Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

Wait! I wasn't yelling at you.
I was yelling at the duck.

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoQiREllWnI

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love is the fifth main game in the Sakura Wars series, developed by Sega and Red Entertainment. Like the other games in the series, it combines Visual Novel elements with a Tactical RPG.

It is the first Sakura Wars game to be localized in English. It was released on the Playstation 2 in Japan in 2005 - later ported to the Wii - and in North America it was released on the Playstation 2 and the Wii in 2010. The PS2 version came with two discs - one with an English dub and the other with the original Japanese audio. This playthrough will be with the Japanese audio disc.

So Long, My Love features an all new location for the series - New York, NY. The protagonist has changed from series lead Ichiro Ogami to his nephew, Shinjiro Taiga. It also has a brand new main cast with one exception - Ratchet Altair, who previously appeared in the Sakura Wars movie.

The main combat portion of the game takes place as tactical mech battles. These are bolstered by how well you do in the visual novel portion of the game - the better the characters like you, the more powered up their mechs become. You can also enter a romantic relationship, which slightly changes the ending of the game.

To that end, I will have voting open to decide who that person might be. Voting will be open for a while, at least until we get a chance to meet and get to know everyone. If you vote more than once, whatever your latest vote is will be the one counted when voting is called.

The following are the characters Shinji can end up with:

Gemini Sunrise
Current Voting Tally: 6

Sagitta Weinberg
Current Voting Tally: 3

Subaru Kujou
Current Voting Tally: 3

Rikaritta Aries
Current Voting Tally: NO

Diana Caprice
Current Voting Tally: 0

Ratchet Altair
Current Voting Tally: 4

TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER 1: A Samurai Makes His First Stand / Everyone in America Is a JERK
1-1 - Welcome to Tokyo! Now Get the Hell Out!
1-2 - So, This Is America?
1-3 - Running Into New People, Literally
1-4 - A Rival Appears! Poke! Poke!
1-5 - Theater Tour
1-6 - Get Used to Disappointment
1-7 - So Now We're a Toilet
1-8 - I Told You She Was a Klutz
1-9 - Please Take These Worthless Pieces of Paper So I Don't Disappoint My Only Friend
1-10 - Everything Gemini Touches Explodes

If you're enjoying the thread, you can leave a brief comment or a tip.

kethryveris fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

:siren: Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JfQEqgU-gc

When the boy arrives from across the sea,
the doors to our future will open wide!
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love!

Gah!

Don't startle me like that!

Now, where were we...?

:siren: Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR-ntQfV9mY

Oh, right, Japan in the early 20th century. It seems...different than the last time I was here though. There's a distinct lack of homoerotic wrestling tournaments.

Ueno park should be familiar to everyone that followed Spirit Armor's excellent translation LP of the PS2 remake of the first Sakura Wars game. It's still in the forum archives for those that have access, and it's actually still in good shape. I've been re-reading it and haven't found any broken screenshots or video links. Unfortunately, it's not in the LP Archive site as far as I know.

Just like the first game, our hero is a fresh Japanese Naval Academy graduate, and he is waiting for his contact in Ueno Park

[ Shinjiro ]
Mother...here I am, in the Imperial capital of Tokyo!
And tomorrow...my new life in the city will finally begin!

I sense a disturbance in the force.

Run while you still can, Shinji.

Careful, she can smell fear.

I just want to point out how adorably short Shinji is. According to the wiki, he's only 5'4".

[ Sakura ]
Lt. Taiga, please follow me to our secret base beneath the Grand Imperial Theater.

[ Shinjiro ]
Theater...? The main headquarters for our global defense force is under a stage?

[ Sakura ]
Heh. Surprised? Well, we have two very good reasons for that.

[ Sakura ]
First, it's the perfect cover for our clandestine operations. And second...
We quell the evil within the hearts of all citizens through the magic of song and dance!

[ Sakura ]
Luckily, there's all sorts of nooks and crannies backstage to hide the bodies.

[ Shinjiro ]
What?!

[ Sakura ]
We, the Flower Division, combat injustice and defend the peace of this great city...
But we also use the power of the theater to maintain general order. These are our duties.

[ Shinjiro ]
That sounds amazing! And I'm a member too now, right?

[ Sakura ]
Heh. Good luck, Lt. Taiga. Commander Ogami expects much from you.
If I'm not mistaken, you're his nephew, are you not?

[ Shinjiro ]
I am! He's my mother's younger brother. He looked after me when I was a child.

