Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Because ball is life (and I'm a Nuggets fan who hopes he can make it in the league) Bol Bol to untapped potential and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk to perimeter defense because 3 and D. Though honestly, I'm not sure if defense in general and particular for Sviatoslav is a lost cause? Also not sure if Bol Bol needs untapped potential given his large increase already but, screw it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Kyle Anderson traded? Are you telling me there's no mo slow mo? Anyways, absolutely absurd trade, especially if virtual Pheonix is as bad as they should be the next few years.

I don't really have any lineup thoughts - I guess leave the Cs as Cs for now, at least. Maybe change that if it looks like Kelley is a bust?

I'm really enjoying this so far - man I miss basketball.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Ravens! :argh:

I liked the coverage overall. I think I'd like to see the full standings at the end of an update. Also, maybe I missed it but I'm curious who exactly is on the Ravens? Crazy that they seem to be our opposite. Also just realized I don't think (or again, maybe I missed it) we've talked about our coach?

Maybe for the first few season updates (or in separate mechanic updates) you could cover one of the other aspects of the game, like how coaching, scouting, the G-league, whatever works?

That morale seems silly - looks like winning the dunk contest has gone to Diallo's head.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
BB

Great showing in the playoffs, very surprised we beat the Mavs!

In case anyone is curious here's a very recent Bol Bol practice video. Crazy to see someone with his body (he's 7ft 2 in) moving and shooting so well (albeit, against random trainers).

https://streamable.com/q43ms7

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

Their current owner is a self-obsessed dumbass

How dare you slander JD and the Straight Shot!

For those unaware, the Knicks owner James Dolan, has a lovely rock band (well, he pays for good sessions musicians aside from himself) and will force his mediocre-ness on the public through being a billionaire and owning Madison Square Garden. I definitely don't hate the Knicks, mostly just feel sorry for their fans, though I agree with the last two posters that they get waaay too much coverage given how poo poo they've been, but that's unfortunately the way the league is covered. LA and NY get so much attention even if they are garbage.

KD and Kyrie rant warms the cockles of my heart - if only 2k simulated KD's burner/sockpuppet accounts on twitter. It's going to be super interesting to see KD and Kyrie play together, two seemingly volatile and sensitive personalities.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wow, seems like the AI in 2k really doesn't value first round picks enough. 2 firsts (or even 1 first) for Aminu?

I agree with signing Monte Morris as part of my ongoing quest to turn this team into the Nuggets

And take the Clippers Trade for Aminu

Also, is there anything we can do to reduce Bol Bol's injury risk? Is it just a matter of trying to play him fewer minutes/games?

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wow, I've heard snippets of how hosed up NBA 2K is but this is nuts. Just basic functionality missing.

Either option sounds rough. Are there any cheats or something that make a player/team auto-accept a deal so we could force him to sign the original one?

If not, while my personal preference would be to re-do it to remove the bug, I'd leave it up to you since you have to actually replay stuff!

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

Maybe there are several systems at work here, but I assume none of them actually work.

The NBA 2K story.

Also, too bad for the Clippers losing Paul George, that might've been one of the best defensive teams ever if he stayed there and Gobert joined. Still gonna be very very good on defense though.

I'm tempted to send Bol Bol to whatever camp increases durability (Conditioning, Weight?), but I'd only want to send him there if something else could also potentially improve along with durability because I have no confidence that improving his durability will actually reduce injury risk because 2K. Also would like to send him to Big Man Defense given the nature of the Ravens and some other teams.

Ultimately, I say your choice of Bol Bol to Big Man Defense or durability training

Untapped Potential for whoever you think should get it

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wow those rules!

For anyone not familiar, Goaltending has a lot of nuance, but here are two parts of the rule:

You're not allowed to:

"Touch any ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to score. This is considered to be a “field goal attempt” or trying for a goal."

So you can essentially have someone tall/someone who can jump sit under your hoop and literally swat away ANY ball that comes near them. Bonkers.

Another aspect of the rule is that you can't:

"Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring."

