Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So I started playing with the new expack (I just do vs. comp skirmishes, I don't do competitive poo poo) and man, Order of the Dragon really loving juices Landknechts. Watched a bunch just absolutely tear through a swarm of enemy infantry; that overall stat boost really is the thing they needed to be "competitive" I guess, though I imagine they're still easily wrecked by hard counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How are the campaigns in AoE4? I grew up playing AoE2 campaigns as a preteen, but stopped playing in like 2002 or so. When I tried to go back to it with the HD edition around 2015, I really didn't jive with the gameplay any more. I never tried the Definitive edition for that reason. A lot of it is just games from that time missing a lot of QOL that I've gotten used to since then, as I'd played ranked Starcraft 2 for 5 years at that point.

I imagine AoE4 won't have that issue, but my days of playing these games against players is over due to wrist issues (I tried playing some casual 3v3 and 4v4 in SC2 after quitting ranked but I can't stop myself from maximum clicking as long as I'm playing with other players) so I'm only really interested in the game for campaign play. If the campaigns are barebones or not very interesting/enjoyable I'll probably just pass.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's plenty of missions and solid/good mission design but tbh the best part is the presentation

Spoilers: did you love watching Discovery Channel/National Geographic/History Channel documentaries growing up? You'll loving love the campaign then

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That does sound pretty fun. Think I'll pick it up now that it's on sale then.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
And the DLC campaign is really solid and creative.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The expansion campaign is pretty good and challenging, the capture point filled map 3 feels like it could be a hit multiplayer map.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The base campaigns suffer from the usual Relic pitfall of the campaigns being designed around gameplay balance which no longer exists due to reworks and patches.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Azran posted:

The base campaigns suffer from the usual Relic pitfall of the campaigns being designed around gameplay balance which no longer exists due to reworks and patches.

Interesting, I actually played through some of Starcraft 2's campaign recently and had the opposite experience where I kept being surprised at units working completely differently from how I remembered playing with them on the ladder way back when. The Queen especially changed a ton from launch up to when I quit and was weird to play. There probably isn't an easy answer - SC2 kept the original campaign intact but doesn't prepare you for skirmish or ranked play at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like some of the best civs to pick up in aoe4 right now are those with good anti-cav like ottoman and camel civs, right now every new civ is in a dick measuring contest of who has the best knights.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a pretty good time to come back to AOE4 if you tried it at release but got turned off by the bugs and balance, game is in a really good place, Old Johnny Dark is a bit overtuned as a max level Moba hero crushing your armies like minion waves but besides that nothing is so bad that some small number tweaks can't fix.

Also I've found that you can always tell who is going Byzantines while queuing up for games because they will always go purple as their color.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The same is true irl

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can anyone suggest some co-op custom scenarios for aoe2? I really liked Spirit of the Law's Romans vs. Barbarians map.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Having grabbed AoE4 now and played some campaign missions I have Thoughts
- The campaign framing is delightful.
- Would be nice with some harder bonus achievement challenges though, unless I missed it, first maps were extremely easy. Really enjoy those when I go back and play Starcraft 2 campaign.
- Definitely feeling the UI and QoL stuff in this game. Especially the formations, although having played a ton of total war games the drag-directions are not intuitive (I keep trying to drag my archers out to a line and have them line up perpendicular to how I intend it lol)

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 27, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

new exp is def worth the buy

the new campaign is very good and way better design each mission is pretty drat different

new nations and sub nations as well

especially for $15

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ma03BGyfLU

Shots fired!

Not really but it's kinda interesting hearing someone's take on other players weaknesses and a pro at that. I do have a question and that is: how does tournament drafting work anyway? I never bothered to learn it because it's not like it was pertinent to me or ever likely will be so no sense in cluttering up my head with it. I assume it was a combination of bans, map picks and counter picks etc but the details are lost on me

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

I've been easing into ranked in AoE 4 again. I've decided to give Delhi a try, and it's good fun. Very strong feudal aggression, and still a decent late game thanks to Tower of Victory buffed handcannons.

