Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

Do any of you crew on the big boats that race? I met some people in Newport, RI that do the whole "different races around the globe thing," but the owner was saying the crew during races were paid ~$3k/day, plus you have to put them up and feed them. It seemed like a pretty small community where everyone knew each other, and it sounded like a shitload of fun, especially if you were on the younger side.

I'm not into boating at all but I also found the sail crew vs powered yacht crew divide interesting. One of the sailing crew members explained it to me as no matter what your job is on a sail boat, you still have to have sailing skills and know a fair amount, whereas if you're cleaning the rooms on Spielberg's yacht, that's all you know how to do. I don't think I could do a sail boat full time though, I'm tall and even on a huge sail boat I basically just walked hunched over all the time for fear of hitting my head on something.

I've got several friends who are involved. Most don't get paid at all, but free food, free travel all over the world, and the chance to sail some amazing rigs. I live on Cape Cod, so there's a lot of sail-folks around. Several friends have done the Newport Bermuda Race, they all said it was an awesome experience. I'm not a sailboat guy, but it sure looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU