Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your favorite faction?
Die Mechaniker
Imperial Balkania
Khan Industries
Saharan Republic
Enclave of the Bear
View Results

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

grandalt posted:

*Blasts door to thread down*

Did someone mention my name? I'll would be pleased as punch to retake the direction of Imperial Balkania. I want in.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Ah, I had a good bit of fun last time leading the Imperium to its first taste of glory. Has it really been seven years...

May Balkania reign again!
My friends, thanks as ever for your service.

Put me in the balkania queue, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i have never heard of this Risk variant before and missed the original thread. this looks super rad!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Still looking for one new player to kick things off! Don't be shy and/or afraid of making terrible decisions! Especially not the latter one!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Still looking for one new player to kick things off! Don't be shy and/or afraid of making terrible decisions! Especially not the latter one!
Applied in the Discord, I'm willing to take whatever.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Alright, we've filled all the slots we need for the first game! The starting update will be coming soon as soon as the factions are handed out properly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The bears are hungry and they need to be fed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, I wasn't part of the last thread. Can someone fill me and those who aren't familiar with some of the juicy deets?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xelkelvos posted:

Btw, I wasn't part of the last thread. Can someone fill me and those who aren't familiar with some of the juicy deets?

Grandal named Europe after himself and all the balkanian players insisted on trying to hold it as it got turned into a bombed out husk for one.

It's kind of hard to share stories since the mystery packets we cant talk about are a big part of the game(s)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Grandal named Europe after himself and all the balkanian players insisted on trying to hold it as it got turned into a bombed out husk for one.

It's kind of hard to share stories since the mystery packets we cant talk about are a big part of the game(s)
All the mystery packets are fun to open.

But not all of them are fun to open by the person who's opening them.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

TL;DR the Balkanians settled in Europe and it was repeatedly set on fire.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Faction Powers Update

Each applicant has claimed a faction and determined what their faction power will be! In alphabetical order:

Played by Magus of Stars for WWI, who has chosen the power: Your starting HQ is always treated as Fortified when you defend it.

Played by Xelkevos for WWI, who has chosen the power: The defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die in the first territory you attack during your turn.

Played by NGDBSS for WWI, who has chosen the power: You still draw a resource card at the end of a turn where you expanded into 4+ territories, even if you didn't conquer a territory.

Played by Gnoman for WWI, who has chosen the power: At the start of your turn, place one troop in each territory that has an HQ you control.

Played by Double May Care for WWI, who has chosen the power: When making your maneuver, you may maneuver between any two territories you control, even if they are not connected.

Oh hey, where did those stickers come from?

Why the Faction Power cards of course! See one for yourself:

Of course, since a faction power has been picked, those cards are...no longer in play.

Warning: the following image has been deemed to be unsuitable for view by boardgame preservers due to horrific imagery. Viewer discretion is advised.

What has been done cannot be undone...

Welcome to Risk Legacy.

WWI will be starting in the next day or two.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 15, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:unsmigghh:

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Hahahaha it begins.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So instead of bear cavalry with genetically enhanced people, I'm thinking genetically enhanced, uplifted bears?

Edit: what about Were-bears? gently caress, that's also a fun angle. Or maybe bear-human hybrids? Such a hard choice.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 15, 2020

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
There is something viscerally satisfying about tearing up things in the Legacy games.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

There is something viscerally satisfying about tearing up things in the Legacy games.

My Board Gamer brain refuses to accept this.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
There is a reason why we went with many, many pieces of sticky notes and photos. Some members of my old group didn't like the idea of tearing things up at all, but it can work out fine.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Good morning frequency flyers, and welcome back to Radio Republic here in beautiful Undisclosed! War's a-brewin' and DJ DesertPunk got the news for you roving rumble-junkers. There's movement all over this newly-minted globe and we've got the hot scoops to scoot your boots, so keep it dialed! What's our motto, distinguished listeners? New World! New Order! Right on, fight on, drive on home. Enjoy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

From the desk of Empress-General Pernille Blix posted:

Let us give this messiah what he asks, so that all may see the generosity of Balkania. May it not be said that all great movements require a few martyrs?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 16, 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Uh basically the broad gimmicks of each faction in the first thread were:

Balkania: The british empire. Sometimes led by the Emperor, sometimes led by a general, once headed by a shadowy inquisition, but always the british empire. Basically always claimed Europe and, up until world war 6, never lost it. Suprisingly never became the imperium of man which was good, we weren't monsters. Won world wars 2, 3.

Saharans: Went through a lot of gimmicks. Started with Dune, then direct thread democracy, then puppet of the six generals, then actually gordon freeman, then a mad max 2 parody, then the remnants of the last winning empire, then power mad alladeen. Finally won during world war 7.

Bears: Goons were able to think of a lot to do with the enclave. Acquired koalas in world war 2, a secret [s]tiger[/b] bear cult in world war 4, the power of the bear spirits in world war 5, hallucinagenic moss and bear hugs in 6, then they became vikings. Won world wars 4, 5 and 6 - thus showing the thread what happens when all you have is a hammer.

Khan: Oh wow these guys also went through a lot of gimmicks. Evil businessman, then smuggler postman, then uh the reincarnation of william hearst, then the producer of a reality show called late night wars, then the owner of a company town, then a voodoo priest importing tourists from earth 1 to fight to claim the world as a tourism hotspot, then i really have no idea what colon V's gimmick was possibly a grizzled general. So yeah, Khan Industries was a land of contrasts. Won world war 1, then succumbed to the power of too many gimmicks.

