Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

hi, just found this subforum. am a grantwriter in the US with six years experience, primarily write state + foundation proposals with very positive annual reviews and if i may say so, really good performance at an institution that is pretty unaffected or even helped by COVID, so good job security. plus i'm the only grantwriter they have managed to retain for more than a year in the past 5-6 years due to a 'difficult' CEO (aka a CEO with high standards who i actually like and connect with).

anyway, i think i'm a little underpaid- it's a $10m+ org with 100 employees, i make ~$50k/year with extremely bad insurance, my proposals raise $3-4m a year and i've been there 2.5 years. while i've gotten the standard COL 3% raise each year and decent bonuses (bonuses at a nonprofit are pretty incredible, i'll admit) i think people in my role in comparable positions in my area make around $60k/year. I like this org a lot but I have observed and experienced that the only way to get a substantial pay bump in my area is to transition orgs. I don't want to leave, though- this org feels meaningful, and, unlike every other nonprofit i've worked at, is very effective at its mission, and, as I mentioned, I think is a place to stick with long-term. if i don't go whole hog and ask for a raise, at the very least i would like complete flexibility to work remotely, because of a possible upcoming out-of-state move, and also gently caress going in and catching COVID.

currently HR has on the books a schedule for me that is 3 days at home, 2 days in office which I negotiated during most recent review. I don't think my boss actually gives a gently caress and is too busy to care about what I actually do, BUT i basically interact with nobody when i'm there, and nobody is around anyway, so it feels so pointless and soul-draining to sit in a small office for an arbitrary reason. it's also a bit stressful to think about how I'm stretching the 'rules' or whatever when I don't go in at all some weeks. (yes I am square.)

it's been a boon to my mental health to be able to work at home, i'm more productive, and my boss seemed rattled when she wrongly perceived that i was trying to leave the org based on misinterpreting a random question i'd had. so i definitely have motivation and leverage, and i know negotiation is a skill that needs to be honed (i'm pretty inexperienced at it though), but i feel there are some elements of this kind of situation that are unique to the nonprofit field. i wonder if gaining a sense of meaning from your work is what they counter with to an 'ask' like this, and i know that feeling a sense of meaning from one's work is in some senses a perk, but still, i deliver results, and i am an asset to the organization. plus the job market is insanely hot in our area. last, we're starting a huge multi-year campaign and it would be extremely poor timing to lose your grantwriter at this point.

ANYWAY, any ideas? when i mentioned wanting complete flexibility my boss said 'i'd have to think about that, there are a lot of considerations', which i get because i don't think any employee here has ever been fully remote. but i sense i'm going to have to continually bring it up and push for it if it were to ever happen. she's overextended and pulled in eight directions at once- i want to make this easy for her and a no-brainer for the org.

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

You mentioned your boss is kind of hard-to-please, but as a grant writer you really do have a very concrete list of success you can present in the form of grants obtained. If you're bringing roughly 40% of your entire organization's annual income, that's a lot of leverage. You could argue that the benefits of having a free WFH schedule will outway whatever benefits your boss things will come from you being arbitrarily forced into the office at certain times.

My leadership is very results oriented, and I have basically had carte blanche to work from home or office since I started. I personally like to go into the office most afternoons, but it's just cause my desk at home is lovely.

fortunately my observation that she is pulled in 8 directions constantly meant my proposal for 100% WFH was a non-issue, and they even needed my office, so it was a win-win.

what i'm realizing is frustrating me is that my performance is basically assessed on how much private philanthropy i bring in. those numbers always look good, which means i have quality annual reviews.

however, i play a lead role in generating and submitting most of our government contracts, and the financial tracking on that functions differently, and falls outside of our department. that's why i'd said i raise $3-4M a year- so on paper i raise $2M/year from philanthropy but i've probably pulled in $1-3M a year from contracts depending on the year. with a lot of federal money coming down the pipeline from ARPA this will not change and contracts might even become even more of a demand on my time.

we've had a gradual leadership transition at the top, and apparently they are going to be reevaluating SOPs across the org. i'm definitely going to bring up that the organization needs to handle contracts differently and that i am happy to take on more of a defined role- overall, generation and submission is a mess every time. as our org grows i think what was once the easy-out afterthought of 'dump contracts on the grantwriter' needs to be seriously rethought. and i should absolutely be compensated more for playing a major part in those submissions. they're not just a financial boon for the organization, the ability to speak about federal/state/county support lends more credibility to the organization

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m the finance director of a 501(c)(3) I have 7 direct reports with accounting and HR and I’m taking over our program tracking department / reporting department.

I’m actually trying to build out development since it doesn’t exist in this org, I would expect to pay an entry level grant writer out of school maybe 50-55k, and then for it to go up with experience.

Actually I don’t know what market you’re in but I have several pay surveys as I’m doing a compensation analysis right now.

i make 52k with 6.5 years of grantwriting experience in multiple fields, (workforce development, vocational post-secondary, out-of-school-time, healthcare) not sure if this is an asset or a liability, on the one hand i can adapt easily, on the other, i could see this coming across as a jack-of-all-trades situation

last, my job title has been grants coordinator or grants writer for my last four positions. it is getting a little stale, and while i could find better pay transitioning orgs, i'm wondering if this is the time to apply my experience and skills to a different type of position altogether. the only thing i know i absolutely do not want to do is deal with individual donors. beyond that i'm easy. i'm open to anything at this point