Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weNnjzaXbY

The Xenoblade series, developed by Monolith Soft and published by Nintendo, is currently four games strong with Xenoblade releasing July 29th, meaning 3/4's of the series will be available on the Switch, it's about time for a general thread.

Xenoblade as a series is defined by its huge explorable worlds, characters that love to talk during combat, big robots, "mmo-like" combat, and stories written by the dude behind Xenogears and Xenosaga (see: big robots). With great music, impressive vistas, and level 80 monsters in level 10 areas, Xenoblade is a treat to explore for newcomers and veterans alike. BIG TIP: No matter the game, the most important thing in combat is being able to read the screen. If you're new to the series, it will take some time for you to adjust to the flow and what is expected of you during combat. Take it slow, ask for help, and eventually you'll be a Xenoblade Master.

Original Wii release NA thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727

The first game in the series, Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii quickly became a cult classic and gained notoriety for being a really good JRPG and at the start of the last decade those were apparently pretty rare (I've forgotten/repressed most of the late 00's/early 10's). The game was eventually remastered with the Definitive Edition for the Switch, featuring a bunch of great quality of life features.

Original thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753771

Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U is technically the start of a new series, but who knows when/if we'll ever get a follow up on it. Xenoblade X cranked up the exploration and customization to never before seen heights, but the story and characters took a big hit. If you want a big, big cool world to explore and hang around in and customize your characters and equipment until your eyes bleed, this is the one for you, if you can find your Wii U and are willing to read the manual. The Xenoblade game with the funniest joke in the series, it thinks.

Original thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841372

As the actual sequel to the first Xenoblade Chronicles, 2 returns to having less exploration and customization than X but with a much bigger focus on story and characters. And I say less customization but holy moly that is only in comparison. With systems layered on systems both inside combat and out, actually understanding how Xenoblade 2 is supposed to work is a struggle in its own right... but when you do, you'll realize it's actually pretty fun. DON'T FORGET ME.

Oh if you're listening to the music I posted near the top of the page, that is from Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country, a DLC sequel/prequel for Xenoblade 2 that got its own physical release. With an entirely new combat system, some consider Torna to be even better than the main game. Play it after Xenoblade 2, or before, I'm not your dad.

The latest game in the series, Xenoblade 3 combines the worlds and mechanics of Xenoblade 1 and 2 in a new adventure. If you've played/know the story of 1 and 2, you'll be able to get more out of the game, but if you want to start here, feel free to! It's looking like a very good game. More on it in the post below this one!

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RELEASE DATE: JULY 29

Summary posted:

Live to fight. Fight to live.

Join Noah and Mio, members of the two opposing nations of Keves and Agnus, on a heartfelt journey through a warring world with a dark secret. Traverse massive, fantastical landscapes and master seamless real-time RPG combat as you expose the true enemy pulling the strings.

They called the fourth Xenoblade game Xenoblade 3! This new massive JRPG from Monolith Soft combines elements from both 1 and 2 to create what may end up being the best Xenoblade game to date.

STORY

Two nations, Keves and Agnus, are locked in an eternal war. The people of both countries are brought into this world at 10 years old, and death awaits them once they turn 20. Within those ten years, they have but one true purpose: to fight and kill their enemies. Everything else is in service to that singular goal.

Three soldiers from Keves: Noah, Eunie, and Lanz. Three soldiers from Agnus: Mio, Sena, and Taion. What will come as a result of their fateful meeting on the battlefield?

COMBAT

Combat is most easily compared to Xenoblade 2 - your attacks (Arts) are mapped to the ABXY buttons on your controller, and you're able to animation cancel your attacks to get extra damage and bonuses. Just like in 1 and 2, arts have a cooldown, but the recharge method differs depending on which country the class comes from. Noah's Swordfighter works like Xenoblade 1, where Arts are recharged on a standard cooldown timer, whereas Mio's Zephyr works like Xenoblade 2, and you have to hit with auto-attacks for your Arts to recharge.

For the first time in the series, you're also able to freely switch between which character you control in the middle of combat. If the AI is being a butt with a character, quickly switch to them and make them do what you want. You can only control the six main party members, mind you, not the guests.

New to Xenoblade 3 is a class system. Each character has their own class they start with, and are then later able to switch into other classes as well. As you level up different classes, you're able to equip their Arts even in another class - they're assigned to the D-Pad. However, you can only do this if the class originates from the opposite country; if your character is a Swordfighter, a Kevesi class, you won't be able to assign Arts that are from a different Kevesi class. Once you've set up your Arts, you're able to use Fusion attacks, which combine the effects of your ABXY Arts and your D-Pad Arts.

There's a whole bunch of additional nitty gritty details to the combat: Ouroboros Interlinking, Chain Attacks, Break-Topple combos, and more... but unlike Xenoblade 2, this game apparently has decently good tutorials, so just figure it out yourself or ask in the thread! (Until it turns out something needs to be clarified and I'll add it here)

Q&A
Are there gacha mechanics like the Blades from Xenoblade 2?
No

How do I take neat pictures without the UI?
L+R

Is this game going to spoil Xenoblade 1 and 2 if I haven't played them yet?
Probably, but don't worry too much about it.

