Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I'm a computer toucher for an INGO and lead a global team of technicians. Travel for work since coronas has gone to zero but on the flip side migration projects of pushing everything from on-site to cloud and video conferencing has accelerated so I'm basically working from home all hours of the day for about 2/3 market rate and a shoestring budget. During normal times I love the autonomy and the culture is much more relaxed than private sector (there's no up-or-out pressure and any assholes that just want a do-gooder ticket on their CV tend to get weeded out quickly) and being a very mobile workforce with users in the field constantly we have managed to be ahead of the curve by issuing new starters with proper laptops instead of desktops or zero clients for the last 5 years.

I also second myself to Nethope from time to time who are a conglomerate of NGO partners and Tech firms pushing solutions to the sector and enable really fulfilling projects - probably my most useful two weeks on this earth were when we speed-installed 20 refugee camps with wifi during the European migration crisis. Also get the opportunity to join UN training sessions and play with fancy satellite tech that pure office worker sysadmins don't usually see so there is that side benefit compared to being a six figgie earner at an SP500 or ""stock"" holder in a startup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU