Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Oh good, I’m not alone.

I say do whatever is easiest, that is so stupid that such simple stuff is so poorly done.

Like, if I remember right, Some of these are problems from like, 2k16 they never bothered to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Continue as is.
As you said, this is a thing that actually happens in real life, players betting on themselves. So long as you don't intentionally abuse this, it seems like a fair way to handle it.

Hell, depending on how things play out, we very well might see this scenario in real life this offseason due to corona. If there's a huge salary cap decrease, some rookies might turn down long-term offers and instead just take the qualifying offer so that they can get actual market value next offseason after the cap rebounds rather than signing for a sub-market deal based on the corona-depressed cap numbers.

Also, you should be tracking the "what the gently caress NBA2K, I thought you called yourself a realistic simulator" moments. We're already at...what...4? Nobody signs second round picks, draft pick protections only last a year, all trade exceptions expiring before free agency, and RFA weird as poo poo. Any more that I'm missing?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've opted to leave it as is.

The vote was 3-2, but if I'm being honest, I'd have also voted for just letting it slide--this time. I sort of talked myself into it. I'll take a financial hit next season, but unlike in real life, I'll still have Bol's Bird rights. So assuming that I just wait until after the moratorium to give him my offer, even though I'd be paying him more than I would be now, I at least won't have a chance of him going to another team.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 3, 2021-2022 Offseason, Part 2

Before we begin, I didn't realize I had taken this shot.

Look at that, Bol actually accepted the contract offer I gave him. But then the game glitched out to this:

Also shown: Per instruction, I landed Monte Morris successfully. I signed Garry Payton II. I didn't get a lot of free agency directive beyond Morris, but I was told to add who I wanted without breaking the bank. GP2 gives us a potential rotational player (he's actually got the highest perimeter defense rating on our whole team now) for a couple of years for very, very cheap. The deal says two years, but I gave him a player option (which I assume he'll opt out of. Oh, well.)

The Jazz had to pick between Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert and went with the guard. Gobert went to the Clippers, giving the team an even more terrifying defensive presence than it had before.
Jayson Tatum gets a supermax deal. The very good John Collins goes to the Cavaliers, Lauri Markannen and Deandre Ayton combine to make the Suns a fairly scary front court, and with Devin Booker there too, they might actually do something. We might actually get their pick this year despite the protection on it.

:unsmith: Derrick Rose rehabilitated himself up to a point where he could make 16 million a year and immediately went home. God drat that's a feel good story.
Paul George went to the Spurs for some reason, we can see where lots of the other guys I had scouted in Free Agency wound up.

The Ravens have carved out an identity of a team that showcases players for a year while they try to score bigger contracts somewhere else. Boogie goes to the Spurs to play with Paul George.

Player progression this year doesn't go anywhere near as well as it did last year, with only Windler, Kraemer, and the newly signed GP2 gaining more than a single point overall. Not even Bol got more than a point, despite now being an A overall potential, only 21 years old, and playing three times as many minutes a game as he did his rookie season. I'm not worried about Vanvleet yet; his overall went down but he's still gaining in some places. We're not alone in underwhelming advancements; I notice that around the league almost no one gained more than 0-3 points. I wonder what causes that. I had the same sliders. Then again, maybe it's all down to the RNG. Maybe there are several systems at work here, but I assume none of them actually work.

We now have three players with a natural A+ in three point shooting. Our team's best defender has an F/D+ rating in the two defensive stats. I don't understand how this game works. I assume the real Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk is pretty bad on defense, or maybe in general. I've somehow never seen him play even though he plays for my "home" team in real life.

Steppenwolf has degraded to a B+ potential player. He was an A+ last year, not just in the draft. I have no explanation for this. Indiana's A+ potential player also declined, but only to an A. A+ to B+ is pretty huge, but the highest gain in the whole league by someone who wasn't in the G-league was +6, and that was a guy with a B+ potential. Incidentally, other than Bol Bol's A and Windler's A-, all of our young players are a B+ potential, so I'm pretty pleased with that, but also wouldn't complain if it were higher on one or two guys.

Our rivals have the single biggest gain of any player, though. I think he was in the G-league. I have high hopes for Valentine down there this year---it'd have been nice if Kraemer didn't complain to the point where I had to recall him---if he had an 11 point gain in the offseason, he'd be the best player on our team.

Summer league rolls around, and from players actually on our roster, Windler, Kabengele, Kelley, Kraemer, Sharp, and Valentine all suit up. Mykhailiuk does not, despite being the same age as Windler, and Bol doesn't suit up, despite being younger than all six of them. Presumably because he was an all star.

We do well enough in the prelims to get the first seed, but immediately blow it. The Ravens go to the finals and lose to the Bulls, who have quietly gathered a decent amount of promising young talent.
Our best performers were Windler, Kabengele, and Sharp. Sharp, despite coming off the bench, had higher counting stats than Kelley across the board, and averaged a double double. Not even Kabengele managed that. However, he played considerably worse on defense than Kelley did. Their attributes seem to bear this out. It might be worth further focusing them both so that we can give opposing teams a couple of different looks, as needed.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

Once again, it's time for training camps. As always, I have two.

Please vote for two players to go to camp. And for the camp they go to.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

Maybe there are several systems at work here, but I assume none of them actually work.

The NBA 2K story.

Also, too bad for the Clippers losing Paul George, that might've been one of the best defensive teams ever if he stayed there and Gobert joined. Still gonna be very very good on defense though.

I'm tempted to send Bol Bol to whatever camp increases durability (Conditioning, Weight?), but I'd only want to send him there if something else could also potentially improve along with durability because I have no confidence that improving his durability will actually reduce injury risk because 2K. Also would like to send him to Big Man Defense given the nature of the Ravens and some other teams.

Ultimately, I say your choice of Bol Bol to Big Man Defense or durability training

Untapped Potential for whoever you think should get it

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, I didn't ask, but sometimes the proposals in the off-season are absolutely insane. One of the rejected ones this year was "eliminate goaltending". Which would never happen. I have also seen "Change the shot clock to [x] seconds," with the highest I have seen being a bonkers 45. I think it can also be removed entirely. That would actually kill the league in real life.

I can override insane proposals that pass. Should I? I could also decide to accept bad proposals incrementally; I could see raising the shot clock by 5 seconds (in sim), but 20 is just a shocking number.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Let the league have what the league wants. Adapt, survive.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Bol Bol and Mykhailiuk for whatever you think is good.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Namtab posted:

Let the league have what the league wants. Adapt, survive.

:yeah: let the game do at least one ridiculously stupid broken thing

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wow those rules!

For anyone not familiar, Goaltending has a lot of nuance, but here are two parts of the rule:

You're not allowed to:

"Touch any ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to score. This is considered to be a “field goal attempt” or trying for a goal."

So you can essentially have someone tall/someone who can jump sit under your hoop and literally swat away ANY ball that comes near them. Bonkers.

Another aspect of the rule is that you can't:

"Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring."

