Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Game

The Legend Of Grimrock 2 is the sequel to the Legend of Grimrock, both are absolutely fantastic dungeon crawlers by Almost Human. The first one was about four idiots getting killed by a gamecube or some poo poo, but the second is vastly expanded, allowing you explore the island of Nex, a pretty cool magical island run by the biggest dickhead in the world who covered the drat thing with puzzles and traps. I hate him so much.

The LP

While Grace is completely blind, I absolutely adore this game and have fully completed it! Back in 2014. As it turns out, this is exactly long enough for me to remember the important stuff, but to forget 90% of the puzzles. As such, this thread will have No Spoilers. Not even behind spoiler tags. And no puzzle solutions unless I already solved it. It took six loving years to get to this golden spot and I won't let any of you gently caress it up for me. With that said, I WILL allow for mentioning if I missed a secret, but only mention the map area (for example, Twinroot Forest, Twigroot Tunnels etc.) and a vague hint if you're clever enough. If your hint isn't vague or clever enough I'll boo you and I have it on good authority that everyone else will boo you too. Also I'll find out where you live, hurl a brick through your living room window, and poo poo on your rug.

By the way I get real drat drunk for this, and also the first two episodes were intended for a separate thread that we've been doing for a long time, so the first two are kinda sloppy! And also the rest of them are sloppy too but we stop caring.

The Party

Danaru
Party Role: Fearless Leader/Being Large
Crimes: Drunk and disorderly, Unlawful Network Access, Accomplice to Arson
Specialties: Head Hunter, Natural Armour

As the biggest person in the party, Dan is the team leader, partially because he could beat everyone else up and partially because it's MY let's play and I get to carry the cool stuff and if you complain I'll tell my mom on you and she'll beat you up

CirclMastr
Party Role: Swords/Getting in the way of Swords
Crimes: dicks too big lol, pizza panda, Broke Parole
Specialties: Endure Elements, Poison Immunity

CirclMastr was all like "What the gently caress I didn't DO anything" and then he saw Danaru in the paddy wagon and just sighed deeply. That's actually the usual reaction to seeing me, couldn't tell you why.

GrandmaParty
Party Role: Pharmacist/Gun Runner
Crimes: Securities Fraud, Tax Evasion, Public Urination
Specialties: Mutation, Endurance

GrandmaParty is our resident alchemist and also the guy I dump all my ranged weapons on even though I KNOW I'll never use them but I still pretend I will because I like looting stuff and I hate not having an excuse to loot stuff.

Grace
Party Role: Arsonist/Lamp
Crimes: Arson, Arson, Regicide
Specialties: Fast Learner, Aura

Grace catches poo poo on fire, and also is my Fiance and the co-commentator on this LP so he gets preferential treatment. I won't even pretend he doesn't.

Episodes:

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 1 - Turtle Island
Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 2 - I Like How They Trundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm normally brutally embarrassingly stingy with supplies, and I go out of my way to try to not be in this playthrough. The first time I played I ended the game with three full crates of food and over a hundred bullets :frogdunce:

Next episode we start hitting our stride since originally these were just for the romcom thread, episode 3 is the first episode of the session we knew we were doing a Grimrock thread :v: It's like riding a bike but with more skeletons trying to kill you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 3 - This Was Pretty Rude

Alright, we know we're doing a real LP and I've mostly remembered how to play the game :v: and yes I do eventually realize that the skill requirement was for the special move, not for the axe itself

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Spoiler alert: a lot of artificial strawberry ice cream/shakes get their red color from an ingredient (called cochineal) that's basically ground bug carapace (Dactylopius coccus).

Two minutes in the penalty box for being a big nerd

You're ejected from the game and will receive a fine

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Is this going to be a Liquid Dan run?

Very much so, yes

CirclMastr posted:

I'm being penalized for agreeing with Grace?

Very much so, yes

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 4 - That Ghost Dude Is Driving It

I'm pretty sure I figured out what the trick behind the four plagues is (and yes it DID eat at me forever), so after our nine episode backlog the first thing we'll do is go try that again and also pick up the crap we left in the weird face temple. Hopefully we'll be recording tomorrow so we have plenty of episodes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GrandmaParty posted:

WHO DID THIS?

<============

When we saw that, Grace and I thought you just REALLY liked that portrait, which is fair since it's the best portrait in the game.

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 5 - Everyone's Dead And I'm Not Sorry

I hate things that move fast since they make me panic and do the worst possible thing :cripes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kangra posted:

What happens if you feed Circlmastr a lizardstick? Does it have a negative effect?

nope, CirclMastr is extremely okay with cannibalism, you can quote me on that

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 6 - The Ones That We Were Had To Do The Thing At

Thankfully I'm better at dungeon crawling than I am at words saying

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 7 - Crabbed In The rear end

Sure there are more difficult and dangerous enemies, but the crabs upset me on a visceral level :gonk:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 18, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aumanor posted:

What happened to episode 7?

