Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Bring back the New Jersey Nets! Have a battle of Nets vs Nets.

1)Which Four Cities sound fun?
Newark, NJ
Kansas City, MO
Montreal, QC Canada
Tampa, FL

2)Which Season do we start in?
2019-2020 season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

I think everyone can agree that what America really lacks in this day and age is PATRIOTISM. That's why when we bring back the New Jersey Nets in Newark they will rock their historic Stars and Stripes jerseys, just like Dr. J used to. And New Jersey will get its revenge on Kevin Durant and the pretenders in Brooklyn.

(seriously, I want to bring those beautiful jerseys back)

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
1. I think they should be the Honolulu Honu. It's a fun tongue twister of a name and it has local significance:

holualoainn.com posted:

The Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle is the only indigenous reptile found in Hawaii, but for Hawaiians, the Honu is a symbol of good luck in the form of a guardian spirit, or Amakua. The Honu pattern is depicted in ancient petroglyphs as well as in modern graphic form. For Hawaiians then and now, the Honu represents the navigator, and the eternal link between man, the land and the sea.

Give them some 90s rear end Jerseys, sea green and blue.

2. The Vancouver Ravens sound good to me, I'm always going to support a purple jersey.

3. Let's be Honolulu, we'll build a dynasty in the Pacific.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Ravens + Honu

Play as the Honu

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
BBC

We may be in the Bronx but they are NOT going to have a good time watching us until we leave.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Agree with the consensus of Just going for Bogdanovic. When jetlagged teams step off the plane in Honolulu(The Bronx), they should be overwhelmed by offense more than anything else.

Also sad that Dewan Hernandez, the only surviving NBA player in the FE 2K League, will not be a Honu.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 15, 2020

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Fun fact: I used to work in the same office building as the Knicks and the New York Rangers, so I would see James Dolan around some times. I think I rode in an elevator with him and his security once too.

Anyway, 1B and 2D(Forward)
Now that we know Bol Bol can do some great things it's time to find him a We need to get stronger on the interior, but we're still early enough in the team building phase that we shouldn't dismiss best potential. The only case where I'd hold off drafting for best potential is if they're a pure Center, otherwise go nuts.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

ReWinter posted:

Get Floyd. No question about that one. For #2, I think it might be a good idea to grab some cheap vets and try to get some of the more promising young players in mentor setups. My understanding is that badges do indeed make a difference in simmed games so we shouldn't neglect that area.

I agree with this

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I support plan E, mainly because we need to isolate Rudy Gobert from the rest of society as soon as possible to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
We want Olynyk back, we'll be strong enough at small forward to go small and shift down if we need to. Better to get some more backup bigs given our lads' injury history.

Try G, look for a decent deal that punts our obligations down the road, but if nothing good comes up then go E.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
That is... baffling.

I don't know much about the extent of your editing powers here, can you play around with changing the state of the remaining overseas player and try to force him here? Not sure what else is left at that point unless you trade their rights.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Two years seems fine. We've got that Spanish kid who can slide down to shooting guard coming out next season so two years lets us see what the new kid can do and potentially move Delon based on that.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
First off congrats on building a winner so quickly, simultaneously nasty in the paint while also being deadly with threes is a hell of a pretty system too. Secondly I am :allears: at the coming clusterfuck.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Until we find out what this new capless world is we shouldn't overcommit to keeping role players here, the only essentials now are Bilic and Bol. I'd almost say slash and burn the roster otherwise but let's see.

We really want to keep Gobert and Miller. Even in this new world and as Gobert declines he offers us that defensive skill which is hard to just find, and that makes him valuable. I assume Miller is now an A or A- potential wise, which is still good enough that we should hold onto him. The others we can take or leave, I leave to your discretion.

I choose both of the point guards, with Cisse the preferred choice to draft, B for pick 32, since we should start revamping our rotation and for our last pick, do B and find someone to stash in the G league. I say move Floyd to SG, D. We have to get the ball out of his hands to some extent, and with Barra we have an interesting small/big combo at shooting guard.

Thordain fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 10, 2020

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
That mustache is fantastic. I don't care if we missed out on a big point guard, Jacque Cisse rules.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
It might be a problem next season, but that's so far away it barely matters.

I don't have a full view on the team right now (Not to critique, but if there was a set of images in the OP showing the current state of the team I would find that very helpful) but if this selfishness is a long term problem for Floyd I see his future as a productive sixth man, propping up some second unit so long as he has a smart point guard to watch him.