So repealing this rule, by the letter, means you don't even need to block the ball itself. Just stick your hand through the hoop and leave it there.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

oldskool posted:

:yeah: let the game do at least one ridiculously stupid broken thing
:agreed:

I don't think you should manually override the rules just to make it go nuts, but you're one owner out of 32, so if there's a strong majority for some bullshit rule, I think you don't use Magic Player Powers to override it.

Also, I'm fine with modifying the goaltending rules. Maybe not all the way to "eliminate goaltending" because then you'd just have a 7'3" guy standing next to the basket at all time to jump and block shots at the rim, but the FIBA rules of "once it hits the rim, it's fair game even if it looks like it could still bounce in" produces more exciting moments than the NBA/NCAA's invisible cylinder that tends to cut down on putbacks and athletic high-jumping rebounds.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Guper posted:

Wow those rules!

For anyone not familiar, Goaltending has a lot of nuance, but here are two parts of the rule:

You're not allowed to:

"Touch any ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to score. This is considered to be a “field goal attempt” or trying for a goal."

So you can essentially have someone tall/someone who can jump sit under your hoop and literally swat away ANY ball that comes near them. Bonkers.

Another aspect of the rule is that you can't:

"Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring."

So repealing this rule, by the letter, means you don't even need to block the ball itself. Just stick your hand through the hoop and leave it there.

That'd still be a defensive three second violation. But every two and a half seconds you could leave and come back, or have another tall guy do it.

Since a few people mentioned offensive goaltending or offensive interference, there is ba separate potential rule change that can repeal just that.

Repealing Goaltending would probably benefit us specifically, since Bol was top 10 in blocks last season and we have no legitimate defense. (I still don't comprehend what sorcery was fueling Mykhailiuk's oFG% last year... It's not just missed rotations penalizing teammates instead of him; putting him on Doncic actually shut down Doncic)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
...So potential isn't just how fast a player grows, it's actually the player's maximum overall rating (and semi-hidden, at that). It's a semi-static number, I dunno how it can change without editing it, but it can clearly at least decline.

It also makes the game static and boring, and makes the draft classes a bit unrealistic. I'm thinking of occasionally (that is, once an off-season, before actually going to the progression phase) editing young players' potential at random somehow. Which would involve a lot of work, but I figure I could come up with an easy way to streamline it. Ideally, I would like to have a system that makes second round or late first round picks sometimes become really good NBA players, like they actually do. One of the better experiences I had in an NBA2k game was, weirdly, a glitch which caused Tyreke Evans to randomly decline and lose a ton of rating after his rookie season. Even more weirdly, this actually happened in real life, too. O_o

No method of randomization in place yet, but equipped with this distressing dire knowledge, I now realize there is zero reason for a young team to invest in anything other than potential for either its youngest players, or for its highest potential players not yet in their peak. So, I was already instructed to use Bol Bol in a camp, and I send him to potential, Raising it to an A+ rating, and I send Dylan Windler, who remains an A-, but I know it's 3 higher than what it was before, raising his ceiling by 3 points. 2k's hideous, unrealistic, absolutely dire potential system is a curse, and somehow manages to be worse than the remarkably unrealistic FIFA games were you can just keep playing minigames until you're God. Unless you get lucky with players arbitrarily getting huge bonuses from the G-league or playing overseas, you'll never see breakout seasons. The AI will never generate a Manu Ginobili, or a Draymond Green, or even a Michael Redd. The AI will never in a million years generate a Nikola Jocic, who is a potential league MVP. (Not... not this season. I mean ever. And he's definitely done it in 2k sims)

So I haven't come up with a system yet, but I've got 80 loving years to experiment, and I'll do it, even if I have to use heavyhanded brute force.

Chapter 4, 2021-2022 Season, 2021

This is one better than our best projection last year. However, the other two power rankings at the start of the year have us at 21, which seems like a fairly big range. Everyone is confident that the Celtics (why?), Nets, and Bucks are the best teams.

As I said, I sent both Bol and Windler to camp. Coach for some reason wanted to start Kabengele over Bol, and actually did for a few games. We start the season 1-10. I get this message:

Presumably, he smacked his forehead really hard in exasperation at some of the coach's rotational decisions. And while I can play Boggy through it, I decide to just bench him because he wasn't being productive yet, and maybe it'll shock the other players into shape. Amazingly, we do win our next game. After we pick up this second win, the coach's brain reboots and he starts starting Bol again, and we rattle off a ton of wins toward the end of the calendar year. By the time we get to January 1st, we're nearly at .500 ball, and have actually gained in the power ratings from the two that underestimated us, all three now have us at between 12-16. The end of the year was really good to us, and we had 3 weeks in a row without a loss. During this stretch, our young superstar puts up a career best 46 points against the Rockets.

.....and then immediately tops himself two nights later against the hated Ravens and also sets a franchise record of 17 free throws.

I check Bol's social media a few times during this stretch and it's mostly people praising his career highs, but I also spy this.

Sweet. I've been waiting for a "Player of the Week" award. Harry Kelly had a rookie of the month award last season, but I don't think I ever won a player of the week yet. I go into the Season Awards, and..... Luka Doncic got the Western Conference nod in the week Bol put up both his career highs. How is that even possible?

Oh. Because Doncic dropped seventy loving points against the Knicks. Fine.

Well, hey, we're practically undefeated throughout December, and Bol has been sublime. Surely, while we won't win the weekly award, we stand a chance at the monthly honor. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...... it goes to Doncic again. Come on, kid, like one good ga---

....-oh. He also dropped seventy loving points again on the Magic. Two 70 point games in the same month.

......remember when our F/D+ defender held him to 27 points per game in the playoffs? Yeah, he mad, now. He mad.

(Speaking of, Mykhailiuk's defensive numbers are no longer "hold opponents to under 40% shooting in the season, or 41% shooting in the playoffs if they're Luka Doncic, a player who just tied the tenth highest scoring game in NBA history twice in the same month"---he's holding guys to about 43% shooting. Which is... still somehow the best on our team. Our team is not good at defense. Worse, while we're really good at steals and blocks, we don't get a lot of transition points somehow. Our shooting is terrible, but our 3pt shooting is among the league's best. Our bench is still top 5. Our Offensive rebounding is top three, our defensive rebounding is league worst, and we average to middle-of-the-pack in total rebounding. We're still league worst in points in the paint. We are, somehow, the league leaders in assists as a team, maybe because three of our five highest rated guys are point guards.)

Rather than bore you with more stats, we have important decisions to make:

Contract Extensions. Mykhailiuk has decided to see what he's worth in free agency, but could be cheap to re-sign if we did make a play at him----there's no hard feelings there, dude just wants to get paid.

Aminu will sign for pennies on the dollar. It's almost worth it to consider him for that price, but he'll drop even more rating next season. I intend to trade him (and maybe Kraemer) by the deadline.
The two decisions to make are Aaron Holiday and Delon Wright.

