Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started listening to this in earnest after having it in my backlog forever; it took me a little bit to really get into it, but the Kebin episode got me hooked. I just listened to the Brennan Lee Mulligan guest episode and man, that guy goes hard in his roleplaying, he killed it. Was not expecting the kreedis arc to end that way, what a delightful surprise.

I do wish the $5 patreon tier unlocked all the cool bonus stuff like the commentary episodes; the free one they released in the main feed was fun, but I'm already subbed to three D&D podcast patreons and can't quite justify $10/month in my budget for a fourth one, but it is tempting.

It also took me a little bit to warm up to debonesby, but he's won me over now by shooting the rear end in a top hat moon. At this point I'm kind of hoping he never gets any kind of redemption arc and just stays a piece of poo poo (don't spoil it for me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's the sign say? Eggs and chips and boiled...I can't make out the last word

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, he's understated, but he plays stupid very smart. I love the way he says "huh??" in that very particular way when he's baffled by a simple thing, as well as the bit where he was sure that Cordelia had a crush on him.

I only have 10 or so episodes left before I'm caught up, and I think I only started listening like two weeks ago. I promised myself I wasn't going to spend $10/mo on the patreon, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna break that as soon as I run out of free episodes, this show is really funny. Branson has such a gift of language, he reminds of Douglas Adams at times. And then there are lines like "you see a little man with a lovely face that sucks" that also ruin me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

“As ______ as the _______ isn’t.” Is my favorite Branson turn of phrase

Yeah that’s the Douglas Adams stuff; i remember reading hitchhiker’s guide as a kid and losing it at “the spaceship floated in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

"You can see it from space depending on where you consider space to start"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still getting caught up, but I just listened to Ruleshaven (the one after Ruleshaven) and man, Ding Dong goes the Bell is catchy as hell. I've had it in my head for days.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I am enjoying the trend of tim's characters stumbling into positions of status. hopefully it works out better for stirfry than it did for smellulus (although it must be said that smellulus really did deserve to die)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i don't know what the canonical voice of swan boy is, but if it's anything like literally any single one of his NPC voices, it's gonna be good

my gut says cheddar

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished honey heist and man, Tim Platt has a real one of a kind brain

Also my itunes hosed up and I thought it stopped before the end of the episode but uhhh it basically didn't lol, i missed a lot less than i'd immediately assumed

There's a lot to love about that ep, but my lowkey favorite moment was Branson doing like a minutes-long monologue in which he dictated the actions of one of the NPCs and then remembered he wasn't the DM and quickly tacked on "...can I do that?" at the end

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

joe's "you're a journalist" joke caught me completely off guard and assassinated me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Champagne Champagne was a truly an inspired creation, rest in peace you beautiful baby.

happy birthday

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It occurs to me now that this is the second time the riddle crew has guested on a D&D podcast I listen to (dungeons and daddies is the other one) and they killed both times, I should really check out their actual podcast some time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

it's so easy to forget that that's what the original "one fear" joke was

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

Please, if anything he's smooth sharks guy

he'll always be bee knife guy in my heart

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Branson is 6'3".

I finally got around to listening to the last Rude Talks and man, that's the stuff I pay extra for, I gar-on-tee

It's a surprise to me to learn that branson is tall every single time, because he has real Short Energy. I can't explain what exactly i mean by this, it isn't pejorative at all, he just has an energy that i associate with short people

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Taylor is Chris’ alternate vacation skin

i've accepted that i will never be able to tell them apart in photos

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Finally listened to the latest main ep: I wonder if Joe and Ali planned that out in advance or if Joe decided in the moment to make things more interesting after hearing Ali's scene

Also lol at all of Taylor's ad read, he could not keep a straight face for it at all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think you keep access until your next billing cycle, so you could just pay $10 once and have a very rude tales centric month

I’m subbed at that level, and I am enjoying it, but I do kind of wish you’d get the talk tracks at the $5 level like the other patreons I sub to (dungeons and daddies and naddpod). Especially since ottsos is a separate patreon. But whatever, their bills, their business, nobody has a gun to my head

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I remember her getting called out in one of the rude talks of chatting for some thing she did (positive, obviously) and being like hang on, that name sounds familiar.

Also Ali Fisher is publishing Jamie Loftus' book about hot dogs. Nothing to do with voidburger or SA in general as far as I know, just another weird intersection of people that I like doing things together

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Whoa

https://twitter.com/of_rude/status/1466412537705074703?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

he got me, the son of a bitch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Finally go around to listening to We Get to Have You and the last 15 minutes absolutely floored me. I'm going to have to listen to it again to try and process it

Funniest moment is a close tie between Ali being forced to sing and flipcup absolutely losing his poo poo at the end but I've got a huge weird soft spot for the guy at the start looking at them, looking at the callstones and just declaring "gently caress the police"

Ali being forced to sing is one of those beautiful moments where you can tell that they all came up doing improv together, I love it when they pimp each other outside of their comfort zone like that. I did improv for a while too, and Ali's joking, but also kind of not, "gently caress you" when she realized what was happening felt very familiar

bonus points to branson for refusing to let anyone help her

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok here’s some exciting news that definitely isn’t fake this time

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/1469005562100604932?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think this is my first christmas season since I started listening to rude tales, and I have to say, it's really hard to hear god rest ye merry gentlemen without cracking up a little

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really enjoyed chris immediately tagging the Hess truck in as soon as he saw someone else also had a car-themed idea

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started listening to OTTSOS after letting a backlog build up, and it's pretty good, but I have to ask, do they ever stop using that awful visceral ASMR tentacle sound for groomda? I have some noise sensitivity issues and it makes my loving teeth itch, I can't focus on anything else whenever they do it. I was hoping someone else would have yelled at them but it's been in 3 episodes so far and I dunno if I can keep going if that's gonna be a constant.

