Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They could have added more stuff with Wanada Seldon. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

They could have added more stuff with Wanada Seldon. :shrug:

personally i want as much Trantor content as possible. world-cities are just a really cool setting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Forward the Foundation is very good and would have made a great miniseries.

How to fit it the terrible Prelude to Foundation would have been a problem though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cobalt-60 posted:

Same here. Asimov's characters just aren't interesting enough for full-length novels. And when he tries to include/force/synthesize characterization, it feels clunky. I liked the Lije Bailey novels the first time, but on re-reading them...take out or condense every bluff, mistake, blunder, and outright complete misjudgement by Bailey and you have a novella. With superfluous drama.

Same with "Nightfall." The original story was succinct, intriguing, and ended perfectly,just as the horror began. The novel(ization) added people, places, pages of worldbuilding, and a whole chapter AFTER the story's "end." None of them were necessary, and the whole thing felt padded out.

Asimov's stories work on the principle of "this is a cool idea, let me play around/explore/riff on it." Makes for great short stories, but hard to expand. I think "The Bicentennial Man" is the only one of his longer works I still like, and that was a culmination of all his robot stories.

I liked Arcadia/Arkady Darrell from the third foundation book, she was a fairly well drawn teenage girl.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i hope they give the second foundation cool light swords

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Looking at the cast list for the AppleTV production, Lee Pace plays the Emperor during Hari Seldon's time, but why is the Emperor called 'Brother Day' rather than 'Cleon I'? That does not bode well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Poor Lee Pace.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ponzi posted:

Looking at the cast list for the AppleTV production, Lee Pace plays the Emperor during Hari Seldon's time, but why is the Emperor called 'Brother Day' rather than 'Cleon I'? That does not bode well.

Salvor Hardin walks around with a fuckin gun. This thing was doomed from the start.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

CainFortea posted:

Salvor Hardin walks around with a fuckin gun. This thing was doomed from the start.

He has to personally demonstrate that an atom blaster is a good weapon, but it points both ways.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

48 Hour Boner posted:

He has to personally demonstrate that an atom blaster is a good weapon, but it points both ways.

Hardin overthrew a space kingdom with a loving lightbulb. Don't need no blaster.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone watching the Foundation series? I've seen the first 4 episodes and......its ok I guess? I like the clone emperor, kind of an interesting way to show the decay and stagnation of the empire. Making Anacreon backward because they were the target of an imperial assault is kind of interesting too. I just hope they would pick up the pace a bit. They have added a lot of padding and none of it is interesting at all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rutibex posted:

Anyone watching the Foundation series? I've seen the first 4 episodes and......its ok I guess? I like the clone emperor, kind of an interesting way to show the decay and stagnation of the empire. Making Anacreon backward because they were the target of an imperial assault is kind of interesting too. I just hope they would pick up the pace a bit. They have added a lot of padding and none of it is interesting at all.

I saw the first episode for free, and it was decent but not so much to compel me to add another subscription service to my monthly bill. I think I'll wait until all the episodes are out and use the one week free trial to binge 'em all, since there's nothing else on Apple TV that I'm at all interested in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

i think it's p deece, they get a lot of stuff right and i think the additions have potential. definitely worth a look if they stick the landing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

i think it's p deece, they get a lot of stuff right and i think the additions have potential. definitely worth a look if they stick the landing.

Yeah I am liking it, I just feels odd they are trying to do character development on these early characters. Until the Mule saga none of the characters in Foundation really have any personality or arc.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Calling it now. The Mule will be another emperor clone.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I am liking it, I just feels odd they are trying to do character development on these early characters. Until the Mule saga none of the characters in Foundation really have any personality or arc.

Salvor Hardin technically has an arc in the book as he goes from fiery young revolutionary to the authority figure that other fiery young revolutionaries are rebelling against. But it's true that character writing wasn't exactly Asimov's greatest strength as a writer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Salvor Hardin technically has an arc in the book as he goes from fiery young revolutionary to the authority figure that other fiery young revolutionaries are rebelling against. But it's true that character writing wasn't exactly Asimov's greatest strength as a writer.

I don't think Hardin was really a fiery young revolutionary. He did the coup entirely bloodlessly. A fiery revolutionary would have put the encyclopedists against the wall. I think the two Hardin stories are just more about the same situation but on two sides of the same coin. Because Hardin himself didn't really change. He even calls out that his time as Mayor was spent doing as little as possible. And that's how the 2nd crisis is handled as well.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Was the thing about Isaac Asimov sexually harassing the editor-in-chief of Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine so relentlessly hard that she quit her job to get away from him back in 1985 mentioned yet?

