Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Based on the screen, it looks like a fusion reactor that's making plasma from deuterium/tritium fuel. I'm pretty sure zeta radiation isn't a thing, but the rest of the reactor status stuff makes at least some sort of sense. Pretty neat!

I feel bad about Lamb's cat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
What a blast from the past! The voice acting is just so enjoyable - bad NY-accent (?) Reich included. Thank you for playing through this :tipshat:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Solumin posted:

I feel bad about Lamb's cat :(

Given the ramshackle state of these buildings, she can probably figure out a way to escape the apartment when she gets hungry enough. Plus, with a name like Cous-Cous, she desperately needed a new owner anyway.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The first three videos have been re-encoded in the correct resolution and have been uploaded to replace the original videos. There's no need to watch these if you have already seen the originals.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's always so... interesting? maybe? to see games or otherwise depicting the future as stuff that was around at the time it was made but just making it just ever slightly more advanced.

Anyways for a capitalistic industrial dystopia (presumably) run by an all powerful computer overseer capable of murdering people with the security cameras this one seems okay.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

It's always so... interesting? maybe? to see games or otherwise depicting the future as stuff that was around at the time it was made but just making it just ever slightly more advanced.

Anyways for a capitalistic industrial dystopia (presumably) run by an all powerful computer overseer capable of murdering people with the security cameras this one seems okay.

Well, SOME of the security cameras. I am presuming those things are dang expensive.

Also, good on OP for his hard work with the videos, you would make Joey proud.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

The purpose of dystopia in fiction is to satirise the present, not predict the future -- so that's kind of working as intended. You want to show how unchecked proliferation of current trends will lead to disaster, so you can't have your setting advanced to the point where it's no longer relatable.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

:siren: Attention: My ScummVM volume settings are bugged. Whether you turn the sliders down part or all the way, the moment that you enter a new area or if an event triggers, the volume settings resume to their default setting. I have searched for a solution or a work-around but I have found none, even editing the config files does nothing to alleviate this problem. The music will be loud in places and at times will almost overshadow speech. :siren:

Hello, first off, I'm enjoying your recent LPs and BaSS is one of my favorite adventure games.

About the sound situation, as far as I can tell, the GOG version comes with a ScummVM 2.0 version.

I have fixed a sound bug with Adlib emulator (which is the device used by default) a few months ago on the ScummVM engine for BaSS -- the fix might be in the ScummVM v2.1.2 (stable release) or otherwise it's in any recent development build (2.2.0git) available in the daily builds page for ScummVM.

This fix was addressing the issue of the music starting at full volume and ignoring the music settings from the ScummVM UI.

However, I now see another bug, which is what may (also) be affecting you. The native in-game UI (F5 key) has a volume control -- only for music -- which is not synched with the ScummVM volume settings (ScummVM UI has separate volume setting for Music, SFX and Speech). I am unsure as to why this was omitted (it could be a bug or nobody implemented it) but if you only use the ScummVM controls for Music, SFX and Speech then you shouldn't have the issue of the music volume resetting on its own.

ScummVM's in-game menu is accessed by Ctrl+F5 or Ctrl+Alt+F5 by default and you can change to a custom keymap for it in the recent builds). Also, with the "Edit Game" option you can set the Audio volume settings from the launcher ScummVM menu, as well.

I'll see what I can do for the native UI's music setting, but it will still only affect music volume. Edit: And fixed (for most practical cases anyway, I think). It should appear in tomorrow's daily build (May 29th).

In a related note, you probably can do better than the Adlib Emulator for sound. Fluidsynth with a soundfont like Fatboy's or the MT-32 Emulator (you'll need the Roland ROM files in your game directory) may be worth a shot.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this episode, Robert explores Lincspace for the first time and he makes some new friends as we find a way down to the next level.

AbstractNapper posted:

Hello, first off, I'm enjoying your recent LPs and BaSS is one of my favorite adventure games.

About the sound situation, as far as I can tell, the GOG version comes with a ScummVM 2.0 version.

I have fixed a sound bug with Adlib emulator (which is the device used by default) a few months ago on the ScummVM engine for BaSS -- the fix might be in the ScummVM v2.1.2 (stable release) or otherwise it's in any recent development build (2.2.0git) available in the daily builds page for ScummVM.

This fix was addressing the issue of the music starting at full volume and ignoring the music settings from the ScummVM UI.

