Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IIRC Expeditions specifically isn't going to be about hauling anything anywhere, more along the lines of scout work, which is why they didn't call it -runner anything and instead called it "Expeditions: A Mudrunner Game".

Kinda curious what they'll do with it, but it's going to need to be a lot in order to build a game that I want to sink my teeth into for anything like the time I've put into Snowrunner and Mudrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5Dj3dSJlQ

lmao at this trailer.
I think I'm gonna go with Switch on this instead of ps4, is there any real reason not to from people who have snowrunner on each system?

As I've mentioned before, I started playing Snowrunner on the Switch, and it's impressive that it runs at all, but performance leaves a lot to be desired, along with the visuals. I'd at least wait to hear about how this game runs on the Switch from someone else who gets it.

madeintaipei posted:

I should try to emulate this early run next time. See how far I can get with the little Chevy and how many parts I can unlock for it by using only... it.

Remind me, do you have to warp into Alaska to get to Smithville Dam from Black River during the tutorial?

That guy really raised some interesting questions via his unconventional start to the game. Normally, you have to get to the BR garage, then travel to Alaska before the game will let you loose (and consider the tutorial complete.) This pubbie probably ignored the BR garage, discovered the SD garage instead, then went to and from Alaska. This, crucially, allowed him to enable co-op, but because he didn't finish the tutorial it broke some things in the game, like not spawning those bridge repair contracts/tasks.

So if you know what you're doing, you can get around that roadblock and go north to SD to get to the garage, and while it'll still probably make you go to Alaska, the latter is not a prerequisite for reaching SD.

Also note that if you need to recover before discovering a garage, the game will spawn you back at the starting point, meaning you can't soft lock yourself.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Finished Scandinavia. I think this one is my least favorite region just because it doesn't have its own identity. I did like the movie trailer rig, and how there was a nice variety of missions including an easy seismic.detector, but a huge part of the second map was just forgettable outside the main road.
Season 2 and 7 are probably "worse" but also more memorable. Even the music was bland.

Looking forward to season 12 and.for.what looks to be like the single best truck in the game for mass cargo hauling, even though it'll never replace the twinsteer in my heart.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I was pretty disappointed with the bizarre lack of verticality in the scandi maps. I wanted cliffs and treacherous mountain passes, not the world's flattest ski hill.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Some content makers were given a preview of Expeditions. Looks interesting. Seems a lot smaller in scope, maybe more linear than Snowrunner's big open maps. Hard to imagine it will be a "hundreds of hours" game like Snowrunner, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynn-fdsOBUc

I've kinda run out of things I feel like doing in Snowrunner for now, so I picked up Mudrunner for a few bucks in the winter sales. Haven't started it yet but I'm mostly interested to see how the physics differ, since I've seen people say they liked it better

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's pretty funny how fuckin mad people are on steam about how this game is not a return to Mudrunner hard as balls simulator. I honestly always loved discovering a map for the first time in a scout in Snowrunner and did not always love trucking things back and forth on the map so I'm actually looking forward to this quite a bit. I guess we'll have to see just how linear the maps are but I suppose it makes sense considering it doesn't look like there's going to be much hauling at all here.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
To me, Snowrunner works best as a sandbox game. It's got low stakes, it's just a big sandbox you can sit in and play with your toy truck collection. That means it's fair to have lots of dumb filler jobs, cause whatever, it's just an excuse to play around with different toys.

But I am also interested in a more focused game, with more of a sense of progression, even if it's less expansive. So I hope this is what the new game delivers.

And I know some people see this as the purpose of hard mode in Snowrunner, but it's never really appealed to me... in addition to being kinda tacked on well after the game's release and seeming like it's maybe not particularly well thought out and balanced, it really only serves to reduce the amount of toys you have to play with. But I think it has much more potential if they're designing the game around this idea from the start

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope there's a final boss and that the final boss is Truckasaurus

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Epic High Five posted:

I hope there's a final boss and that the final boss is Truckasaurus

winching and rock crawling all the way up to the weak point on its head like shadow of the colossus

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
FUUUUUUCK these oil barrels! And this stupid truck I can't not flip over trying to get to and from the river.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

PerniciousKnid posted:

FUUUUUUCK these oil barrels! And this stupid truck I can't not flip over trying to get to and from the river.

In Smithville dam? That's the first task that completely defeated me and I had to come back to it later. I think I had to reset it as well after losing some of the barrels.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

In Smithville dam? That's the first task that completely defeated me and I had to come back to it later. I think I had to reset it as well after losing some of the barrels.