Aaron Holiday is, as a sixth man, our team's second leading scorer. He has more or less completely supplanted Delon's role from last season. He is a top five player on our team both by actual overall rating, and by performance. (By performance so far, he's arguably our second most important player)

Delon Wright has fallen off a bit from last season, but not in talent. Something just isn't clicking the same way. He's still a good rotational piece that we know can elevate his game. Any day now, his rating will start to go down, but I suspect not by very much---he didn't seem to be relying too hard on athleticism.

Both players are asking for fair offers eyeballing the rest of the league's pay at their asking price. Aaron's is a wee bit higher than average, but definitely not unreasonably above his value, especially since he does good work for the team.

I'm inclined to extend them both, and for fairly long term deals (three or four years) at that. I will, however, defer to the thread's wisdom:

:siren: Do I extend either or both players, and if so, for how long? :siren:

(NOTE: Windler hasn't made a decision on extending his contract, yet. That is not up for a vote--if I see the words "will re-sign", then I am extending Windler for 4 years. His overall shooting is down this year, but that is because he's starting, playing against starters, and taking way more shots. He is a very efficient player and it is neck and neck who the second best player on my team between him and Holiday. If Holiday were only asking for 6.4 million a year instead of 8.7, I wouldn't bother to ask about him, either. That's peanuts. Also, our SF depth chart goes Windler -> Mykhailiuk (who might walk) -> Someone playing out of position, likely Boggy, sometimes Kelley or Sharp. I see him as a core piece of our team moving forward.)

We can comfortably extend all three and pay Bol 20 million a year instead of the 18 he currently wants or the 15 we should be paying him (:argh:).

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Extend Holiday for 4 years

Extend Wright for 2 years since he'll probably (maybe?) start declining by then

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Guper posted:

Seconding this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Guper posted:

Thirding this, but with the caveat that you shouldn't hesitate to trade Wright away if a good deal comes along.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm not above trading anyone other than Bol for the right price, don't worry.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Guper posted:

Yeah, this works for me. Also lol at “70 point Doncic“, wonder if that’ll become the normal thing for the season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 4, 2021-2022 Season, All-Star Break

There's no real exciting games to show off, I simmed through the all-star break and the trade deadline as well. Honolulu has come a bit back down to Earth after a feel-good playoff run in their first year of existence. We lose quite a few games, but not for lack of effort---we just have serious deficiencies and are still really young.

First things first:

I extend both Wright and Holiday to multi-year contracts, 2 for the older Wright, and 4 for Holiday. They've earned the team's trust. Wright has regained a bit of his form from last season, and while he's not as impactful of a bench leader, he's still one of our best players. It took Holiday a while to find his groove with this team, but nowadays, he's an indispensable rotation player, often taking the starting job from Vanvleet. Sometimes Monte Morris was also starting. I say was:

The Hornets offer me a trade: Miles Bridges and Ralph Miller for Monte Morris and the 2024 Suns first round pick. I make them a counter offer which they accept:

I was prepared to keep Morris for three years and use him as a key rotational piece, but I didn't feel that I could pass this offer up. I'll refer back to myself, here:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Meanwhile the Hornets take this guy.

Looking at him after the draft, Ralph Miller here is only a 68 overall (actually worse than the next guy the Hornets drafted this same year by 6 points!) but he's another A+ potential player. He's also, once again, the team's only center on contract. I expect them to sign someone over the offseason and for this guy to be benched the whole year, but for those keeping score, this is the second A+ potential player the Hornets have drafted in back to back years, and they currently have a lot of promising young players. I checked out their scout after their deliberate trade to get an A+ player last year, and discovered they only had a D rating.
......I dunno, he seems pretty good at his job to me.

Check it out, he's already up to 71, and it's only been half a season. Him and Miles were insisting the Hornets trade them. I dunno what Miles was upset about, but ol' Ralph here was upset he was assigned to the G-league. Ironically, what Kraemer was upset about the whole time he was on our team. I had no way of keeping Kraemer anyhow, so we exchange angry young centers and probably come out ahead. I immediately move Miller here to PF instead of center and he gains another 3 overall. He's now already at 74, easily something that'll see fringe minutes, and he could one day grow into the second best player on our team, theoretically. The AI wants to make him a rebounding focused PF, but we already have three of those guys, so I order our trainer to begin molding him into an Athletic PF to give us a bit more variety. He's only 1% less compatible with that type, and both types are better than anything he was supposed to be doing at C.

This is the other guy we got in the trade. Behold Miles Bridges, a local basketball hero for me. He's 6 points overall ahead of our starting SF, Dylan Windler, but worse than him in literally every statistical category except for PPG and oFG%. Windler is admittedly a bad defender. The PPG though is very inefficient. Windler 1)Shoots a better percentage and takes less shots to get similar points 2)Gets more assists and 3)ends fewer of his possessions in turnovers. And he rebounds! Anyhow, Bridges has less potential than Windler (now that we've given Dylan that camp) is already measurably worse, and where Windler is mulling over a possible extension of between 6-7 Million a year, Bridges wants over 15.

What I am trying to say is, "Miles Bridges will not be with the team in the 2022-2023 season"

The deadline passes and I ultimately decide that Al-Farouq Aminu is more valuable as 10 million dollars in cap space than he is as any trade value. Ours is literally the only interesting trade that happens.

I also scout this raw, undrafted prospect from Monmouth who didn't get drafted this year, but has a lot of upside. I'm not expecting a huge payoff here, but I sign him to a two-way contract, which lets me put him on my g-league roster, and if he develops, then I can promote him to the "real" league. Can't hurt to give the kid a look. I'm allowed to have two two-way contracts.

The All-Star break rolls around. Our new guy, Bridges, gets nominated for the Dunk contest but doesn't win. I have no players in the Youth game.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I missed the team. Check out "Mr 70" over here being voted as All-Star captain in just his second all-star appearance. He led all players in voting. Ja, Tatum, Collins, and DeAndre Ayton are named first time All-Stars.

I check the injury table to see if anyone has lost a vital member of their team for a significant amount of time, and the answer is no, but I do notice that Bradley Beal, Ja Morant, and Joel Embiid have trivial injuries that just might mean....

Bol doesn't have himself the best game, playing four minutes and getting a single rebound and steal, but that's two time All-Star Bol Bol, to you haters.
Kevin Durant is the All-Star Game MVP.

He was clearly going to be snubbed, anyhow. He leads all Centers in scoring by six points. 27/10 averages? Bit under two blocks a game? C'mon, All-Star committee.

Well.... if I'm being fair, All-Stars tend to come from good teams.

And we're in the bottom four of the West. The sophomore slump is real.

lolknicks.

It's probably just growing pains, though. That Wayne Newton/Bryant Lowe combination is scary. Paul George and Boogie are doing good things up in San Antonio. The Luka Doncic show continues. The Jazz chose really poorly over which of their stars to keep, and it looks like we're getting Phoenix's pick this year after all.

Seeing that we're floundering, I tell Coach Walker it's time to experiment.

I'd like to give a mid-season analysis on our five best players:
1)Bol Bol: He's upped his scoring even more, while upping his percentages along with it. The best part is, Bol is only 22. We could have ourselves a franchise piece for years and years if we keep him happy.

