Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I do enjoy the Come at the King stuff, but it does have a much different tone. It's kind of like Naddpod and Trinyvale, much better in small doses. I don't know if I'd keep listening if this wasn't going to just be a short term thing. The harpy is loving hilarious to me though.

And I'm relistening because I just signed up for the patreon, and I do enjoy the original characters more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Party Boat posted:

I guess I should check my loving emails! Awesome, thanks.

You can always look on Patreon as well, the link should be in your rewards somewhere.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Warbird posted:

I’d like to get my hands on one of those sonic youth shirts they have but they’re limited to the top tier of the Patreon and that’s limited to like 100 folks. I’d be down to throw 30 bucks at them for my level of enjoyment plus the cost of a shirt but it’s super annoying that I can’t unless someone drops.

I always thought it was kind of weird they only had so many slots for the highest tier. Is it just because they're relatively new?

Though I wonder if you could ask in the Discord about it. I know they just started selling shirts, if enough people are asking for it they might do an extra run or something.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Warbird posted:

iirc, folks at the highest tier get some level of input on the creative process and also get those character sheet thingies. I'd assume they don't want to blow out their time accommodating all that and want to cap it off. That said, let me buy the drat shirt.

Makes sense. In that case I'd start making noise on the Discord. From what I've seen they're fairly active in it, and a merch thing is more likely to be taken seriously than anything else. I know Boggy from Dimension 20 is coming out because people kept saying they'd buy it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Noxville posted:

It’s 2am in the UK and yeah wouldn’t want to try and catch it live.

I watched another show the same way recently, and they managed to set it up so you could watch for the whole weekend if you had bought a ticket for precisely the time zone reason. Surprised they didn't do that here.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's really no reason for them not to sell the Halloween show too, unless they hate money.

It'll be like any other show like that, it'll come out in a month or so. The merch link will only be active during the show though if it's like the last one.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Warbird posted:

I wonder if that is still up. They didn’t really go out of their way to lock down the elf lord store so it’s possible they’re still there if you have the URL.

It's not, it had a timer for when it left the store. You could do it after the show for a bit, but it's gone now.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

tsob posted:

Thanks, that was my assumption and I'll probably have to pause a few times if and when he plays a significant part in later episodes, presuming he keeps the same morphology/mentality and hasn't changed or matured in some fashion beyond child batting around prey to see what it does. At least I know I'm free and clear for the foreseeable future though.

It's either from the Rude talks patreon thing or the dropout adventuring academy show, but Branson said he realized Kebin was way, way too powerful when he introduced him. Kebin coming back for any serious amount of time is definitely a long, long way off. .

And I'm so tempted to get a Riddle Guy 97 shirt. I've never worn tie-dye in my life, but that might be worth it. This show seems to have the right amount of heartwarming and emotional seriousness to balance out the "Stir Fry becomes as erect as possible" hilarity.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Ok, not really a fan of Jane Austen, but the cast playing a Jane Austen themed RPG is loving amazing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

some plague rats posted:

He ate a LOT of humans

Well, he was pretty hungry. They hadn't fed him in a long time.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

There was a surprise extra episode on the Patreon, another Lasers and Feelings episode which was very good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Stirfry and Bellow should kiss.

Well we just learned Bellow has a prehensile tail. That was an interesting tangent.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

They're doing a March Madness bracket for the best character, PC and NPC. There's some pretty strong contenders and I always forget how amazing some of the names are.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

some plague rats posted:

Is it just her doing the deli laugh for five minutes

Also did anyone listen to the new thing. The interlude? What's the deal there, my time is valuable

There's a lot of her laugh, but it's short and pretty funny.

Definitely listen to the interlude, if nothing else it is a great ad for hoping Taylor gets back soon. They all have good antics too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Party Boat posted:

I'm pretty sure they went into this in Rude Talks of Chatting but I can't remember exactly what was said. I'm pretty sure it was more on the improv side of things?