My truck somehow slid into the river while I was trying to operate the crane on the fourth barrels. If I'd had to reset the whole mission I think I would've punched the screen.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Season 12 comes out on the 31st. But also, they just announced year 4 is coming

https://forums.focus-entmt.com/topic/65299/january-community-update/2

"Dig & drill" and "oil & dirt" are pretty obviously going to involve oil industries, or possibly mining I guess. But I'm a little skeptical about "reap & sow" they better not make us do more farming, or I hope at the very least they make it suck way less

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

super fart shooter posted:

Season 12 comes out on the 31st. But also, they just announced year 4 is coming

https://forums.focus-entmt.com/topic/65299/january-community-update/2

"Dig & drill" and "oil & dirt" are pretty obviously going to involve oil industries, or possibly mining I guess. But I'm a little skeptical about "reap & sow" they better not make us do more farming, or I hope at the very least they make it suck way less

Reap & sow should be a smuggling and running from the cops expansion.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MajorBonnet posted:

Reap & sow should be a smuggling and running from the cops expansion.

Bootlegger back roads races. :getin:

I haven't started the farming stuff yet, but I spent a gorillion hours in farming simulator 16 on 3ds, so if it's just boring back and forth crop stuff like in that game, I'm set.
Love a chill easy drive for relaxing.
Spread that poop, plant the seeds, collect the profits, mmmmm good.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

B33rChiller posted:

Bootlegger back roads races. :getin:

I haven't started the farming stuff yet, but I spent a gorillion hours in farming simulator 16 on 3ds, so if it's just boring back and forth crop stuff like in that game, I'm set.
Love a chill easy drive for relaxing.
Spread that poop, plant the seeds, collect the profits, mmmmm good.

I enjoy farming in many games and am a real life tractor nut. I was VERY excited about the inclusion of farming. I can say that the farming in snowrunner sucks rear end and is unenjoyable. The actual physics are ok, but turning around in the fields with attached implements is a very painful endeavor, as many of the fields seem to be designed in a way to make it feel as janky as possible (ditches on each side and fences that don't allow turning around). And I guess the fences being so tight to the fields would be ok if they wouldn't break the physics every now and then causing wild poo poo to happen. It winds up being a thing where I just drive laps around the fields like a maniac.

That said, it is fixable probably. More design time needs to be spent on it to have a more eloquent solution IMO. I'm sure it will still be gimmicky, but it could at least be a fun gimmick!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah the main problem with farming is that the tractors are awful, they have turning radii that can only be measured on a cosmic scale. The cramped fields don't help, you often have to weave around a bunch of trees and buildings and stuff just to get turned around for another pass. And the trailers that you have to attach to them make them even more cumbersome to maneuver. I gave up on trying to do neat rows and just zig-zag across the field until the progress bar says I've done enough. It's pretty lame

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That's a bummer to find out. But I guess better this way, than through frustration.

Would you have a better suggestion for tractor driving on switch?
I don't really care for the business sim side of farm games, because it reminds me too much of all the real life reasons I don't want to farm.
I just want the fun active stuff.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Season 12 is here and there's some kinda glitch where certain trucks get stuck in storage and can't be deployed. Had to sell and rebuy the Kenny, the Twinsteer, the Derry Special, Azov 7, and one of my Voron AE's. Very glad I wasn't on hard mode so I didn't lose a ton of dosh. Very annoying anyways.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

apophenium posted:

Season 12 is here and there's some kinda glitch where certain trucks get stuck in storage and can't be deployed. Had to sell and rebuy the Kenny, the Twinsteer, the Derry Special, Azov 7, and one of my Voron AE's. Very glad I wasn't on hard mode so I didn't lose a ton of dosh. Very annoying anyways.

Yikes, thanks for letting us know. I'll wait a little bit before playing it just so I don't have to go through the annoyance of redoing all the upgrades/paint jobs.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

apophenium posted:

Is this a persistent thing that can keep happening or just a one time thing with save files moving to the new patch?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Here's a link to a reddit thread about it. Seems to affect all platforms

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

Is this a persistent thing that can keep happening or just a one time thing with save files moving to the new patch?

Honestly no idea. Hopefully just a one time thing.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Watching the sd1one video , it looks the FEMM has the same problem as the 4220 - the articulation only goes left/right, but doesn't allow for going up/down to keep tires on ground like the forester and cat 745c. So it's way tippier than it should be.

Which is fine. In the mud test with a heavy trailer it's way faster than the 605r, even without diff lock on. Crazy. Looks like it can self rescue too, so sd1one's verdict was it's a bigger, better antarctic 4220.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 31, 2024

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I haven't had any problems with removing trucks from my garage, but I can't find any unlock for the ferry in phase 12. Has anyone here successfully opened it?