2)Dylan Windler: Our second leading scorer (technically, Bridges has more ppg on the season, but that's entirely because he played most of his season with a different team) It sucks that he's not in our projected starting line-up, but he tends to play his way back up there. Besides, we just got Bridges, so I think Coach is distracted by his shiny (lying) higher rating. But Windler is a very efficient scorer, passes the ball when he's in trouble, doesn't gently caress up his pass, and rebounds above average for his position. That's right, folks, our team actually has a good rebounder. It's just... he's a small forward who spots minutes at shooting guard.

3)Aaron Holiday: Our team's other reliable scoring option. Holiday swaps roster spots with Vanvleet, seemingly at random (offense/defense?), but puts up a bunch of points, and turns the ball over very infrequently.

4)Delon Wright: Did everything he did last year, just not quite to the same degree. He's also been spending more time as a starter because

5)Bogdan Bogdanovich: This Glass Joe motherfucker seems to get injured every four games. On the other hand, he's shooting 48% (!) from deep on the season (probably because he's playing so few games)

John Hollinger would replace Boggy with Jimmie Sharp, who has not gotten a lot of minutes yet, but of our four Power Forwards (and Kabengele!), he's got the best actual rebound rate. He's more promising on that front than Harry Kelly, but his defense isn't as good, and Harry will sometimes pass the loving ball. (I'm waiting to see who among Kelley, Windler, and Wright will record this team's first-ever triple double)
Mykhailiuk came down to real world Mykhailiuk defense, which is to say, "it's not great." He's still a positive contributor. Gary Payton II is the best defender on my team, and does frequently get good minutes. I'm super happy I signed him at that bargain price in the off season. A lot of our better pieces on this team are really cheap. Guys like VanVleet and Bogdanovich are getting the bulk of the money and are underperforming, and Al-Farouq Aminu is a ten million dollar doorstop.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 28, 2020

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I am here rooting for Windler. You go, rebound boy.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 4, 2021-2022 Season, 2022 Offseason Part 1

The new system I experimented with gets us a similar number of wins to the old system. I debate pushing through it, and then I get an alert that Bol Bol is injured:

It's just a bruised heel, and definitely something that can be played through. What I focus on is the line that says "Can be aggravated". We're under .500 at this point. If I thought our odds were better than half of making the playoffs, I'd have made Bol play through this and give it a shot. If we had clinched the playoffs, I'd have rested him. As it stands, we're in the position of being unlikely to make the playoffs, which, once there, we'd be unlikely to win anything. That's two gambles with our best player's future. It's a bruised heel now, but it could turn into something way worse, and his feet are important to our team's future. I forfeit the season and bench Bol. Needless to say, we don't make the playoffs in our second season, but I stand by my choice.

I use this time to give random minutes to Sharp, Miller, and Valentine, whom I call up from the G-league. Valentine has progressed to like, 73 or 74 overall, which is a pretty hefty jump. Our SG prospect down there has done nothing, sadly.

The stage is set for the 2021-2022 NBA Playoffs.

Utah made a hell of a late push, and LAC fell a bit, maybe I was wrong about Utah's priorities. San Antonio returns after a single year's absence, Cleveland continues to surprise me, and Boston isn't as good as they seem to think they are. Very noticeably absent are the Lakers.

Luka Doncic averaged a thirty five and a half point triple-double while leading the league in both points and assists. No poo poo he's the league MVP. That's arguably the single best season a player has ever had.

New York's #1 picks get back to back ROTY honors (and they finish with the league's worst record anyhow---growing pains)

Not good enough for the playoffs though, eh, Anthony?

Someone other than Dennis Schroeder finally wins this award, but mostly because he's both injured and was actually starting on the Pistons.

A generated player wins MIP---but undeservingly so. Look at that putrid shooting; that's not a player that improved, that's a player that got more minutes. I gave serious consideration to cancelling out this award but :effort: (Plus, I didn't look at the candidates beforehand to know if any of them were any better. It's not like the real league hasn't given any awards.
The Nets' new coach wins Coach of the Year---infuriatingly, this is the one award I can't assign to someone else, and it's the only one I'm usually interested in actually doing so with. God drat it, 2K.

And then the teams are announced

All NBA 1:

All NBA 2:

:bubblewoop: Bol Bol is all NBA. (And, since he's a center, this also means that he's regarded as the second-best center in the entire league. :hellyeah:
All NBA 3:

Notice anyone missing? LeBron James didn't make All-NBA. He wasn't ever injured, either--he was just regarded as, at best, the seventh best forward.
Also, big ups to the exciting young point guards Ja Morant and Trae Young, who are both an absolute treat to watch.

Defense 1:

And 2:

All Rookie 1st Team:

The all-rookie second team capture somehow got deleted, and the game won't actually let me review the entirety of the teams, just the first person on each list. :psyduck: The important takeaway is: none of our guys made it.

Knowing how important injuries were to last season's playoffs, I take a gander over at the Injured list to see if any of the playoff teams might suffer:

My takeaway here is that San Antonio and Washington are completely hosed. Cleveland is in trouble, Phoenix is in more trouble but can possibly on their bigs to give Booker time to come back. The Trailblazers lose their starting center and ROTY candidate, but they also have 3 80+ centers, and are probably fine. They're a really deep team.

Gobert comes back partway through the first round and it's enough to take a game (but only one game) off the Mavs. Meanwhile the Spurs and Wizards get swept. Cleveland managed to advance to the second round, and the Suns put on a 7 game dog-fight before cashing out.

I'm shocked to see the Jazz defeat the Mavs.

That explains it. Both teams' star players got injured, but Dallas definitely relies on theirs more. Injuries in the playoffs are a huge deal. That's got to be heartbreaking to Mavs fans. The Nets and Bucks have a seven game exchange with last year's champions coming out on top. Meanwhile, It doesn't matter when Mitchell came back, because they get swept by the rampaging Blazers, who by now have their team at full strength.

Then, after almost blowing a 3-0 lead

The Portland Trailblazers are the 2022 NBA Champions, ending a 45 year drought. (Last year's Nets win was their franchise's first ever---I should have given them more fanfare)
As for the finals MVP:

Reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

What an amazing feel good story. After his life-threatening injury last season, there were questions on if the phenomenal Lillard would ever be back to his old self. He went out and had what would have been an MVP season if Luka Doncic wasn't a walking cheat-code, leads his team straight to the finals, and in an absolutely dominant scoring performance, takes the title. And I do mean dominant. 43 Points per game on 61% shooting, 46% shooting from deep, and still somehow finding the time to rack up over 7 assists per game? That is transcendence. That is basketball immortality.

The key for the Blazers, I think, was their depth. Their third string center was this guy who already has a little championship experience.

It's the hardest position in the league to competently fill, and the Blazers have it on lock.

