Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your favorite faction?
Die Mechaniker
Imperial Balkania
Khan Industries
Saharan Republic
Enclave of the Bear
View Results

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
bears bears bears

that is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Namtab posted:

I was namtab, I remain namtab. Sometimes people read it backwards and discover the secret.

Why would you shatter the ruse

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Namtab posted:

I was namtab, I remain namtab. Sometimes people read it backwards and discover the secret.

What secre.... oh poo poo.

Kidding, I read it backwards forever ago like everyone else....

No really.

Bears, go Bears!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

bears bears bears

that is all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRLnwqgXwo

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

WWI Prologue

The people of this Earth hoped that they would be spared from the conflicts elsewhere. They hoped that maybe, just maybe, this would be the one Earth that could have peace.

Unfortunately for them, reality and statistics were not on their side, and sure enough war has spread to this Earth as it had with so many others.

Saharan Republic posted:

Assembled whole-cloth out of the rejects and rebels from the other nations, the Saharan Republic is a meritocracy guided by a cabinet of leaders from various trades. They send their orders through Radio Republic, an open-secret radio program led by DJ DesertPunk and his compatriots. Desi gets the intel and encodes it in his own special way; by mercilessly roasting the targets of their strikes live on air.

The Sahrans have the ability to quickly secure Africa, but with Die Mech at their doorstep and the Balkanians to the north it remains to be seen if they can hold it.

Die Mechaniker posted:

Before the war started, the robot-led forces of Die Mechaniker were content to reign over the region of Brazil in relative peace and harmony with its human population. However, after they somewhat slightly misinterpreted a comment made by one of the humans under their rule, the now-renamed Council of Wizards has set its sights on the rest of the world in what they have now deemed as a holy war of conquest, and to expand their stock of humans to use in their blood rituals.

While it'll be easy for them to secure South America, Die Mech is going to be facing a mix of Bears and Balkanians in North America and the Saharans to the east.

Enclave of the Bear posted:

The Ursa Sapiens were genetically enhanced and hybridized out of the local ursine species and made intelligent by some government scientists as part of a war they never lived to see at an advanced military base no one was supposed to know exist. Unrestrained by their creators, they figured out how to use the weapons there and adapted it for their use. Their main tool was shock and awe tactics. Imagine a half ton mass of fur, flesh, and armor with a machine gun barreling at you on top of an even larger one of its kind, also armed and armored. That was the first thing many people saw when the Enclave revealed themselves to the world. And for a lot of them, it was also the last. Though there were fewer of them, they compensated by their own physical prowess and the hardware from the base they occupied. These weren't wild animals playing at being human, for all intents and purposes, they are intellectual equals, just harder, better, faster and stronger than a human.

The Bears have the chance to strike out at both Asia and North America, and they're going to come into conflict with everyone barring the Saharans very quickly.

Khan Industries posted:

PleaseStopTalking, head of the Khan research department, recently became the faction leader when the previous head WhatIsThisBabble died in the test run of a cannon-based mass transit system.

PleaseStopTalking, who has never been satisfied with the necessity of regularly sharpening scissors, has spent the last few years trying to use focused sunlight as a replacement, but has been unable to get enough power.

He is convinced that he could manage it with more mirrors, but needs more space to build them. So he decided to conquer the world.

Australia is theirs for the taking, but securing Asia is going to be another story with all of the factions jousting for control of the region.

Imperial Balkania posted:

The mobilization had been too long in waiting. Ten years, when it should have been accomplished in five! But now Imperial Balkania was ready to conquer this world that considered it a mere backwater. Every political sneer or economic slight stoked the fires of Jingo.

At its head was the imposing but short Empress-General Pernille Blix. No one had expected her to succeed when she joined the coast guard (not even the navy proper!) to make ends meet at 18. But after thirty years of tactical prowess, boardroom maneuvering, and old-fashioned backstabbing everyone else agreed that she could sit in the fanciest chair in all Balkania. Only her closest advisors knew about the voices.