[ Sakura ]
Excellent. I have this questionnaire for you to fill out. Please return it to me by the end of the day.

[ Shinjiro ]
"What is Ichiro Ogami's favorite food? What is Ichiro Ogami's favorite beverage? What is Ichiro Ogami's favorite radio program? What is Ichiro Ogami's greatest fear...?"

[ Shinjiro ]
"What color is Ichiro Ogami's underwear?!" Sakura-san, I don't know that!

[ Sakura ]
I see. Ah, here we are...the Grand Imperial Theater!

[ Shinjiro ]
This is...

[ Sakura ]
Please, come in. The commander has been waiting for you.

WHY ARE YOU STILL WEARING THE TICKET TAKER UNIFORM?!

[ Shinjiro ]
(I haven't seen my uncle in years, and never like this. He makes me nervous...)

[ Sakura ]
Where are your manners, Lt. Taiga? Greet your commander.

[ Shinjiro ]
O-of course!

[ Shinjiro ]
I have been assigned as a full member of the Imperial Assault Force, as of noon today.

And now we get our first introduction to the Live & Interactive Picture System (LIPS).

SHINJI, NO

Let's go with option 2.

[ Shinjiro ]
Lt. Taiga, reporting for duty!

I would like to take this opportunity to note that Shinjiro graduated as a Lieutenant. When Ogami graduated, he was only an Ensign. I'm not really going anywhere with this, except to maybe point at Ogami and laugh since Sumire isn't there to do it for us.

[ Ogami ]
Good boy! Now straighten that back and give it everything you've got, okay?

[ Shinjiro ]
Yes, sir!

[ Ogami ]
Oh, and one other thing, Lieutenant. There's something you should know...
You haven't actually been assigned to the Imperial Assault Force.

[ Shinjiro ]
Oh, you don't say...

[ Shinjiro ]
Wait...what?!

[ Ogami ]
Lt. Taiga, as of now you are assigned to the Star Division of the New York Combat Review.

[ Shinjiro ]
N-New York?! Now hold on-!

[ Ogami ]
It's our newest branch, right behind the Paris Assault Force.
I think you'll be of great assistance to them. I recommended you personally.

So...tiny...

[ Shinjiro ]
But...but...

And you can see the moment his dreams shatter right...here.

[ Ogami ]
You're what, 19 years old now? You shouldn't be afraid of a little international travel.

[ Ogami ]
You should be afraid of Iris.

[ Ogami ]
Don't worry. I was nervous when I first went to Paris, and look at me now! I'm a Commander!
I'll get in touch with a few friends in New York. They can help you if you have any trouble.

[ Shinjiro ]
I-I see...um, thank you, sir.

...I can't help but think that Ogami is going to get an absolute earful from his sister when she finds out he shipped her son off to New York with one day's notice.

:siren: Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa6U6g3O-E

We cut to Shinjiro on an ocean liner, and he pulls a small pouch out of his kimono and looks at it, which triggers a flashback.

[ Ogami ]
Until then, make sure to keep it safe!

[ Shinjiro ]
Okay!

[ Ogami ]
Oh, and one more thing...
Whatever enemy you find yourself up against, just believe in yourself and face it head-on!
Shinjiro-no, Lt. Taiga... I wish you the best of luck.

He's so adorable.

Okay, next, to signify we are in New York, there is a bizarre series of rapid cuts between Shinjiro and a close-up of the Statue of Liberty.

Statue-Shinji-Statue-Shinji-Statue-Shinji

And we arrive in New York. I'm not entirely sure why we're getting here by ship. For someone coming from eastern Asia, it would have made way more sense and been way faster to go to LA or San Francisco and take the train from there to New York than go all the way south to the Panama Canal and then go around the entire country to get up to New York. And for that matter, this is steampunk 1920s, they have airships. You see some just a few seconds later in this video. New York is supposedly under attack by demonic incursions, and Mr. "I'm a Commander Now!" Ogami sent the Assault Force's reinforcement there by the absolute slowest means possible.

What the ever-loving hell?

*Ahem*

Sorry about that. Anyway, Shinji processes through Ellis Island, and then finds himself on the streets of Manhattan.

[ Shinjiro ]
Amazing!

[ Shinjiro ]
This is America... this is New York!

[ Shinjiro ]
This is the city I've sworn to protect with my very life!

[ Shinjiro ]
The New York Assault Force is waiting for me!
...I'll make everyone proud.

Who wants to bet that the haversack he dropped onto the ground while he did that little speech is gone by the time he turns around?