I sim the early tasks of the season. Marc Gasol retires and neither makes the Hall of Fame nor gets his number retired by the Grizzlies. We are in a weird mirror universe, I guess---
Say what you want about Gasol's NBA career so far as the Hall is concerned, but he's also a two time FIBA champion, a two time Olympic Silver Medalist, a Spanish league champion, a Spanish league MVP, and a Euroscar player of the Year (His brother has four of these, and Dirk has six). Marc Gasol would be a lock for the the Hall of Fame if he never set foot in the NBA. But, since he did, he's also an NBA Champion, a three time NBA All star, and a Defensive Player of the Year (weirdly, he only made the all-defense second team that year---how the gently caress does that work?)

As for the Grizzlies: He lead Memphis to the playoffs several times. They are going to retire his number. Hell, don't just take my word for it.

Robert Pera, owner of the Memphis Grizzlies posted:

"He plays with a heart and a passion for the game that helped carry this franchise to seven straight playoff appearances, but what Marc has done for this organization is about more than just basketball. He was a part of a core group of players that helped shape the identity of this franchise on and off the court and were embraced by the City of Memphis. On behalf of the Grizzlies organization, I would like to thank him for his blood, sweat and dedication to the Grizzlies and Memphis. The impact he has had on this team and the city will live on, and we look forward to one day welcoming him back home to Memphis where his #33 jersey will hang in the rafters of FedExForum next to Zach (Randolph) and Tony (Allen).”
I didn't actually know about Tony, though. That warms my shriveled, cynical heart.

Meanwhile, it looks like no one signed Diallo, who also leaves the league for good.

Kid had potential. I hope he makes it over in Europe or China or wherever he goes to play. In another universe, he's one of our star players.

Every member of our staff except our assistant coach has their contract expire. Our Scout and Trainer are the best we're likely to get, so I sign both for four years.

Meanwhile, Coach has shored up his earlier "deficiencies" on offense. He's now one of the best Coaches in the league, so I give him a slight raise and also re-sign him for four years.

I upgrade our CFO and Assistant GM.

Vince Carter is available for hire, but his preferred job is Assistant Coach, and he's not as good as ours. Infuriatingly, I can only sign him as an Assistant Coach or a Coach, but his generated stats would make him a seriously good Assistant GM. He won't even consider the offer, which, I have seen this sort of thing before----why bother giving him stats if you can't hire him to the position? CFOs and Trainers are in an entirely separate pool from the other 4 positions, and they have Fs across the board. Like, he's on the list of available hires for Assistant GM---why couldn't I do it? Does anyone know how this works Mechanically? (No. 2k doesn't even know.)

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The most important thing, going into the offseason is re-signing Bol Bol

Luckily, he wants to. This is home for him.

Assuming that it takes us about 8million (roughly) to sign rookies, with the contracts coming off the books, we'll enter the offseason with about 48 million dollars to play with. Since he made the All Star team again, and also was named 2nd team All-NBA, Bol is probably going to ask for north of 20 million dollars (....instead of the 15.88 from before). So really, we only have about 28 million. Something to keep in mind, but before we can even think about free agency, we gotta think about the draft. Assuming everyone who can walk, does walk (I don't want all of them to, but this is a discussion for later), except for Bol, our depth is as follows:

PG: Holiday/(Payton)
SG: Bogdanovich/Wright/Payton/(Windler)
SF: Windler/(Sharp)/(Kelley)
PF: Kelley/Sharp/Miller/(Kabengele)
C: Bol/Kabengele/(Miller)

We have the 10th and 22nd picks in the NBA Draft.

Overseas Genius
There's a Spanish SF on the board who has an A+ potential, but he's under contract for 2 years with his Spanish team. He's almost certainly the best potential player that could fall to us, but our star player is actually younger than this guy is.
If this guy falls to #10, do we take him? YES OR NO

Assuming he doesn't, or people vote no:

Pick #10
A)Draft Potential
B)Draft the Best Available
C)Draft for Position (Specify)
D)Draft for Skill (Specify)

Pick #22
A)Draft Potential
B)Draft the Best Available
C)Draft for Position (Specify)
D)Draft for Skill (Specify)

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Looks like our first season may have been a bit of fools gold so I think we've got to prioritize Potential at both, including the Spanish guy. Is it possible that he would never come over even after the 2 years in 2k?

Exceptions being if (especially the 22nd) there isn't a lot of separation in potential, or if the high potential player is a position we've got covered well/ is unlikely to see minutes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Unless explicitly told, I'm not taking another Power Forward.

I have no idea if there's a mechanic for players staying even longer overseas---so far as I have seen simming a few seasons in this and the test game, they always come over eventually.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Welp, receiving only one vote with a clear directive, the repercussions for this are going to be..... .....interesting. The way this draft went down was completely unexpected. I am going to do something very ...unconventional... in the draft.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Do much of the graphics change over the 80 years? Obviously in 20 years the players will be completely computer generated, but will it also start to apply to the d-list twitter commentators? Do the uniform styles change at all?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

tomanton posted:

Do much of the graphics change over the 80 years? Obviously in 20 years the players will be completely computer generated, but will it also start to apply to the d-list twitter commentators? Do the uniform styles change at all?

So, the twitter idiots never change or age, sadly. Even funnier---I've never actually seen video go out that far, but I'm pretty sure Bill Russell will still be giving out Finals MVP trophies at the ripe old age of 166. This isn't nearly as funny as older 2k games where there were presidential visits for the champions, and Obama seemingly governed the US for 80 years. That sound you're hearing is all the MAGA nuts out there screaming internally hard enough to crack the mantle of the Earth.

As for uniform style changes---Not on its own.
A few things:
1)I have automatic league expansion turned on, which, in theory, eventually even more teams should be added to the league, but in practice, I have no idea if that feature actually works or how it works. It might require that I design more and then queue them up---since I expanded our two focal teams, adding more teams hasn't yet been up for a vote, but at the same time, the vote to add them was on the first Off-season, and this is very, very early in the game. If I don't see it in like, 15 years or so, I might just add new teams.
2)I also have no idea if teams automatically relocate. My gut feeling is "no, that's too difficult for 2k to actually do", (and honestly, I don't actually hold this one against them) so that's another thing I might consider as the thread ages----relocating or potentially rebranding existing teams. Possibly both. I might consider some kind of contest. Which leads me to
3)If anyone actually owns this game on PC and wants to design a jersey or a new logo for an existing team, I'll incorporate it. As long as it's a serious submission and not like, fuckin' Patrick Star or some poo poo, or wildly out of character for the teams. Just note that, unless people seriously ask me to show things off (I can't vid-capture/upload video very well) I'm not going to outside of the playoffs or if they do something interesting during the draft. Although, yeah, I'd go out of my way to take screens from a game during the season it'd likely just show up that time.

Update follows shortly. Working on it now.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 5, Offseason 2022, the Draft

The 2022 NBA Draft rolls around. The Chicago Bulls managed to land the #1 pick for third time in franchise history. This year is a very international-heavy draft, and experts are uncertain if the Bulls will take one of the many draft-and-stash players, or if they'll take a young Ukrainian power forward named Anton Gornev. There are good US players that might shine, but the absolute cream of the crop is from overseas.