So repealing this rule, by the letter, means you don't even need to block the ball itself. Just stick your hand through the hoop and leave it there.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Extend Holiday for 4 years

Extend Wright for 2 years since he'll probably (maybe?) start declining by then

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Looks like our first season may have been a bit of fools gold so I think we've got to prioritize Potential at both, including the Spanish guy. Is it possible that he would never come over even after the 2 years in 2k?

Exceptions being if (especially the 22nd) there isn't a lot of separation in potential, or if the high potential player is a position we've got covered well/ is unlikely to see minutes.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Whew boy. NBA 2K is a hot mess. Kinda incredible how poorly designed it is, and this is just the high level simulation stuff. Good on you for playing this, and also for adding in the randomizer.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

CUT OUT THE GUTS OF THE QA LEAD AND STRING THEM AROUND THE loving OFFICE FOR ALL TO SEE. GILD HIS loving SKULL AND FORCE OTHER QA DIRECTORS TO GO ON PILGRIMAGE TO ITS RESTING PLACE AS A PARABLE.

Me reading the above poetry (also an example of wonky NBA 2K physics/teleportation).

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Whew boy so many trades. Can't believe that Bam be traded for the 10th pick. I think he made an all-NBA or all-defense team in the last year or two?

Sad that my boy Jokic left the Nuggets, and will be interested to see how Michael Porter Jr. does on the Ravens.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
That 6ers team is a killer, Fox is a perfect fit for them!

That mascot is a California Condor, a bird that was super endangered but is now recovering, but it's still an odd choice for the clippers. Then again, a clipper is an old sail-powered ship - hard to have a mascot with that. It is at least slightly less disturbing than the Pelicans mascot. Maybe I missed it, but do we have a mascot? I imagine not?

Also, how did we not have home court advantage, yet we have pick 30? Weird.

I would just go for highest potential overall at both.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Duh, of course, forgot about literally the premise of this LP oh man.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Oh my god, incredible! Next update could you post the payroll for some of these teams? Maye the highest and lowest few? It looks like the 6ers added ~100million in addition to whatever they already had!

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wow, that Celtics team is incredible. 4 SGs (and 1 SF) is absolutely insane!

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT
I just checked and there will be three free agents in the off-season that are over above 90 Overall and also under the age of 30.

With no salary cap, it's like every year is 2016 free agency!

I wonder who has the "worst" contract in the league? Though I guess "worst" now has to be filtered by how much money an individual team is willing to spend since we are in a world with several hundred million/year payrolls and also payrolls under 100 million.

Guper fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 28, 2020

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wooo go Honu! Jacque Ciss with some JJ Barea guarding Lebron vibes.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Bol is putting the team on his back and I am here for it . Love the way this team has been constructed, ultimate small market still competing and winning against the juggernauts.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Hard not to vote for Dick Steele

Joke city vote: Move the Kings immediately (to anywhere) and replace them with a new team in Sacramento named the Jesters

I guess let's actually go:
Seattle
ABQ
San Diego
Louisville

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Seattle B

and

Montreal C

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
NBA scrimmages are currently going on and Bol Bol just got his first start. So far in ~7 minutes of play he has 5pts, 2 rebounds, and 3 blocks. So excited to see and hear NBA basketball again, fingers crossed it all works out!

EDIT: Final stats for Bol - 16pts, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks

Guper fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

Are they doing empty arenas? I can't remember which sport(s) are doing that, but I've heard it mentioned.

To be honest, I would love to be the only fan in an otherwise empty arena. I stopped going to live sporting events because the crowds, noise and ridiculous prices annoy me.

Yeah, it's empty arenas, aside from team staff. They do seem to be pumping in the normal arena and music and such - I would pay money to get a stream that would let me hear what the players are saying, but alas.

For those unfamiliar, the NBA has tried to make an isolated "bubble" in Disney World where everyone is quarantined when they get in, tested daily, and basically can't leave the bubble. There are some potential issues (namely, Florida, and also that service staff is not in the bubble) but we will see how it works out. So far haven't had any cases in the ~1 week that all teams have been there, but it's obviously real early.