Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Inflammatory posted:

i will defend xcx's soundtrack to my grave. but yeah the main plot was a whole lotta garbage.

With one glaring exception, :agreed:
The exception is the trigger on the Skell flight music. Not the music, just the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Omobono posted:

The exception is the trigger on the Skell flight music. Not the music, just the trigger.

i'll accept this.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Great ("great") moments in Xenoblade X's main plot, in no particular order:
- One of the first things that happens in the game is Elma being openly suspicious of Maurice Chausson and suggesting he's attempting some kind of coup to seize power. This thread goes nowhere and is resolved in a mandatory affinity mission where Elma's like "actually he's a Good Guy because he let his son die instead of someone else"
- There's this bit in the later half of the game where the characters are talking about how low morale is, and they mention that Irina is in such a bad place mentally that she's reckless to the point of being suicidal, and that does not describe anything we see of Irina during the entire game.
- One of the last mandatory affinity missions is training Gwin, which I guess is supposed to be so you'll have a decent fourth party member for the final stretch of the game, but it's pretty funny that the main story is all "We are on a strict time limit" but then you have to do this side mission that's just "We have to grind levels for this character"
- All of the characters who join in the main story missions going with you to the final story mission, including... L, for some reason.
- That sequence where one of the main antagonists up to that point dies but it's handled so poorly I didn't realize she actually died for two more story missions.
- That scene with a lot of dialogue where they have this song playing in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClXevG1RkN8

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

There was one actually good cutscene in X at the end of one chapter where your main gets his/her forearm blown off, freaks out, and wakes with it back like nothing happened. Then you find out everyone's in a mechanized body or something.

The rest were somewhere between forgettable and awful. I'll be damned if the exploration wasn't a whole lot of fun though. I also liked how skell flight opened up a lot of the places you could see but never get to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I barely remember the plot of XCX except that these aliens wanna kill humans because reasons and then there was something weird about the planet and also I remember it being really, really bad.

Also the NLA Day music was the worst

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vita means life

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Omobono posted:

NLA's nighttime music is bad.

Fourth Wall posted:

There was one actually good cutscene in X at the end of one chapter where your main gets his/her forearm blown off, freaks out, and wakes with it back like nothing happened. Then you find out everyone's in a mechanized body or something.

The rest were somewhere between forgettable and awful. I'll be damned if the exploration wasn't a whole lot of fun though. I also liked how skell flight opened up a lot of the places you could see but never get to.

That scene makes every single scene where people are mourning the 'death' of someone fall pretty flat because you know it's really not the case (as long as you get the macguffin).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sawano’s music might be a good fit for a quirky action game a la No More Heroes, where you don’t have to worry about a track outstaying its welcome or being constantly interrupted, but it is godfuckingawful for a lengthy rpg even before you take the terrible mixing into account

also the night NLA backbeat sounded like a disc platter failure and that always made me nervous

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DON'T FORGET what the real best music track in the series is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnZ0R8quWM

I was legitimately mad that they patched those voice clips out, it was part of the definitive XC2 experience imo but you had to pay it within the first month or so to get it.

EDIT: I know these are tired but they synced it perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRN8vLt7gO8

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 17, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

That scene makes every single scene where people are mourning the 'death' of someone fall pretty flat because you know it's really not the case (as long as you get the macguffin).

It's still irreplaceable manpower lost now and recovering the Central Core isn't a sure thing. It's potentially gonna be weeks or months before they see their friends and relatives again, if ever, with a ticking clock perpetually hanging over their lives. Literally, with the countdown on the tower :v:.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

DON'T FORGET what the real best music track in the series is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnZ0R8quWM

I was legitimately mad that they patched those voice clips out, it was part of the definitive XC2 experience imo but you had to pay it within the first month or so to get it.

EDIT: I know these are tired but they synced it perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRN8vLt7gO8

I love the fact the devs or localization team chose to reference this with one of Niall's combat lines in Torna: The Golden Country :allears:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 17, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am at the boss Aeshma’s Core and decided to Skip Travel around a bit to grind. Now I cant skip travel back to the boss and the map or compass will show me where to go. What am I suppose to do? :v:

[edit]
okay I figured it out never mind. I am bad at this game.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 17, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's still irreplaceable manpower lost now and recovering the Central Core isn't a sure thing. It's potentially gonna be weeks or months before they see their friends and relatives again, if ever, with a ticking clock perpetually hanging over their lives. Literally, with the countdown on the tower :v:.