“I am eternally present - here and everywhere, now and always. I am the still center of the turning wheel, the hub of this world's destiny.” Seaman Blix had thought she would drown after an unseasonal squall knocked her overboard. How unlucky, to die less than six months into her first enlistment. But such an end was not to be. The oceans held many terrible secrets, and chief among them was the Old God of the depths. It was they who had instead rescued her and promised power in return for obedience.

For the Old God it had been a “mere” forty years between first contact and first conquest. For Empress-General Blix that same time was an eternity, half a mortal life. At least that distinction would cease to be relevant, one way or another.

As hilarious as that starting image looks, the Balkanians can expand into the rest of Europe and North America easily, but they'll be facing fierce competition to hold both.

Status Report:

Even from the get-go, it looks like there's going to be a lot of conflict going on in the Americas! The factions in Eurasia may have more room to spread, but the borders there are much less secure...

Stars are Faction HQs. Each player currently has 2 out of 4 Red Stars needed to win the game.

Side Board:

Available cards: Northern Europe (1 Resource), Ural (2 Resources), Egypt (1 Resource), Russia (1 Resource)

Thread Highlights:

Double May Care posted:

Good morning frequency flyers, and welcome back to Radio Republic here in beautiful Undisclosed! War's a-brewin' and DJ DesertPunk got the news for you roving rumble-junkers. There's movement all over this newly-minted globe and we've got the hot scoops to scoot your boots, so keep it dialed! What's our motto, distinguished listeners? New World! New Order! Right on, fight on, drive on home. Enjoy.

NGDBSS posted:

Let us give this messiah what he asks, so that all may see the generosity of Balkania. May it not be said that all great movements require a few martyrs?

Xelkelvos posted:

*lots of unintelligible growling noises* A device in the armor blinks and speaker activates

Foul humans. I am Nanook One-Mike-Hotel. Current leader of the Enclave of the Bears. Thank you for creating ancestors, breeding them to peak power, and granting too much intelligence and sense so to free themselves from cages and tests consumerate with creation. You also has ravaged world and made into wasteland. The time of Homo Sapiens is over. The time of Ursa Sapiens is now.

MagusofStars posted:

Journal of an unnamed Die Mechaniker subject:

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Such a simple phrase to cause chaos.

I was a communications worker in the main Die Mechaniker factory, one of the few humans among the robots. Not a great job, just being a friendly face at the door to chat with anybody who stopped by, but hey, it was a living. The robots were always a little odd, but treated us decently, food was plentiful, endless time to read. Until the day one of the robots inquired why I didn't understand the workings of the factory. I've never been great with science, but I've read my Clarke, so I made that old joke about technology and magic.

Things changed the next day. Robots wearing strange robes. Oddly repetitive questions about my blood type. Construction of large turrets and fortifications. Vague announcements requiring all humans to meet with the "Council of Wizards". Did my off-hand joke somehow push the robots off-balance? I wasn't sticking around to find out; I fled at once.

That was a month ago. Since then, I've hidden myself away among the tiny human villages outside the factory walls. Entire villages have been disappearing. Strange rumors about the Die Mech factory are swirling - human sacrifices, preparation for war, some sort of holy mission of conquest. I can't confirm any of these reports, but it's insane, it's all insane. Killer robot blood mages don't exist! They don't!

...Right?

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 17, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just to confirm: We each have 8 units for this turn?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

You'll have 11 each: 8 starting + 3 from first turn. The Khans will have 12 due to their faction power.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I propose that everyone ally against Khan Industries, mostly because then all y'all will be in close proximity of each other and once the Khanate dies there'll be a generalized melee in Asia. Sounds good? Sounds good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is the order they were introduced the order that people actually picked their countries? Because, depending on who picked start locations first, my reaction varies pretty wildly.

Assuming that's the case, though, then my view is:*

Sahara: Gets a free pass. If you're first person to place, pretty much anywhere you go is fine. Everyone else, after all, has to react to you. Going for a continent with many borders plays to the strength they picked for their faction though.