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Ground loving floor. I wonder if this one will also take what felt like a decade.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
:sickos:

placid saviour posted:

Ground loving floor. I wonder if this one will also take what felt like a decade.

Did the other LP ever actually finish??
Godspeed kethryveris.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Did the other LP ever actually finish??

Nope, Slowbeef pulled the plug on it because it was too much of a meme by that point. Honestly a shame IMO.

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Nope, Slowbeef pulled the plug on it because it was too much of a meme by that point. Honestly a shame IMO.

Yeah, it really was too bad. It was so close to the end of the game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I played this he at a rate of "one chapter per session, one session every 6 months" and never finished, which is a shame because it's absolutely insane and totally ruled (Unlike my attempt at Saturn SW1, which is a plodding game). I played the English version so the name changes are throwing me, but count me as a vote for Kieran/Sagitta.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 7, 2020

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

kethryveris posted:

Who wants to bet that the haversack he dropped onto the ground while he did that little speech is gone by the time he turns around?

It's 1920's New York. I'm amazed he managed to get to that random park skyline area without getting mugged by a local gang, mugged by the local police, and otherwise found himself conned, huckstered and shyster'd out of everything but his future children.

Those would have already been earmarked by the New York Mafia.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What can I say, I'm a sucker for the implied/canon/base girl

Gemini.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:getin: That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die. :unsmigghh:

What strange times, we got an international Shin Sakura Wars release and then Sakura Wars LP* is BACK baby. The first LP is how I started lurking on SA, way back in 2008 or 9. [Zalgo]ONIII-CHAAAN[/Zalgo]
Between Sakura Wars, Planescape Torment** and Seorin's Nasuverse, man those were some truly magical LPs.
And hey, I really enjoyed a certain Shadow Hearts LP series.

*yes I know Kethryveris is not Spirit Armor.
**UGH I know. For those that don't know, you don't want to know.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 7, 2020

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Aw, I love this stupid game and I'm happy to see an LP of it all these years later. :allears:

I only ever did Subaru's route, so I really should vote for someone else so that I can see content I haven't seen yet, but whatever, I'm voting for Subaru anyway because they're the best. I'm kinda interested to see how well their portrayal holds up, anyway.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Weirdly, Japan only got the PS2 version, Europe only got the Wii version of this game, whereas US got both versions. I have no explanation for this situation.

BTW, the videos seem to have quite a bit of interlacing, but I don't know if the source is like that or if it's some kind of encoding issue?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The explanation is that the Japanese version came out in 2005, when there was no Wii, and the international version came out in 2010, where they decided to port it to a more recent system to get some more sales.

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

ivantod posted:

Weirdly, Japan only got the PS2 version, Europe only got the Wii version of this game, whereas US got both versions. I have no explanation for this situation.

BTW, the videos seem to have quite a bit of interlacing, but I don't know if the source is like that or if it's some kind of encoding issue?

It's the source video, unfortunately, I think.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh man, I remember playing this on Wii and getting nowhere with it. I'm also a sucker for the canon girl but I uh, don't remember liking Gemini that much so I guess put me down as a vote for Subaru.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My goodness. Sakura Wars.

Voting Ratchet Altair because that’s a rad name.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
Sakura Wars is the new meta. Reading through Spirit Armor's LP was what kept me awake and entertained at my otherwise very boring student job however many years ago so I'm looking forward to this! I think I'll withhold my vote on Best Girl until we've at least met the main cast.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
Wow, kethryveris, I haven't seen you since your Hakuoki LP years and years ago! I actually started playing Hakuoki a couple weeks ago and thought about you. Glad to be on the ground floor of your new LP.

I'm going to hold off on voting because I'm only familiar with the first two SW games and zodiac star names aren't enough for me to decide yet.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Let's be honest, Oogami probably thought he was helping Shinjiro by getting him on a goddamned boat to New York as soon as possible instead of keeping him in the mega death zone that is Tokyo, or sending him to Paris. Unfortunately, Oogami is a fool and rather than having to suffer at the hands of the Imperial Combat Revue, his son will have to deal with Michael Sunnyside.

While we're at it, let's vote for New York's version of Maria, except her backstory is even more ludicrous: Sagitta Weinberg/Cheiron Archer!

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 11, 2020

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
The old LP convinced me to try emulating this game years and years ago, but since I didn't have a controller that could be plugged into my computer at the time the LIPS events and the combat system made me give up after the first act. Eager to see where this goes.

Voting for Sagitta Weinberg/Cheiron Archer.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've never seen a New Game+, so I'm voting Ratchet Altair.