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 20, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I loved the first game on Wii but still haven't beaten it :negative: My Wii is still hooked up as a constant reminder of this fact, I swear I'll beat it someday!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

C-Euro posted:

I loved the first game on Wii but still haven't beaten it :negative: My Wii is still hooked up as a constant reminder of this fact, I swear I'll beat it someday!

If you purchase the Definitive Edition, you can take it with you On The Go, and surely that'll help you actually finish it!
....not that you should be going lots of places nowadays.
....also apparently the portable mode for DE is Xenoblade 2-tier.
I guess it wouldn't help you all that much.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

There have been varying reports on this. Some say it's pretty bad, others that it's really good. This video certainly makes it look better than Xenoblade 2 undocked.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm hoping Expert Mode just lets me trade in EXP the way NG+ did in XBC2, that seemed to be a good way to handle overlevelling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
come to think of it, riki might be one of my favorite jrpg characters of all time

his personality, his battle quotes, his combat style. literally his only flaw is he can't generate aggro, which is itself appropriate because you can't stay mad at him

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

come to think of it, riki might be one of my favorite jrpg characters of all time

his personality, his battle quotes, his combat style. literally his only flaw is he can't generate aggro, which is itself appropriate because you can't stay mad at him

I like Riki a lot for the type of character he is, so it's really a shame how bad they dropped the ball with Tatsu and Tora. Though I can't remember if the AI knows to stack his damage over time skills or not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TurnipFritter posted:

If you purchase the Definitive Edition, you can take it with you On The Go, and surely that'll help you actually finish it!
....not that you should be going lots of places nowadays.
I guess it wouldn't help you all that much.

I don't own a Switch! Just need my wife to move her "office" out of our living room so I can use the TV for console gaming again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Riki is the best Nopon by far, followed by Tora and then there’s a massive gap and then Tatsu. gently caress Tatsu.

I’m really looking forward to the DE, especially with the new difficulty level. I beat Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii and 3DS and am excited to do it again on Switch! I might even beat the lv100+ super enemies this time, too! Did they say whether we would be able to track which unique monsters we’ve beaten? That would be a huge qol upgrade.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Tora is alright TBQH

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Terper posted:

If you can find your Wii U and are willing to read the manual. Has the funniest joke in the series, it thinks.

And now I'm curious, because I'm not willing to go through the manual to hunt for this joke. That thing is fairly long.
Also I'd have to hook the WiiU back up and :effort:

Anyways, :stoked: for the remake, I'll enjoy our :britain: voice acting once more. It's hard to choose a favourite, everything is so good, from Reyn time to Dunban poetry outta nowhere or some of Shulk's absolutely unhinged lines when extending a chain.

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Fair enough. Lin trying to serve Tatsu was fun the first couple times though. Pity about the other seven or eight.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 16, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Omobono posted:

And now I'm curious, because I'm not willing to go through the manual to hunt for this joke. That thing is fairly long.
Also I'd have to hook the WiiU back up and :effort:
Oh no I meant the game itself thinks it has the funniest joke, and the game is worth playing if you're willing to find your wii u and also read the manual.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

XCX has both a joke it thinks is absolutely hilarious (when it isn't) and a bunch of low-key amusing jokes spread throughout the sidequests.

Honestly, if someone wants to try XCX I'd just ask them to pretend the main story doesn't exist and think of the game as a collection of sidequests because goddamn the main plot is awful, but the sidequests are pretty drat great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if they will improve the AI because iirc the game just could not play Melia or Riki at all. You either had to control them or they would be nearly worthless.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if they will improve the AI because iirc the game just could not play Melia or Riki at all. You either had to control them or they would be nearly worthless.

If they haven't then it is really funny that they created a whole new part of the game where Melia is mandatory.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

One thing that the first got perfectly was the battle banter. There's just so much personality coming from it and it doubles as non-visual information. E.g. when Seven goes "Ha, you missed" you know your dodge-tank is dodge-tanking.

Then a future sight goes off, you break it and the future is OURS to decide :black101:.

X is an underbaked mess with what I think are great ideas with potential but, you know, the game is almost literally unfinished. Not Chair Zone Xenogears unfinished but close. Charactirization is also kinda hard with a western-style nameless protagonist.

2 is mechanically the soundest game but the gacha system utterly breaks characterization. There's no point in having too many calls and answers if there's a one-third chance at any given time that Rex has Pyra out instead of a generic.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ethiser posted:

If they haven't then it is really funny that they created a whole new part of the game where Melia is mandatory.

From previews and impressions, if the AI has been improved, it's not to a noticeable degree. Future Connected apparently starts you off with Melia as the player character instead of Shulk, so that's how they got around that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Xbx's main character actually had pretty solid characterization based on the answer prompts, it’s just that their characterization is “careless psychopath”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omobono posted:

X is an underbaked mess with what I think are great ideas with potential but, you know, the game is almost literally unfinished. Not Chair Zone Xenogears unfinished but close. Charactirization is also kinda hard with a western-style nameless protagonist.

