sidestep) right.
If uhu/ar/lam/te are WASD, then the two unnamed symbols map to Q and E on the keyboard (plus their glyphs look like instructions to turn). I haven't played the game but by any chance are Q and E turn left & turn right?

Grimrock is a love letter to old PC RPGS, and how many had this control scheme?

Ko is clearly a number as it's always attached to the end of a direction. Anyway, this brings me straight to the same conclusion as biosterous. So the answer is: step right, forward twice, turn left, forward twice, turn left twice, step left once, turn right 3 times, step back 3 times.

On the other hand the teleporter and shrine of pain puzzles would instantly reduce me to a gibbering wreck.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 11, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crazy Achmed posted:

boooooo

My gut instinct looking at the first clue, just from the layout of the clues, is that it's WASD. Uhu = forward, Lam = back, Ar = (sidestep) left, Te = (sidestep) right.
If uhu/ar/lam/te are WASD, then the two unnamed symbols map to Q and E on the keyboard (plus their glyphs look like instructions to turn). I haven't played the game but by any chance are Q and E turn left & turn right?

Grimrock is a love letter to old PC RPGS, and how many had this control scheme?

Ko is clearly a number as it's always attached to the end of a direction. Anyway, this brings me straight to the same conclusion as biosterous. So the answer is: step right, forward twice, turn left, forward twice, turn left twice, step left once, turn right 3 times, step back 3 times.

On the other hand the teleporter and shrine of pain puzzles would instantly reduce me to a gibbering wreck.

That's 100% the control scheme and I still never made the connection :frogdunce: In my defense, Grimrock 1 was my first game in this specific genre of dungeon crawler. I tried playing Ultima Underworld and... wow it's aged really not great and I couldn't do it.

I'm still depressed to find out Grimrock is a cult classic :( I really genuinely thought this series was a genre breaker until I noticed the last update on the official Grimrock site was 2014.

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 14 - Gotta Be Bread

It's the Graveyard baby! Youtube's encoder REALLY HATES the Graveyard, even more than the rest of the game. I can only raise the bitrate so much.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 13, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

You linked Ep 13!

here's 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYDSS66UsY

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, it's sad these games never got more sales - they do what they do really well, the art is gorgeous and the intricacy of the level and puzzle design shows a lot of love went into making them as well.

I'm considering picking up the first game, but my weaknesses are getting horrifically lost in these kinds of mazes, and being utterly terrible at timing, teleporter and "hey this switch opened a door on the other side of the map that you have to access by dropping down from 3 floors up". Which happen a lot. I'll stop short of calling it "bullshit", though, because I realise that they're not bad puzzles, just ones that I'm bad at. Oh, and the underwater segments. Has anyone made a mod that puts in the drowning music from Sonic?

[edit]Ooh, it's on sale at gog, I guess I'm buying it. https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock
I blame you directly for when I get incredibly frustrated in future. And I also blame you every time I get takeout pizza now and I hear you or Grace saying "here comes the pizza!".

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 13, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

god dammit :cripes: I'm dumb as poo poo

Crazy Achmed posted:

[edit]Ooh, it's on sale at gog, I guess I'm buying it. https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock

Anyone who doesn't get this is a chump :colbert: 1 has a lot more snags than 2 but it's still extremely good

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, it's sad these games never got more sales - they do what they do really well, the art is gorgeous and the intricacy of the level and puzzle design shows a lot of love went into making them as well.

Not related to the LP, sorry, but

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That's really cool :)

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
There's another Riddle in the Cemetary. In fact, there are three!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 15 - Bullets For Grandma

I dont remember which episode this is because it's been a long time and I sorta forgot what it was like to not be working, so I'm just going to complain about how it's going to go up to 33 degrees on the three days I have off, and now i have to rig a suppressor to cancel out the sound of my loud as poo poo air conditioner because I will ACTUALLY die if I turn it off while we record. My trailer has the worst drat insulation so turning it off means the heat starts seeping in immediately, and it also means that my power bill goes loving NUTS during the summer months. Everyone can suck my loving balls when its -20 out I'll stand outside laughing like the snowman lunatic I am, but once it reaches 23 just loving shoot me. Summer is a garbage month for garbage people I'm the fuckin snow meiser gently caress you. Anyway I'm working now obviously and it's going to get stupid hot while I'm here so by the time I get home I'm going to have to put in and tape up the air conditioner in the Dan killing heat and THEN figure out the whole suppressor thing, I'm researching it on my break but I'm the kind of guy who learns by sticking a fork in the outlet, I gotta be able to touch and mess around with stuff so none of this is really going to sink in until I actually set it up. Grace is all "dont worry about it screw the viewer" and like, yeah, screw you guys, but the AC is actually loud enough to be pretty annoying and mess with the noise gate. Plus it really bothers me when my audio is lovely because again I always gotta be fiddling with stuff and I cant fiddle with the audio in real time without having to hear my own voice. Video stuff is fine I can do whatever I want, but audio stuff is annoying. I've considered seeing if OBS can spit out separate audio tracks for each audio line I use, but that messes with my ability to just dump raw episodes onto youtube and I'm lazy as poo poo. If I cant get the suppressor to work without making my audio lovely i might have to try that and run noise cancellation in audacity. Eventually I'm going to have a house with a heat pump and actual goddamn insulation and that thermostat is never going above ten. Also I want a basement because I really want to try homebrewing cider but I dont have any space in the trailer for it. When Grace lives up here we can drive out to the valley to one of those U-Pick orchards, get a ton of apples for cheap, scrat them down and then I can either drink like a king or horribly poison myself. Its gonna rule and I'm gonna call it Red Panda's Cider and have a cute picture of Elbakki on the label. Then I wont sell it because its mine get away from my cider.

Anyway my point is I dont like heat

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Now that Grandma can make bombs, does that mean this game and The Saboteur take place in the same universe?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The best part of persona 4 is the hot dad who neglects his child.

They don't even let you get a dog

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 16 - An Actual Cannon

Grace and I have, somehow, seen The Princess Bride 95% unspoiled in 2020 and seriously what a phenomenal movie. Inigo helping Westley up the cliff so they could duel to the death sooner is 100% a move I'd also make :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Not only did you give GrandmaParty an actual cannon when he can barely hit anything with a pistol, but of course he just happens to be standing directly behind me in formation. What exactly do you have against me?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Not only did you give GrandmaParty an actual cannon when he can barely hit anything with a pistol, but of course he just happens to be standing directly behind me in formation. What exactly do you have against me?

Well he's sure as hell not standing behind ME with that thing, if he blew his legs off with the rifle imagine what he could do with that thing

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CirclMastr posted:

Just learn how to duck, lizard boy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 17 - CirclMastr's Potion Sack

They loving exist okay I'm not making this poo poo up

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you're done with that button, and you got the rewards from it this episode.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 18 - They're All Bitey

You were totally right! :toot: Sorry I was too drunk/stupid to remember the explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I solved it :woop:

you got pretty dang close with pronouncing my name right, too - if you paste baɪɑstərʌs into http://ipa-reader.xyz/ you can hear how to say it (the "Joey" voice is the msot accurate)