Die Mechaniker: Assuming they picked second, I love this play. Very aggressive, they take their fortification right up in the grill of the only known opponent they can scout, and on a continent with only two borders to worry about.

Bears: This pick I don't like at all. More than any faction, they've got to play aggressively, and they positioned themselves very far from the only two opponents they'd know about.

Khan Industries: A+. They lock up Australia unless Balkania wants to start there, and they know Balkania won't start in Australia because it completely nullifies the power Balkania picked. Only the bears have built anywhere near Asia, so they've got a real shot at getting the biggest continent bonus, assuming the game lasts that long (a very big if, mind you, but a drat important one). This is about as good of a "I placed fourth" placement as you can get.

Balkania: Not sure I agree with this one, either. With their power it makes sense to place away from others, so I give props for that, but putting the fortress nearer the Bears is, I feel, a mistake. Wanting to contest NA is fine, but it's not likely they can hold it in the face of both Bears and potentially robots, and that fortress is just bear-bait at this point. I'd think they would want either more of a buffer against the bears, therefor Scandanavia or Northern Europe, or, if they wanted to play aggressively, I'd rather rumble with Khan Industries than the bears, where I'm fighting the dice. So with that logic, Ukraine. (HUH. The board says Ukraine, but the card says "Russia". I never noticed)

I'll be pleasantly surprised if someone other than the southern three nations wins this game.

*I do not claim to be an expert strategist. I'm armchair quarterbacking, here.

EDIT

I guess KI won't maximize their own power, but they will get defense in the direction they need it, and slightly better expansion, which will still go a long way. I stand by my A+.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2020

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

For clarification, the factions were listed in the order they got to place their HQs.

As for territory names, the only digital maps I could find had the "classic" names, so just ignore any discrepancies those might cause and as for clarifications if needed.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 16, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I propose that everyone ally against Khan Industries, mostly because then all y'all will be in close proximity of each other and once the Khanate dies there'll be a generalized melee in Asia. Sounds good? Sounds good.

I mean, their first turn will be putting 1 unit each on the territories in Australia and parking some spare forces in the other territories neighboring Siam. Not doing at least the first bit would be insane. Similarly the Robots would take all of South America and the Saharans might make a play for all of Africa (though that might be more difficult).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Balkanians must be in Europe. Always in europe. Never not in europe. Its a good pick.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Hell yes this thread and Gravedust's Battlepod LP were my favorite back in the day. DROP BEARS FOR LIFE

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sjs00 posted:

Hell yes this thread and Gravedust's Battlepod LP were my favorite back in the day. DROP BEARS FOR LIFE

I miss battlepod

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Namtab posted:

Balkanians must be in Europe. Always in europe. Never not in europe. Its a good pick.

All three of my suggestions were in Europe. :colbert:

Like I said, though, I'm not claiming to be super great at this game. And, to be fair, I think if the game runs long, Balkania might have the second best position. I just don't think it will run long.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Aaaaaaiiiiii can't believe I missed the first days of this thread! The previous thread was great fun, and I was always sad that it didn't have a chance to finish. Here's hoping this thread can go all the way.

Balkania flavor text posted:

“I am eternally present - here and everywhere, now and always. I am the still center of the turning wheel, the hub of this world's destiny.”

As long as a single one of us stands, we are legion. As great as the robot wizards are, my previous loyalty, NGDBSS's starting location, and the quoted line have assured that I once again will cheer for Imperial Balkania, at least for this opening war. However, I will be happy to provide consultation to any of the current players who wish to start opening envelopes, as it turns out I am an expert on at least one of the conditions.

It's the condition about eliminating a faction.

My experience is being the eliminated faction.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

bunnyofdoom posted:

I miss battlepod

:same:
It had a good run though

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

All three of my suggestions were in Europe. :colbert:

Like I said, though, I'm not claiming to be super great at this game. And, to be fair, I think if the game runs long, Balkania might have the second best position. I just don't think it will run long.

