Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Noah & Mio amiibo are a set, they’re $39.99 and are going up for preorder… well they already sold out at Best Buy so check other retailers if you want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Noah & Mio amiibo are a set, they’re $39.99 and are going up for preorder… well they already sold out at Best Buy so check other retailers if you want them.

They unlock M and Ns costumes for Noah and Mio. Along with jackless outfits for the entire party.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

roomtwofifteen posted:

Only thing I am still begging for is the ability to skip through chain attacks. I know it'll never get patched in though

It won't, and that's the right call because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDd6PFIhHeo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Imagine that I just posted 10 long paragraphs about how the Nopon Archsage's existence was actually heavily foreshadowed all the way back in Xenogears

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think that there being a character named Colonol Vandham in X or Lin having Monado hair clips means that there's a greater Xeno series multiverse any more than the references in FR do.

What do you think the moving blue dot was?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

drat I thought the preorder was going to be later, not immediately

I guess I can file these next to the empty space of never being able to get the mythra/prya ones as well

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

same.
my gamestop just has the same peach amiibo ones forever

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Reik posted:

I personally think it is Rex and Mythra's daughter/son and they will be the villain of the next game. Blue matches the color Rex is associated with.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Reik posted:

A ask Rex to send Lanz something a little Meatier, and he heard "Meteor" and well,

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reik posted:

It's a reference.

Nintendo owns the Xenoblade IP and it owns Monolith Soft. They're a major first party support studio and Xenoblade has turned into one of Nintendo's major first party IPs. I am pretty sure that Nintendo of all corporations will absolutely never hitch the future of Xenoblade onto an IP owned by Bandai Namco.

I don't even know why people are insisting that it's KOS-MOS, either, because she was already in Xenoblade 2. If that doesn't count because it's just a cameo appearance then why does a reference in 3 suddenly matter?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

turn off the TV posted:

I don't even know why people are insisting that it's KOS-MOS, either, because she was already in Xenoblade 2. If that doesn't count because it's just a cameo appearance then why does a reference in 3 suddenly matter?

All Blades are equally canon. KOS-MOS and T-Elos included.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Takoluka posted:

The final boss of Xenogears is Ouroboros. This series is the Kingdom Hearts of Evangelions. I do not believe anything is just a reference.
i hate this, and yet, i cannot deny its truth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"It's just a reference" kind of starts falling apart when the references become a fixture of the series or become directly involved in the plot. KOS-MOS showing up is a cameo. Direct references to Xenosaga which include credits to Namco-Bandai happening during the actual plot are kind of harder to just shuffle off. Obviously being spread across three different publishers means we're not going to ever get the hyper mega crossover of all time but even Xenogears was intended to be part of a whole (thus the whole Star Wars style "Episode" thing.)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

It's a reference.

Nintendo owns the Xenoblade IP and it owns Monolith Soft. They're a major first party support studio and Xenoblade has turned into one of Nintendo's major first party IPs. I am pretty sure that Nintendo of all corporations will absolutely never hitch the future of Xenoblade onto an IP owned by Bandai Namco.

Because the last time we see KOS-MOS she's floating in space towards earth which was previously lost/missing and the last thing we see in future redeemed is the two planets that used to be earth coming back together and reforming it.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 20, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

"It's just a reference" kind of starts falling apart when the references become a fixture of the series or become directly involved in the plot. KOS-MOS showing up is a cameo. Direct references to Xenosaga which include credits to Namco-Bandai happening during the actual plot are kind of harder to just shuffle off. Obviously being spread across three different publishers means we're not going to ever get the hyper mega crossover of all time but even Xenogears was intended to be part of a whole (thus the whole Star Wars style "Episode" thing.)

a single mention and line of dialogue from guy who died 1000 years ago in a flashback having the same name as an unrelated xenosaga character is actually very easy to shrug off. it's even paired with some name drops for X things that also don't line up at all with Xenoblade X's story or setting.

Reik posted:

Because the last time we see KOS-MOS she's floating in space towards earth which was previously lost/missing and the last thing we see in future redeemed is the two planets that used to be earth coming back together and reforming it.

the last time you see KOS-MOS is in KOS-MOS's blade quest in Xenoblade 2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Takahashi has been trying to tell the same story his entire career. Now he has the studio, clout and free reign to tell his story, it's the smallest stretch of all time to assume he's going to tie his story all together as much as he legally can to finally deliver it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

a single mention and line of dialogue from guy who died 1000 years ago in a flashback having the same name as an unrelated xenosaga character is actually very easy to shrug off. it's even paired with some name drops for X things that also don't line up at all with Xenoblade X's story or setting.

