Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I'll second Maprunner as being almost indispensable. Also, I tend to turn on Diesel Creek videos in the background so I can truck while some doofus is fixing a truck. He even has a thread favorite International Loadstar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I went back and tried Mudrunner, I can't really recommend it. It's kinda interesting to compare, the physics are definitely a bit different, the vehicles feel heavier I think. Maybe the terrain deformation is different too? I'm not sure.

But the game is extremely sparse compared to Snowrunner. The maps are pretty small, and there's way less variety of activities. You can do some stuff like moving around cargo to open up garages and fuel stations, but otherwise the maps are all centered around the task of transporting logs to sawmills. But most of all, it's way uglier and doesn't have the snowrunner atmosphere. All the maps I saw kinda looked the same, mostly forests and swamps, they don't really have much individual character or anything interesting to look at. The world is also covered in low visibility fog, I'm not sure if this is a performance thing or what, but it makes it kinda look like a PS2 game. You can never see more than a few hundred feet, and there are no pretty views or anything. Also, no in game music.

It really made me appreciate the Snowrunner "vibe" factor. The maps, regions, and soundtracks all very well made and have very distinct personality to them, and to me that's part of what makes it enjoyable to put so much time into what is otherwise a very slow and "boring" game!

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Welcome to the truckin' life :clint:

I don't think you really need to look at mods from the start, if you got the season passes that's hundreds of hours of content to get through and plenty of vehicles.

Thanks!

Agreed on not feeling the need to mod. I might look for a good Jeep Wrangler mod to grab though as that's my RL vehicle and the reviews for the official one are mixed because the engine rev sounds super weird... and I think if I were driving that alot in game that would be annoying.

B33rChiller posted:

Here's some stuff I found helpful.
Tips
https://youtu.be/o0bjBPjSs-M?si=B79-Cp5sc0ajEVzA
https://youtu.be/2C9MnaG4D_g?si=esRzVBqAPRWZ3Yij

Make money and experience at high rates, for to unlock good tires and buy trucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNRTGRDSRU8
Here's probably a world record run on that route.
https://youtu.be/62gyeh1HBgo?si=yrzZ1Kcrh98mudNv

Navigation and route planning map analysis playlist
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs-2o6Oj62sStZbX8gJVpmYsCVmWqzkhw&si=e10pR_oskie9EsjN

After you've done the tutorial, you might want to switch maps to Russia, and get yourself one of the best all round trucks in the game for free.
https://youtu.be/vT-xdSP0Rj4?si=2LuruVJ9JDKkk1pY

One other suggestion is that you download the anniversary dlc, which is free, and gives you a couple decent (and high value, if you want to sell them) trucks for free.

The 3 year pass has some capable, and a doofy little truck. The bandit and the other heavy are really useful trucks. The little tatra is fun garbage, in my opinion.

Thanks, I'll check those out... but I don't think I'll look to highly optimize to give myself a crutch early. Appreciate the suggestion though.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'll second Maprunner as being almost indispensable. Also, I tend to turn on Diesel Creek videos in the background so I can truck while some doofus is fixing a truck. He even has a thread favorite International Loadstar!

Maprunner is bookmarked. I'll check it if I get stuck looking for something. I really like the idea of having something playing in the background or second monitor while I offroad. Any other suggestions? Can't be too distracting though, I'm sometimes one blink away from rolling off an edge.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Scrappy Industries is another good truck/heavy equipment channel. Getting distracted just adds a different degree of difficulty to the game, right?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Good thinking. This game is quite flexible for setting your own challenge. If you want the exploration and to attempt it as presented, it's there.
If you're getting frustrated, or a particular obstacle is a pain, there's resources to deal with it, or other things you can do instead.
No penalty for recovering all your trucks, putting them in storage, and deploying on another region for more exploration and different terrain.
If you want more challenge, you can say "no recovering to garage, only physical rescues. Or only interior view, or, or, or....

I did find the progress in unlocking better tires awful slow, especially heading into Alaska afyer Michigan without chains. That's when I started grinding exp.

Oh, one other important tip. On normal mode, you recover 100% cost when selling upgrade parts and trucks. So if you want to buy a new truck to try out and are a bit short, or you bought a truck and hate it, you can just sell it and get all your money back.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Artadius posted:

Maprunner is bookmarked. I'll check it if I get stuck looking for something. I really like the idea of having something playing in the background or second monitor while I offroad. Any other suggestions? Can't be too distracting though, I'm sometimes one blink away from rolling off an edge.

If you're a podcast / audiobook person, Snowrunner is great for those. I was always caught up on every podcast for the months I was playing the base game. And I made it through a few long audiobooks as well.

I've yet to really sink my teeth into anything past Season 3 of the DLC but I've got some 20+ hour listens lined up for when I do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Hard sounds like a fun second playthrough.

Hard Mode is pretty difficult to succeed in, but it's not impossible. There's more than a few people who have made it to even the latest DLC map content on a hard mode save and completed it. You do have to be a lot more careful about how you accomplish tasks though, as damage is money lost and money is what keeps you going.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

super fart shooter posted:

[...]
[...]Also, no in game music.

