Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Synthetic Hermit posted:

For anyone not aware, the guy behind Planet Tony Hawk has a book that details the ins and outs of the franchise.

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Hawks-Gaming-Domination-Definitive/dp/B08JLHQK13/

I bought that book a few months ago with my stim money haha. Its a great and thorough retrospective of the series. I wish more books were written about games like that. Seems like youtube is the only place to find series retrospectives like that these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Something that should surprise no one —

https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1539019629015842818?s=20&t=Tz2JpEBjKypFbfDcznh2tQ

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

God drat son of a bitch motherfuck you Activision
Management is a gently caress
Kill all MBAs

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I am going to cry

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mfw no more tony hawk remakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOOXRD1LanI

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I could have gone my whole life happier without knowing

What a poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mid 20s developer
I hope I don't get bought

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Motherfuckers

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
mmaybe it was only shelved for a little while…

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Vicarious Visions is dead. Everyone wants Lord Phil to swoop in and save the day, but nothing can happen until the AB deal closes which is at least another 8 months, and then even if you were able to scrap together enough of the old team, development hadn’t even started yet so it’s like 3 years out, best case scenario.

I could give or take 4, but drat would it have been nice to get 3 as a DLC for this to have everything all in the same package kind of like how HITMAN Trilogy is one of the greatest packages of content in gaming.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I don’t really give a gently caress about 4 and it would have been a lot more work because of the open world poo poo, but the “THPS 1+2=3” DLC option to give us the last of the original format games was right there.

I’d even have settled for them adding custom goals to create a park or something and just let fans try to fill some gaps.

I still fire this up once every couple of weeks, reset the tours for one of my created skaters and just blast though both games in like 30 minutes :unsmith:

I’ve got so many levels down to single run completions now.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
4 loving ruled. The endgame challenges that were different for each skater were so cool, and kind of foreshadowed the challenges that 1+2 has.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m not enough of a gamer to even come close to completing most of the challenges, but I still boot this up pretty regularly. Right now my goal is to 100% career mode with every single character as well as complete all the character specific challenges like linking certain combos together. I think I’ve got like 5 or 6 characters left. Then it will be time to really hunker down and focus on unlocking the premiere board for my favorite level of all time, School II.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This makes me so mad and sad.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

802.11weed posted:

mmaybe it was only shelved for a little while…

Lmao no, they got merged into Blizzard and Blizzard doesn't make good games people enjoy anymore because the leadership is total dogshit.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I loving NEED an HD remake of 4, Underground, Underground 2, and hopefully even the classic mode of American Wasteland (hated the story mode in that one tbh). This news sucks eggs. I hope we get the rest of the series remastered someday... :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honestly, I'd just like to see a new game (Tony Hawk or otherwise) that does the same kind of skateboarding adventure thing that the story mode of Underground did.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, I'd just like to see a new game (Tony Hawk or otherwise) that does the same kind of skateboarding adventure thing that the story mode of Underground did.

Same, I loved the comedy inherent in making a "real world" game where all problems had to be solved with skateboarding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's been a couple indie games that have taken from the Skate formula, and 1+2 obviously has the classic arcade format, but man...I think that story mode gameplay was my favorite in the series.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bleh, Skate.

Much like how sim racing games are not as fun as Mario Kart or any given Mario Kart knockoff, sim skating games are absolutely not as fun as any given THPS title.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
At least the frame rate is good on the old games. They still feel good to play even if they are ugly.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tony, no :smith:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZLUZl8sdgY

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
losing the 3+4 remake and getting that bullshit instead is all the proof I need that the Weasel Timeline theory is actually real

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

He already made NFTs so this is just a drop in the bucket. We like him and all but we can't forget that Tony Hawk does not mind putting his name on garbage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

4 loving ruled. The endgame challenges that were different for each skater were so cool, and kind of foreshadowed the challenges that 1+2 has.

The level design was loving great and when I was in 9th grade and just got a GameCube the college level alone’s size was awesome and the dumb tennis minigame in it was :aaaaa:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I’ll say it.

4 was a fun game but the level design was a huge step down from the previous games. It took all the fun out of making creative lines and combos, everything was contrived to join up super neatly and robotic with little effort.

It felt, and the pun is fully intended, on rails, in a lot of places.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AirRaid posted:

I’ll say it.

4 was a fun game but the level design was a huge step down from the previous games. It took all the fun out of making creative lines and combos, everything was contrived to join up super neatly and robotic with little effort.

It felt, and the pun is fully intended, on rails, in a lot of places.

4 was neat at the time but I didn’t spend half as much time with that or any of the open world derivatives like THUG/2/AW as I did with any of the original 3, for basically this reason.

I tapped out on the franchise after like half an hour of Project 8 and didn’t touch it again until the dogshit awful THPS HD.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I only played 4 for the first time a few years ago and it seemed really forgettable. Underground did everything better (makes sense considering it was the next game) and I really hate the way they approached challenges.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
To me the constrained levels and 2:00 time limits are part of the genius. Once they started opening it up I just lost all interest.

However, I really loved the skate series but again it’s two different types of games. Skate was so fun and relaxing to me the way the Forza Horizon games are where it was just fun to skate around and do some lines and not stress about top scores or whatever.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

THUG is the peak of tony hawk level design frankly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm the weirdo who really liked the early story Hawks and wish there was at least one game that was trying to ape that formula instead of being Also Skate.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
See, I was kind of the opposite. I loved that 4 allowed you to explore the levels whilst following an amazing combo basically every where you turned. In my mind they took the lessons learned from the best level in THPS3, cruise ship, and kind of extended it across the whole game.

Though it's best thinking of it in the context of the time - they had to try something to keep the formula and your skills fresh, considering Activision was pumping them out like wildfire. There was as much time between THPS2 and 4 as there has been from THPS1+2 to today.

it's no wonder the series turned to dumb gimmicks, starting to surface with 4 but then taken to 11 with THUG.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 16, 2022

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
A fond memory related to THPS4. In 2007 I visited Alcatraz, and I couldn't quite understand why I had the strangest Deja Vu that I'd been there before. I recognised the buildings, the brickworks, the courtyard, the ramp and the dock.

It wasn't a few hours in that it suddenly clicked, and then found myself imagining everything as a rail surfaces.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Honestly I don’t need a 4 remaster, if they’d just done a 3 DLC pack (because “1+2=3” come on it was right there for the taking Activision) and gone out on that I’d probably be fine with it.

Leaving it at just the base game it is just feels like such a loose end downer :(

I could understand 4 being outside the scope because the core game mechanic changes so much to accommodate the open world but “jazz up the levels from 3 and slap on a few more goals to bring them in line with 1+2’s new stuff” feels like it’s not so big an ask, I’d pay £20 for that as an expansion no questions asked.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm glad to see THUG being reappraised a little. My brother was (and still is a skater), so he ended up preferring Skate, but my Devil May Cry and Ikaruga loving rear end ended up really liking just making numbers get big in these games as a late comer.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

THUG gets poo poo because the cars were such a stupid loving idea that was obviously focus grouped in that it colors everything else people remember about the game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

THUG was ok, THUG 2 was far too jackass-influenced to stand the test of time and THAW was just kind of bland.

I’m reinstalling THUGPRO now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

THUG gets poo poo because the cars were such a stupid loving idea that was obviously focus grouped in that it colors everything else people remember about the game

It's weird to say that considering the cars are such a small part of the game overall. There's like, what, four missions where you drive one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's weird to say that considering the cars are such a small part of the game overall. There's like, what, four missions where you drive one?

I totally forgot about the cars. I didn't play THUG2 however, the aforementioned Jackass stuff put me right off.