Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Friends don't let friends race PHRF. *cackles in shark24*

I've been racing sharks for... 8 years? now. It was my first introduction to sailing, and I've had the bug ever since. Last summer, while in the middle of looking for a house, a somewhat neglected but sailable shark 24 became available at our club, mostly intact, including a solid trailer and working motor, for $1800. We bought it. Included trashed sails, a whisker pole from some unknown boat jury rigged to work as a spin pole (lol nope not a loving chance), a questionable but functional traveler, a small amount of blocks (why... why... WHY WERE YOU RUNNING THE 180 ON THE TOE RAIL THOSE ARE THE SPINNAKER BLOCKS aSDFLK:ASJDFAS), and a hole drilled just aft of the keel (the boat sat for 2 years uncovered and leaked like a sieve, and was never bailed. The PO drilled a hole to drain it and prevent water from collecting while they worked on making it dry. They successfully sealed all the leaks, which on a shark is craziness, and then proceeded to fix the hole by putting a bolt through it with washers on both sides and half assed slapping some fairing compound over the bolt head. It doesn't leak, so in true shark fashion, that's how it remains.) Overall it's a solid boat, sharks are difficult to kill. There was some rot in one of the bulkheads, but that was (shoddily, but workably) repaired prior to us buying it.

I've got a list a mile long of things to adjust / fix / etc, but honestly it's perfectly fine to race as it is. I'm told, from a previouspreviouspreviousprevious owner, that it's a fast boat. Considering the previous owner runs Kingston Sail Loft, and has won the shark worlds (not on this boat), we're going to throw it in the water next summer and see what happens. We tried to get him to tell us how much corrector weight it needed to carry, as the earlier boats are known to be extra light, and he smiled and said somewhere north of 100lbs. On a boat with a bare boat weight of 2200lbs, that's uhhhhhhhhh fun. We're going to see how it handles before tacking bigger projects, but I'm excited about this being a project as well as something we can race. Sailing's the best.

Also, sharks are hilarious. 30+kn breeze, gusts over 45 on the last downwind leg, and we decided it was better to not put the chute up after watching the 4 boats ahead of us blow them out. Instead, we went on just the main and managed 14knts peak 12.5knts avg boatspeed surfing the waves. A sharks hull speed is somewhere around 6knts.

We've named the boat almost adequate. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I like it being here in AI, but that's just me. Don't really want to just sail away, maybe we could knot move?? :v: