Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Watched it a week ago, as a Simons fan it did nothing for me. I'm not sure if it's the format or the source material but the pacing was pretty uneven with its overly long lulls intersped with awkward ellipses. Especially in the first half. Despite the good acting I could not get attached to most of the characters and ultimately felt like the show didn't have anything new or interesting to say about them. Most of them follow a predictable path and whatever social and political commentary there was felt trite to me. (cue the obvious parallels with the current US administration)

It gets grating when the show keeps propping Roosevelt as a hero of the Jewish people when the guy made no particular effort to help European Jews fleeing the Nazis (to say nothing of the Japanese internment camps after the war started) and actively campaigned for reelection on the basis that he would not go at war with Germany.

The show has good production values and does a great job at ramping up tension at times but it ultimately rings hollow.

Also seconding this:

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There were some story points in the finale I didn't 100% comprehend, but that's probably by design.

Like what's with the burning of ballots in the epilogue, has Simons fallen out of love with electoral politics ? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't read the book but apparently there everything just goes back to normal at the end. I thing that would be a huge copout and it makes a lot more sense that those who benefited and liked the direction things were going in under Lindbergh wouldn't just let that happen.

Ok yeah, that's how I interpreted it as well and it's what makes the most sense in context. The other thing I got confused about was the whole plane disappearance plot as well as Evelyn and Lionel getting arrested for it in the middle of the night but there is no real follow up to either. The plane and the president disappearing are sort of hand-waved away with no real resolution and Evelyn and Lionel just get to live free of any consequences despite the accusation of treason.

Did I miss something obvious?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

I really think that the plotline about the weird kid who stalks people should've been cut.

A friend of mine argued that it sets up the youngest going to see Evelyn at her office on his own. It’s not a great payoff but it’s not entirely useless.