Here's the level of harassment that Asimov was dealing out:
https://fanac.org/fanzines/Boskone/Boskone22pb-30.html

Even diehard SF&F fandom went "WTF Asimov?" whenever that Boskone 22 article got mentioned or shared.
(source: SF-LOVERS Digest Volume 10)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jeeeeeeeeeeeesus that's immature of a grown-rear end man to do, much less a "storied figure" like Asimov.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah Asimov was well known in the convention circuit as a serial groper and sexpest, and as the years went by the whisper network grew widespread enough to try to keep him the hell away from women at cons - though by the nature of whisper networks they couldn't always be successful.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Gaal scenes from the fifth episode of the TV show appeared to take inspiration from the moments in the fifth book where various star and planet locations had been censored. That was a good part of an otherwise mostly terrible book

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

The Gaal scenes from the fifth episode of the TV show appeared to take inspiration from the moments in the fifth book where various star and planet locations had been censored. That was a good part of an otherwise mostly terrible book

the next episode they are going Helicon. if i don't see some Twisting i am going to be very upset

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Forward the Foundation is very good and would have made a great miniseries.

How to fit it the terrible Prelude to Foundation would have been a problem though.

Prelude to Foundation is a great, pulpy, sci-fi adventure IMO. Would make a great miniseries. Segments easily, lots of locations, memorable characters, etc.

Forward the Foundation would too, but I primarily find Forward interesting as it was what Asimov was grappling with while he knew he was dying of AIDS.

CainFortea posted:

To be fair, you're seeing Salvor Hardin at a younger age than you ever did in the books. They dropped the "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" line a few episodes back, I think you're going to see how she comes to end up being that way.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

quantumfoam posted:

Was the thing about Isaac Asimov sexually harassing the editor-in-chief of Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine so relentlessly hard that she quit her job to get away from him back in 1985 mentioned yet?

Here's the level of harassment that Asimov was dealing out:
https://fanac.org/fanzines/Boskone/Boskone22pb-30.html

Even diehard SF&F fandom went "WTF Asimov?" whenever that Boskone 22 article got mentioned or shared.
(source: SF-LOVERS Digest Volume 10)

FYI, to keep reading this you have to substitute 31, 32, etc for 30 in the URL.

And jeez, what a fuckin creep Asimov was. So was his son, btw.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 15, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I read Foundation and Chaos, officially licensed fan-fiction taking place at the same time as The Psychohistorians from the first Foundation book. It acts as a sequel to Forward the Foundation and doesn't reference anything from Foundation's Edge or Foundation and Earth. I'd rank it #4 behind the original trilogy but ahead of Asimov's prequels and sequels to it. It features a renewal of the war between robots who follow the Zeroth Law and those who don't. All of the original characters, such as Klia Asgar and Lodovik Trema, are very well-written. The death scenes in the novel are some of the best I've seen in science-fiction. The novel's biggest downsides are that it features Hari Seldon too heavily, doing mundane things like meeting with his lawyer, perhaps because the author was afraid that if he only included the scenes with original information in the last part of the book, it'd be odd to suddenly introduce a new character. It switches between characters' points of view every single chapter before characters cross paths, when they could have done this at least five chapters at a time.

Unfortunately, it also acts as a sequel to Foundation's Triumph, another officially licensed fan-fiction book by another author taking place between the first and second prequel. I decided to skip that one after reading its synopsis, which looks like a generic space adventure with Hari Seldon and Dors grafted onto it. Anyway, virus-like simulations of Joan of Arc and Voltaire occasionally show up and comment, but the events of the book would've proceeded the same without them. Foundation's Triumph also apparently introduced tik-toks, an apparent retcon that the Empire actually did have rudimentary servant machines that could talk and they just didn't call them robots. The worst retcons in the prequel series are that the Empire is in a state of decline because of a "brain fever" virus introduced by the Spacers against the Earth people, numbing creativity and suppressing bright individuals toward the mean, as stated in this novel. Other fan-fiction novels apparently state that Daneel did this because...chaos itself acts like a virus and has outbreaks that threaten his long-term plan with unpredictability? It makes no sense. This novel itself posits that mentalics are developing their psychic powers because the human race can choose their path of evolution in some Lamarckian fashion and it yearns to be free of robot control, which also makes no sense.

All of Asimov's retcons worked, but like Chibnal's retcons in Doctor Who, it felt like it was done in order to be self-serving and "leave a mark" on the franchise, by making grand statements about both the in-universe distant past and distant future. All it does is suffocate the possibility of further works based on their works, because the fan-fiction authors almost immediately started tripping over one another. It isn't that hard. Just write about events as they happen. There are a few mystery books taking place soon after the Elijah Bailey trilogy which seem to do that, though I haven't read them.