I can either be good at smashing stuff, or good at counting, not both

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 8 - Jay O'Crystal

I loving HATE FLUBBER

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to say the basic earth magic spell DOES go through grates, but that would require putting points into things that arent fire.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 9 - Straight Up Not Having A Good Time

New session means new treasures! And new problems.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 10 - Unkilled And Rekilled

Welcome to the swamp baybee, its fuckin gross and I hate it here

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 29, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 11 - #NotAllMermaids

I want to go to Red Panda's Island

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 12 - I Hate It Here

Watching this back, you can see me going nuts trying to remember what the deal with the Silent One is because I just barely remember him centering around an irritating puzzle.

Also the reason I got so hung up on the sun's direction is because I've been playing a ton of Wurm Online, where the sun rises from the north and sets in the south, so I had it in my head that since they're both fantasy games surely that means the planet's axis could be anything :frogdunce:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arcomage posted:

There are only two things in the game that will work on Air Elementals, and you do in fact have access to one of them.

Theres one more episode of this session, then between the two sessions I was at work and suddenly realized I'm an idiot :v: last time I played I dont think I used a spell that wasnt fireball.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whoops actually this is the new session

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 13 - I Hated Mushroom Zone

I sure hope you guys like it when I make a puzzle way more difficult than it needs to be :frogdunce: I'm a galaxy brain kind of dumbass

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arcomage posted:

This episode makes me question whether it'd be a spoiler to tell you whether something is in the game at all or not. On the one hand, probably yes; on the other hand, you wouldn't know until you actually 100% the game.

If you've got PMs, you can ask there, or if you have twitter you can send me a message at @DanaruLP, just not in the thread itself basically. We're doing all the ending stuff if that's what you're concerned about

E: unless it's a puzzle solution in which case don't spoil it for me, I want to re-solve everything :colbert:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 7, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speculation is fine, just no cheating :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:staredog: drat, that's good thinking. Next time we play I'll give that a shot.

I never once thought to extrapolate :cripes: I just assumed thered be another clue

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crazy Achmed posted:

boooooo

My gut instinct looking at the first clue, just from the layout of the clues, is that it's WASD. Uhu = forward, Lam = back, Ar = (sidestep) left, Te = (sidestep) right.
If uhu/ar/lam/te are WASD, then the two unnamed symbols map to Q and E on the keyboard (plus their glyphs look like instructions to turn). I haven't played the game but by any chance are Q and E turn left & turn right?

Grimrock is a love letter to old PC RPGS, and how many had this control scheme?

Ko is clearly a number as it's always attached to the end of a direction. Anyway, this brings me straight to the same conclusion as biosterous. So the answer is: step right, forward twice, turn left, forward twice, turn left twice, step left once, turn right 3 times, step back 3 times.

On the other hand the teleporter and shrine of pain puzzles would instantly reduce me to a gibbering wreck.

That's 100% the control scheme and I still never made the connection :frogdunce: In my defense, Grimrock 1 was my first game in this specific genre of dungeon crawler. I tried playing Ultima Underworld and... wow it's aged really not great and I couldn't do it.

I'm still depressed to find out Grimrock is a cult classic :( I really genuinely thought this series was a genre breaker until I noticed the last update on the official Grimrock site was 2014.

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 14 - Gotta Be Bread

It's the Graveyard baby! Youtube's encoder REALLY HATES the Graveyard, even more than the rest of the game. I can only raise the bitrate so much.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 13, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

god dammit :cripes: I'm dumb as poo poo

Crazy Achmed posted:

[edit]Ooh, it's on sale at gog, I guess I'm buying it. https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock

Anyone who doesn't get this is a chump :colbert: 1 has a lot more snags than 2 but it's still extremely good