The KOS-MOS you see in Xenoblade 2 looks like the original version 1 of KOS-MOS, not the version you see in Xenosaga 3.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Takahashi has been trying to tell the same story his entire career. Now he has the studio, clout and free reign to tell his story, it's the smallest stretch of all time to assume he's going to tie his story all together as much as he legally can to finally deliver it.

They have no free reign, Nintendo owns Monolith Soft and decides what they make. Monolith have, apparently, would like to make something that isn't Xenoblade and have been told no for over 10 years now. The closest they are going to get is introducing their own Legally Distinct Not-Xenosaga or Bamco selling the IP, and I doubt Nintendo wants a flagship first party Switch 2 title a sequel to a 22 year old PS2 game.

The closest that I can think of to what people think is happening are the Mario Rabbids games and those are very, very clearly spinoff titles in a series that doesn't really have any actual canon or overarching story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

"Here are a giant shitload of direct references to the other Xeno games" is pretty blunt.

As far as KOS-MOS in Xenoblade 2 goes you don't actually want to get into the insane convoluted way her cameos work because they are all technically canon to everything except maybe Xenosaga itself.

turn off the TV posted:

They have no free reign, Nintendo owns Monolith Soft and decides what they make. Monolith have, apparently, would like to make something that isn't Xenoblade and have been told no for over 10 years now. The closest they are going to get is introducing their own Legally Distinct Not-Xenosaga or Bamco selling the IP, and I doubt Nintendo wants a flagship first party Switch 2 title a sequel to a 22 year old PS2 game.

The closest that I can think of to what people think is happening are the Mario Rabbids games and those are very, very clearly spinoff titles in a series that doesn't really have any actual canon or overarching story.

They literally have been using the Zohar which is from fuckin' Xenogears. Like it's named "Zohar" in the game files and everything.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

"Here are a giant shitload of direct references to the other Xeno games" is pretty blunt.

As far as KOS-MOS in Xenoblade 2 goes you don't actually want to get into the insane convoluted way her cameos work because they are all technically canon to everything except maybe Xenosaga itself.

They literally have been using the Zohar which is from fuckin' Xenogears. Like it's named "Zohar" in the game files and everything.

A character with the same name as one from Xenosaga despite being a different person and a spaceship named after the one in X despite being a different kind of ship are not what I would consider to be direct references. Like the ship in X is called the White Whale and despite that I do not believe that it's part of the Moby Dick Cinematic Universe.

And I don't see how it matters that it's called the Zohar in the game files because in actual practice it is a legally distinct version of it and there is no way that that is going to change. Monolith aren't the ones who get to make that decision.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The creators definitely think this all takes place in one universe, even if they can't legally say so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

A character with the same name as one from Xenosaga despite being a different person and a spaceship named after the one in X despite being a different kind of ship are not what I would consider to be direct references. Like the ship in X is called the White Whale and despite that I do not believe that it's part of the Moby Dick Cinematic Universe.

And I don't see how it matters that it's called the Zohar in the game files because in actual practice it is a legally distinct version of it and there is no way that that is going to change. Monolith aren't the ones who get to make that decision.

Part of the problem with your argument here is that you're ignoring this isn't even the first time this has happened in the Xeno series. Xenogears and Xenosaga were incredibly bluntly meant to tie in to one another despite having different publishers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the way it was always meant to be told: sitting on a chair in front of a giant swaying crucifix

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

Part of the problem with your argument here is that you're ignoring this isn't even the first time this has happened in the Xeno series. Xenogears and Xenosaga were incredibly bluntly meant to tie in to one another despite having different publishers.

I am not ignoring that, I just don't think that's really comparable to their current situation. Nintendo isn't Square or Namco. I can't think of any other major game publisher/developer that is remotely as protective and insulative of its IPs as they are. They're fine with cameo appearances in titles on their own hardware but that's pretty much as far as they've gone in almost 30 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I am not ignoring that, I just don't think that's really comparable to their current situation. Nintendo isn't Square or Namco. I can't think of any other major game publisher/developer that is remotely as protective and insulative of its IPs as they are. They're fine with cameo appearances in titles on their own hardware but that's pretty much as far as they've gone in almost 30 years.

