Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Domes block movement straight over them.

Player's aid says you can't cap a cube under another cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

Wait, domes don't block movement do they? If not OZ can move to O5E, right?

They explicitly do: "A Sceptre can move any number of spaces, directly over any colour Cube (but not past a dome or a Sceptre)"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not sure why I had the opposite impression. Anyway :shrug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They still don't want to move O3 :(

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

First blood! :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have no idea what's going on here, but it seems fascinating all the same. I'll keep an eye on this game from the sidelines.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I think they should have moved O3 instead, because now they can't cover up G5 their scepter is sticking out of on the other side.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Team Grey, quick as ever, threatening OZ's bottom.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Orange hides OZ in the depths.

I've made a video summary of turns 1-10

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Seeing this in play has made everything a lot more clear to me!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Team Grey is hunting cubes again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Orange is building a defensive skyscraper.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Grey remembers they have a second stick.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Orange escapes. I've got desk clutter.

I think the flat wall they've built is a bad influence, because a piece in a central position controls a lot of spaces.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Grey's spreading out and unlocking their double cube. Let's hope orange doesn't steal it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

GY is kinda completely trapped now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Orange escapes. I've got desk clutter.

I think the flat wall they've built is a bad influence, because a piece in a central position controls a lot of spaces.

I've clearly been out of the board game loop for a while because I don't recognize some of those components.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I've clearly been out of the board game loop for a while because I don't recognize some of those components.
I reaaaly didn't want to pack Robinson Crusoe away.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121921/robinson-crusoe-adventures-cursed-island
It's a game where you die when it rains.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I reaaaly didn't want to pack Robinson Crusoe away.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121921/robinson-crusoe-adventures-cursed-island
It's a game where you die when it rains.

Oh, that's why I don't recognize it. It's a game I've avoided playing like the plague.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1k5vp5/designer_of_robinson_crusoe_has_vlaada_chvatil/

Here's big time board game designer Vlaada Chvatil helping play test Robinson Crusoe and pointing out some of the faults. Given that you've played the game you should notice where Ignacy (the writer of the posts and dev of the game) ignores the main point of Chvatil's critiques.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 26, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Grey dodges a game-ending fork (OZ to G6). West is abandoned.

Xelkelvos posted:

Here's big time board game designer Vlaada Chvatil helping play test Robinson Crusoe and pointing out some of the faults. Given that you've played the game you should notice where Ignacy (the writer of the posts and dev of the game) ignores the main point of Chvatil's critiques.
I mostly died to weather rolls? Playing the first scenario solo a few times.
Events are split into bad and super bad, but with a way to reverse damage. (?) cards in critical spots can be dodged by Friday-ing them. Morale regenerates in solo.

Now, inventions being random cards is some poo poo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh, that's why I don't recognize it. It's a game I've avoided playing like the plague.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1k5vp5/designer_of_robinson_crusoe_has_vlaada_chvatil/

From the link: "But if character gets wound and there are no consequences, getting wound will not be problem! I need players to be afraid of wounds!"

Having never played Robinson: the wounds ARE the consequence you *** idiot. The consequence of failure is failure. In a well designed game, the consequence is that you just wasted an action plus some other resource and the clock is ticking. At worst, make getting too much of them a direct loss condition, not a 'player's crippled' condition.

"Vlaada, c'mon! It's like in Die Hard movie! You know, Bruce Willis in torn shirt, lots of blood and fight till the very end. Bruce Willis never gives up. That is the feeling I want to have here in Robinson. I want you bleeding, suffering but still fighting for survive!"

Then make wounds INCREASE skills.
Also, really? Man, Vlaada's rebuttal is so incredibly on point: "It's a boardgame. You are designer. Not director."

(admittedly this was from the prototype but still)

How bad is Robinson?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 26, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You're pulling random bad* events from a deck then go off exploring to discover random* island tiles, to get stuff* from them, build gear, or gather resources, or hunt. Hunt brings random* levels of hurt. Gathering, exploring, and building can be quickly half-arsed for a chance of really random poo poo happening, or done properly to guarantee success. Then you roll for weather that would make Napoleon miss Moscow. Then you eat bananas. Next morning, you check to see if you die from low morale*, which can be as deadly as not eating bananas.

*can be mitigated by something.

It's all about figuring out where you can't afford to gently caress up during a specific day. But there's one scenario everyone says is just bullshit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omobono posted:

From the link: "But if character gets wound and there are no consequences, getting wound will not be problem! I need players to be afraid of wounds!"

Having never played Robinson: the wounds ARE the consequence you *** idiot. The consequence of failure is failure. In a well designed game, the consequence is that you just wasted an action plus some other resource and the clock is ticking. At worst, make getting too much of them a direct loss condition, not a 'player's crippled' condition.

"Vlaada, c'mon! It's like in Die Hard movie! You know, Bruce Willis in torn shirt, lots of blood and fight till the very end. Bruce Willis never gives up. That is the feeling I want to have here in Robinson. I want you bleeding, suffering but still fighting for survive!"

Then make wounds INCREASE skills.
Also, really? Man, Vlaada's rebuttal is so incredibly on point: "It's a boardgame. You are designer. Not director."

(admittedly this was from the prototype but still)

How bad is Robinson?

From what I've heard on the board games thread on TG, it can be extremely unfun as a group if the game decides to just randomly gently caress you. As a solo game, idk, the flaws may be less of an issue as the frustration isn't multiplied by people at the table. Idk if access to mitigation is also random or not.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Check!
This is GOOD! :getin:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

As if they had a choice. Now, Orange could shift O3 without worry.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Orange closes the door behind GY, without an apparent plan.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A video summary of turns 11 to 22

And turn 23 as Grey goes :argh: at the sky above.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A predictable retreat. I hope Grey does something weird.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If it's not too much trouble, could you also start taking a picture with north facing toward the camera? With the sceptres now on opposite sides of the structure it's a little harder to intuit the positioning.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sure

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

WOIX∀

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The lost Q*bert levels are getting strange.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The tower is gone, I can see!

Both teams are building stairs.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

capture O6 you cowards

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This might be a pretty good move. Or, it could lead to death.

And a behind-the-wall supplement

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Grey is not dead yet, but everyone is working on it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Finally, some blood in the water!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This game continues to be throughly absurd and amusing. It's great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What scheme is Grey going to come up with next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can you note what was the move on each post, please? This might make easier to follow along...