They opt for Gornev. At only 77 overall, he's the best player right now in this draft, and he has high potential. There are higher ratings out there, but on stash players.

A few picks later, Atlanta makes a bold play for the "Best Name Drafted" award. They reach for Jackson Jackson out of Boise State. (It was around here, I noticed that draft projections completely went to hell---this guy was like 10-16 on the three different mocks. Weirdly, on the after-draft report, this wasn't even the reach it seemed at the time. This is a very even, very poor draft.)

Boos ring out in the NYC audience. This speaks very, very well indeed for the value of this pick. (Tyler here is an Australian Draft-and-Stash player, and also the actual highest overall player available in the draft. He was #1 on two of the three boards.) Watching NBA draft nights is funny, because New York's fans almost universally boo their good picks and cheer poor ones. It's uncanny how wildly disconnected from basketball New York is, like, on a conceptual level.

The 76ers pick up the best player on the Kings, and a huge asset to keep them in playoff contention.

Remember when I talked about a potential, Spanish genius SF falling to me? Well, he did. But, more importantly, an actual, better genius SF, who only stashes for one year instead of two, and is four years younger, also fell to me.

So, while I was told to take the best potential available, even if it were Barea, amazingly, Sasha Bilic here, who was a consensus top 5 pick, fell to 10th. So... Yoink.

We'll see you next year, Sasha.

The Pels acquire Monte Morris, whom you may recall was on our team very briefly.

I had something like six point guards scouted that there's a run on, and it weirds me the hell out. They were all supposed to be around the 20-30 range, but go before it can even fall to me at 22. But then I notice----

gently caress IT.
I agonized on this one for quite a long time. They play the same position, but Barea can also slide to SG. They're two of of the only A+ potential players in the draft, and it's not like they'll be competing for minutes right now, so I do the unspeakable, and draft two first round players who won't be in Honolulu this year. Aggravated Honu Fans threaten to throw me into the sea.

This was the player I was considering taking over Barea. So I'm glad he was only two picks later. Not all foreign players are stashers---Perez here, like Gornev, is ready to play in the league right now.

Toronto takes this guy. Notice the initial in his name?

That's because this guy was taken shortly afterward. Look at that nonsense. 2k Generated two loving players from Germany in the same draft class, at the same position, and named both of them Stefan Schumacher. They have initials because I manually edited them in to not become confused. The initials were supposed to be "A" and "B", but 2k decided that Stefan A. Schumaker was offensive for some reason, so they're given the initials "B" and "C" I'm already dreading the idea of a league full of clone names running around. It'd be completely impossible to follow anyone's career.

Speaking of names:

The Hornets make a last second push to wrest the control of the "Best Name" award from the Hawks' Jackson Jackson.

Jeffrey Meeks is Mr. Irrelevant, 2022. (Although, if I recall correctly, I actually had Brooklyn sign him.)

Once again, I go through the agonizing process of taking control over every single team in the league, and trying to figure out if the team would actually sign any of its second round picks. I discover the results of Cleveland's draft:

Cleveland has 12 players under contract. They only have roster space for 3 more players. An NBA team that had their picks would trade them away---sometimes for cold hard cash. As it stands, all three of these second round picks are good enough to be in the NBA, but I have to decline two of them. This game thwarts me at every conceivable turn.

While signing second round picks I notice a couple of interesting things about our rivals:

The first is that their draft-and-stasher from Greece last year, Dimitris Dourekas, is ready to play. And he's improved pretty shockingly over in Europe. At 83 overall, he's the highest overall rookie entering the season, and quite possibly to be this season's rookie of the year. (And... since this is before the progression phase, he might actually get better. Seeing this makes me feel less stupid about taking our own stash picks) But check this out:

This year, they took another draft-and-stash player from Greece, and he's an A+ potential guy (taken in the second round, even!) This guy wasn't even on my radar, or else I might have picked him over Barea. I know I said I didn't need another PF, but I could theoretically move him to C. Or move Ralph Miller back the C. A PF|C is a different player than the collection of commemorative PF|SF (Rebounding) players I have drafted recently.
Clearly, our rivals have someone very smart working for their organization doing work over in Greece.

These are the three players with team offers this year, and they're no-brainers. Windler's one of our best players (At the end of the year, since Bridges was starting so much, his scoring fell quite a bit, but he'll likely be back at the top of our rotation this season), and Harry Kelley is our starting Power Forward. I feel like I don't talk about Kabengele enough. Kabengele does a lot of good things for this team, and if I didn't have Bol Bol, he might be who I had tried to groom into our star player. As it stands, I've left him as Bol's backup and occasional running mate. He's very solid for us.

We have 50 million dollars to play with this offseason. There are big name players negotiating contracts, and I either don't have a snowball's chance in hell of landing any of them, or they aren't a good fit for our team. (Kemba Walker is available, but I dunno how much I want to invest in all-star old men.)

Approximately 21 of that is going to Bol Bol. Like I said when I didn't re-do last offseason, this would punish us financially. That's 6 million dollars more a year that he's asking for. I feel like 21 million a year for the second best center in the league is an extremely fair price, though.

Mykhailiuk is asking for around 5 mil per, and I'm inclined to bring him back on. I'll let him stew in free agency for a while. He's an RFA, so if someone offers him anything, I can just match, but if no one does, I might be able to grab him long term for a smaller deal than he'd normally accept.

Fred VanVleet wants another 13 million a year. I don't think he deserves it. I think it's time to let him walk. Especially because, my eyes pop clean out of my skull when I see this gem available:

William Floyd is a Make-a-Wish-Foundation kid with a rare muscular disorder that got to have his face scanned into NBA2k20. His actual wish was just to visit 2k's offices, because he thinks sports simulation games are great and gives him a way to have the competition of sports, which he'll never play. And, being real here, the actual technology that goes into this game is pretty kickin' rad. Again, he just wanted to visit their offices.. 2k surprised him by scanning in his face and making him an actual character you can encounter in 2k20. I know I give this game and this company an awful lot of poo poo in this thread, but that was a seriously classy, touching thing to do. Good on you, 2k.

What's important here is look at those numbers. Ok, first off, why the hell didn't the Spurs re-sign him? If Paul George was beating him in scoring, it wasn't by much. This kid was absolutely vital to their playoff run. Secondly, those are his numbers coming off the bench. Terry Rozier III is a goddamn fraud. There is no chance in hell that he'd have been last year's sixth man of the year. Floyd's season blew his out of the water. Doesn't have the rebounds, but the efficiency is way higher.

Floyd wants less money per year than Vanvleet, (only about 10 million, as opposed to the 13(?) Vanvleet wants) is nearly a decade younger, and only a few points less overall. He currently has no offers made during this moratorium, I think we have to get him.

Vanvleet is usually a starter. It might throw off our team chemistry a bit.

