Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I just started working in a non profit and I'm not really sure if I like it so far. It seems very...micromanaging to me?

The other day I got an email to earn $35 if I attended a meeting to attend a product demonstration of a new nonprofit CRM. I wasn't going to attend because we have a contract with RE and honestly we're not going to switch anytime soon, but I figured why not. I had a call today to schedule the demo.

Then my coworker asked me what I was doing. I did tell her the truth, which I now regret and she told my boss. My boss is now upset at me because it was "unethical" for me to attend on the company's time to get myself a personal gift card.

What should I do in this situation? I'm going to apologize and say it was a misunderstanding. Should I bother to tell my boss we should be informed as a team about new CRMs even if we don't have the intention to switch from RE?

I just feel really annoyed because everyone in my office (four people including me) seem obsessed about how I appear to be using my time but they don't have any metrics about what I'm actually accomplishing or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

Pixelante posted:

It's not something I'd rat a coworker out for, but I agree that it's a bit unethical.

Could you tell me what is unethical about it? I feel like it is like when timeshares give away free Disney World tickets for a presentation. A lot of businesses do that. I feel a little bad for the person giving the presentation, but who knows, they otherwise might just be completely bored at work. Even if the product is aimed at non-profits I think someone working in b2b software sales is making way more than I do. That's the way I see it.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
Ok, I can see why my employer would be pissed. I don't see what my coworker gets out of it for telling on me. I feel like I'll be more careful with what I say from now on. I play Sudoku at work too - are people going to reach out to my employer and tell me how unethical I'm being?

By the way, the company that reached out to me isn't some fly by night CRM. I actually used them at a previous internship (with a way smaller organization), and it was fine. Definitely not as powerful as RE but a lot more user friendly and probably cheaper too.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I'm running into more issues at work.

The first is that my boss wants me to clear with her every time I watch a webinar at work. Is this normal? These are webinars mostly on fundraising. She says she wants to discuss the contents of the webinar with me but it doesn't seem like she has time in her schedule to do so.

The other is my coworker who isn't my supervisor said she wanted me to do some research on Friday. Today she asks me for a file so I went ahead and made a new document to paste what I had found down. However, she's now asking me why I only created the file this afternoon. Is this normal behavior? Am I supposed to respond to this?

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I'm having an issue where my boss seems to have unrealistic expectations about getting a product made for free.

My boss tasked me and my coworker with the project of bringing in teen volunteers into the organization. Since Covid, we hadn't had very many volunteers. We decided to partner with our organization's Boys and Girls Club. It turns out the guy in charge of the volunteering club there has some graphic design experience, so the project we decided on was creating a mural for one of our buildings. I was like, sure why not, it would be a fun project.

The idea was that the kids would design the mural and the teacher would help refine the final design. Last week, I saw the designs that the teachers had made. They weren't amazing, but he did the best he could to adapt the designs of what the students drew. They're younger teens, think 11-13.

Turns out, my boss didn't like any of the designs and it seems like she will want several more round of revisions before she will be happy. My problem is that her expectations are too high and that she is pressuring him to create something high quality for free, which isn't fair to him. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to spend hours working on this without any compensation.

I also feel like even if we are going to get a good design, there's going to be issues transferring into the wall. Neither my partner nor I working on this project have any painting experience, and the kids we are working with are quite young. My boss explicitly told me we need to have "high expectations" because "kids are talented' (her words) but I feel like her expectations are not realistic. We're not working with seniors in high school who have been taking art classes for several years, we're working with tweens from an after school program open to anyone.

Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
Oh, that makes sense. Is there any way I could bring any of my concerns up with my boss?