E: vvv Thank you. Turns out I'm just blind and cannot read locked contracts properly.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 2, 2024

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

pun pundit posted:

I haven't had any problems with removing trucks from my garage, but I can't find any unlock for the ferry in phase 12. Has anyone here successfully opened it?

I literally just started minutes ago and haven't done anything yet, but I see there are some ferry contracts under Pipeline Bay Admin... looks like they unlock a ferry crossing? They start locked though, so you'll need to do some other stuff first

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Just picked this up from sale recently, seems extremely my jam for a tedium simulator, but got a few questions.

Is money finite? I ask because the harder settings jive with my brain allot more, but if there are no repeatable sources of cash that'd be a problem, since the stress of potentially softlocking would ruin the vibe.

Any cool mods? The in-game browser is butts, and I'm mostly looking for like, tweaks/etc rather than new vehicles.

Can I get a rundown of the season DLCs? Which ones are good, which ones are bad. All I've got so far is avoid season 7.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hard mode (at least last time I checked) has a finite money cap because it limits certain repeatable missions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can make a fair bit of cash by selling all the random trailers everywhere afaik

I don't think money is a big problem even on hard unless you want ALL the trucks cause you can sell a bunch of the ones you salvage

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Oh can you not repeat competitions in hard mode? Some of those are the only things you can do if you're completely broke.

In normal mode you can sell trucks you don't want to use and trailers you find or are finished with for the same amount as you paid for em. Hard mode only gives you 50% back I think, so you have to be more diligent about reusing trailers.

Personally the game can be frustrating enough and everything takes long enough that having to manage trailers better and be more careful about flipping vehicles would probably put me off the game entirely. A lot of the fun for me is getting to use a lot of different vehicles and that becomes a lot more difficult in hard mode since money is much more limited.

As far as DLC goes, I'll say that overall most of them are worth it entirely for the new vehicles they add. Some of them are harder than others or introduce new mechanics but the gameplay is still driving stuff from one place to another. There's plenty to do in the base game. It took me around 200 hours to do everything required for the platinum trophy (which includes completing all of the missions in the base game). Each DLC adds at least two big maps with their own storylines, contracts, and whatnot (excepting Tennessee, which is only one map).

The new mechanics are things like crafting. Like say you need to deliver wooden planks to a place. Well, nowhere on the map can you just pick up wooden planks. So you gotta drive a generator to the sawmill to power it and then you gotta bring over some logs. So you craft the planks from the logs and then you can be off on your way.

Season 7 introduces multiplayer races which I don't know much about. The map also has your standard hauling missions though so I wouldn't avoid it entirely, though it doesn't offer as much as the others.

Season 8 introduces farming which is just drive over the same bit of land with three different trailers in order to make potatoes.

Ultimately it depends on what you want out of the game. Some folks like to complete all the missions in one zone before they go onto another. Sometimes it's fun to go to a different one cause you're bored of driving in Alaska for instance. All of the DLC are good value as far as gameplay time per dollar spent.

Seasons 1 and 4 are considered the most difficult, especially compared to the difficulty of the base game. The rest are more in line with what the base game offers, with Season 8 being regarded as a bit easier.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I haven't played hard mode so I don't know how money constrained it really is, but the main reason it doesn't really appeal to me is because I think it probably constrains your ability to sandbox, like just trying stuff out and doing whatever you like. Everything costs money, even moving your trucks around to different maps. Seems like it would make the game a chore, because if you just get tired of a region and wanna come back later, there's a big cost for setting up somewhere else. Plus buying trucks & trailers is more of a permanent investment, which could be a problem when you're new to the game and don't know what's good/bad, and can fall into traps. I thought about playing hard mode when I first started the game but I'm glad I didn't, the game provides plenty of challenge without restricting which parts of it you can play with and having the threat of unrecoverable failure looming over you. That's just my opinion anyway, I think the game is better as a chill, low-stakes sandbox for toy trucks

apophenium posted:

Personally the game can be frustrating enough and everything takes long enough that having to manage trailers better and be more careful about flipping vehicles would probably put me off the game entirely. A lot of the fun for me is getting to use a lot of different vehicles and that becomes a lot more difficult in hard mode since money is much more limited.

Yeah this is what I'm saying, I like that I can just do whatever jobs whenever I feel like it, and use some of the worse trucks and other tools sometimes, just to mix things up. I imagine if you're on hard mode, the pressure to do things optimally would take a lot of the fun out of it. In normal mode, the worst thing that'll happen is you'll waste time

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 6, 2024

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Slavvy posted:

You can make a fair bit of cash by selling all the random trailers everywhere afaik

I don't think money is a big problem even on hard unless you want ALL the trucks cause you can sell a bunch of the ones you salvage

I don't think you can sell trailers in hard mode

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fuel costs money in hard mode, and fuel trailers come empty from the trailer store. I've watched a few videos of folks playing it, and they really have to plan everything out to get efficient hauling, and taking full advantage of all the fuel available for free in the various abandoned trailers.
Dispatching from the garage costs money too.
It's a mode for when you're supremely confident in how each truck handles, and already know the maps inside and out.