I like how all that was a secret to most of NLA but they still put a giant countdown on the tallest building in the city with no explanation.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I barely remember the plot of XCX except that these aliens wanna kill humans because reasons and then there was something weird about the planet and also I remember it being really, really bad.

Also the NLA Day music was the worst

Wrong, the NLA Day music is the best. I can see people disliking NLA Night, but how can anyone hate ONE TWO THREE FOUR?

XCX is still by far my favorite Xenoblade, warts and all. XC1 had a much better main plot but the combat system was worse and it had TERRIBLE sidequests. XC2 made the combat just kind of weird in a direction I didn't particularly enjoy and the gacha blades annoyed me too much. It also had worse sidequests than XCX, but at least they were still better than XC1.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Great ("great") moments in Xenoblade X's main plot, in no particular order:

They named the hub city "New Los Angeles".

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The Wii really didn't do Xenoblade any justice and I'm totally looking forward to a remastered version. I was playing it on an emulator several years ago but my computer couldn't handle it at some point so I never even met the whole party. It had really gorgeous areas you could get lost in, in a way I haven't seen in many RPGs.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hmm, that is disappointing because I definitely wanted some of the characters to get lost. I've never skipped cutscenes that aggressively in a game before. The actual game part was pretty fun.

Pinterest Mom posted:

They named the hub city "New Los Angeles".
With no skid row filled with nopon high on junk pollen orbs.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That's literally a sidequest! Also, everyone knows the true drug analogue in XCX is pizza.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWaZKXUVztg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caidin posted:

I like how all that was a secret to most of NLA but they still put a giant countdown on the tallest building in the city with no explanation.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that stupid detail. I want to see what the disparate scripts looked like, because there's no way in hell there's not like two or three rewrites scribbled over-eachother.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This boss (the first one shown) is destroying me so hard. I can't even beat the power cable phase.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The second twist that earth governments realized they couldn't just bring everybody's real body and mind on these colony ships, everybody except
loving Elma herself
was once a real person but has actually already died on earth and all humans you see are instead a robot copy. The third twist is there are no backups anymore, the server flooded, the robots luckily still work for now.

So basically people won't just stroll out the door once you find the macguffin and be dandy like they're hoping; anybody damaged beyond repair is really dead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

The second twist that earth governments realized they couldn't just bring everybody's real body and mind on these colony ships, everybody except
loving Elma herself
was once a real person but has actually already died on earth and all humans you see are instead a robot copy. The third twist is there are no backups anymore, the server flooded, the robots luckily still work for now.

So basically people won't just stroll out the door once you find the macguffin and be dandy like they're hoping; anybody damaged beyond repair is really dead.

Not quite; Elma was just in stasis, she wasn't dead. Her mind was just operating her Mim remotely from cryostasis with no way to release it. The point of the Mims was that they'd have kickass robot bodies to protect themselves with controlled from the servers remotely, they're not physically in them. Body dies, take control of a new Mim and go off to try again. With the LifeHold Core lost, however, anyone who dies just sits in the server waiting for someone to push the "Build New Mim" button. It's a big thing that they know the drat thing has to be relatively close-by because they're not all lagging out due to transmission distance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; Elma was just in stasis, she wasn't dead. Her mind was just operating her Mim remotely from cryostasis with no way to release it. The point of the Mims was that they'd have kickass robot bodies to protect themselves with controlled from the servers remotely, they're not physically in them. Body dies, take control of a new Mim and go off to try again. With the LifeHold Core lost, however, anyone who dies just sits in the server waiting for someone to push the "Build New Mim" button. It's a big thing that they know the drat thing has to be relatively close-by because they're not all lagging out due to transmission distance.

There's also the huge disconnect where humanity managed to create arkships and FTL propulsion yet they couldn't trace transmissions back to the lifehold, something that modern day technology allows for and would be trivial for multiple races in XCX, especially the friendly alien races who are even more advanced than humanity.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbh3lLi1ZY

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's also the huge disconnect where humanity managed to create arkships and FTL propulsion yet they couldn't trace transmissions back to the lifehold, something that modern day technology allows for and would be trivial for multiple races in XCX, especially the friendly alien races who are even more advanced than humanity.