Robots: Always robot themed. First two were just different programs of the master AI, then the master AI's lead mechanic, then The Programmer, then a combination of Gendo Ikari and glados, then for some reason Yuri from red Alert 2, then a computer powered by the mushed up personalities of all of earth's greatest leaders. Robots never won, don't play as the robots.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I think the best way to sum up Die Mech's shtick in the last thread was "supervillainy."

I mean, look at that card art. If that isn't a magnet for any would-be supervillain, I don't know what is :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

*lots of unintelligible growling noises* A device in the armor blinks and speaker activates

quote:

Foul humans. I am Nanook One-Mike-Hotel. Current leader of the Enclave of the Bears. Thank you for creating ancestors, breeding them to peak power, and granting too much intelligence and sense so to free themselves from cages and tests consumerate with creation. You also has ravaged world and made into wasteland. The time of Homo Sapiens is over. The time of Ursa Sapiens is now.

OOC: while bioengineered human riding bears is sorta cool, uplifted bears seems much more amusing as a whole with much more potential

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 16, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He's right.

I know who I'm cheering for.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I dunno, the Empress-General is kinda cute.

Something tells me that actually saying that in Balkania is not the wisest thing, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dr. Snark posted:

TL;DR the Balkanians settled in Europe and it was repeatedly set on fire.

I mean, this is still Risk, that shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Xelkelvos posted:

My Board Gamer brain refuses to accept this.

I have literally set parts of this game on fire.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Journal found in an empty hut in Brazil posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Such a simple phrase to cause chaos.

I was a communications worker in the main Die Mechaniker factory, one of the few humans among the robots. Not a great job, just being a friendly face at the door to chat with anybody who stopped by, but hey, it was a living. The robots were always a little odd, but treated us decently, food was plentiful, endless time to read. Until the day one of the robots inquired why I didn't understand the workings of the factory. I've never been great with science, but I've read my Clarke, so I made that old joke about technology and magic.

Things changed the next day. Robots wearing strange robes. Oddly repetitive questions about my blood type. Construction of large turrets and fortifications. Vague announcements requiring all humans to meet with the "Council of Wizards". Did my off-hand joke somehow push the robots off-balance? I wasn't sticking around to find out; I fled at once.

That was a month ago. Since then, I've hidden myself away among the tiny human villages outside the factory walls. Entire villages have been disappearing. Strange rumors about the Die Mech factory are swirling - human sacrifices, preparation for war, some sort of holy mission of conquest. I can't confirm any of these reports, but it's insane, it's all insane. Killer robot blood mages don't exist! They don't!

...Right?

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 15, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

*lots of unintelligible growling noises* A device in the armor blinks and speaker activates

OOC: while bioengineered human riding bears is sorta cool, uplifted bears seems much more amusing as a whole with much more potential

I think this is the backstory to Beastars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Namtab posted:

then i really have no idea what colon V's gimmick
That's because I didn't need a goddamn gimmick!

Howdy, I'm the artist formerly known as Colon V.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love this.

I guess that's what the Install Wizard icon does.

Honestly all of these are off to a strong start on gimmick themes!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry bears, Accidentally Robot Wizards are way too good to now root for.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Unfortunately as the OG emperor I am obligated to root for balkania particularly if they conquer europe.

PMush Perfect posted:

That's because I didn't need a goddamn gimmick!

Howdy, I'm the artist formerly known as Colon V.

Howdy!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was Colon V, then The Leper Colon V because pun. Then Poison Mushroom, and now PMush Perfect because pun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
as a fan of puns, that is an excellent username evolution

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Technowolf posted:

I think this is the backstory to Beastars.

Well drat, I guess I've got my rooting interest sorted.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have literally set parts of this game on fire.

I set all of Seafall on fire after our group finished that. But that’s a separate issue.

Also, if there’s a queue for future rounds please put me in it. If not, I’ll be watching this thread trying to devise a dumb enough gimmick to earn a place!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

I set all of Seafall on fire after our group finished that. But that’s a separate issue.

Also, if there’s a queue for future rounds please put me in it. If not, I’ll be watching this thread trying to devise a dumb enough gimmick to earn a place!

The most honorable demise for Seafall is a pyre at sea.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
This will be a lot of fun, magic robot overlords. :dance:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The most honorable demise for Seafall is a pyre at sea.
Was Seafall the one that tried to be Legacy Sid Meyer’s Pirates and just turned out to be Legacy Bad? I’ve only heard about it second hand.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

PMush Perfect posted:

Was Seafall the one that tried to be Legacy Sid Meyer’s Pirates and just turned out to be Legacy Bad? I’ve only heard about it second hand.

Yes it is. It has fiendishly over-complicated rules for a few certain things that don’t jive in any way with the other systems, victory point rewards are wildly uneven between action types meaning that swathes of rules aren’t worth learning anyway once you realize there’s only one way to viably win. And then that one way is extremely random, so you do it and then the game either hands you a bunch of points or kicks you in the balls. Also, unlike this game the same faction stays with a player so win rewards tend to spiral.

It does however have a ton of things to name, so if you want to make your friends fight over who gets to hire the wind wizard Fartknocker so that they can sail all the way to Buttsylvania in a single turn, it does have that. Which makes it kinda fun as a dumb drink and play thing, if only the rules were simpler.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I was Colon V, then The Leper Colon V because pun. Then Poison Mushroom, and now PMush Perfect because pun.

I was namtab, I remain namtab. Sometimes people read it backwards and discover the secret.