Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Hi guys it's me, the person that hasn't finished Xenoblade 2 yet even though i've been working on it for 2 years. I am in Chapter 6. The quest log says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruin and then from there I see on the compass to go downwards, but I have no idea where or the general direction to go as you're leaving Theospiti Temple Ruin. I have been going around in circles trying to find a way to the bottom of this ice canyon and I think I am just stupid. I could really use help. :v:
video walkthroughs exist for exactly this situation, my friend. You don't need to wait for someone to badly dictate the directions to you over text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The kiddie genius girl from XCX came across as uncomfortably psychotic. I think they were going for chipper and jokey but her face is super creepy and she goes on and on and on about the best joke in the whole universe.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I said come in! posted:

Hi guys it's me, the person that hasn't finished Xenoblade 2 yet even though i've been working on it for 2 years. I am in Chapter 6. The quest log says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruin and then from there I see on the compass to go downwards, but I have no idea where or the general direction to go as you're leaving Theospiti Temple Ruin. I have been going around in circles trying to find a way to the bottom of this ice canyon and I think I am just stupid. I could really use help. :v:

Just check a walkthrough for that part, I got stuck there for a while too. The compass in XC2 is infuriatingly useless when there's any kind of complex terrain around.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Amppelix posted:

video walkthroughs exist for exactly this situation, my friend. You don't need to wait for someone to badly dictate the directions to you over text.

this. the Map system in XC2 is loving abhorrent, I got lost so many times due to the compass being completely unclear about elevations and where the hell you were supposed to go.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nathilus posted:

The kiddie genius girl from XCX came across as uncomfortably psychotic. I think they were going for chipper and jokey but her face is super creepy and she goes on and on and on about the best joke in the whole universe.

Actually Lin is cool and has Monado earrings which rules.

But she’s also bffs with Tatsu so maybe she does suck.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

The only good thing Tatsu ever did was the Follow Ball, which was a genuinely wonderful toy that should have stayed with us for all future Xeno games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's somebody who needs the follow ball at this very moment

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TurnipFritter posted:

IIRC there's a place where you have to use a Fire Field Skill to knock down some Ice Pillars to create a bridge.

Also, if you encounter enemies that are far higher level than you, that's the wrong way.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Terper posted:

So all you people who are picking the game up again are you planning on doing FC or the main game first? I've been going back and forth and honestly I think I remember enough of the story for me to immediately jump in. Helps that that means less time having to dodge spoilers.

I'd rather just go in order and do FC last. It's been a while since I played the original, and I want to see how the changes affect how the game feels. I'm particularly interested in expert mode because pretty much the only major issue I had with the original Xenoblade was that it was relatively easy to overlevel if you did a bunch of sidequests even if they were low level.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oberndorf posted:

The only good thing Tatsu ever did was the Follow Ball, which was a genuinely wonderful toy that should have stayed with us for all future Xeno games.

I was definitely missing this and the super sprint playing Xenoblade 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was definitely missing this and the super sprint playing Xenoblade 2.

Yeah, just running around in X was so fun. Leap over small buildings, run super fast, don't take fall damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chumbler posted:

Yeah, just running around in X was so fun. Leap over small buildings, run super fast, don't take fall damage.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of me swimming for 45 minutes to reach the final area of the game. :v:

I really liked exploring in XCX and the first time you manage to find map geometry to let you climb a cliff or some other super huge thing that you probably shouldn't be climbing yet is awesome.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

chumbler posted:

Going to be honest here. Every single time I pressed that jump in X I thought of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n42PunZ3Xno&t=58s

edit: looking back on how X did geography in regards to exploration, it does become pretty apparent that Mira was basically proto-botw Hyrule

Sam Faust fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 18, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For my money the first 30 hours of XCX are one of the best open world games ever made, because they built the environments to eventually be traversed by Skells crossing them on foot genuinely gives a sense of scale and grandeur you don't usually get from videogame levels. It's just a shame eventually you do gotta get the Skells and everyone that made exploring the world so thrilling just slowly falls away.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i never bothered to try the follow ball because i didn't think they were capable of making a decent pathfinder

was it actually good

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

U-DO Burger posted:

i never bothered to try the follow ball because i didn't think they were capable of making a decent pathfinder

was it actually good

If there was a ground route it was perfect.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

U-DO Burger posted:

was it actually good

I remember I used it one time and it sent me half way around the continent because it didn't understand that you can just jump down cliffs.