After the credits you learn that all the consciousness backup servers are already just as dead as the original humans. It isn't remote controlling anything anymore.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering the technology level in the setting I just assumed the links were done with some quantum entanglement technobabble, since that would explain both the inability to track the lifehold and how there's no lag at all when piloting your robot body remotely.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did y’all miss the part where Elma was an alien who knew that the badguy aliens were gonna destroy earth so she went there and taught humans how to build all of the ark ships and stuff so they could escape?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Evil Fluffy posted:

NLA's nighttime music is bad.

How dare you

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylu7dpn76ss

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

After the credits you learn that all the consciousness backup servers are already just as dead as the original humans. It isn't remote controlling anything anymore.

That doesn't excuse it though, because it SHOULD have been detectable. Not being able to locate a broadcast system of that size would be a major plot point to puzzle out, rather than "well it's here somewhere! :downs:"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't excuse it though, because it SHOULD have been detectable. Not being able to locate a broadcast system of that size would be a major plot point to puzzle out, rather than "well it's here somewhere! :downs:"

It’s text that the planet is a weird supernatural hellzone, possibly purgatory, where time and languages have no meaning early on in the story so it’s not out of the question that whatever casts broaded can’t be detected

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

It’s text that the planet is a weird supernatural hellzone, possibly purgatory, where time and languages have no meaning early on in the story so it’s not out of the question that whatever casts broaded can’t be detected

Nah, I reckon there's a draft in the script somewhere where they went from "everyone's human... with surprising amounts of agility and endurance... and the power's running out for the cryogenically-stored people in the LifeHold Core", to "everyone's remote-controlled robots broadcasting from the LifeHold Core and we'll ALL switch off when the power goes". Same reason for the bigass clock, only now it's dumb that people don't know what it's counting down TO. One of the early preview pitches was "find people in the wild in random stasis units to help build up New LA!!"

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, I reckon there's a draft in the script somewhere where they went from "everyone's human... with surprising amounts of agility and endurance... and the power's running out for the cryogenically-stored people in the LifeHold Core", to "everyone's remote-controlled robots broadcasting from the LifeHold Core and we'll ALL switch off when the power goes". Same reason for the bigass clock, only now it's dumb that people don't know what it's counting down TO. One of the early preview pitches was "find people in the wild in random stasis units to help build up New LA!!"

Where's the "people don't know what the clock is counting down to" thing from? I don't remember that being part of the story at all, iirc everyone knows what's going on* with the lifehold/mims/etc.

*I know there are lategame twists the public isn't aware of, but those have nothing to do with the existence of the countdown.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it because the dude who wrote this game loves his themes of transhumanism and what makes a soul and things like that, so the game ending on the mystery of how these robotic bodies are working without a consciousness operating them in this mysterious planet where no one can escape from and that messes with our perception of time and space is something they absolutely planned on from jump street

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

I doubt it because the dude who wrote this game loves his themes of transhumanism and what makes a soul and things like that, so the game ending on the mystery of how these robotic bodies are working without a consciousness operating them in this mysterious planet where no one can escape from and that messes with our perception of time and space is something they absolutely planned on from jump street

Ahh, fair enough. :hmmyes:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So all you people who are picking the game up again are you planning on doing FC or the main game first? I've been going back and forth and honestly I think I remember enough of the story for me to immediately jump in. Helps that that means less time having to dodge spoilers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played XC 3D last year so I am definitely brushed up on the story, so I’ll probably play the bonus episode first.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
I'll definitely be playing the main game again. I loved exploring the original game, and being able to do that again in HD is what I'm most looking forward to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hi guys it's me, the person that hasn't finished Xenoblade 2 yet even though i've been working on it for 2 years. I am in Chapter 6. The quest log says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruin and then from there I see on the compass to go downwards, but I have no idea where or the general direction to go as you're leaving Theospiti Temple Ruin. I have been going around in circles trying to find a way to the bottom of this ice canyon and I think I am just stupid. I could really use help. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I said come in! posted:

Hi guys it's me, the person that hasn't finished Xenoblade 2 yet even though i've been working on it for 2 years. I am in Chapter 6. The quest log says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruin and then from there I see on the compass to go downwards, but I have no idea where or the general direction to go as you're leaving Theospiti Temple Ruin. I have been going around in circles trying to find a way to the bottom of this ice canyon and I think I am just stupid. I could really use help. :v:

IIRC there's a place where you have to use a Fire Field Skill to knock down some Ice Pillars to create a bridge.