Yeah, it was improv. They've both know each other enough that Branson just let him run with it, and then leaned into it in future episodes when he realized it was a good bit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

some plague rats posted:

Is it just me or is this the most threatening aura for a podcast description to have

As terrifying as it looks, it was very peaceful to listen to.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

New live show coming up. It'll be up the whole weekend too in case people are like me and always seem to miss the beginning.

https://twitter.com/of_rude/status/1384185512219451399

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Finally, De Bonesby got some new pants!"

Also, is Albee going to start duel classing as a barbarian?

For Albee, I think she is, which is pretty cool. They leveled up in one of the Rude Talks. Her new level was kept secret from the listeners, but they said it would be for story reasons that it's revealed, and we'd know it when we saw it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

What was the clip after Convoy with the hapless sheriffs getting dunked on?

Pretty sure it was Smokey and the Bandit 2, that was the Sheriff and his disphit kid from the first one.

And I did get the Brian gently caress travel mug. That is too beautiful to not have in my kitchen.

I did love the bit with Bellow having a capillary break in his nose, and Carly immediately perking up the moment Bellow asked her if she was ok.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Self esteem comes from esteemable acts!" was such a good line to tie everything together.

That's straight up AA, it's Ivan's whole thing informed by Branson. If you know anyone in AA Ivan is very familiar. It's not a bad thing, just a pretty common AA thing.

some plague rats posted:

Branson on the last RTOC mentioned Tim managed to build a super lethal min-maxed character without even knowing he was doing that or ever exploiting it

I think Tim is finally starting to figure some stuff out, which could be interesting.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Debonesby has one in the pirate live show, I don't think Albee has ever had one though?

The World War one, Cry for Freedom she had one and if I remember right pretty hilariously shot a dude.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Also, in case anyone isn't on the discord or missed the bit in the last live show, something is coming out near the end of this month for the Patreon. At least I think it's a Patreon exclusive, it's still unknown at this point. They've got a kind of ARG going on related to this twitter account https://twitter.com/ohthesethose . What's been discovered so far points to a show set in space, with a pretty bad rear end theme song.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Deathlove posted:

Does YOUR favorite actual play podcast have a Tolstoy quote and a giant flesh kaiju piloted by a near-man called Brian gently caress? Not if it's not this one, baby.

I did laugh hardest at NPC Joe Lepore

I preferred Aly's reaction to Bellow having a note for Albee in his pocket that he pulled out while falling. It was just such an immediate response to a throwaway line.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

the "if you stop to gloat, you'll definitely get attacked" was very much a hilarious punishment, but there's no way the rest isn't for narrative

I don't know if it was a punishment as much as it was he knew what Tim would do. I know if I was given that warning I would gloat anyways, he just got screwed with the nat 20.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

This last episode did have a small crossover with characters, but it's not like it's serious canon where you have to know everything about what's going on. It's just fun to hear one of them have to voice a second character on the radio or something like that. It would have worked just as well with a random NPC that got made up on the spot so you wouldn't have missed anything.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The Honey Heist episode was truly amazing. Like Taylor said, even if you only sub for a month and just listen to everything and leave, the Honey Heist by Tim is worth it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

koshmar posted:

This is what finally convinced me to sub. I’ve got a flight tomorrow and I’m saving it for that.

The creation myth at the beginning alone is worth it, it's just loving amazing. Make sure you listen all the way to the end, he does go over plot points the players missed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Party Boat posted:

I don't know who is voicing Swan Boy and I don't know that my brain would accept anyone except Branson

Good news! It's Branson! Seriously, it's him voicing Swan Boy. Someone asked him on Twitter and he said it was him.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DoombatINC posted:

It's gotta be Flipcup, just Branson hollering like he's trying to alert a search party to where he's been buried alive

I don't think it'd be that, he's said that voice is hard as gently caress on his throat. His regular voice would work just fine I think.

Also, if you can't make it to the live New York show they're doing a stream of it as well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

That Deli one is perfect.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I am amazed Carly didn't see that coming.

Her response to it was incredible, now I really want the next episode.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Warbird posted:

They’re doing some dire things to the music licensing budget for the upcoming tv series/movie in this episode.