That said, Cavvie the ship mascot pulled me back in when I was about to bail, Branson is such a dynamo. Is that what happens to people when they quit drinking? I should give it a try

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I love this show's music choices but watching Legion has ruined Bolero in anything else for me.

This was a fun experiment and dang the performers were working hard at the setup, but it's pretty confusing as a listener. They weren't consistent about whether names referred to bodies or minds and I kept having to stop to figure out what was happening.

I did enjoy that apparently the only person it's actually enjoyable to be is Bellow.

Yeah I wouldn't have hated a quick thing at the top of like "for the listeners, it's been a while since the last episode, so here's a recap of who's who and what the rules of the body swap are". i didn't quite follow what was happening, but i still had fun getting lost

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

from this week's rude talks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

some plague rats posted:

No! He's literally the only person this has ever happened to! He's completely unique and the main reason the show is as good as it is

I've completely fallen off OTTSOS. Joe is just too low energy as a DM, I find myself losing interest by about the 20 minute mark

I think I'm kind of falling off of OTTSOS, too, unfortunately. I'm up to King of Queens and I wish that Tim had learned maybe 4-5 more facts about Henry VIII or listened to a recording of the voice he's doing before committing to this character for 90 minutes

I don't think I'm going to abandon it entirely, since the episodic nature of it means that a mediocre one doesn't set the tone for the rest of them, but I don't drop what I'm doing and listen to new eps as they come out like I do with Rude Tales. Branson's characters have always been a blast at least.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

TBH the Henry VIII ep was probably my least favorite so far. I don't know if I'm just becoming more acclimated to Joe's style or they're finding a groove, but I've been enjoying OTTSOS more and more recently, and I feel like he's been hitting the pacing better. I do enjoy Legs but Taylor's other characters have made me laugh out loud a lot more.

Yeah I don't think I'm going to fully abandon it because when it's good, it is really good (still laugh thinking about Cavvie), I'm just gonna let episodes build up and select from the good ones I think

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've started listening to Dungeons and Daddies while I wait for Rude Tales to return (the recording is done, now Taylor must edit it into something cohesive) and I've really been enjoying it. I'm the kind of person who likes their actual play podcasts to be 90% goofy bullshit and 10% sincerely heartfelt character moments and Dungeons and Daddies is one of the only non-Rude Tales podcasts that hits that perfect ratio I crave.

You're in for a treat, that podcast is amazing. They just started the first ep of their second season and it's a banger. The DM, Anthony Burch, actually cited Rude Tales as an inspiration for how to introduce characters in a fun and organic way (plugging them straight into the world and having them react with an NPC instead of having the player do a monologue about themselves), so the similarity of vibes is pretty strong.

Check out Not Another D&D Podcast for something in a similar vein, too. I'll also plug Dragon Friends, but that one is even more chaotic than any of these other three. Every episode is performed in front of a live audience, so there's a lot of (fun, good-hearted) conflict between the players and the DM to get laughs from the crowd. Also all of the NPCs are played by a separate guy, so sometimes even the DM's own NPCs turn against him. I think it's my personal favorite D&D podcast, but it's very very jokey, it's not for everyone if coherent storytelling and emotional character building is important to them (this isn't to say that the DM doesn't try to tell a good story, it's just rare that the players cooperate with it in the way that he might have hoped when he was planning)

some plague rats posted:

I've heard it's good but frankly the hideous name prevents me from ever actually listening to it

Also I'm fully over d&d. I dropped out of OTTSOS, I tried and failed to get into fun city, what I need is a rude tales type podcast but playing call of cthulhu or something like that

That's a shame, it really isn't cringey or anything like that at all. It's just about 4 dads trying to get their kids back. It's also extremely loose, mechanically, and honestly the DM might be as over D&D as you are, he complains about the mechanics a lot and doesn't hesitate to ignore them when they aren't fun

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inkspot posted:

"G'day, cunts! Welcome to me castle!" is the only way to introduce a BBEG.

It's either that or snagglepuss, those are the only acceptable options

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

routinely the player with the horniest energy

I argue this is inarguable

Albee gets a nosebleed

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Found some more rad fan art on twitter

https://twitter.com/captainclaude/status/1491818339399786498?s=20&t=KA8LKIOMBB3FwOWxQiftAA

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Time has been such a blur, generally, that I didn't realize they'd been off for so long, or that they'd even planned to take a break. i think 2 weeks just kind of generally feels like an eternity in terms of podcast release cadence, that there's functionally no difference between 2 and 6, at least not to me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

Feel the need to reiterate: drat I love how Branson does demons. It's certainly not a pleasant experience (nor should it be, lol) but Jesus Christ is it effective.

It's also good that they appear so rarely that it's always kind of a legitimate shock to remember how powerful they are when they do eventually show up. Like if a page of a lovecraft novel got mixed up in a looney tunes script

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok, I feel less stupid for not remembering any of that now. The one two punch of the long gap and then referencing very old episodes was too much for my feeble long term memory to track.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm only half way through but Chris is extremely funny in this one so far

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

this podcast has some incredible fanartists (i suppose they just liked to be called "artists")

https://twitter.com/Zhjake/status/1504935344533291010?s=20&t=-l9vjN1qwBfj78r_CNFD3g

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lol jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Branson cracking himself up with his own goldilocks riff was probably the highlight for me

That and Ali's "the big one is actually probably better for me" or however she phrased it