This build order works very nicely :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amSVlXvc0d0

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
AoE4 been pretty good recently, I think there has been a surge of upset total war players hopping over to it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
All I need to play AoE4 is people in this thread saying nice things about it. You son of a bitch, I'm in good job marketing director

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

AoE4 been pretty good recently, I think there has been a surge of upset total war players hopping over to it.

not really the same fanbase. What has happened is that a popular total war player also plays AOE4.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Turin is the main reason why I decided to get back into AoE4, he always sounds like he's having a lot of fun.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I may give it another shot soon.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Harveygod posted:

I may give it another shot soon.

you should, i think the game is in a really great spot rn

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Seconding the AoE4 hype, I'm back to playing a few games a week here and there, haven't played since season 2, picked up the japanese civ and having a great time with it.

Mostly doing solo games, but I'd be down to play some team ranked with folks, getting matched up with random teammates is no fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Japanese were a ton of fun in 2, too. I guess they weren't so hot eco wise on non fish maps, but viable archers across the board including deceptively strong cav archers, amazing, nearly faultless infantry, some of the best trebs for treb wars and mini castle towers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Age of Empires developer confirms the game is mostly written in low-level Assembly code because 'we could scroll the screen and fill it with sprites as fast or faster' than competitors like Starcraft 'even though we had twice as many pixels'

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This bit is pretty funny:

quote:

Additionally, sprite drawing in the definitive editions is multi-threaded, and will use up to 4 cores for that task alone."

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Their dedication to latency optimization is pretty cool and sick

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

Fano posted:

Seconding the AoE4 hype, I'm back to playing a few games a week here and there, haven't played since season 2, picked up the japanese civ and having a great time with it.

Mostly doing solo games, but I'd be down to play some team ranked with folks, getting matched up with random teammates is no fun.

I'm mostly active in the evening, central European time.

On another note, NAC 5 is going on in AoE 2, with some very entertaining games.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Noosphere posted:

I'm mostly active in the evening, central European time.

On another note, NAC 5 is going on in AoE 2, with some very entertaining games.

This series has been great. Even though Nili is done after this one I hope somehow there will be LAN tournaments in the future. They've always been fun to watch.

Hera's arena game yesterday was nuts.

Also, drat, DauT is on fire today. He just wrapped up a game that devolved into a giant monk v monk fight. Which only happened because DauT mangoneled his own forward castle foundation to death lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Doubt castle

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

He's playing Andy next and then Viper and after Hera to get to the final, so will be a rough time.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

He's played Andy, that's when he mango'd the castle foundation. He won the set, best he's looked all tournament.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’m a super casual fan, but the vibe for this tournament is incredible. Such a fun community.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

DauT is gonna take it all I believe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So are they entirely done with the with the seasonal events? It's been a loooong time since we had one and I don't think they've missed at least an xmas event previously. I quite liked them; some of the mods you could get were great. I love the boxing gloves, masque rams and pot of stew the most I think.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

NAC V: Yo just lost his king to Jordan's castle :negative:

e: And still wins the set 4-2. That's Yo babeeee :c00l:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 12, 2024

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

NAC V: Yo just lost his king to Jordan's castle :negative:

e: And still wins the set 4-2. That's Yo babeeee :c00l:

Same result as DauT's set yesterday when he mango'd his own castle foundation.

Speaking of which, Viper vs DauT set is happening now:

https://twitch.tv/nili_aoe

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

OK ending, disappointed my tatoh vs daut didnt pan out, though one of the semis was still pretty good

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I can't believe my childhood jam game aoe2 is a thriving community with active game updates in 2024. Back in my day you didn't get "new content" or "DLC"! You went to electronics boutique and bought the box expansion of conquerors so you could play with turkeys!

Love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And, if your were an Australian kid, you got to be really confused by "javelina" and wonder if there was some kind of ranged-attacking meat-source you were about to encounter.