Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I work for an agency that helps people with disabilities plan for the future, and I volunteer as a board member for another agency that runs an art program for people with mental health challenges. :canada:

It's good, though I wish I had more hours/made more money. Working on my grant writing skills since that seems to be a highly employable skill in the sector, volunteering here and there. I was able to wrangle 16k for a very small mobile food bank group a few months ago and feel good about that. It's a drop in the bucket, but it does buy an awful lot of food for people who are struggling right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Lemon Trees posted:

My boss is now upset at me because it was "unethical" for me to attend on the company's time to get myself a personal gift card.

It's not something I'd rat a coworker out for, but I agree that it's a bit unethical.

Frustrating when you're stuck with hazy metrics for success, though. A lot of non-profits are so worried about value that they want to know their employees are all pulling their weight, but they get bogged down in the appearance of someone pulling their weight, more than the actual outcomes. But in my experience, for-profits are the same or worse. It's a toxic red-flag when employees are policing each other's appearance of productivity.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Lemon Trees posted:

Could you tell me what is unethical about it? I feel like it is like when timeshares give away free Disney World tickets for a presentation. A lot of businesses do that. I feel a little bad for the person giving the presentation, but who knows, they otherwise might just be completely bored at work. Even if the product is aimed at non-profits I think someone working in b2b software sales is making way more than I do. That's the way I see it.

Using work time to hustle extra money for yourself, especially when you have no reason to be investigating other CRMs is just kinda sketchy, imo. I don't really know how to explain it more than that if you can't see it. You're wasting work time on something both selfish and frivolous, with a bonus of encouraging some shark CRM company to keep targeting your agency.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Lemon Trees posted:

I'm running into more issues at work.

The first is that my boss wants me to clear with her every time I watch a webinar at work. Is this normal? These are webinars mostly on fundraising. She says she wants to discuss the contents of the webinar with me but it doesn't seem like she has time in her schedule to do so.

Depends on what you're meant to be doing during the day. Were you tasked to attend fundraising webinars? It sounds a bit like this is outside the scope of your role and they're trying to herd you back towards other responsibilities.

quote:

The other is my coworker who isn't my supervisor said she wanted me to do some research on Friday. Today she asks me for a file so I went ahead and made a new document to paste what I had found down. However, she's now asking me why I only created the file this afternoon. Is this normal behavior? Am I supposed to respond to this?

Even harder to say with this one, without a lot more context. They just wanted you to provide the research results sooner than today, I guess?