Also echoing beejay in saying that I'm enjoying this lp a lot.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Hoo boy, those Gobert and Bilic scoring numbers are rough. Glad we have our deep bench of firepower but I wonder if Bilic has some intangibles set to discourage scoring. If he can crack it we should have a scary lineup though.

Might be time to drop Gobert after the season if Kabengele is playing that well, I doubt you'd be able to move that contract reasonably.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I somehow missed that Herbert Curry is Italian? And now it's going to haunt me for the rest of my life. The first child named Herbert since the first world War and he's Italian. Beautiful, this game is great.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Jadecore posted:

Eminescu, Kabengele, Filimon. Wouldn't mind Gobert, but disruption to team chemistry isn't a good look in my book.

I agree with this. Although I will miss our gigantic Frenchman, we have a new, smaller Frenchman with a mustache coming in, and the two must never meet!

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Man, I wish there was an NBA team built like this, a turbocharged version of the Raptors that is deep as hell. Nice to see Bilic coming together to complete our Balkan Boys.

1D and let's go get Donta Greene because I'm a sucker for prospects, and he's probably better than what we'd find in the late first round. At PF he'd get minutes immediately too.

2B I love you Delon but there's probably other PGs out there that are just as workable.

3A

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

FartingBedpost posted:

B, but also look for a fun/cool name if possible

And yeah let’s pay Filimon

This sounds good to me.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I've enjoyed this LP immensely VSM, I've always enjoyed a sports franchise mode and watching you steer the ship with goons has helped make the lack of sports more tolerable.

Obviously everything with this site is up in the air right now and I'm making my plans to move on, but I hope you get a chance to continue this.

Go Honu

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
First of all, props to you for keeping a team like this together for multiple seasons without a salary cap, if a lack of all-star recognition is the price we pay for that, it's not too bad. I wonder if salary costs factor into the 'voting' at all.

Those Celtics are stunning as well, I would have thought they could find at least a couple of wins in the mid-season grind, but that roster construction has absolutely doomed them. Honestly they should get the first pick regardless, I hate Boston teams but this is so pathetic I would feel bad for them to end up with the fourth pick or something.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Very happy to see the Honu win it again! Glad they get to celebrate with some...

2K sports brand Champagne. It's only a 2K game if it comes from the Champagne region of France.

Also, dear lord those Celtics are terrible. Can I ask who the rest of their players were after the 18 shooting guards, because 2 wins in 82 chances seems ridiculous.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Thordain posted:

Honestly they should get the first pick regardless, I hate Boston teams but this is so pathetic I would feel bad for them to end up with the fourth pick or something.

Veryslightlymad posted:

As for the Celtics and their 2 win season?

NEVER TANK.

Nah, I take it back, that's funny as hell.

1. Howard Wood sounds good to me, but also I'm just thinking about loading up on SGs.

2. Sasha Bilic is a legitimately valuable piece, the sort of defender we should absolutely hold onto given our system. I also wonder if the AI is going to value him that highly though, since his numbers are so low across the board. Let's say 25 million per year, and hold out hope we can knock some sense into him and get him to play to his strengths more.

3. Yeah, let's lower them, this is just silly. No one getting picked in the top ten and going at age 24.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Largepotato posted:

So the Kings took the 6th pick, then traded it & a second round for the 17th pick?

Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. That might be the worst NBA draft day trade I've ever seen,speaking purely in terms of value. Like the Hawks sending Luka to Dallas is worse but we couldn't have known that yet(We knew).

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

MagusofStars posted:

Nah, the Hawks trading Luka is justifiable - they really liked Trae Young and got an extra first round draft pick along with the guy they wanted. Their player evaluations were clearly wrong, but the overall concept of the trade is defensible.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to convey in my post.

Do you get to see real ratings right after you draft someone? Maybe Byars was way worse than the Kings thought so they offloaded him.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
1)C Honestly we need one of the C's Shooting Guards, I want to see if any of them are any good. Boyd Johnson looks interesting offhand and getting a first back is valuable.

2)Extending Will makes sense, and I agree with beejay on the length, 4 years puts both team and player in a good position

3)Let's keep Delon around

edit: Also, for anyone with a PS4 that wants to start their own MyLeague, NBA 2K20 is gonna be free on PS Plus this month.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
1.D, and I agree on looking for a Doncic stopper, or at least someone to slow him down.

3.A, Sacramento needs to get past the Kings.

4.B, more teams. MORE.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Seattle gets tops on the list
Kansas City should get the Kings back!
Montreal for French Basketball
Providence because I am so curious about a pro team in Rhode Island

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Seattle - E is some real 90's looking poo poo, and I love it.
Montreal - F because I am digging that wild color scheme.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Holy crap those scoring numbers, It's like we're back in the mid 2000's. For context, at this point last season in-game, Sacramento was scoring 95.7 points per game, the only team in the league below 108. This season that would be the third best offense in basketball. Between this and removing the salary cap I'm amazed at how committed the virtual owners are to killing their own game.

1. Package A looks good to me, I like the look of Craig Payton.

2. A, you've been reasonable about these sorts of things throughout the LP, I think it would be fine.

3.A, though I'm hesitant to ask you to do more work to fix the AI's failings.

4.Extend both, Windler for 3 years, Fillimon for 2

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The craziest part to me about Luka breaking the MVP awards record is that in game I think he just turned 30.

1:A, get Duncan in there, it's Timmy Time.
2:A, We're not gonna be able to bring back Donta, so Harry Kelley should be a solid pickup
3:15 million, we won't be able to keep him for long since Payton needs to get paid at some point, but still better to have him and move him later.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
F
Honestly I think Giannis would still be a game breaker for three more seasons, but he doesn't fit with a Honu swansong

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

oldskool posted:

1) Morgan
2) Package C, trade for Timmy Vaughn Gogh :v:
not enough name drafting in this thread IMO

I agree with this. Both of these players are gonna be on the second team and complement each other well, Morgan gives us size and shooting and Vaughn provides playmaking. Being able to grow together is also a plus.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
As a programmer I try not to be too critical of others projects, because no one is trying to ship bad code and the timelines on this sort of yearly project seem horrific. That being said, that's pretty bad on Vancouver's part. Maybe every general manager is just set to look for a particular kind of coach, so this ine keeps falling back on the same bad choices?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

I also used to be a (bad) programmer, but given that a lot of these issues have been around for years I am unsympathetic while disappointed that fan-made solutions have not cropped up. 2K doesn't change that much from year to year in recent iterations and the problems are not only ongoing but well-documented in this the age of digital distribution and patching. In the case of a tiny indy studio I would be more forgiving, but Visual Concepts has half a dozen studios and over 300 employees. My presumption is that they don't give a toss about franchise because they want to focus on the cash-grab parts. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that this game was published by EA for Activision, and I'm frankly a bit surprised that they don't charge micropayments for classic teams.

VSM, for what it's worth you have my permission to do whatever you need to do to unjank this tangled nonsense.

Oh sure, to some extent its bad management of development resources that let's these bugs stay in year after year, although based on what I've read about Madden these teams have a ten month window to produce these games, and no marketing department is gonna sign off on a game where the feature is 'we fixed some of the bugs'. Also, part of the problem is that when you have a big sandbox style game, regardless of genre(franchise modes, CK2, Fallout), you're going to see more bugs over time. Investing a lot of time in a big world that can go a lot of different ways leaves a lot of ground difficult to QA for, and those bugs are going to build on top of old bugs

I've thought for a long time that sports series should have a rotation of developers like Call of Duty has, so there can be a two year dev cycle instead of a one year cycle, but also with loot boxes on the way out in the next few years EA or 2K probably wouldn't go for it.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Ah, my favorite part of any franchise run, when you have to stick or twist. Since it's been a decade of dominance for the Honu I think it's probably time to slash and burn

1: E, but do the Cisse deal last and see if you can maneuver some of your new resources from the other trades to get the best protections for your pick.
2: B More high picks is better.
3. B I believe in Frankie.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I now just imagine Jared Henderson as some sort of basketball Grim Reaper, traveling from team to team and instituting insane systems, ruining team chemistry, and physically breaking their talent. He's like Thibodeau but with more Satanic powers.

Also, with two(three?) championships and eight MVP awards, I think this world's ESPN would be truly insufferable in trying to rank Jordan, Doncic, and LeBron every day.

1.C
2. A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Veryslightlymad posted:

I become aware of this injury leading up to the all-star break.

And yet....

The game doesn't bother to replace players for the non-game contests in the all-star break. So...... the implication here is that Luka Doncic won the 3 pt shootout with a broken wrist. Or maybe he shot with his offhand. And won. Stuart Thornton was in the Dunk Contest again, but once again didn't win.

Ok, between this and the ninth MVP award(which ties him for first across major North American sports with Wayne Gretzky!), I'm willing to declare Luka Doncic the greatest player of all time. How is he on the leaderboards?