Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's funny, after 14 years on and off (mostly on, and full-time for the past 8) of development work, I am absolutely burned out on wealthy anybody. I usually don't even deal with them directly (and, for every nonprofit job I've had, I'm the only contact most "regular person" level donors have with the org), but I see people give us tens of thousands of dollars a year (or more) for decades and the exposure to all that wealth inequality is starting to get to me. Yes, I know it's better for us to have it (I really do believe in the cause) than for the rich fucks to keep it, but I'm being more and more bothered by the fact that they have it at all.

Why yes, it IS Gala season, how can you tell...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've been in this biz a long time, and lemme tell ya: nobody's fax-exempt. Fax machines ain't going nowhere, our cyborg bodies will still be picking up piles of paper off the floor every morning in the distant future

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ELTON JOHN posted:

gently caress YES. i we love to HELP PEOPLE

Sure sounds like management every time staff starts murmuring about unionizing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Well, for my own side, it's become a huge deal over the years with plans for messaging months in advance. And it's so omnipresent that anyone who supports more than one nonprofit will get dozens and dozens of emails and texts all day, which is downright obnoxious.

But, even more fundamentally, I don't like that we're all competing for the same dollar at the same time. Fundraising shouldn't be a Battle Royale with whoever has bigger ad budgets edging out smaller and regional orgs.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I can't really give you any advice about metrics without knowing what your role in the department (let alone organization) is, but I have been a Professional RE Toucher for a long-rear end time, and I can tell you to stay the hell away from any CRM that pulls poo poo like that.

CRMs are a huge deal, and migrating from one to another is a major investment of time and money. (Small disclaimer: I have only ever dome CRM work with orgs that have decades worth of data.) Don't feel too bad about getting hooked with something like this, though, especially if you're just starting out and have been largely cast adrift by your team. Messages like that are designed to catch people who don't have the institutional experience to know how stuff is valued. (And department heads/CEOs who don't actually have an interest in what happens under them, ask me how I know.) But targeting specific employees with stuff like that is super shady, these are decisions made at a department or organizational level.

Short answer is, unless you are specifically in charge of the CRM, no, it should absolutely not be your job to consider switching. Whenever a nonprofit wants to switch, they'll go shopping for alternatives based on the org's specific requirements - it will never happen based on a cold contact unless an org is very new (which is how most of these companies operate). If that's not the case for you, it's quite literally above your pay grade.

Don't say anything you're not comfortable with sharing, but can you give us some specifics about your job? Maybe we can give you a little better idea of how to present what you're working on as something tangible.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
If you're already using RE, you aren't going to migrate to anything that doesn't have an equivalent level of infrastructure and functionality. And whoever that is, they sure as hell aren't getting clients with $35 gift cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
We were looking at getting the Admin staff onto the local Office Workers Union, but the person organizing it finally couldn't take it any more and quit altogether. The rest of us don't have the energy or bandwidth to take over, all of which are... y'know... great signs... :smithicide: