Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Is it kosher to try and solve a puzzle (in-thread) you haven't? I haven't played the game so it'd all be speculation on my end.

e: also this LP is great and I'm enjoying it a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

okay, so here's the three things we have to work with:

1. the scroll that solves the first puzzle, but not the second puzzle:

2. the area we're working with:

3. the puzzle itself:

so the first thing that jumps out at me is: [
img]https://i.postimg.cc/hGn7rw97/grimrock-hint-2.png[/img]
what the heck are these shapes? they're the only thing on the hint that aren't explained, and they have the same art style

in the second puzzle, there's not too much that's actually new:

- three terms we don't know (PALA, FAAM, KO), and one thing we do know that doesn't fit the pattern from before - why does it start with "RIGHT" but with no number?

- KO is almost certainly a number, since it's always at the end of a chunk

- KO can't possibly be more than four: the dimensions of the room are 4 by 5, so you can't move five times in one direction

- the last line is LAM KO (DOWN [NUMBER]), so KO can't be 4 - you can only go down 3 squares at most. let's assume that KO is 3!

- so with that assumption, here's what the puzzle says so far:

RIGHT. UP TWO. PALA.
UP TWO. PALA TWO.
LEFT ONE. FAAM THREE.
DOWN THREE.

- now, PALA and FAAM almost certainly go with those two almost-box shapes. i'm guessing they're either "step around in a pattern" or "rotate some amount of times".

- another though i'm having is that a direction with a number means "walk this way", but with no number means "turn this way".

with those ideas, here are some experiments (with the map rotated 180 so i get less confused)

1. no number = turn, PALA is the top right bit:

(remember, for this one the first PALA means turn, the second PALA has a number and means "walk")

2. nope, something wrong here. maybe PALA and FAAM only turn?

3. okay, so what if the first RIGHT means just start one tile to the right?

hey, this one is plausible!

some other possibilities, to narrow this down:

no idea if this is right, but it was fun trying to figure it out!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

You linked Ep 13!

here's 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYDSS66UsY

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you're done with that button, and you got the rewards from it this episode.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I solved it :woop:

you got pretty dang close with pronouncing my name right, too - if you paste baɪɑstərʌs into http://ipa-reader.xyz/ you can hear how to say it (the "Joey" voice is the msot accurate)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it was a pretty interesting encounter! most of the fights seem to be about finding the best way to deal with a few enemies in some cramped corridors. having to deal with a million weak enemies in a wide open space makes for an interesting change of pace

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

So what does the meteor set do? I think this is the first set you've completed on video.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It's a videogame, spiders are poison and snakes are poison and green things are poison!

I can't believe that Circlmastr led you all astray by not letting you guess turtle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Rad game, rad thread, thank you both!