E- Does anyone know what song was used in that extended banjo bit after Tomboy shows up? It’s very familiar but I can’t place it.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it's Big Rock Candy Mountain. I asked in the discord who did that version but no answer yet, it was really good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

As does Catholism

Yeah, a big chunk of their first live show involved Catholicism. That is one of those weird running gags they have, that some stuff is just Canon and no one talks about it. Having it be Johnson Christ someone says when they curse instead of Jesus Christ is also pretty good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Deathlove posted:

End of Crossroads did the credits get wonky for anyone else? i was expecting something to happen but then it didn't?

I think it has to do with some creepy poo poo about the University, Hell, and the demons. The discord said there's a lot of clues in the music cues through the whole series, and I'm not good enough to tease them all out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

You and me both, if you or anyone else ITT comes across a comedy call of cthulhu role playing podcast please post it to this thread because I've been longing for one of those for years.

Would also be interested in a comedic Vampire: The Masquerade podcast. I loved the Blood Tales of Depravity episode the rude tales cast did, but Branson hated the rulebook for VtM (which is fair, honestly) so we're never getting one of those again and it's left me hungering for more. Although I guess What We Do in The Shadows is basically VtM lARPing, so there's always that to fill that particular void.

Stream of Blood did some pretty cool Cthulhu stuff, their Neptune Society stuff should be up on youtube. There's definitely horror but the players are almost all comedians so it gets to be pretty fun. Several of repeating characters are just ridiculous and yet they still work. Horse cocaine may be one of their better bits, and the live show they did to determine what happens in the next arcs was incredible. They must have had something like 20 people they were switching between during the stream, and even had a running mystery/adventure happening during it.

Becca Scott's Calyx has some decent stuff too. Not as much comedy, but still very entertaining. Not a spinoff, but she's said it's inspired by when she was on Neptune to start her own Cthulhu stream.

Stream of Blood's VtM stuff has some decent comedy in it, but it's more dramatic. Still worth a shot just for Brad Lockwood and the running count of destroyed cars. Also, one of the main players is from that HBO show Raised by Wolves and is not only incredible in his scenes, but his reactions to other players. Dude's just good at twitch gaming.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

some plague rats posted:

Are these podcasts or twitch streams or what? Because if they're twitch streams I'm out but if they're podcasts I will probably give them money

Some twitch, the Vampire one has a podcast version. Calyx is mostly youtube, haven't been able to find a podcast of it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also good that they appear so rarely that it's always kind of a legitimate shock to remember how powerful they are when they do eventually show up. Like if a page of a lovecraft novel got mixed up in a looney tunes script

And yet for all their power, they keep hinting that other demons or even Cordelia's familiar can just shut them down instantly, like a rock paper scissors system they have going on.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

DoombatINC posted:

https://twitter.com/Stobert/status/1521219817151381506

:hai: the Museum of Threes is not the product of a show with a tight grip on its narrative nor a DM that is capable of mistakes

The bit recently where a couple of the characters just went "Lets go on a walk in the woods to look for what we want, oh look, there's a cottage lets go hang out" was apparently just them deciding to go to a cottage in the woods. Entirely made up on the spot, yet sounded like it was a fully fleshed out location he had planned on them going to. There's no way that was railroaded, it just was two people deciding to have a character moment and Branson going along with it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I think you guys missed a bit about the new best NPC besides Flipcup. His bones started knitting back together after he tried to kill himself by falling. Dude could be immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't know if the stats actually bear this out, but I feel like Ali specifically isn't in it as much as I'd like her to be. Maybe she shows up more behind the paywall, or I'm completely wrong, I'd believe either. But it's always a delight when she is

I believe several of them have day jobs, and OTTSOS isn't their big podcast. I just always figured it was who had time in their schedules to do an episode or two. I thought that's why they did it like old Star Trek episodes, someone could drop off one week and come back the next and not mess everything up.

More Ali and more Carly would be great, they play off each other really well but the episodes are always good.