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 15 - Bullets For Grandma

I dont remember which episode this is because it's been a long time and I sorta forgot what it was like to not be working, so I'm just going to complain about how it's going to go up to 33 degrees on the three days I have off, and now i have to rig a suppressor to cancel out the sound of my loud as poo poo air conditioner because I will ACTUALLY die if I turn it off while we record. My trailer has the worst drat insulation so turning it off means the heat starts seeping in immediately, and it also means that my power bill goes loving NUTS during the summer months. Everyone can suck my loving balls when its -20 out I'll stand outside laughing like the snowman lunatic I am, but once it reaches 23 just loving shoot me. Summer is a garbage month for garbage people I'm the fuckin snow meiser gently caress you. Anyway I'm working now obviously and it's going to get stupid hot while I'm here so by the time I get home I'm going to have to put in and tape up the air conditioner in the Dan killing heat and THEN figure out the whole suppressor thing, I'm researching it on my break but I'm the kind of guy who learns by sticking a fork in the outlet, I gotta be able to touch and mess around with stuff so none of this is really going to sink in until I actually set it up. Grace is all "dont worry about it screw the viewer" and like, yeah, screw you guys, but the AC is actually loud enough to be pretty annoying and mess with the noise gate. Plus it really bothers me when my audio is lovely because again I always gotta be fiddling with stuff and I cant fiddle with the audio in real time without having to hear my own voice. Video stuff is fine I can do whatever I want, but audio stuff is annoying. I've considered seeing if OBS can spit out separate audio tracks for each audio line I use, but that messes with my ability to just dump raw episodes onto youtube and I'm lazy as poo poo. If I cant get the suppressor to work without making my audio lovely i might have to try that and run noise cancellation in audacity. Eventually I'm going to have a house with a heat pump and actual goddamn insulation and that thermostat is never going above ten. Also I want a basement because I really want to try homebrewing cider but I dont have any space in the trailer for it. When Grace lives up here we can drive out to the valley to one of those U-Pick orchards, get a ton of apples for cheap, scrat them down and then I can either drink like a king or horribly poison myself. Its gonna rule and I'm gonna call it Red Panda's Cider and have a cute picture of Elbakki on the label. Then I wont sell it because its mine get away from my cider.

Anyway my point is I dont like heat

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 16 - An Actual Cannon

Grace and I have, somehow, seen The Princess Bride 95% unspoiled in 2020 and seriously what a phenomenal movie. Inigo helping Westley up the cliff so they could duel to the death sooner is 100% a move I'd also make :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Not only did you give GrandmaParty an actual cannon when he can barely hit anything with a pistol, but of course he just happens to be standing directly behind me in formation. What exactly do you have against me?

Well he's sure as hell not standing behind ME with that thing, if he blew his legs off with the rifle imagine what he could do with that thing

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 17 - CirclMastr's Potion Sack

They loving exist okay I'm not making this poo poo up

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 18 - They're All Bitey

You were totally right! :toot: Sorry I was too drunk/stupid to remember the explanation

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah but it's not as cool :colbert: plus we're (as of after this play session) pivoting Grandma into more of a bomb chucker, with a knife on standby to conserve bombs. That way we can save up bullets and start fan firing nerds when we break into that stupid castle.

Also I dont remember where I left the arquebus and I dont wanna go back to the pyramid even if I did :frogdunce:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 19 - Possibly Snack

I was always really good at math until the question asked me to show my work because god drat I'm bad at explaining my thought process. I just think-brain and the numbers go all do it get the number

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 20 - No Fun Zone

Very rarely will people be happy to find ancient pyramid bread, but we've already proven we're loving weirdos

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Its REALLY easy to get cornered during the Oops All Mummies stage, which is why I kept doing laps like I was playing Zone of the Enders :v: I also like (and didnt realize it before now) that the game automatically sets the time to be daylight, so you can properly see the enormity of the problem you just teleported into.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 22 - I Said Shrek-rear end

I genuinely want to burn down this dumbass hamlet

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 8, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whoops, fixed it :frogdunce:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 23 - You Are Good At poo poo

This game is seriously gorgeous. Also this is the last episode we've got in our backlog and we haven't been able to record anything since mid july due to scheduling issues :shepface: We're working on it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 24 - All Hecked Up

We're back! :toot:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crazy Achmed posted:

Bloody hell, what's the trigger for all those spiders dropping on you?

I fell down a pit in grimrock 1 and landed on an ogre, one-shotting it. Then I flailed about and got killed repeatedly by that hall in floor 8 with the lightning that shoots down it periodically, I hate timing puzzles.

I think it was picking up the shiny, late game gets REALLY rude about dropping a ton of dudes on you when you pick stuff up.

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 25 - Red Panda Has Seen It

This is why I keep saying Red Panda has seen it, and also Red Panda peep from the gap

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 26 - I Would Prefer If It Were Not Shrek

It owns finding out the people I've been passively genociding can feel sorrow :ohdear: We could have negotiated I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 27 - Katy Perry's Baby Babbor Fuchs

Well poo poo I was really spreading these thin hoping I could get a chance to get more of a backlog, but our schedules have been so poo poo that we managed to run out anyway :shepface: A lot of our time has been going towards Chimera Squad and even that we've had a tough time making time for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Legend Of Grimrock 2 Episode 28 - I Dan'd

We're back holy poo poo I'm so loving exhausted

The turtle doesn't inflict status effects

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 9, 2020