However, I now see another bug, which is what may (also) be affecting you. The native in-game UI (F5 key) has a volume control -- only for music -- which is not synched with the ScummVM volume settings (ScummVM UI has separate volume setting for Music, SFX and Speech). I am unsure as to why this was omitted (it could be a bug or nobody implemented it) but if you only use the ScummVM controls for Music, SFX and Speech then you shouldn't have the issue of the music volume resetting on its own.

ScummVM's in-game menu is accessed by Ctrl+F5 or Ctrl+Alt+F5 by default and you can change to a custom keymap for it in the recent builds). Also, with the "Edit Game" option you can set the Audio volume settings from the launcher ScummVM menu, as well.

I'll see what I can do for the native UI's music setting, but it will still only affect music volume. Edit: And fixed (for most practical cases anyway, I think). It should appear in tomorrow's daily build (May 29th).

In a related note, you probably can do better than the Adlib Emulator for sound. Fluidsynth with a soundfont like Fatboy's or the MT-32 Emulator (you'll need the Roland ROM files in your game directory) may be worth a shot.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with this information. I've tried to lower the volume with the ScummVM settings and I've also edited the config file but the volume keeps resetting. I tried to shoehorn the latest version of ScummVM onto the installation folder by copying the latest versions files into it, but I'm not sure whether it worked. It forced an update when I loaded the game afterwards but the problems still remained. I've just launched ScummVM from the BASS installation folder and it's currently using the "2.1.0 October 5th 2019" version.

I have the most current version of ScummVM as a standalone installation but I'm not sure how I can link BASS directly to that version.

I'm going to record another video this weekend for a Sunday upload, I will try a different audio emulator and see if that will make a difference. Thank you for the suggestions.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I have the most current version of ScummVM as a standalone installation but I'm not sure how I can link BASS directly to that version.
In theory, what you did should work. Just copy the new ScummVM version's files over the ones in the GOG ScummVM folder for the game, and then keep launching the game from the GOG shortcut. This should be the most hassle free way, because GOG's shortcut (typically) sets and uses a custom configuration file and save-files path, whereas a standalone ScummVM installation will, by default, use a path under your Windows AppData.

If you go the standalone way, you'll at least have to point ScummVM to the game's data folder (press "Add Game.. " and navigate to the "Games\Beneath a Steel Sky" folder that GOG creates and press ok). And then also set the Save Path to point to the "Games\Beneath a Steel Sky\saves", via Edit Game... -> Paths -> Save Path.

I'd recommend however to get a daily development build (2.2.0git) in either case, because those definitely will include the sound fixes by now. Those are mainly listed and updated here, but for Windows specifically you could use the "ScummVM Snapshot for Windows" here which is more often updated (than daily) and uses a more up-to-date toolchain afaik.

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
For some reason I thought this was based in dystopia Melbourne (closer to Hobart), but then seeing St James and Museum station, those are both real train stations in the Sydney CBD. Not what I was expecting!
Anyway nice LP so far!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

In theory, what you did should work. Just copy the new ScummVM version's files over the ones in the GOG ScummVM folder for the game, and then keep launching the game from the GOG shortcut. This should be the most hassle free way, because GOG's shortcut (typically) sets and uses a custom configuration file and save-files path, whereas a standalone ScummVM installation will, by default, use a path under your Windows AppData.

If you go the standalone way, you'll at least have to point ScummVM to the game's data folder (press "Add Game.. " and navigate to the "Games\Beneath a Steel Sky" folder that GOG creates and press ok). And then also set the Save Path to point to the "Games\Beneath a Steel Sky\saves", via Edit Game... -> Paths -> Save Path.

I'd recommend however to get a daily development build (2.2.0git) in either case, because those definitely will include the sound fixes by now. Those are mainly listed and updated here, but for Windows specifically you could use the "ScummVM Snapshot for Windows" here which is more often updated (than daily) and uses a more up-to-date toolchain afaik.

For some reason, it wouldn't let me "Add game..." in my standalone ScummVM installation. I've tried again and it worked this time. I'm still having the same issue with the music resetting to the default volume.

I've also downloaded, what I believe, is the latest daily build and I'm still having the same problem with the music.

I made a test recording with the latest version that I have downloaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgE3eujxVI

Carnafex posted:

For some reason I thought this was based in dystopia Melbourne (closer to Hobart), but then seeing St James and Museum station, those are both real train stations in the Sydney CBD. Not what I was expecting!
Anyway nice LP so far!

Until you had posted this I had forgotten about this game being set in Australia.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I made a test recording with the latest version that I have downloaded
Please try the development daily build. It's the left column in the daily builds page. The version number should be prefixed by 2.2.0git and the displayed version date should be very recent (like today's or yesterday's date).

