Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Borne out of the general boat thread.

Sailboat racing is more fun, scary, expensive and stupid than racing cars. Its equal parts redneck & idiotic as dainty and hgh-class in my experience.

I've been racing for about 10 years, mostly on J24s, Flying Tiger 10s and Wavelength24s. Lately I've had the pleasure of crusing around around on a C&C99.

Lets talk about making bad fiberglass repairs and beating 5 knot poo poo boxes over the line on corrected time.

Cheers folks. Mount Gay.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
VELA is awesome and I need to do more dinghy sailing.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I think my favorite is having a J24 win/lee of a Melges. Even the bravest of those skippers know that isn't a fight they're gonna win haha

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The Feds announced today we're not allowed to hold any offical events on Lake Lanier through the end of the month.

Glad to see some traction in here!

Heres the raceboat J the day we packed her up to head south out of Charleston pre quarantine.

Popete posted:

The key to enjoy racing is to crew on someone else's boat.

also very true. I successfully do not own a boat...yet. A J88 is available around here....

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 14, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MomJeans420 posted:

Do any of you crew on the big boats that race? I met some people in Newport, RI that do the whole "different races around the globe thing," but the owner was saying the crew during races were paid ~$3k/day, plus you have to put them up and feed them. It seemed like a pretty small community where everyone knew each other, and it sounded like a shitload of fun, especially if you were on the younger side.

I'm not into boating at all but I also found the sail crew vs powered yacht crew divide interesting. One of the sailing crew members explained it to me as no matter what your job is on a sail boat, you still have to have sailing skills and know a fair amount, whereas if you're cleaning the rooms on Spielberg's yacht, that's all you know how to do. I don't think I could do a sail boat full time though, I'm tall and even on a huge sail boat I basically just walked hunched over all the time for fear of hitting my head on something.

The biggest program I've ever been involved with in any sort of regular fashion is a Tiger10 or a 1D35. Anything bigger than that and you might as well be doing a TransPAC or TransAT ha.

Even if you're not a Pro, the trick is to get on one of the programs where the skipper puts you up and buys your booze, dinner and gas/plane ticket ;) I can say, especially in the southeast, the community of folks that are very good and do a lot of regattas can be insular, but in general, are an accepting bunch so long as you're not a dick. I've only been to a limited number of regattas in the more 'traditional' sailing areas, (think San Diego, the NE, Great Lakes) so I can't really comment if that's a regional thing or not.

I think, in general, your second paragraph is mosty right--if you're 'good' at all, you can do it all, i.e., so you can be trusted to stand watch on longer trips and be useful in an emergency if you're on deck. Power boaters (in general) can't be trusted to know the rules of the road, if you value your safety.

Big Taint posted:

The Shark is a good looking boat. I think in most boats >30kts sustained is 'no kite' territory.

Our boat actually came with a 'heavy kite' for poo poo like that, it's like 2oz cloth. The sailmaker called it a 'rig killer' because if you stuff the boat into a wave or catch a huge gust the kite will stay together and pull the whole rig down with it. To run a kite in any kind of breeze on the SC I need minimum 8 good crew, and I just don't have that many friends. So I want to scrap most of the kites except maybe the big runners for light air and switch to asymmetricals. Which means I need to build a sprit...

The spin poles on the SC are 20' long, and we carry two. However, being carbon fiber I can hold them with one hand.

Hell yes. We have a 4oz kite for the Wavelength. Let god take it down, eh?

Proliferation of carbon poles have been the biggest change/improvement since I've been racing.

I helped a buddy put a sprit on his Soverel 33 and it turned that thing back into the 80s rocket ship it was supposed to be. Would routinely beat up on the Tiger10 in PHRF.

Oh yeah, edit: we took the wavelength out with that kite, boned the rig up 3 steps and hit 12.2 with ~900 lbs of crew weight in 22true last Wednesday. I was trimming the Vang from the cockpit floor forward of the traveler. We decided to not pitch pole the poor thing at that juncture.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 14, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
You in San Diego, Hadlock, if you care to disclose?

I'm in Atlanta and typically do 10~ weekends a year in Charleston + Raceweek and whatever of the spring J circuit we can string together in Florida. The rest is Lake Lanier.

Hadlock posted:

had their own 5 boat J/125 class

Kick. rear end.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Bummed I missed the PACCup start, completely forgot about it.

The two regattas I had left this year, Meigs in St. Pete and Charleston Open are now officially shut down, again. I do get to crawl in a lazarette of a CC99 to yank speaker wire in preparation for the 4th in a bit, though!

The J24 is also in need of serious deckwork and the skipper and I have material on order to do it. Not that I want to....

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If you're on the edge never gybe back through the fleet! "Can't win by following."

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If anyone else has an opinion on this, please feel free to make an OP and link, maybe we should just do a general sailboat thread instead? There's Nautical Insanity, too, not trying to stratify things too much. I'm swamped today so I won't be able to do an OP.

Anywho here's 2x CC99s going at it last weekend in a very uncharacteristic for July 5-12kts (we won) :coolbert:

Work continues on ripping the rotten core out of the J24. What was going to be a month long project has revealed more damage than we had hoped and we'll be lucky to have her in the water for Frostbite at this rate.
I was going to post a picture but its like 72 hours and hundreds of posts back in our group chat and I'm not scrolling that far. Basically, everything within 3 feet of the mast is trash and its bad. Drilled holes in the rudder and we're going to let it drain for 6 months and hope it doesn't split on us for another season or two because we really don't feel like spending 1600 bucks of program funds on a new one.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

That tactician needs to already have his protest flag in hand cause uh that's not proper course.

TP52 super series :allears:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Karma Comedian posted:

Got my shitbox up to 5.5 sustained today, feeling pretty good

As long as you're not cruising :)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Trip report: Thistle Nationals
Hey, that's us up front and on the website!

No trailer issues there or back from Atlanta to Cleveland so that's nice

Measurement committee wants your inspection ports to not just be covered by lots of sail tape, who knew, so emergency repair job to measure in--thank satan West Marine had enough new ones in stock

Erie can be an angry bitch
Swag was very nice
Their triangle courses are a welcome change of pace from W-Ls since I don't get to do much offshore these days
Only scheduling one or two races a day and making it an actual race *week* is very nice--means everyone parties pretty hard, and some folks have been to every event in the last 40 years.
Don't ever race one of these infernal things without the greatest invention since the vang; I only had to take it off on the day it wasn't blowing and was 90*.
https://www.zhik.com/kollition-microfleece-skiff.html

A multiple time Olympian came in 5th in gold. lol.

Next up:
Doing some Thistle races on 2 different boats in the south atlantic circuit this year
J24 Southeastern series enough to try and qual/write in for Worlds 22 in Texas
Have a ride on a J105 for Charleston Race Week 22 because gently caress the circle 3 race committee for the idiotically unsafe and close to the channel races they ran on the last day last year. My J24 can stay in fresh water and not go on the miserable 5 hour ride to chucktown, thanks.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

Karma got me though, sea lion had diarrhea all over the port side of my boat, was so ugly the marina staff had to pressure wash it off due to complaints

Thank you for reminding me that freshwater annoyances are rather minor

Went and un-storm-tied the J90 last night, we didn't even see anything above 20kts out of Ida; had to pump 10 gallons out of the J24 though, "sinks on the trailer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

What is the competitive sailing scene like, uh, south of Norfolk VA, and uh, north of Savannah, GA

Zooming way way out all I see between those two points are Charleston SC, Wilmington NC and Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach has no marina, and the marina scene in Charleston looks pretty dire. Wilmington looks like they have more than eight sailboats. I see a bunch of shallow water marinas but they look like they all mostly service offshore 40' sport fishing boats

Steven Colbert has a house in Charleston and once did the Newport Bermuda race, is all I know

What do y'all race around? Ocean buoys? At least in Galveston we had oil rigs to use as course markers

Yep, that's about it. Savannah sucks because it's a shallow river. Wilmington has racing but its mostly dinghies I think. When the first batch of Wetas came into the states, I delivered a few up to the Duck Island area.

In Charleston we do windward-leewards around temporaries and some local nav markers inside the harbor and long distances up and down the coast. Main areas are Charleston Harbor Marina [left red circle] (where the yacht club is) and Patriot's Point [right red circle] (aka where the Aircraft Carrier is) Both of these are perfectly serviceable marinas but I'm sure they're pricey and probably waitlisted to hell and back. I'm not a local, but its basically the closest ocean racing I can get to so I have a lot of friends out there and the C&C99 I was a partner in used to live at Patriot's Point.

The jetties leading out [green] force you to share the channel with commercial traffic and are not really ones that you want to chance it over, so typically we only go out if we're *really* going out. There's a circle at CRW for cruisy offshorers that goes out past the jetties to a mark and back and that's typically a 3ish hour race. The only other thing you have to look out for is Schute's folly, smaller green square. Otherwise, other than a sometimes RIPPING current, both the Ashley and Cooper are perfectly sailable.

Really easy place to get 5 horned with the increase in commercial traffic. Commercial port in black. I think there were close to 10 boats that ended up having a talking to by the coast guard this year during RW alone.

occluded posted:

Anyway the guy is an extremely old and salty sea dog who has told other stories that are definitely bullshit but I do wonder if such a book exists - something that goes through every part of sail setting and trim etc etc with a view to maximum efficiency. Any ideas?

This should be your bible, then. 30 years old and still the definitive resource. https://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Smar...3609716&sr=8-26

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 7, 2021