1)VanVleet or Floyd or both? (We technically have the cap space to do this, if we really wanted to. This is also where you'd vote if you wanted me to actually try to sign Kemba Walker, who is asking for close to 30 million dollars.)
2)How do we fill in our roster? We currently have 9 players under contract, Bol will make 10. We must have 14 to enter the season. One of the point guards would give us 11, and we'd still need three slots. I'm still trying to bring back Mykhailiuk, and possibly Valentine, since they seem to be asking for reasonable deals.
A)Sign Veterans to small-term deals or B)Sign promising young players to long-term but cheap deals or C)Sign promising young players to short term deals (Be advised, they might want a raise. Sometimes a big one.)

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Get Floyd. No question about that one. For #2, I think it might be a good idea to grab some cheap vets and try to get some of the more promising young players in mentor setups. My understanding is that badges do indeed make a difference in simmed games so we shouldn't neglect that area.

I think you or maybe another poster linked this in the SAS thread - just read through it all, loving it so far!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

1) Floyd
2) B if there is anyone with enough potential, if not, A

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Average Lettuce posted:

1) Floyd
2) B if there is anyone with enough potential, if not, A

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

ReWinter posted:

Get Floyd. No question about that one. For #2, I think it might be a good idea to grab some cheap vets and try to get some of the more promising young players in mentor setups. My understanding is that badges do indeed make a difference in simmed games so we shouldn't neglect that area.

I agree with this

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

ReWinter posted:

I'm in agreement.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ReWinter posted:

Sounds perfect to me.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ReWinter posted:

I think you or maybe another poster linked this in the SAS thread - just read through it all, loving it so far!

Thanks!

Chapter 5, Offseason 2022, Free Agency, Summer League, and Progression

Only a small update today.

This news page pretty succinctly lists the big offers that matter to us. Both Bol and Floyd sign their deals for as long as I can lock both of them down. Fred VanVleet went to the Lakers, and could conceivably help them quite a bit more than he was helping us. They're pretty thin at the Point. Thanks for your service, Freddy.

Toward the end of free agency, I convinced Mykhailiuk to come back for a two year deal. The other Fred V, Fred Valentine, doesn't get any offers, so I let him return by signing his offer sheet.

Most of free agency was everyone signing their offer sheets.
Every team is tapped out. Us and the Ravens are the only teams that aren't above the salary cap. Everyone else is way over. I gotta adjust something with my sliders or something, because that's just.... player movement is going to get weird. Or rather, nonexistent. What the gently caress did you do, 2k? How the hell can you make a simulation game where every AI team goes over the cap? The AI is both way too willing to not sign their cheap draft players, and way too willing to overpay players, by like, a lot. Hopefully some fiddling can fix this in a few seasons.

Well, per the thread direction, I was told to hire older guys with lots of badges to pass on in training, so I did. So, who did I manage to find to pass their basketball wisdom and experience down to the younger generation? Clearly I would need to hire someone cerebral. Someone professorial.

......what? He had the most badges. Most of our young guys are big.

The other cheap, semi-old dude I found with badges to pass on is either not old enough to pass them, or exclusively only has badges that won't pass down to our team:

I'm not gonna lie, I consider myself pretty schooled in the NBA, and I have literally no idea who this guy is.
Maybe you need to be north of 30? I dunno. I was disappointed none of his 7 badges will transfer to anyone on our team.

Once the season starts, I set Payton up to teach Windler some defense and McGee to teach Harry Kelley some of his big man skills and also how to finish alley-oops. Both of these immediately break every single time I leave the mentor screen. This was broken back in 2019, when the system was introduced. And it's still broken now, on the next game, but it's still a tab that you can select and go into, taunting you. Mentorship in 2k20 doesn't actually work. It unequips constantly.

That ought to be loving illegal. Someone should be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for that. That's a level of laziness that I'm inclined to call "evil".

The "big" signings in the offseason, other than the major stars Doncic, Trae Young, and DeAndre Ayton staying with their teams, were two. Mo Bamba went to the Hornets

And last year's thief of the Sixth Man of the Year award gets to start for the Jazz, giving them a pretty formidable back court presence.

The Ravens win Summer League.

Kelley, Sharp, Valentine, and Miller play. They are all power forwards, currently. Sharp plays the best of them, at least on the boards, but I'm not inclined to do anything with him.

In an effort to make the game somewhat more realistic (lol) I randomize minor gains or losses in potential in anyone under the age of 26 assigned to a team before the progression phase. I intend to do this every off-season before the progression phase. This should make more late picks into surprise breakout players, and more early round picks into busts or mediocre disappointments. I applied the same rules to myself as I did everyone else, so I get slapped with a fairly hefty decrease to both Sharp and Miller. Only had two players go down, but I think in total potential lost, I was one of the hardest hit teams. So Sharp is basically capped out at 74 overall. To be fair, he's a productive 74 overall, but the coaches will never put him in the game unless someone else is hurt, because they don't consider things like "this is actually my team's best rebounder" and 2k's Overall system makes even less than zero sense. My gains in potential were pretty minimal. So overall, I think I took damage from my system. Some teams (That's a surprise for later!) will almost certainly benefit. A lot.

If any of these drafts ever generates actual younger players, this could get pretty wild.

For camps this particular year I don't bother to hold a vote: I assign Bol Bol to Basketball 101, because his potential, while not max, is close enough I don't care to raise it, and instead want to give him some fundamentals (passingIQ and shootingIQ are the ones I wanted, and this camp gives both), Floyd, however, I do assign to potential. We can get him higher.

The most disappointing part of Miller having his potential dropped is he had an absolutely absurd gain this year.

Not needing 4 power forwards + Kabengele in the same rotation, I notice that there's not a lot of difference if I play Valentine as a PF | SF or a SF | PF, so I switch him to SF. Going into the season, our depth would be:

Floyd/Holiday/Arcidiacono
Bogdanovich/Wright/Payton
Windler/Mykhailiuk/Valentine
Kelley/Miller/Sharp
Bol/Kabengele/McGee

That's enough for us to be 17th on our most generous of the power rankings. The other boards have us at 20 and 21. Going into the season, the expected top three teams are the Bucks, Nets, and :frogsiren:New York:frogsiren:. I guess they figure Wayne Newton and Lowe will both break out a bit.

I'm not gonna lie. This....... this offseason and the mentorship thing immediately after.... and the League's salary cap situation.... this broke me a little. Surely we can do better than this, game developers.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Whew boy. NBA 2K is a hot mess. Kinda incredible how poorly designed it is, and this is just the high level simulation stuff. Good on you for playing this, and also for adding in the randomizer.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Guper posted:

Whew boy. NBA 2K is a hot mess. Kinda incredible how poorly designed it is, and this is just the high level simulation stuff. Good on you for playing this, and also for adding in the randomizer.

Weirdly, I am enjoying myself trying to come up with solutions to problems the game's mess of construction have given me. Going insane over this is keeping me from going insane over real life. It's also something I have wanted to do since like, 2016, and I am pretty notorious for not keeping a schedule (shout out to the Dominions community for dealing with my bullshit), so I am thrilled folks are actually paying attention. I sometimes feel like I move the thread too fast, but I worry that if I don't, I won't get back to it.