It really made me appreciate the Snowrunner "vibe" factor. The maps, regions, and soundtracks all very well made and have very distinct personality to them, and to me that's part of what makes it enjoyable to put so much time into what is otherwise a very slow and "boring" game!
:yeah: if it weren't for the vibes from the overall aesthetic and especially the music, snowrunner would be just plain uninteresting to me

like the kola peninsula is pretty lovely and annoying to drive through, but then - and i know i've posted this before - this song kicks in with the sunrise and transforms the whole thing for me in a way I can't quite describe other than to repeatedly gush about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9NprU7wajY&t=794s

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Friendship ended with 2x Twinsteer for 8x cargo moving, now FEMM 37-AT with ramped trailer is my new best friend.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

Friendship ended with 2x Twinsteer for 8x cargo moving, now FEMM 37-AT with ramped trailer is my new best friend.

The IRL FEMM 37-AT (Yamal 6M) looks like a wild design.

Seven driveshafts; engine to front transfer case, which splits between the front differential and
a short shaft that runs through the hydraulic steering mechanism, then out again to the rear transfer case that delivers power to twin driveshafts running to the rear diffs. I count fourteen (sixteen?) universal joints from front to back.

Specially developed high flotation tires, Cummins power, ??? transmission (probably Allison), ??? transfer cases and diffs, all plopped on/in a custom chassis carrying a cab from MAZ-MAN out of Belarus.

Does anyone else smell burnt gear oil?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

The IRL FEMM 37-AT (Yamal 6M) looks like a wild design.

Seven driveshafts; engine to front transfer case, which splits between the front differential and
a short shaft that runs through the hydraulic steering mechanism, then out again to the rear transfer case that delivers power to twin driveshafts running to the rear diffs. I count fourteen (sixteen?) universal joints from front to back.

Specially developed high flotation tires, Cummins power, ??? transmission (probably Allison), ??? transfer cases and diffs, all plopped on/in a custom chassis carrying a cab from MAZ-MAN out of Belarus.

Does anyone else smell burnt gear oil?
Whoa, thanks for poking my curiosity. Looks like Yamal makes a few insane contraptions for the snow.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I wanted to like the FEMM but the way it's articulated drives me nuts. Every little tap of the joystick to adjust sends the bed in the opposite direction and just irks me.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So cross save play works between SR on Switch and Xbox, correct? Going to be doing a bit of traveling, including some overseas stuff, and I'm going to have a lot of time in the air and in airports so I was wondering about buying the game for Switch if I can import my save data over (yes, I'm aware it would be expensive needing to purchase various DLC's!)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The FEMM throws its bed to the outside of turns, and hitting any kind of obstacle will bend the hydraulic joint as if it's made out of wet noodles... but it's the only truck in the game that can carry 4 slots and a trailer. Through it, we can see a glimmer of what the Twinsteer could be if it could pull a trailer. Towing a big Kenwood with three slots and a crane kind of makes up for tipping over at the drop of a tree stump.

Relatedly, is there a setting or something that lets trailers in trucks you are towing turn their wheels? For me, whenever I tow a truck that has a trailer, that trailer acts as if the parking brake is engaged. On Windows.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

poo poo, fellas, I hit that pole pretty hard!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is the switch port pretty good?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Philippe posted:

Is the switch port pretty good?

I find it quite fun. The graphics aren't as crisp as what I see in gaming videos (pc and other consoles), but it plays smooth enough. Loading screens between maps can take a bit, but nothing horrible.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Just got a PS5 and did the digital upgrade. Have to do the tasks and contests in the Quarry to get the platinum trophy again, but that's fine. Took the ol' Azov out for a spin and immediately hit something that borked my suspension. Those controller haptics are pretty nuts, really felt like the truck was dragging along until I could repair it.

I only ever made it into the second DLC map so I've got a bunch of snowrunnin' ahead of me, without the PS4 Pro sounding like a vacuum cleaner right next to my ear the whole time. Feels good to be back in the mud's warm embrace.

Edit - and I'm also learning to fear those deadly tree branches again.

Edit x2 - oh god there's a Year 4 pass already?

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 24, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Bummer you have to do One With the Truck again. You could try deleting your PS5 save and reimporting to get that trophy to trigger. I think I remember seeing something about that. Also only specific tasks/contracts from the base game count towards it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It's not too bad. I think I have a total of 13 things left to do in Taymyr. The trophies were messed up for years on PS4 so DLC tasks were counting towards the number needed for the plat. Seems like that got cleaned up so I just have to go back and get some Quarry and Zimm stuff done. I think the Rift still isn't needed. The Azov and Tayga will see me through!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Paying2Lurk posted:

Just got a PS5 and did the digital upgrade. Have to do the tasks and contests in the Quarry to get the platinum trophy again, but that's fine. Took the ol' Azov out for a spin and immediately hit something that borked my suspension. Those controller haptics are pretty nuts, really felt like the truck was dragging along until I could repair it.

I only ever made it into the second DLC map so I've got a bunch of snowrunnin' ahead of me, without the PS4 Pro sounding like a vacuum cleaner right next to my ear the whole time. Feels good to be back in the mud's warm embrace.

Edit - and I'm also learning to fear those deadly tree branches again.

Edit x2 - oh god there's a Year 4 pass already?
aww, i wish the PC version supported the dualsense haptics :(

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Copped this on Xbox after copping on the switch. Will enjoy using Spotify on the Xbox whilst trucking. Expeditions to drop soon, no?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Any snow heads copping expeditions? I have preordered. And proud of it.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I will be picking it up for sure. And a couple days later unicorn overlord comes out making March the month to beat for my niche gaming interests.

Expeditions trophy list is out. None of the smash pumpkins crap from Snowrunner. You can see the region names and there are at least 20 trucks.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

ultrachrist posted:

I will be picking it up for sure. And a couple days later unicorn overlord comes out making March the month to beat for my niche gaming interests.

Expeditions trophy list is out. None of the smash pumpkins crap from Snowrunner. You can see the region names and there are at least 20 trucks.

Good to hear. By all means mosey on over to the expeditions thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4055061&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post537998055

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Alright, finished off the PS5 platinum last night. Had a little bit of a rough time jumping right back into Taymyr after not playing for a year or so, but got my Snowrunner legs back under me pretty quickly. Just had to embrace that Low+ lifestyle again.

Now it's on to Lake Kovd! I got a few things done there when it first released, but now I'm out to finish every DLC in order. Not buying Expeditions until I finish them all.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Paying2Lurk posted:

Alright, finished off the PS5 platinum last night. Had a little bit of a rough time jumping right back into Taymyr after not playing for a year or so, but got my Snowrunner legs back under me pretty quickly. Just had to embrace that Low+ lifestyle again.

Now it's on to Lake Kovd! I got a few things done there when it first released, but now I'm out to finish every DLC in order. Not buying Expeditions until I finish them all.
Right on. I'm just about done scanning the map on Lake Kovd, and just got the f750. It's certainly a step up in challenge from Alaska. Deep snow covering the roads, and breakable ice, sunofa...
I haven't done the logging missions on the first 3 areas, but completed all the other tasks.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Don't bother logging until you have the 605r for short and Aramatsu for mediums.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
If you think lake kovd is bad, then brace yourself for map 2!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

trevorreznik posted:

Don't bother logging until you have the 605r for short and Aramatsu for mediums.

Cat 745 is good for medium logs too

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

trevorreznik posted:

I would say use whatever is appropriate for the map. the wws will do the michigan logging much faster than the 605r, but it's going to eat poo poo in amur

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Anyone playing Expeditions yet? It's not completely out yet but if you bought the premium version it's available now, also it's already been pirated. Figured a whole new thread probably isn't necessary since it's so similar to its forebearers.

So far I like it, pretty much more of the same just some different kinds of locations, different and more expansive missions, and new tools. I find some parts of it a bit confusing, especially when it comes to finding and using upgrades, and restocking/selling stuff. And I've only checked out the tutorial map and the very first section of the second map. Love how it looks and feels though, just need some more time to figure everything out.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
There's an Expeditions thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055061

Seems different enough to warrant having its own place to discuss stuff.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Paying2Lurk posted:

There's an Expeditions thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055061

Seems different enough to warrant having its own place to discuss stuff.

Ah my bad, thanks friend

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/62GOQTR.mp4

front end crew expansion when.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It's a huge failure that the game is solo only. I have hundreds of hours in Snowrunner but no reason to pick up expeditions without the ability to play with people.

edit: oh there's a thread, sorry!

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 6, 2024

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Does anyone know if a PS5 saved game can now sync with other platforms via PROs?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Man, season 12 is a rough start with the way these islands work. I've also had a whale of a time dragging the 770g trailer through mud, it gets stuck more horribly than anything else I've seen in a while.

I've gotten a lot of map scouting done by just driving the twinsteer around in the deep water but keep flipping it stupidly. Probably should send some more in and I won't ever need to fix the giant bridge.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I decided to just go for a drive to try out some of the maps I haven't touched yet, and thought I would try BC out.
Cool drive with lots of verticality. But huge LOL at the size of shoreside gear and industry around Gold River. It is nowhere near that developed. Lots of the cargo that moves through there floats (raw logs), so there is no need for large gantry cranes. They got the size of the village about right. Single gas station type place. They do have a sporting clays course there though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Copped Mudrunner cause it's on sale for a song right now.

Don't know why I didn't try this game sooner as I primarily play race sims these days so its kind of adjunct in gameplay and I used to put in a lot of hours into Euro Truck 2.

Pleasantly surprised and I'm enjoying it thus far, I'm digging the bleak foggy bog atmosphere and soviet trucks belching smoke. Seems Snowrunner adds a ton more variety and since it always goes on sale so I think I'll get my money's worth of Mudrunner and then pick up Snowrunner during the summer sale.