No, I'd say it is literally unfinished. It's Kingdom of Amalur all over again, where they clearly had dreams of making an MMO-esque world and had to settle for a single-player game with what was already completed. Cross is a nameless protagonist so you could go adventuring with your friends across the world doing all those sidequests.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Storywise do these games have ANY connection, no matter how small, to Xenogears and/or the 3 Xenosagas?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Storywise do these games have ANY connection, no matter how small, to Xenogears and/or the 3 Xenosagas?

They all have the same director (Tetsuya Takahashi) but are owned by different companies. There's a lot of thematic connections, but they are all their own thing story-wise.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Tora is alright TBQH

WHAT IS IN BOOOX, TREATS OR SWEETS OR SOOOCCKS!

I like Tora.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, now I remember- if they make Shulk's 4th and 5th skill trees or whatever they're called easier to unlock, I will buy a Switch and this game day 1. There was a quest to unlock the 4th and I had absolutely no idea why I couldn't unlock it, despite doing everything every guide told me to do. Not wanting to "waste" XP on him once I maxxed those first trees out was a big part of why I put the game down.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
I bought XCX on release fully on the assumption that since I loved XC to pieces that this would be a sure thing. I put it down after two hours and never picked it up again because I was so disappointed with it and just was not getting anything out of it. Looking back, XCX was when I kinda realized the WiiU was an uneven mess of a system.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I still enjoy that the internet has pretty universally committed to the "Seven" alias.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I remember back in the day there was talk of telling your party members to focus on a target it would make some of their AI scripts better, particularly for Melia, but that might have just been rumors and myths.

that said even if it is I'll still do it all the time anyway, just like holding down and B in Pokemon, It Just Works

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 16, 2020

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Riki is the best Nopon by far, followed by Tora and then there’s a massive gap and then Tatsu. gently caress Tatsu.

Riki and Tora are both cool and good and my friends, and I never played X so I never had the Nopon race ruined for me.

The one thing I'm wondering about with XB DE is if it is still going to be frustratingly random and convoluted getting manuals to level up specific Arts. I admittedly don't remember many specifics, just that that was one of the worst things about XB1.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Riki and Tora are both cool and good and my friends, and I never played X so I never had the Nopon race ruined for me.

The one thing I'm wondering about with XB DE is if it is still going to be frustratingly random and convoluted getting manuals to level up specific Arts. I admittedly don't remember many specifics, just that that was one of the worst things about XB1.

Unique Monsters drop specific arts manuals so it isn’t quite as random as you might think. A good number are sold in stores although many are gated behind story progression and/or Colony 6 progress which can be annoying.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got probably 90+ hours out of XCX and I fear I'd do it again with a rerelease on switch. Despite its warts, the game really had a hold on me.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

chumbler posted:

I got probably 90+ hours out of XCX and I fear I'd do it again with a rerelease on switch. Despite its warts, the game really had a hold on me.

yeah popping in to say XCX is the best one and needs a release on consoles people own. I still have my copy but it's the last wii u only game i care about

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is it Reyn time yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Xenoblade 2, what is poppi favorite stable food to put in her pouch? I am seeing fizz juice but this is not contributing to her affinity chart super strength requirement.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah popping in to say XCX is the best one and needs a release on consoles people own. I still have my copy but it's the last wii u only game i care about

Remaster it without the questline requirements to get your mechs, and remove the fuel mechanic and it will be a great game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am getting DE once it is out, but I have always been tempted by Torna. I mean, I fell off of XB2 but I can say that about a lot of games and I liked what I have played, generally. Maybe I will check it out, but not now; I am already set on getting DE and Torna is still a bit rich for my blood.

I like that Nintendo and Monolith Soft have a good relationship; Nintendo publishes Tetsuya Takahashi's weird, sometimes wonderful games, and Monolith Soft helps Nintendo with their tech.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 16, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I said come in! posted:

Remaster it without the questline requirements to get your mechs, and remove the fuel mechanic and it will be a great game.

No way, having such a long and involved questline to get your mechs makes getting them all the more exciting.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

XCX had so many great ideas with weapon classes, 4 characters in a party over 3, other customizable stuff, but none of it really comes together with an annoying questline for making story progress and generally awful characters+story. Christ it was such a misfire I was shocked that XC2 even came out, figured they'd put a bullet in the series after XCX.

Instead of remastering such a hosed up mess they'd be better off just making a new Xenoblade game while carrying over the combat stuff done in XCX + mechs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah XCX is in the same class of FFXV (probably even more so) in terms of games you can’t “fix” without a top to bottom overhaul

worse soundtrack too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

X is the best Xenoblade game and 2 is a way worse game than it and 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i will defend xcx's soundtrack to my grave. but yeah the main plot was a whole lotta garbage.