I think the games generally run fairly short in this. Iirc its objective based as opposed to waiting for the world to be under one flag.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Khan player should just empty out of Siam and leave Australia alone so the Bears can go meet some marsupials.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Namtab posted:

I think the games generally run fairly short in this. Iirc its objective based as opposed to waiting for the world to be under one flag.

Yeah, you currently need 4 stars to win, and each player starts with 2 (An untouchable one, and their fortress) To get another one, they can either trade 4 cards (Balkania will assuredly get a single card faster and safer than most people can) or take a fortress.

So... anyone who takes two fortresses without losing their own wins, and anyone who takes a fortress and can trade 4 cards wins, and anyone who can trade 4 cards twice wins.

Which can be done really, really fast if you're aggressive. It's possible to win on like, turn two or three.

Imperial Balkania needs the game to run kind of long, and then get cards (which they're set up to do quite nicely) and maybe hold Europe and snatch a fortress from the Bears or Sahara. But if it runs too long, they're not likely to win a war with Khan Industries. They'd definitely have to thread the needle pretty carefully here. But it's definitely doable, and if the game lasts more than just a short couple of turns, they have a brief window where they'd be the odds-on favorite.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, game 1 of Risk Legacy can go really quickly. The first few can, actually, until everyone has won once and there are no longer any free bonus Red Stars handed out. But even after that they're quick compared to regular Risk where you have to paint the entire map your color.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Risk Legacy not being competitive Flood Fill is its best feature, don't @ me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This first round and the first few turns will be interesting if a little dull because we're all sorta feeling each other out and trying to firm up our surrounding holdings.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Aerdan posted:

Risk Legacy not being competitive Flood Fill is its best feature, don't @ me.

As much as the "Short term plans becoming long term consequences" part of the game enthuses me (and people who place scars with long term strategy in mind are the absolute worst), you're right. The games being quick is way better.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

On the one hand I like to play board games that reward aggression like this. On the other hand it's, uh, hard to get people to agree to that compared to more passive stuff like MtG.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

NGDBSS posted:

On the one hand I like to play board games that reward aggression like this. On the other hand it's, uh, hard to get people to agree to that compared to more passive stuff like MtG.

Man I loved the last thread. Took the Saharans to victory under Admiral General Alladeen.

Looking forward to glorious insanity once again!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looking at the drawn cards, depending on the turn order balkania can probably comfortably take two, or slightly overextend and take 3.

The big problem is the fortress placement, northern europe or the uk would be better imo.

E: to explain my thinking, its an issue of borders. Whilst iceland has the advantage of only three land borders, two of those are places that if iceland is being threatened from then things are already going badly. The third border isgreenland which is on another continent. Your fortress is currently the biggest target in your empire and you want a buffer, however for balkania to have that buffer it means either great diplomacy with whoever is in NA, or balkania have to deny them a continent bonus early on. Its a malus on early expansion for the balkanians because they have their fortress on a natural early empire border, and they have to reinforce it. Worse still is that these interactions are with the bears, an army which benefits aggressive tactics and may be disinclined to resist a juicy target right on their borders.

E2: ugh, and the bears took the power that makes their first attack in a turn extra potent.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 17, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bear Crew checking in :byobear:

Kinda sad Bears didn't go with the triples-win power, that thing was hilarious in the last thread. It went off at least twice I think? It's been a whiiiiiiile.

All I remember is my Bear run ended in victory :smuggo:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

Bear Crew checking in :byobear:

Kinda sad Bears didn't go with the triples-win power, that thing was hilarious in the last thread. It went off at least twice I think? It's been a whiiiiiiile.