I am genuinely confused what you mean by this?

Presumably any future Xeno- title is going to be on Nintendo's hardware. Why wouldn't it be? Monolith is being used by Nintendo for fuckin' everything, no way they're letting them go anytime soon.

If you are trying to say "Nintendo doesn't like crossing over with other companies" then Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is right there and contains Steve from Minecraft and KOS-MOS was already in Xenoblade 2! Nintendo let Monolith use Nintendo characters for crossovers in Project X-Zone. As long as it is on a Nintendo system they tend to be pretty permissive. Look at Bayonetta getting to wear Nintendo outfits or Zelda stuff in Skyrim.

Hell you bring up Square as being more permissive which is weird because Square is so unpermissive that they didn't allow Nintendo to use Geno outside of Super Mario RPG, including requiring a copyright (ala N-B and Xenosaga) for him appearing in Superstar Saga which they removed in the remake anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 20, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

I am genuinely confused what you mean by this?

Presumably any future Xeno- title is going to be on Nintendo's hardware. Why wouldn't it be? Monolith is being used by Nintendo for fuckin' everything, no way they're letting them go anytime soon.

If you are trying to say "Nintendo doesn't like crossing over with other companies" then Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is right there and contains Steve from Minecraft and KOS-MOS was already in Xenoblade 2! Nintendo let Monolith use Nintendo characters for crossovers in Project X-Zone. As long as it is on a Nintendo system they tend to be pretty permissive. Look at Bayonetta getting to wear Nintendo outfits or Zelda stuff in Skyrim.

Hell you bring up Square as being more permissive which is weird because Square is so unpermissive that they didn't allow Nintendo to use Geno outside of Super Mario RPG, including requiring a copyright (ala N-B and Xenosaga) for him appearing in Superstar Saga which they removed in the remake anyway.

There is a difference between "you can play as Solid Snake in Smash Bros" and "The new Xenoblade game is the sequel to Xenosaga and Bandai Namco has to OK everything we do with the IP from now on." If Konami wanted 90% of the profits of Smash Mega Ultimate or whatever Nintendo could just tell them to get hosed and not put Snake in Mega Ultimate. If Bamco wanted 90% of the profits for Xenoblade 5: Xenosaga Episode 5 or whatever then it's a lot harder to just be like "ok well I guess we'll just not include anything from Xenosaga in our Xenosaga direct sequel."

And Square is 100% more permissive. There are four Kingdom Hearts games at this point

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 20, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

There is a difference between "you can play as Solid Snake in Smash Bros" and "The new Xenoblade game is the sequel to Xenosaga and Bandai Namco has to OK everything we do with IP from now on."

And Square is 100% more permissive. There are four Kingdom Hearts games at this point

It wouldn't be 'everything they do with the IP" or else Xenoblade would already be there because Namco-Bandai was credited on XB2 and XB3. And that's even assuming it would be a direct no-questions sequel and not the same oblique references they have been doing since Xenosaga. Again, Monolith has done this already. The Namco-Bandai franchise Project X Zone has Nintendo characters in it.

.. also Square-Enix makes Kingdom Hearts. They're not the ones who have to be permissive there. Disney is and Disney is in fact extremely controlling and restrictive about the franchise to the point not even Square-Enix has control over how they use the various Disney worlds in game. (This is part of the reason the Frozen world in KH3 sucks.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 20, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
This is all going to be moot when they announce Xenosaga remasters at the next Direct.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ImpAtom posted:

It wouldn't be 'everything they do with the IP" or else Xenoblade would already be there because Namco-Bandai was credited on XB2 and XB3. And that's even assuming it would be a direct no-questions sequel and not the same oblique references they have been doing since Xenosaga. Again, Monolith has done this already. The Namco-Bandai franchise Project X Zone has Nintendo characters in it.

.. also Square-Enix makes Kingdom Hearts. They're not the ones who have to be permissive there. Disney is and Disney is in fact extremely controlling and restrictive about the franchise to the point not even Square-Enix has control over how they use the various Disney worlds in game. (This is part of the reason the Frozen world in KH3 sucks.)