As far as randomizing potential, I literally rolled dice. I rolled 1(whatever) and a d6. The first die was essentially a coinflip, and the d6 was the actual value I used. (It only now occurs to me I could have rolled a single d12 and saved the trouble) I recognized that this could lead to players (collectively) being more good than bad, because you can't adjust potential down below their actual overall, so if I over-rolled, I passed it down to the next player until I met the numerical requirement. So if I rolled a loss of six, maybe one guy became a disappointing bust, but more often, something like four to six guys were made only a little worse in potential. I just didn't roll for anyone if the previous result carried over.

Some guys got six higher. Many players were unchanged; if I rolled a negative, and the guy couldn't go down, then if the next guy couldn't go down either, he got skipped. Overall, more players stayed pat than went up or down.

My hope is, this will make a few superstars, and have most players cap out in the 70s or low 80s, and also have a couple of guys that break out.

My actual sliders were copied from some guy online, because I felt his made sense... Players in the league are going to potentially gain certain stats in all three arcs of their career. (Which leads me to think maybe I should redetermine potential for more players than I did). Older players will still decline, but 2k defaults to having weird poo poo decline on that phase. The different IQ stats default to declining in your later years, which makes no loving sense. I have that set up as a slight gain. Veterans get wiley. That's how they stick around after their bodies shut down.

So knowing that, a player who gets a big potential boost shortly before they hit their peak might develop less athletically, and is much more likely to develop things like spacing, passing, and shooting during their peak. And become really polished in fundamentals when they get old.

I suspect most growth is done in the regular season. The +8 overall that Miller had, I know six of it came during the season. So I don't want to randomize more than once per season, because I suspect that would make everyone in the league cap out.

I also gave a boost to every young player on the champions if they got minutes. Unfortunately for the Blazers, they lost a lot of this bonus when I actually rolled for them.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 1, 2020

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Whoops! So THAT'S why I never feel like mentorship is doing much. I just assumed I was missing it / not sticking with the game for long enough to see the effects. I have a bad habit of playing every single match in 2k, with quarters set to 12 minutes, which is fun basketball but really doesn't ever lead to me finishing seasons.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Arcidiacano is the guy from Northern Iowa that broke Kansas hearts so he’s a good man in my book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 6, 2022-2023, Part I, 2022

The Honu start the season by rattling off 5 wins in a row, but then quickly normalize to what appears to be an above-average team in the league. I've found a group of players I really like, and they're starting to really click together now. After Fred Vanvleet left, I think Honu fans were a bit worried about their new starting Point Guard. Floyd was brilliant last season for the Spurs, but he was also coming off the bench. Could he be as effective as a starter?

In his second game with the Honu, Floyd dropped 45 on the Pistons.

Also early on is this game I decided to highlight, to show off the development of Ralph Miller, whom I'm glad we acquired, even if his potential did take a hit.

18 rebounds! It's not a record for us or anything, but when I have 1 (one) player on my entire team that averages more than 10 rebounds a game, seeing someone else pull down nearly 20 is a beautiful thing. Also shown: Bol Bol tying his own record for blocks, Delon Wright showing off the sort of things he does when he's feeling it.

Performances like that one by Bol throughout the end of the year lead to me finally, finally accomplishing one of my short-term goals for the Honu:

Bol Bol is named Western Conference player of the week. The East looks like there's a lot of parity in their star players. Out West, though, what in the world is Doncic doing? The easiest way to check, I've found, is to check the MVP Award Race

:stare:

....moving right along.

Partway through December, Bol goes off for 50 on the Suns

After I wrap up the calendar year, I take a look at the Rookie of the Month awards. This one really made me happy to see:

Both those guys in the West illustrate something:

Now, I can't remember if Brooklyn was the team that selected Kirk here, but both of these are second round picks. Holland was a guy I considered taking with the pick where I took Barea. If I left the AI alone, if I wasn't forcing the teams to sign their actual draft picks, neither of these players would be here. Holland would be looking for work, maybe in the G-league, and Rivers (who did spend quite a bit of time in the G-league---I'm not even sure if the Nets are the team that drafted him, note his draft year) would have very likely retired.

Rivers' overall surprises me for a player taken as late as he was. I only started adjusting player potential this year, and even with A+ potential (which Rivers does not have) that's a huge jump from whatever he was at the start of the season. the G-league can do some great things for developing players, it would be really nice if they didn't all hate it in this game. At any rate, this is a really encouraging sign that something I'm doing might actually be making this game a bit more dynamic.

The only two trades show me that the Blazers are re-tooling their roster, and that holy hell, the Phoenix Suns are allergic to draft picks.

The Injury table looks like this:

Jusuf Nurkic has detachable knees, apparently. That's the opposite knee than the one he dislocated in the playoffs. DiVincenzo was the starting SG for the Bucks, so him being out is a pretty big blow. The injuries to Valanciunas and Jokic could give them a bit of a tough stretch in the season.

...............At this point, I realize that I should apologize to you guys. I've been coldly showing off Injuries as they happen (or as I notice them), without showing off one of the few wonderful parts of this game, the lunatic poo poo-posting NBA Injury Report. If a player gets injured, and you check social media, there might be fans or analysts talking about the legitimate injury suffered and what it might mean for the team, but basically every injury, there's also this shining, wonderful beacon of hope for us all:

I don't know how many of these reports are in the game, but they make me smile. This is weird, brilliant performance art.

Another thing I do is check in on Fred Vanvleet, to see if he's comfortable in his new home

While his scoring actually decreased, I'm just.... irrationally angry at the jump in 3pt%.

Our team continues to be gunners. We take more shots than anyone. We're only about middle-of-the-league in accuracy, but we take quite a bit more shots than other teams to make up for it.

On the defensive end of things:

Among qualifying players, Ralph Miller has the lowest Opponent Field Goal percentage in the entire league. Not shown: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk is magically a good defender again.

And now, standings. First, the East:

And now, the west:

We're in a respectable fifth place in the west, currently, but more shockingly, our rival team for this thread is number one in the League, going into the New Year. I wonder how this is possible:

I didn't notice either of these signings. Lavine was the big name free agent available after Paul George. He's on a one year deal with the Ravens. Actually, pretty much everyone is on a one year deal with the Ravens. Going into next season, they have eleven expiring contracts to worry about.

Remember when I was talking about the Cap being broken? I thumb through the salary cap table for next season, and I notice that quite a lot of teams are going to have actual space to work with, and I check the coming Free Agent class and I see that it's..... really good. Like, at least two pages of high quality (like 84+) players. So, while everyone is crazily capped out this season, I might have overreacted. It's entirely possible that teams made a bunch of moves to get themselves ready for what promises to be a wild-west shootout of an off-season. I'm going to tentatively withdraw that particular criticism. We'll see if that "entire roster of temps" thing persists, because it'd be sad to be the only relatively stable team in the league.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 1, 2020