Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Be crime, do gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Khris Kruel posted:

So let us go over the tale of Affluenza, or as we warmly call him Influenza.

Affluenza is a level 94 trader and has been in this game for 6 years.

In this game, they have a mechanic called buy mugging, where you can buy equipment off of people and then immediately mug them for some of your money back. One of the goals of this game is to find traders that won't do this to you.

One of the ways to check if they do is look at their enemy list and their karma/dislikes. You want a high ratio of likes to dislikes and they don't have enemies. These are very important as a trader.

So after winning a bunch of money playing poker 16 hours a day on this game, I decided to take a break and become an armor trader. I did some models for what I thought the market should be, and went through and picked up anything I thought I could relist for 50% profit (its working so far).

So Affluenza has armor pieces as well. The 3 bazaars with the lowest listed price on a piece of armor will be listed, all other bazaars are banished to the nether. If someone can't see your bazaar, they don't shop there.

So I take my shittiest pieces of armor and undercut Affluenza by 1 dollar.

He absolutely goes apeshit, blocks me, enemy lists me, and for two days puts bounties on me so that I get beat up. This actually isn't a bad thing, because if I'm in the hospital, I can't be mugged. Most traders keep themselves in the hospital.

So we can't attack Affluenza...I'm a 120 day old newb with low stats. But what can I do? I can dislike his thread, and put him as an enemy, and post in his thread that he mugs people after they sell to him.

This is where the threats begin, because the rest of us also nuke his trade thread and list him as an enemy. We start getting threats from other players since we went and disliked everyone who posted in the thread as well.

So come play with us, where pubbies E-Reputation is super important to them, and we wield insane power as newbies to completely destroy traders reputations.

Khris Kruel posted:

If I can figure out how to run an extortion racket on dislikes, I'm gonna start kneecapping traders that don't buy dislike protection from us

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

biosterous posted:

okay, here it is time for the Ballad of Jay

something like three months ago, jay joined torn and started hanging out in the discord. he was, by his own admission, kinda dumb, but he was friendly enough i guess? i found it pretty tedious talking to him tbh

a few months ago, jay saw that kris and crappy had lots of bounties on them (bounties they'd got by doing things like "massive buymugs on idiots" and "disrupting the entire market for armour in the course of a week"), and decided he wanted bounties too. so what did he do? he went in general chat and started spamming, getting stupider and stupider, until he started posting furry erotica. so yeah, he got bounties, by basically making GBS threads his pants in public and rolling in the poo poo until people started hitting him with baseball bats. also he got warned by staff to not do things like "post furry erotica in general chat". it was incredibly baffling to see someone basically doing this in 2020 and thinking it would be lauded by goons.

last month, jay did a buymug on someone (which is actually Proper Goon Behaviour), and the guy got mad and bountied him. (for reference, the pubbie's faction's initials are ThB) jay bountied him back and taunted him, and then also bountied the THB leader and taunted her too. this was dumb. instead of just being a slapfight between two individuals, jay went out of his way to pull in Big Angry Pubbies, the kind of people who have been playing this game for ten years and can kill all goons with basically no effort. why did jay do this? i can think of two possible reasons:

1) jay had seen discussion on how useful bounties were in previous faction war, and thought "all i need to do is put bounties on these big players and i will win"

2) jay is really loving stupid

so people yelled at him to stop escalating, and for a few days he did, but then a few days later he decided to start again. now, when did he start to escalate again? why, in the midst of the faction trying not to get killed due to the drama from my previous post, of course! clearly the best thing to do during an unwinnable war is to turn it into a two-front war :v:

goons scramble for damage control, a deal is eventually made with THB that's basically "your raid stops after 24 hours, we pay 50mil (half of which came from jay's account)**, and you can hit jay all you want for a month with no retaliation". jay pitched a small fit, but then the next day went along with things at least?

fast forward to yesterday! at some point jay was found streaming with a Known Shithead Chud Nazi, and got called out on the discord. jay had mod powers for some reason, so he muted the person who called him out. and then, because jay is really loving stupid, he told said nazi about what happened, and invited them onto the discord. fortunately, since it was a known shithead nazi, mods banned him immediately and started investigating how he even got invited.

oh look, an invite link that jay made, that has only been used once! by said nazi! so naturally kris confronted him and was like "jay, did you invite a nazi to the discord" and jay replied with "yes here is a screenshot of me sending the invite, also ~*~I dOn'T cArE aBoUt PoLiTiCs~*~"

i lied at the top, it's actually the Ballad of Jay Who Turned Out To Be A Nazi Enabler At Best (gently caress You, Jay)

so naturally he's been banned from the discord and kicked from the faction, because frankly if you hang out with nazis you're pretty much a nazi. also he's been bountied to hell in-game and is unlikely to spend very much time at all out of the hospital.

bonus "jay is loving stupid" material!

- months ago jay posted something like "i don't get why people are so upset about [trump]"
- during the Great Lifeboating, when the discord was being flooded and jazz was asking what channels he should add, jay suggested fyad. it might have been a joke, but given jay, it might not have been a joke
- jay is currently whining to the leadership of THB that goons didn't give him his money when he got kicked. 1) he never asked for it, and 2) lol he's not getting it, except maybe in the form of bounties.

**i have been corrected on this - the money that was supposed to be paid by jay was actually paid by blackcats, and jay got kicked for being a massive gently caress before he paid it back.

p.s. jay, if you read this, gently caress you and get off the forums, you are nazi-enabling trash, gently caress off forever

I can add something to this.

Jay had been hanging around as stated since March, and seemed okay if dumb. Which is fine, there is no shortage of dumb, well meaning goons. So when the forums drama happened and our server saw an influx of goons overnight, we deputized some folks that had been on our server for a bit to help us moderate the larger server population. Something to note is that we had maybe 400 people on our server before the Tax Man Drama started and folks were looking to leave SA, and with the exodus we had about 700 people join in a matter of hours. Jay was one of the people deputized to help moderate. But once this came out about him pal'ing around with trash he got the boot.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Jestah posted:

You like my new profile picture?

It's not bad, definitely a step in the right direction.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I never played this but I deeply appreciate how loving riled up you have all managed to get the pubbies to be. Just looking at this game it looks like a dumpsterfire with non-existent balancing, and as a result it means that high level players blow more of their money, resources and time just to attack lowbies so really it seems like they're playing themselves by engaging in such a petty vendetta for some nerd's wife's e-honor. Keep up the good work.