Direct link (for Windows x64): https://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/master/mingw-w64-master-latest.zip

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

Please try the development daily build. It's the left column in the daily builds page. The version number should be prefixed by 2.2.0git and the displayed version date should be very recent (like today's or yesterday's date).

Direct link (for Windows x64): https://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/master/mingw-w64-master-latest.zip

:doh: It seems to be working. Thank you!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've recorded another video which I will upload tomorrow. I'd like to say thank you again to AbstractNapper for solving the sound issues that I was having. Things should be a lot more straightforward with recording and editing. Some of the background noises fluctuate wildly in some areas, I'll need to get a little closer to the mic when encountering these places in the future. I have some free time tomorrow so I will try to do some recording of any missing scenes, deaths and alternate dialogues.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This game is vaguely depressing with regards to what they predict and what came true...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Robert gets propositioned, fails to get served at a bar and engages in a bit of animal cruelty. Is the music level okay or does it need turning up a few notches?

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
I've only ever played this game with the music blasting, so anything different feels off. It's nice to hear the VA clearly for a change, though. I think it's good.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Poor Anita :(

I'm really curious about what happened at the funeral though. Going into the cathedral didn't really tell us much.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Parts of the LINC music sound really familiar but I can't place it and it is extremely annoying.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Robert attends a court session, travels to a new subway station and says hello to an old friend. I spent time recording some additional footage last Sunday, I think that I caught everything on the top floor up to the end of the second video in this LP and there was quite a lot to capture. It turns out that the conversation with the guard that I missed in the second video had a lot of useful lore to teach us. I haven't had a lot of free time since Sunday but I'm going to try to record more additional footage over the next few days.

I'm very sad to tell you all that there is no way to take the sandwich down to the next level. I tried my hardest to find a way around it but alas, it was not meant to be.

Death count list:
5. The Dickish-Hole
6. A Crushing Blow

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beyond a Steel sky looks like a sorta different game, but not a bad one. You think you're gonna lp that when/if it comes out?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Beyond a Steel sky looks like a sorta different game, but not a bad one. You think you're gonna lp that when/if it comes out?

I would like too if it runs on my system. I'm definitely going to buy it when it comes out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final video of the main LP and I won't spoil anything for those who haven't seen it. There is an alternate ending which I will make sure to show off in a bonus video, most likely with the additional and missed dialogue. I've recorded additional material up to the courthouse at the moment, there's a fair amount of additional content in this last section of the game. I'm hoping to record the rest of the material over the next two or three days when I have a little time away from work and childcare. If all goes well I should have the extra material up by Wednesday.

Death count list:
7. Walter A way to die!
8. Waking someone up from a bad dream.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. This has been a wonderful trip down memory lane and it's always an absolute pleasure to return to Beneath A Steel Sky. I will definitely be checking out Beyond A Steel Sky when it comes out and I would like to continue on with the story if I am able too. It's just going to take time for it to come out and to give it a playthrough so I know what I'm doing, it also depends on whether I have enough hardware to run it and record at the same time. I will hopefully be back within a few days to finish off the extra content. I'm also hoping to return with a new LP next week, Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans is at the top of my list right now.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for a wonderful LP. Looking forward to the bonus videos!

The last scene I can remember from this game was the tunnel where you have to put the bulb into the socket, everything after that is a complete blank. Wondering if I actually completed it back in the day, but it would seem weird to give up that late. Was a fun ride down memory lane for sure, I'm going through your Monkey Island LP's right now and enjoying them a lot also!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My one major complaint about this game is that bit right at the end. Did he forget that his entire family and everyone he knew (other than Joey) was killed at the start of the game? Why is he going back to the Gap? What's left there for him now?

Also, minor point, but I've never understood why Joey suddenly needed a new name or what the joke is supposed to be in saying that all Kens are dorks. :confused:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm guessing the name 'Ken' comes from Barbie's equally blank-beneath-the-belt doll companion. The dorks, though, I've no idea. Thanks for the LP, RBD, it was a thoroughly enjoyable stroll down memory lane :)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This was really cool! Thanks for the LP, I would never have heard of this game otherwise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What better way to end this LP than with this?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I'm glad that you enjoyed the LP. These are the last two videos for this thread, the first is the missed dialogue from the main playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWfxVOhtWJg

Inside Factory - Additional dialogue with Joey and Hobbins
Outside Factory - Conversation with the guard
Offering people my sausage sandwich.
Additional dialogue with Anita, Lamb and Potts.
Additional dialogue with Anchor, Travel Agent and Lamb.
Failing at Linc-Space.
Additional dialogue with Vincent and Mrs. Piermont.
Additional dialogue with the Bar-Man, Bouncin' Babs and Colston.
Trying on a new suit.
Additional courtroom dialogue.
Trying to free Ken.