If I want a little extra challenge, I just set rules for myself like no recovering to the garage, only rescues.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, I set up a New Game+ with rules that feel good to me.

Just gotta pay for gas and repairs and can't skip nights, everything else as normal. Feels alright.
Self-imposed rules that any vehicles found in the wild need to get to a garage without recovering the first time, and if something gets stuck I gotta get it out, but I've got low-momentary willpower so I wish there was more granular settings for that I could mess with to keep me from """cheating"""; the recovery fee when enabled is too static (and thus feels badly valued to me, but I've yet to get a sense for the economy anyways).
Also sucks that you can't seem to change settings of a save in progress. Got like 12 hours worth of 'false-start' playtime trying to find a good feel as the brainworms demand. :suicide:

But hell yeah, enjoying this poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I like the challenge of Hard Mode, softlocking/permadeathing yourself because you were driving a bit carelessly and rammed a guard rail through your truck's grille destroying the engine and radiator halfway across the map from your garage with not enough money for recovery or repair sucks, but hey, drive more careful next time I guess.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Oviro Hills is a real motherfucker of a map.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

orange juche posted:

I like the challenge of Hard Mode, softlocking/permadeathing yourself because you were driving a bit carelessly and rammed a guard rail through your truck's grille destroying the engine and radiator halfway across the map from your garage with not enough money for recovery or repair sucks, but hey, drive more careful next time I guess.

Hard sounds like a fun second playthrough.

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
Man, I'm very late to the party on this game. I tried it on a whim thanks to Game Pass and I'm floored that I ended up enjoying it so much.

I windmill slammed the buy button on the 3 Year Anniversary edition on Steam. I think this is some sort of genre I've never realized that I'd gravitate to. I also recently picked up Railroader in early access and it shares some similarities where you're building up a rail company and every job is sort of a puzzle.

I'd really like if the upcoming Flight Simulator 2024 would gamify itself similar to this. I think when its just driving to drive... it doesn't quite hold my attention. Euro/American Truck Simulators are decent... but not quite there.

Are there any other adjacent games to this that scratch a similar itch? Maybe I need to go back and try out stuff like Farming or Construction Simulator. Not even sure if I could go backwards to Mudrunner. Once you get a taste for the newer game, is it hard to go backwards in time to an older game? Will I immediately miss things they've added with Snowrunner?

Also another question that I'm sure has been asked before... but what are some recommended mods for a first timer? I'm not looking to completely change things or do a total conversion... but more quality of life type stuff or additional vehicles that will not just make the game stupidly easy. I like the challenge because its completely fair. If my situation gets hosed, its because I hosed it up.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Welcome to the truckin' life :clint:

I don't think you really need to look at mods from the start, if you got the season passes that's hundreds of hours of content to get through and plenty of vehicles.

https://www.maprunner.info/ is a useful tool, because the map does not show what input is required by the factories for example, and it's useful to locate free trucks and upgrades. But if you don't want to spoil exploration for yourself, I'd leave it until you have the map revealed.

If you're looking for something with the same amount of "game" in it, there's really nothing else apart from Death Stranding (lol). Mudrunner is ok, I think the terrain deformation and mud physics were slightly more detailed there, but all other aspects will feel limited. But I wouldn't discount it completely, still might be worth going back to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's some stuff I found helpful.
Tips
https://youtu.be/o0bjBPjSs-M?si=B79-Cp5sc0ajEVzA
https://youtu.be/2C9MnaG4D_g?si=esRzVBqAPRWZ3Yij

Make money and experience at high rates, for to unlock good tires and buy trucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNRTGRDSRU8
Here's probably a world record run on that route.
https://youtu.be/62gyeh1HBgo?si=yrzZ1Kcrh98mudNv

Navigation and route planning map analysis playlist
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs-2o6Oj62sStZbX8gJVpmYsCVmWqzkhw&si=e10pR_oskie9EsjN

After you've done the tutorial, you might want to switch maps to Russia, and get yourself one of the best all round trucks in the game for free.
https://youtu.be/vT-xdSP0Rj4?si=2LuruVJ9JDKkk1pY

One other suggestion is that you download the anniversary dlc, which is free, and gives you a couple decent (and high value, if you want to sell them) trucks for free.

The 3 year pass has some capable, and a doofy little truck. The bandit and the other heavy are really useful trucks. The little tatra is fun garbage, in my opinion.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 13, 2024