There is a difference between KOS-MOS having a cameo appearance in Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade 4 being Xenosaga Episode 4 and inextricably tied to Bandai Namco's IP.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
As far as I am aware nobody was saying the next game is gonna be Xenosaga 4, they were saying the previous 3 xeno series were all tied together. That's why Takahashi sent out a letter about finally being able to tell a complete story when Xenoblade 3 came out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're all in a single continuity probably but doubt there will ever be a game all about how the xenoverse fits together. Not because of ip issues or whatever but because it would be lame.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A Xenoverse means we get Goku.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Okay so I'm 100 hours into this game and I think I just learned how fusion arts work? I thought all this time it just does both arts at once using one animation. But I saw a reddit post that says it combines the effects, so, for example, if you use a strong single target art fused with an AOE art, It doesn't just do both arts simultaneously, but it also makes the strong single target attack turn into a strong AoE attack? Is that correct?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't think AoE transfers to the non-AoE half of a fusion art.

Fusion arts:
  • the animation is that of the right side art;
  • the master art becomes those little orbs;
  • evade applies to the fusion art, meaning you can assign an evasion art with a short animation as a master art to a non-evade art with a long animation and get long evades;
  • positional or situational effects (e.g. anti-flier) only apply to their half of the art;
  • break/topple/launch/daze only applies to the hits of its original art. I think it's relevant only for break and topple since once something is toppled everything hits;
  • DoT effects (bleed, burn & co) and smash/burst damage deal a fixed fraction of the damage dealt by their originating art; they see all the damage dealt by a fusion art for this calculation; smash damage innately has a small AoE IIRC;
  • I have no idea what happens if a single target DoT is fused with an AoE attack;
  • I don't know what happens if you have a bleed/bleed fusion art (I think both bleeds try to proc and if both do they stack);
  • smash/smash or burst/burst is impossible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Omobono posted:

I don't think AoE transfers to the non-AoE half of a fusion art.

Fusion arts:
  • the animation is that of the right side art;
  • the master art becomes those little orbs;
  • evade applies to the fusion art, meaning you can assign an evasion art with a short animation as a master art to a non-evade art with a long animation and get long evades;
  • positional or situational effects (e.g. anti-flier) only apply to their half of the art;
  • break/topple/launch/daze only applies to the hits of its original art. I think it's relevant only for break and topple since once something is toppled everything hits;
  • DoT effects (bleed, burn & co) and smash/burst damage deal a fixed fraction of the damage dealt by their originating art; they see all the damage dealt by a fusion art for this calculation; smash damage innately has a small AoE IIRC;
  • I have no idea what happens if a single target DoT is fused with an AoE attack;
  • I don't know what happens if you have a bleed/bleed fusion art (I think both bleeds try to proc and if both do they stack);
  • smash/smash or burst/burst is impossible.

Thank you for the explainer! I love how dense and confusing this series' systems are lol

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keep in mind I might be wrong and fusing into an AoE actually makes the whole thing AoE. Some effects transfer to the fusion, some effects stay only on their original half, it's a loving mess and hard to parse on the fly.

Youtuber Enel has a lot of guides about all Xenoblade games, here's the basic spoiler-free for XB3: https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjuaYOXgOP2I (through Polsy because no loving way recommended videos won't have spoilers)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thank you!

Also I forgot (or never internalized) that skills and arts upgrade as you level classes, guess I should have had folks start specializing instead of what I've been doing (rotating everyone through every class to level 10)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tender Bender posted:

Thank you!

Also I forgot (or never internalized) that skills and arts upgrade as you level classes, guess I should have had folks start specializing instead of what I've been doing (rotating everyone through every class to level 10)

Switching classes a lot is what you want to be doing because master skills are very good, and because of how those skills are distributed you can't really specialize in just one thing. Thaumaturge and Tactician have some of the best attacker skills and both are healers, as an example.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

Switching classes a lot is what you want to be doing because master skills are very good, and because of how those skills are distributed you can't really specialize in just one thing. Thaumaturge and Tactician have some of the best attacker skills and both are healers, as an example.

Oh yeah for sure, I just mean that I should keep leveling the classes that I tend to borrow skills and arts from because even the level 5-10 skill/arts will keep getting stronger when you rank up those classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Well I picked this game up after a year off, and instead of rushing the last chapter I just spent twenty hours doing every single ascension quest. Gonna go to Origin next!

I'm going to get the DLC because apparently Future Redeemed is very good, but I'm not buying it until after I beat the game because I don't need any more heroes and loving ascension quests :v: