Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blaziken386 posted:

im currently replaying Xenoblade 2 and i forgot that they also did this. MonolithSoft you made a great adjustable difficulty slider, why can't I actually use it. It especially annoyed me that they did that in 3, because it's really easy to overlevel if you overkill things in chain attacks. Like, yes, I know that I can turn off the ability to overkill things, but then I don't get the dopamine hit from seeing Big Numbers.

If you’re doing NG+ in XC2 you can level down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you’re doing NG+ in XC2 you can level down.
if im doing NG+ in xc2 my blades are all at trust level S and have the core chips that I spent ages farming and am not particularly keen on trading for vendor trash, and I can sneeze on the final boss at level 1 and kill it

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

GateOfD posted:

oh god, adult Rex is soo battle hardened and takes no poo poo
damnnn @ when he gave that verbal smack on Glimmer. This Rex has seen some poo poo

His chain attack order line "come on, you know you wanna" made me lol. That's how we got to the reveal in 3's ending

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Finished exploring Erythia Sea and stumbled across the amazing hero T Triton. How on earth did Z ever let this dude into Moebius? After Joran, I just assumed joining Moebius rewrote people into entertainment starved hedonists.

Spent a couple hours after just teleporting to named tombstones to get more skills and abilities. Just one class left to unlock and then many many ascension quests to go.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 21, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kyoujin posted:

Finished exploring Erythia Sea and stumbled across the amazing hero T Triton. How on earth did Z ever let this dude into Moebius? After Joran, I just assumed joining Moebius rewrote people into entertainment starved hedonists.

Spent a couple hours after just teleporting to named tombstones to get more skills and abilities. Just one class left to unlock and then many many ascension quests to go.

I always assumed Triton was far more of a monster millennia ago.

Fair warning, that hero doesn't actually have the signature class passive, you need one of the kids either in the class or equipping the skill for it to work.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omobono posted:

I always assumed Triton was far more of a monster millennia ago.

Given that (late Xenoblade 3 spoilers) Crys is also made into a Moebius (despite seemingly never becoming a bad person), I get the impression that Z just doesn't give much of a poo poo. Worst case scenario, he can simply wipe everything out like he tries to do at the end of the game and start over.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Given that (late Xenoblade 3 spoilers) Crys is also made into a Moebius (despite seemingly never becoming a bad person), I get the impression that Z just doesn't give much of a poo poo. Worst case scenario, he can simply wipe everything out like he tries to do at the end of the game and start over.

i think that there's a character in the game who implies that you can be made mobius against your will

it wouldn't surprise me if Triton was like M and just didn't really want to be there at all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

turn off the TV posted:

i think that there's a character in the game who implies that you can be made mobius against your will

it wouldn't surprise me if Triton was like M and just didn't really want to be there at all

I think he got an offer to be able to keep adventuring and getting into cool fights so he took it, personally

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IcePhoenix posted:

I think he got an offer to be able to keep adventuring and getting into cool fights so he took it, personally

AFAIK that's specifically why he became a Mobius, and for whatever reason Z just let him keep his powers and colony when he tried to destroy his colony's flame clock

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yes, I did learn the hard way that the hero doesn't count for gaining soulhacker abilities so I'll have to redo a handful of difficult named.

As far as Moebius goes, I assumed M was an exception since Z had been trying to recruit Noah across many reincarnations. It makes more sense that Z just doesn't care much about most of the filler Moebius.

I do wonder about the selection process: was Joran already Moebius or did he only become a candidate after his friends became Ouroboros?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
One of the worst things in Xenoblade 3 is giving you one of the coolest heroes (Triton) but making their class garbage when they themselves are using it so you basically never have them in your party unless you are doing quests that require them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He has a topple so he is A-ok with me.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Na'el's dub VA is rough...

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I thought she was really good, especially during the emotional scenes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

eh, got to the part in the flashback where she finds the kids she's looking after and breaks down, her arhghahgh is so bad, i started laughing. anytime she has to show any kind of emotion that needs to raise her voice a pitch higher, its very screechy

got to ch4, so much stuff on the map to collect and do ahhh

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I thought she was really good, especially during the emotional scenes.

She sounds like an actual person which is neat for an anime game.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

She sounds like an actual person which is neat for an anime game.
Yeah the highest pitched female voice is Sena as far as I can remember and she's great. I like how, even though the games are anime as gently caress, Xenoblade characters sound like humans and not high pitched anime caricatures.

I lost all interest in the new spike chunsoft mystery game after watching the trailer and encountering the squeakiest voice.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

took a few tries on the battle in F-Redeemed when Glimmer and guy dueled Rex and Shulk, since I didn't use any upgrade mats on them at all, and I threw everything to max out Rex and Shulk right away. No idea if the battle had them buffed or not, but I certainly cut it really close with Glimmer and him still at base unlocks

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

With the notable exception of Ino. Fukken Tora.

Manana is fairly high pitched too IIRC, at least in the English dub. Then again Nopon, the fuzzballs have raised 'being underestimated' into an art form.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Omobono posted:

With the notable exception of Ino. Fukken Tora.

Manana is fairly high pitched too IIRC, at least in the English dub. Then again Nopon, the fuzzballs have raised 'being underestimated' into an art form.
Yeah nopon at their best when they defy stereotypical anime mascot cuteness See Riki being a middle aged father of 9 and Riku calling "core hours" workplace bullshit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manana is good.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
JP Riku is incredibly jarring and ill-fitting after so many hours of EN Riku.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Manoueverable posted:

JP Riku is incredibly jarring and ill-fitting after so many hours of EN Riku.

same but JP Sena

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My Xenoblade Chronicles soundtrack set arrived today! Finally! I was starting to get a little worried.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Does Xenoblade X have anything to do with the 3 games or is it just some random unrelated entry

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GateOfD posted:

Does Xenoblade X have anything to do with the 3 games or is it just some random unrelated entry

it depends on whether or not you think the writers are going to retcon the entire setting and story of X because of a 10 second reference in future redeemed

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GateOfD posted:

Depends on how much stock you put into some bits of Future Redeemed. It's definitely not in the way that one, two, and three are connected, until they release Xenoblade X Complete next year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenogears, Blade, and Saga are all connected but the exact details are kind of mushy. X is some form of canon but it might involve multiverses. If we ever get an X remaster it'll probably solidify it.

Gears and Saga get to sit in the 'we can't do a ton because we need permission' which is why Namco Bandai gets thanked every time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GateOfD posted:

It has Nopon?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oh, and some unused concepts from Xenoblade X got incorporated into 2 and 3, so it's possible they're laying groundwork to tie them together in the future, it's probably more likely they just thought the stuff was too cool to not use in some way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically probably the simplest explanation for the Xeno games is that they're effectively some kind of infinite time loop of constant fuckups.

The roughest explanation is that there is a 'higher dimension' of basically gods. Somehow or another one got trapped in a big ol' artifact called the Zohar. Humanity discovers Zohar in Africa sometime in the 2000s. Humanity, being real loving stupid, experiment with it and destroy Earth and humanity has to evacuate to the stars or otherwise get off planet. A bunch of crazy poo poo happens in the stars and at some point things get reset and happen again but in a different way. (Something Xenosaga flat-out says happened multiple times.)

If you try to shoehorn everything together then it probably goes Xenoblade1-3 -> universe reset -> Xenoblade X -> universe reset -> Xenosaga -> universe reset prevented -> somehow humanity decides it'd be a great idea to take your source of infinite energy and tie it to a biological war machine -> Whoops -> Xenogears happens -> The Zohar is finally freed at the end of Xenoblade which theoretically means all that poo poo is resolved but Earth is still Somewhere Out There and probably has stupid poo poo going on.

Pretty much all the big McGuffins in the series are implied to be tied to Zohar in some fashion. (They even retconned Alvis into being more connected to one.) Likewise there are specific people who end up connected to Zohar and in doing so end up in an eternal cycle of reincarnation, which is usually the protagonists and inexplicably a dude named Vandham who keeps showing up, usually with some kind of x-shaped mark on his face.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 26, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

Unironically probably the simplest explanation for the Xeno games is that they're effectively some kind of infinite time loop of constant fuckups.

The roughest explanation is that there is a 'higher dimension' of basically gods. Somehow or another one got trapped in a big ol' artifact called the Zohar. Humanity discovers Zohar in Africa sometime in the 2000s. Humanity, being real loving stupid, experiment with it and destroy Earth and humanity has to evacuate to the stars or otherwise get off planet. A bunch of crazy poo poo happens in the stars and at some point things get reset and happen again but in a different way. (Something Xenosaga flat-out says happened multiple times.)

If you try to shoehorn everything together then it probably goes Xenoblade1-3 -> universe reset -> Xenoblade X -> universe reset -> Xenosaga -> universe reset prevented -> somehow humanity decides it'd be a great idea to take your source of infinite energy and tie it to a biological war machine -> Whoops -> Xenogears happens -> The Zohar is finally freed at the end of Xenoblade which theoretically means all that poo poo is resolved but Earth is still Somewhere Out There and probably has stupid poo poo going on.

i think the simplest explanation is that they're completely unconnected actually

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

i think the simplest explanation is that they're completely unconnected actually

I mean they directly reference each other so no, that actually makes less sense.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

I mean they directly reference each other so no, that actually makes less sense.

I don't think that there being a character named Colonol Vandham in X or Lin having Monado hair clips means that there's a greater Xeno series multiverse any more than the references in FR do.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The final boss of Xenogears is Ouroboros. This series is the Kingdom Hearts of Evangelions. I do not believe anything is just a reference.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Compare the first enemies you see in XBCX to the last enemies you fight in XBC3 :tinfoil:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

GateOfD posted:

One prominent character from X appears in 2 as one of the bosses in the Nopon Sage's challenge mode.

I don't think that counts, however.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Nopon Archsage is, I assume, a demiurge at least one or two tier higher on the scale than Zanza, if he wants to pull cameo appearances in from other universes that's his choice and it means nothing beyond he really wanted Elma and Rex to meet.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

spent a bunch of time clearing up a bunch of collectables. in Future Redeemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Finally got to Chapter 7 and kind of amazed at how much late-game content there is for basically every character. I knew the main crew had ascension quests but didn't realize most (all?) of the heroes do too, and it's all pretty good. Really liked all the City politics stuff.

Only thing I am still begging for is the ability to skip through chain attacks. I know it'll never get patched in though