Good luck, and don't run out of steam :v:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, that's two names I haven't heard from in a while around these parts. I'll refrain from voting until I get a better idea of who these girls are, but I think Diana looks the best out of all of them.

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

So, Shinji has made his long and circuitous way to New York, and is now staring up at all the skyscrapers.

Tourist.

...I am still trying to decide if this is an "Americans are fat" joke or "Shinjiro is short" joke.

[ Shinjiro ]
And not just that...look at them!
They all look so different! Their skin, their eyes and hair! It truly is a melting pot!

[ Shinjiro ]
But it looks like whoever was supposed to pick me up is running late.

Suddenly, screams erupt around Shinji.

[ Woman ]
Kyaah! Thief!

[ Shinjiro ]
Thief?! In the middle of the day?!

Hey, buddy, welcome ta BrooklynManhattan!

[ Shinjiro ]
Ah, I can't just stand by and watch! I have to go after him!

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvl9i9yIFWA

Shinji runs through the crowd after the two robbers, who are hilariously carrying bags emblazoned with comically large $ signs and also appear to be time travelers going by the way they are dressed.

[ Shinjiro ]
You won't get away!

Shinji suddenly notices something to his left.

[ Shinjiro ]
What the...?

Death comes from above.

The "B" on his tank top stands for "Bank Robber." So he doesn't forget what he's supposed to be doing and end up opening a checking account or something.

The mysterious cowboy swordswoman slashes them both and rides past. They stand still for a split second and then fall over.

...Jesus Christ, there are soooo many clothing anachronisms in this picture that I don't even know where to start. Like, it's not even that they're steampunky, fantasy versions of 1920's clothing, it's that there's styles from later decades mixed in with them. To keep my sanity, I am going to try to ignore the period inappropriate clothing for the rest of the game.

[ Shinjiro ]
Hey, you there!

"A little head trauma from being hit with the flat of sword never hurt anyone." :v:

A $ bag is still laying on the ground, and the horse casually kicks it at Shinji.

And he catches it. Now his fingerprints are on it. Good job!

[ Shinjiro ]
Hold on!

[ Masked Vigilante ]

[ Shinjiro ]
Um, excuse me...

Asking her name seems the most logical choice of the three, so let's NOT do that.

[ Shinjiro ]
I like your mask. Where'd you get it?

[ Masked Vigilante ]
Made it myself.

[ Shinjiro ]
What?! You mean, like...by hand?

No, she meant by feet. She's actually an orangutan in disguise.

[ Masked Vigilante ]
So long, amigo!

And there she goes.

While everyone cheers like this is all perfectly normal, the camera cuts to this creepy thing that looks like a cross between a rabbit and a French mime. It chuckles and then disappears.

Creepy.

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EdS3s3Kgc

Sirens start blaring followed by the sound of footsteps.

[ Man ]
drat, we're too late! How come she always gets away so fast? Hm? Hey, boy! Where'd you get that?

Oh goddamnit.

[ Man ]
You're under arrest, for bank robbery and blind stupidity. Don't you know where you are?

[ Shinjiro ]
What?! I didn't steal anything! A masked woman on a horse gave it to me! Now who's stupid?

[ Man ]
Yeah, yeah. Tell it to the judge, kid. Now get in the car!

Are...are we just going to ignore the two unconscious men wearing bandannas over their faces?

[ Shinjiro ]
This is an outrage!

[ Shinjiro ]
That horse framed me!

[ Woman ]
Detective Sault, would you release him please?

And now we meet Ratchet Altair. She was a main character in the Sakura Wars movie and used to be the captain of the failed European Star Division. Two characters from that division join the Imperial Flower Division under Ogami in Sakura Wars 2. She only shows up here in the game if you have her route unlocked. Otherwise, a different character shows up.

[ Ratchet ]
It's obvious he was a bystander here. He's not your thief.

[ Sault ]
Dammit, Altair. Thank your lucky stars, kid. She just did you a huge favor.

[ Shinjiro ]
S-sorry. And thanks for saving me.

[ Ratchet ]
Save it. Listen, have you seen any of your fellow countryfolk around here anywhere?

[ Shinjiro ]
Huh? You mean other Japanese? I haven't, sorry. Why do you ask?

[ Shinjiro ]
What?! Th-that's my uncle!

Oh no.

Ogami, what have you done?

[ Shinjiro ]
Yes! Commander Ogami sent me to join the New York Combat Revue. I'm Shinjiro Taiga!