And here are the death sequences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4ffGswlNg

Factory - Walking down the guarded stairs.
Security Lobby - Using an untampered card in the scanner, twice.
Maintenance Room - Using the putty while the generator is switched on.
Reactor Room - Opening the reactor door without a radiation suit.
Subway - Being eaten by the photophobic monster.
Underground - Staying still while the roof collapses.
Vat Room - Failing to set the trap for Walter.
Android Room - Waking up Android #3.
Council Room - Multiple ways of failing to contain Linc.

Samovar posted:

What better way to end this LP than with this?

Thank you for the link, this is great timing as it seems to have been uploaded today.

My only take on the ending to BASS is that there was more than one settlement out in the gap, after watching the trailer they seem to be going for that aspect too. As for Ken, I have absolutely no idea what that was all about.

Sjonkel posted:

I'm going through your Monkey Island LP's right now and enjoying them a lot also!

I'm glad that you are, I learnt a lot from doing that LP series and its one that I sometimes wish I could do-over.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This game was way more irreverent then I was expecting. Sure there was plenty of comedy in adventure games back then but at least the ones I played didn't involve a kangaroo game show court. Quite the bizarre mish-mash of topics.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Another excellent LP. Thank you for this; I played the game years ago and really enjoyed it, but nowadays I barely remembered the plot aside from a few major points.

I also had fun fixing the sound bug (as best as I could) and spotting a few other glitches, which maybe I'm not the best person to fix --since I'm not yet very familiar with the engine and there's probably someone else on the ScummVM team who knows it better. But I will at least open some bug tickets and see what happens.

Looking forward to the next one.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Kibayasu posted:

This game was way more irreverent then I was expecting. Sure there was plenty of comedy in adventure games back then but at least the ones I played didn't involve a kangaroo game show court. Quite the bizarre mish-mash of topics.

I am guessing you never played Sam an Max hit the road, then? ;)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words despite the technical difficulties. I would like to thank AbstractNapper again for the advice and patience with solving the volume issues. The OP has been amended and I've submitted this LP to the archive.

I didn't realise before but this game was LP'd once before in 2009 in screenshot format, the images are lost to waffleimages unfortunately: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The list of games to LP is long and ever-changing and I've made a decision to start [Warcraft Adventures: Lord Of The Clans[/b] next.

Sanitarium was on the cards but I've only just started playing it again for the first time in almost twenty years, I want some time to get familiar with it again before I do anything with it. For some reason, the Doctor Who adventure game has been on the back of my mind recently and I've downloaded it again. I'm happy that my save games from the last time that I played it are still on the cloud, the game glitched itself into an unplayable state and still are now. I'm probably the last person who should LP a Doctor Who game so you should probably expect it at some point soon.

When it comes to irreverent, I think that's what keeps me coming back to games from around this era. The late '80s and early '90s are where I grew up and where I started playing games, so it's probably not a surprise of why I keep coming back to them as they hold elements of nostalgia. Amongst the cat moustache kind of logic to some puzzles, there is a lot of abstract and surrealness from this time that will always appeal to me. I've always wanted to approach earlier adventure games that were more suited to screenshots and I did start an LP of Zakk McKracken many years ago but I abandoned it pretty early on. If my memory serves me correctly I have started two screenshot LP's and both were abandoned. I might start a screenshot LP if it didn't take me two hours to make an initial post and then edit it several times hours afterwards.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I do have to wonder if, while the initial renaming is obviously a Ken doll joke, the following riff about all Kens being dorks isn't a tiny jab at Ken Williams. (This is an adventure game, after all.)

Thanks for another good LP!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thesaya posted:

I am guessing you never played Sam an Max hit the road, then? ;)

Oh sure but a game sets certain expectations you know? When you start with kidnapping, mass murder, and political intrigue it sets a different kind of bar!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm curious to know, have you played Primordia? It's a great game, and very much inspired by BASS. It's a little less cruel to its characters, if not as expansive in the world it describes.

I also never picked up on the connections with Brave New World that this game has, especially in the sequence with Ms. Piermont. I hadn't read that book when I played this the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Kibayasu posted:

Oh sure but a game sets certain expectations you know? When you start with kidnapping, mass murder, and political intrigue it sets a different kind of bar!

Wait, which game are you speaking of? I realised mid answer that you could be referring to either of them.