Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

No racing this year due to corona but I’m usually out on a J105 in Fleet 1. I also race on a 1924 gaff schooner, some old Farallon Clipper 38’ sloops my friend has, and once in a blue moon I dust my boat off for some hooning (Santa Cruz 50). I’m also restoring a ‘74 Flying Junior dinghy. So far all of my racing and most of my sailing has been in SF Bay.

meltie posted:

Gybe or Tack but DO SOMETHING NOW *crunch*

I’ve been in something like 7 collisions, from rather benign glancing bumps to a full-speed T-bone that caused about $100k damage (not at fault, or at the helm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hadlock posted:

My dream boat :allears:

It rules.

Hadlock posted:

Also J/105 fleet 1. Supposedly St Francis is still on track to do RBBS in September(?) we'll see what happens there my guess is no

I want to believe that we'll be in a place where that seems like a good idea by September. We'll be so out of practice it'll be a complete shitshow. :buddy:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The Shark is a good looking boat. I think in most boats >30kts sustained is 'no kite' territory.

Our boat actually came with a 'heavy kite' for poo poo like that, it's like 2oz cloth. The sailmaker called it a 'rig killer' because if you stuff the boat into a wave or catch a huge gust the kite will stay together and pull the whole rig down with it. To run a kite in any kind of breeze on the SC I need minimum 8 good crew, and I just don't have that many friends. So I want to scrap most of the kites except maybe the big runners for light air and switch to asymmetricals. Which means I need to build a sprit...

The spin poles on the SC are 20' long, and we carry two. However, being carbon fiber I can hold them with one hand.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya you have to be really really good to get paid to race. But if you can get on some rich dude’s huge boat they generally pay for all of your expenses. And if you do a distance race often you can get paid to help bring the boat home (i.e. the return from the Hawai’i races).

Height is a liability on boats.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

J125s definitely look like a blast. Hopefully they will supplant the J105 fleet, which don’t plane for poo poo.

RE: dousing a kite, that’s where everyone has the most issues I think. 90% of it is the driver, if you douse late and the driver turns up before it’s down you’re hosed. We do a lot of Mexicans (take up on lazy jib sheet, gybe and douse the kite into the now leeward jib, just funnels it into the hatch if you get it right). On a regular weather douse I’m on foredeck, I pull the sheet and get the clew to the deck and put a knee on it aft of the hatch, then try to get the foot back and in the hatch while my squirrel finds the red tape and hauls rear end on that. My pit is often timid with dumping the halyard so I am usually yelling for more. We almost always run with six crew so we always have a squirrel, when we are five up then main trim usually comes to squirrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Dang I missed this, looks fun! Course record for an SC50 is a little under 9 days, but that was a very windy year. 10-14 days is more typical. What wind speeds are you seeing now?