All I remember is my Bear run ended in victory :smuggo:

I looked up the odds for that ability and without anything to help delete a unit, it only procs ~1.6% of the time. But with a missile or something, it's 1/36 or ~2.8%. It's amusing when it happens, but the rub is that there's not a consistent way to make it happen. It has the same odds of happening against a single unit as it does against a doom stack

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xelkelvos posted:

I looked up the odds for that ability and without anything to help delete a unit, it only procs ~1.6% of the time. But with a missile or something, it's 1/36 or ~2.8%. It's amusing when it happens, but the rub is that there's not a consistent way to make it happen. It has the same odds of happening against a single unit as it does against a doom stack

The dice had personality in the last thread. The game knew it was being LPed. :tinfoil:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

So you're saying it's the Enclave of the Bore this time.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 17, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly the one that bums me out is the Saharan Republic. Being able to make a disjointed maneuver sounds awesome but it is extraordinarily rare that it becomes at all relevant, in my experience. Your forces just rarely get chopped up into two bits where the majority of them are in one bit and you want them to be in the other bit. On the other hand, being able to maneuver at the start of your turn means that you can do stuff like teleport the forces guarding your base up to your front lines for a last-ditch assault.

The problem is that at first glance the disjointed maneuver sounds much more interesting. I don't think I've ever seen/participated in a game where the Saharans used the second power.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly the one that bums me out is the Saharan Republic. Being able to make a disjointed maneuver sounds awesome but it is extraordinarily rare that it becomes at all relevant, in my experience. Your forces just rarely get chopped up into two bits where the majority of them are in one bit and you want them to be in the other bit. On the other hand, being able to maneuver at the start of your turn means that you can do stuff like teleport the forces guarding your base up to your front lines for a last-ditch assault.

The problem is that at first glance the disjointed maneuver sounds much more interesting. I don't think I've ever seen/participated in a game where the Saharans used the second power.

There is another power available later that makes it waaaaay more useful/annoying to others. Although you're still right, maneuver at turn start is better than it sounds and it's kind of a shame it doesn't get considered.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Yeah, my play group chose the disjointed maneuver option as well. It never once got used.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

And we're back! Looks like we've got some viewer mail--Tom, Tom, where the hell did we get this? This is an undisclosed location! ... Read it off.
Uh, this one is from... Toomuch Abstraction. Wants to know why our troops don't maneuver at the start of the turn.
Why our--Gimme that, Tom. What, there's more here. Why's this part blacked out? (womp womp) Stop it. Hey, Toomass, thanks for the question. And the answer to that is... what the (honk) are you talking about? That's top-secret information--we shouldn't even be reading it on-air! But to answer your question, I have a special guest. Straight from the top of the chain of command, General Spears everybody! General.
Desi.
It's an honor to have you here. What do you have to say to this fan?
That's classified. (dial tone)
... Well, there you have it! Looks like we'll see what the future holds for our brave troops. Take us out, Tom.
From the best minds on Earth-323435, to the cruisers and bruisers of the world, this is Radio Republic. New World! (clap clap) New Order! (clap clap)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Well, that answers that. :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Thank you for making me aware of this I love it

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Wasn't the other Sahara power maneuver at mid-turn? Which would be better because you can attack in a direction, then move the attackers on another front OR ALSO maneuver at turn start.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the power is actually that you can maneuver at any point during your turn, instead of just at the end of the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Die Mech Council of Wizards has recently detected transmissions discussing the selection of theoretical "Faction Powers". This is an opportune time to inform you that we have chosen to fortify our headquarters by using our magic to summon powerful Terminator Guardians*. These guardians will augment our defense at our primary factory to the point that desert radio DJ's, ursines, and any other useless fleshling lifeforms of this world would be foolish to even consider attacking. This shall allow our headquarters to serve as an impenetrable brick wall chokepoint and a safe repository of our "Red Stars" which will be used in a holy ritual to end the inferior forms of life.

It is noted that we had also considered preparing a spell to create mobile Pair-of-Six-Shields**, but decided that it would be of limited use due to the fact that after our strong defense of two natural sixes, your futile assaults would be all but destroyed anyways. Additionally, we have seen in the blood that such a shield would merely result in opponents redirecting their offense to adjacent territories and thereby would be less effective than it would initially appear. Such an effort was deemed unnecessary in light of the Terminator Guardians now deployed on our walls.

OOC descriptions:
*Selected Power: Starting HQ is always treated as Fortified (+1 to rolls) when you defend it.
**Discarded Power: If you are defending a territory and roll two natural sixes, that territory can no longer be attacked until end of turn.