Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I love Love and Rockets.
At first I liked the stories from both brothers (never liked Mario's short comics, much) but after Gilbert started adding even more people from Luba's familiy, more gigantic tits and even more incest I bounced from his side of the comic pretty hard. It's a shame, I really dug the Palomar issues.

Now, Jaime is (in my opinion) and always will be rock solid, both in the art and story departments. Maggie's history with her two loves is so, so good that it's a shame that it's not more known outside of comic circles. Yes, even though his books are always in the Top 10 lists from pretty much everywhere that does top 10 comic books, L&R always seemed to be on the cusp of getting mainstream attention, but never quite getting there. It's a shame, but as long as the Bros. keep making their comics (and they are happy with the results), I'm happy.

It's also kinda surreal to see just how much Hopey was/is based on Jaime's ex-partner/mother of their kid.

Anyone got some reccomendations on books about Love and Rockets? I have The Covers and The Love and Rockets Companion, but there seems to be plenty more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm good with thinking the Gilbert stories ended with the 11th volume, Ofelia. I also think that his cartooning isn't as good in the latter stories, which is a shame, 'cause he's one of the greats.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Oh yeah, you have a good point. Love and Rockets, while being their main thing, is not the only thing Los Bros have done. There's some other comics, guest strips, pin-ups and short stories that have never been collected and that must be a bitch to track down, since they were originally in indie or small press comics from the 80's and 90's.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh yeah, there was a Beto/Darwyn Cooke miniseries that I very very vaguely remember.

Oh wow! Didn't know about that. Gonna track it down.

Edge & Christian posted:

The Twilight Children (2015): Vertigo mini-series written by Gilbert, drawn by Darwyn Cooke. In print as a trade/up on Comixology
Nice!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

I reread "Is This How You See Me?" today and I think it's like apex Jaime, and it hits so differently for me at the age I am now than it did when it was coming out. I also think it's Jaime at his warmest and at his most pitched fondness for the characters, god, it's perfect.

I think The Love Bunglers and Is This How You See Me perfectly complement each other while being masterpieces in their own right. I need to buy and read Tonta (Jaime has said that she is his new favorite character, which makes me wonder if ITHYSM was sort of him saying goodbye, for a while at least, to the old generation from Hoppers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Doralis' costumes for her "kids' show,"

While Beto is very horny on main, I can tell you with absolute certainty, that this is faithful to latin american kids variety shows from the 80's-90's.