[ Shinjiro ]
So...how do you know my uncle?

And we're just blurting out stuff about the Combat Revue in the middle of a busy street. It's supposed to be secret! Is the inability to understand what the word "secret" means genetic?!

As will become increasingly obvious until even Shinji feels himself getting hit in the back of the head by the clue-by-four, they were expecting Ogami to show up to help them, like how he went to help the Paris division in Sakura Wars 3. So much for "getting in touch with some friends."

[ Ratchet ]
Commander, the situation here is getting grave. We really need you.

[ Ogami ]
Don't worry, help is on the way! Just meet the ship on this date! ...Oops, I gotta go, Iris is having a meltdown and we just repaired that chandelier. Bye!

[ Shinjiro ]
Excuse me, but you ARE from the New York Combat Revue, aren't you?

[ Shinjiro ]
You're...the Captain?

[ Ratchet ]
What, you're surprised? Is it because I'm a woman or something?

Considering how combat mechanics work, if the captain is a woman that makes this a very different kind of game.

[ Shinjiro ]
No, it's just...

[ Shinjiro ]
I'm very pleased to meet you!

[ Shinjiro ]
Yes, ma'am!

[ Ratchet ]
Glad to have such an energetic member aboard.

Stop fidgeting woman, I'm trying to not have a wall of screenshots here!

[ Shinjiro ]
Y-yes, Captain!

[ Shinjiro ]
Sorry, Capt-I mean, Miss Altair.

So, this is our headquarters for the game. It's, uh, it's...something.

:whoptc:

[ Shinjiro ]
So does that mean you guys quell evil through the magic of song and dance, just like in Japan?

At least Shinji is a little quicker on the uptake than his uncle.

What? Who speaks like that? Is that a French saying?

what is going on

[ Ratchet ]
But yeah, people from all kinds of backgrounds come here to have fun. It's the perfect New York.

[ Shinjiro ]
The perfect New York...That sounds amazing!

[ Shinjiro ]
How clever! I didn't know you could grow a garden on a skyscraper.

[ Ratchet ]
Heh. Yeah, the Commander is...unique. That over there is his office.

That's certainly a way of putting it.

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8iCgW4GzM

[ Shinjiro ]
Pleased to meet you, Commander. My name is Shinjiro Taiga. I look forward to serving you.

[ Shinjiro ]
Umm...

[ Ratchet ]
This is Mr. Sunnyside, your commander and owner of the Littlelip Theater.

God help us all.

[ Sunnyside ]
But everyone affectionately refers to me simply as 'Sunny'.

[ Ratchet ]
Actually, we don't.

Cold as ice.

[ Shinjiro ]
(This guy is pretty weird...)

You don't say...

[ Shinjiro ]
Of course, sir! I...
(This is my chance to prove my dedication!)

And here we get our first look at Analog LIPS. Using the left analog stick, you raise and lower the gauge to indicate the intensity of Shinjiro's voice. Let's go all out here.

[ Shinjiro ]
I will devote my soul to you! I will lay down my life to protect the squad!

Yikes.

[ Ratchet ]
Yup. A real modern-day samurai right here.

[ Sunnyside ]
Ah yes, an adherent to the bushido code, correct? But try to relax a bit, okay?

[ Sunnyside ]
I don't like to be too formal around here. Free and easy, loosey goosey, yes yes?

Of course he has a motto. Was anyone at all surprised that he has a motto.

[ Shinjiro ]
O-oh...

[ Ratchet ]
We've arranged an apartment for you in the Village. You can take your things there right away.

That's right, the squad does not live in the theater in this game, despite the fact that a high-rise is part of the theater and there looks to be plenty of room. Hopefully the villains will be polite enough to wait for everyone to make their ways from various spots around Manhattan to the headquarters before they start wrecking poo poo in the middle of the night.

Oh, and "the Village" is Greenwich Village.

[ Shinjiro ]
Thank you very much. I should get going, then.

[ Sunnyside ]
By the way, Shinster...um, are you familiar with 'harakiri'?

[ Shinjiro ]
You mean ritualistic suicide?

[ Sunnyside ]
Bingo! Now, I don't want you to think that harakiri is a viable option here, understand?
That's the quick way out. Here in America, you are expected to live with your mistakes.

[ Shinjiro ]
Y-yes, sir...

No cutting our own guts out, got it.