After Daneel wins the war, which both sides conducted indirectly through manipulating other characters rather than fighting directly, he decides to accept this as reality, and therefore the remaining Calvinians join up with him. The location of the Second Foundation is kept secret from Daneel, because the Calvinians and the Second Foundation don't trust him. The novel ends with him changing his mind, which makes it seem like the truce and all the scenes of magnanimity between Lodovik Trema and Daneel existed only to satisfy the "West Wing" brain -- finding smug self-satisfaction in finding common ground for its own sake. Most of the novel, the war itself, was written very well, but the author fell flat at that standard conclusion where the curtain is pulled back and some new truth is revealed.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 26, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea there was 3rd party Foundation content. But according to wikipedia none of them finish the story :argh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series#Other_authors_contributing_to_the_expanded_series

quote:

Asimov's novels covered only 500 of the expected 1,000 years it would take for the Foundation to become a galactic empire. The novels written after Asimov did not continue the timeline but rather sought to fill in gaps in the earlier stories.

I guess I'm just going to have to keep assuming the end of "The Last Question" is the ending of Foundation

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

If we're talking unofficial sequels, I'd recommend Kingsbury's Psychohistorical Crisis which is a sequel to the original trilogy in all but name. It takes things in an interesting direction...a more interesting one than Edge or Earth if you ask me.

https://www.amazon.com/Psychohistorical-Crisis-Donald-Kingsbury/dp/0312861028

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

If we're talking unofficial sequels, I'd recommend Kingsbury's Psychohistorical Crisis which is a sequel to the original trilogy in all but name. It takes things in an interesting direction...a more interesting one than Edge or Earth if you ask me.

https://www.amazon.com/Psychohistorical-Crisis-Donald-Kingsbury/dp/0312861028

Ok now this is the content I am looking for

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rutibex posted:

Ok now this is the content I am looking for

Yeah, as far as ideas for an AU Foundation book go, what happens when both sides in a conflict have access to psychohistory was a pretty intriguing topic to consider.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, as far as ideas for an AU Foundation book go, what happens when both sides in a conflict have access to psychohistory was a pretty intriguing topic to consider.

I can't help but think it's like this all day:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Well in Asimov’s books the reason knowledge of psychohistory is suppressed is because it literally doesn’t work if enough people know about it. So I don’t think you can really have a double psychohistory war.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm only up to episode five, but I love all the changes they've made so far except for possibly undermining salvor's iconic phrase.

That and using sci fi bullshit to roll back hari's death

But I don't miss dors, the sexbot. I don't miss terminus just being a boring empty planet. I don't actually miss Asimov's writing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

I'm only up to episode five, but I love all the changes they've made so far except for possibly undermining salvor's iconic phrase.

i donno about that. shes has been using that atom blaster consistently and it has constantly failed to accomplish anything. i think she will learn violence really is the last refuge of the incompetent by the end of the season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mentioned this in the TVIV thread but people keep talking about 3 Laws and how the robot in Foundation is clearly violating them constantly, but they have not been mentioned in the show, so maybe they're not in this adaption? I know they're a foundation (ha!) of Asimov's stories but it cannot be taken for granted that they're being followed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

galagazombie posted:

Well in Asimov’s books the reason knowledge of psychohistory is suppressed is because it literally doesn’t work if enough people know about it. So I don’t think you can really have a double psychohistory war.

Ohh, I forgot about that. It's been several years since I re-read Foundation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

I mentioned this in the TVIV thread but people keep talking about 3 Laws and how the robot in Foundation is clearly violating them constantly, but they have not been mentioned in the show, so maybe they're not in this adaption? I know they're a foundation (ha!) of Asimov's stories but it cannot be taken for granted that they're being followed.

that robot lady is super old and advanced. she can do anything via zeroth law hacks

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My one sentence review of the Foundation series so far: The Trantor storyline is crazy good and the Terminus storyline is hot garbage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rutibex posted:

that robot lady is super old and advanced. she can do anything via zeroth law hacks

Yea, that's what i figured they'd doing with them because of who they most likely really are. As there are no other Known robots in the show we don't have anyone to compare them to.

Powered Descent posted:

My one sentence review of the Foundation series so far: The Trantor storyline is crazy good and the Terminus storyline is hot garbage.

My only issue with the palace stuff is good but i get the feeling that the palace is occupied by like maybe a dozen people. There's no court, there's few servants and guards. The lack of Imperial Weirdos doesn't make me think this is about space emperors. Every good space Emperor has a whole court full of weirdos, like Dune or Warhammer 40k.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that's what i figured they'd doing with them because of who they most likely really are. As there are no other Known robots in the show we don't have anyone to compare them to.

My only issue with the palace stuff is good but i get the feeling that the palace is occupied by like maybe a dozen people. There's no court, there's few servants and guards. The lack of Imperial Weirdos doesn't make me think this is about space emperors. Every good space Emperor has a whole court full of weirdos, like Dune or Warhammer 40k.

Who needs anyone else when you've got yourself, yourself, and yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ikanreed posted:

Who needs anyone else when you've got yourself, yourself, and yourself

Your right, but I think the various Cleons should start dressing weirder, they tend to just lounge around in their blue pjs.