:whoptc:

And with that, we get to the first opportunity to save in Chapter 1. I'll show what those Condition and Friendship menus mean later when there is actually something to show. In the meantime, this is a good place to end the update. Tune in next week for even more new friends!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The In-Progress Big List of Sunnyside's Nicknames for Shinjiro
Shinster

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"hey kid, you know about suicide? yeah don't do that, cool, bye"

Also the lack of voice acting for Shinjiro and only Shinjiro is really weird and it made the part where you control his loudness make no sense to me until I read the update instead of watching the video. Is this normal in the series?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Let's be honest, if suicide was a way out, Ogami would've done it years ago. Now, the real question remains as to why he sent his sister's daughter to New York. It might be charitable to think it was for his own safety, but is Shinster really safer in New York than he would be in Tokyo or Paris?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hey, hold on a sec, you're not Spirit Armor!

But you're doing a good job carrying on his legacy, keep up the good work :)

Our protagonist doesn't seem quite as hapless as poor SW1 Ogami, but the game's only started and I'm sure there'll be plenty of suffering for him yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

aw guuurrrlll u Ratchet :nyd:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh this is gonna be special, I can already tell. :allears:

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Super Jay Mann posted:

Hey, hold on a sec, you're not Spirit Armor!

But you're doing a good job carrying on his legacy, keep up the good work :)

Our protagonist doesn't seem quite as hapless as poor SW1 Ogami, but the game's only started and I'm sure there'll be plenty of suffering for him yet.

Trust me when I say that Shins is far more hapless than Spirit Armor's Ogami.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fivemarks posted:

Let's be honest, if suicide was a way out, Ogami would've done it years ago.

Imagine for a second being Ogami.
Would you want to discover what Iris or Kohran would cook up to resurrect your corpse, and what would their success look like? Because it's not a matter of "if" they're successful.

Fivemarks posted:

Now, the real question remains as to why he sent his sister's daughter to New York. It might be charitable to think it was for his own safety, but is Shinster really safer in New York than he would be in Tokyo or Paris?

I think it's a mix of the following two:
1) send the poor kid away from the Flower Division's insanity before it's too late.

He's getting American insanity instead, but you know how grass is always greener on the other side? Ogami probably hoped for the best.

2) All the Japanese and French ladies straight up told Ogami he'd not be going to America. Or else.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Omobono posted:

Imagine for a second being Ogami.

I'm good, thanks

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Omobono posted:

I think it's a mix of the following two:
1) send the poor kid away from the Flower Division's insanity before it's too late.

He's getting American insanity instead, but you know how grass is always greener on the other side? Ogami probably hoped for the best.

2) All the Japanese and French ladies straight up told Ogami he'd not be going to America. Or else.

The funny thing is that, for a relative value of sane, the Paris ladies are generally saner and less DANGER DANGER than the Tokyo ladies.

I mean, relatively. One is a pyromancer master thief, another forced Ogami to fight a duel with polearms on a ship, one has abandonment issues, one is clumsy but also a bomb, and we don't talk about the Vietnamese little girl.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there an LP of the previous game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spirit Armor has an ancient incomplete LP of the PS2 remake of the first game that's faded into myth and legend, and none of the other games in the series have been LPed.

You don't really need to know the four previous games, this one was a bit of a soft reboot, and then they soft rebooted it again.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Is there an LP of the previous game?

You just need to know the following things:

1) Ogami is a hapless idiot.

2) The Imperial Combat Revue is full of psychopaths

3) Beware the Little Girls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, that's not really how they are in the games themselves. Just in Spirit Armor's jokes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Out of curiosity, how does Kamiyama from the new Sakura Wars stack up in terms of Japanese Male Romance Protagonist Blockheadedness?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fivemarks posted:

The funny thing is that, for a relative value of sane, the Paris ladies are generally saner and less DANGER DANGER than the Tokyo ladies.

I mean, relatively. One is a pyromancer master thief, another forced Ogami to fight a duel with polearms on a ship, one has abandonment issues, one is clumsy but also a bomb, and we don't talk about the Vietnamese little girl.

I dunno, we never got the Spirit Armor version of the Flower Division, Paris section.

I've seen Erica in Project X Zone. She calls her sub-machine guns Raphael and Gabriel. Because she's a Catholic nun. There has to be so much material there to crank up to eleven, like for Sakura & friends.

(Seconding not talking about any of the little girls)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Junpei posted:

Out of curiosity, how does Kamiyama from the new Sakura Wars stack up in terms of Japanese Male Romance Protagonist Blockheadedness?

About the same as the others so far (I'm only in chapter 2 of 8) but in the scenes where it does actually matter he's way more direct than any protagonist I've seen in quite a while.