I wonder if it was useful for the stealth missions? Like that one mandatory one you where you have to sneak past all the turrets that will instantly vaporize you if you get in their range?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hated that there wasn’t fall damage in XCX. I get that it was because of Skells and ejecting but I thought it cheapened the exploration when you could just jump down places. Whereas XC and XC2 had a lot of tightly designed areas where you saw areas below you but always had to find safe routes down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The fun one in Xenoblade Chronicles is when you're being chased by something twice your level so you jump off a cliff into the river far below.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

YggiDee posted:

The fun one in Xenoblade Chronicles is when you're being chased by something twice your level so you jump off a cliff into the river far below.

Or, if you can sleep the enemy, you put them to sleep at the edge of the cliff then knock them off which nets you a shitload of xp (and maybe some high lvl drops) since the fall kills them. :eng101:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or, if you can sleep the enemy, you put them to sleep at the edge of the cliff then knock them off which nets you a shitload of xp (and maybe some high lvl drops) since the fall kills them. :eng101:
further cementing Melia as best girl is her effectiveness in kicking gogols off cliffs

I'm thinking I'll do a full runthrough before FC. I'm also predicting that it's going to tie hard into the XC2 retcon and I did not like the retcon so I'm worried that I'm gonna dislike FC a bunch! But hopefully I will be dumb and wrong and it will be cool and good. Either way I am looking forward to spending another 80+ hours on Xenoblade yet again :getin:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm really not looking forward to seeing those giant surprise spiders in HD though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Every time I play this, I think 'I should use Shulk this time' but the moment Riki and Melia show up he gets benched again. Sorry Shulk.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Use Shulk when fighting Mechon but bench him otherwise. I spent probably 75% of my last playthrough using Melia.

I don’t particularly like using Riki, I get that his gimmick is to do continuous damage with Burn/Freeze/Poison all at once but eh he can kinda fill a bunch of roles but doesn’t seem to excel at any of them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Use Shulk when fighting Mechon but bench him otherwise. I spent probably 75% of my last playthrough using Melia.

I don’t particularly like using Riki, I get that his gimmick is to do continuous damage with Burn/Freeze/Poison all at once but eh he can kinda fill a bunch of roles but doesn’t seem to excel at any of them.

On the other hand, tagging a boss with one of his DoTs as fifth attack in a chain means said boss loses half their life in a few seconds.

And as he's a big Heropon, he can actually tank the resulting aggro until an actual tank grabs aggro back you build another chain attack for the other half of the life total.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On the other hand, Heropon Riki is the greatest and I'm going to dress him in the armour that makes him look like some sort of sea urchin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theshim posted:

further cementing Melia as best girl is her effectiveness in kicking gogols off cliffs

I'm thinking I'll do a full runthrough before FC. I'm also predicting that it's going to tie hard into the XC2 retcon and I did not like the retcon so I'm worried that I'm gonna dislike FC a bunch! But hopefully I will be dumb and wrong and it will be cool and good. Either way I am looking forward to spending another 80+ hours on Xenoblade yet again :getin:

It's not really a retcon (major ending spoilers) It's just the other side of a single whole story. Xenoblade Chronicles heavily hints that there's more to learn about than what you see at the end, because they only got ONE of the three satellite processors out of the accident in Alvis while everything else ~mysteriously disappeared~. XC2 deals with the other two in Pneuma and Malos, as well as the actual satellite station that caused the whole shitstorm. Though I'm kinda surprised they didn't aim high and only give us one of them so they could keep the third for XC3.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not really a retcon (major ending spoilers) It's just the other side of a single whole story. Xenoblade Chronicles heavily hints that there's more to learn about than what you see at the end, because they only got ONE of the three satellite processors out of the accident in Alvis while everything else ~mysteriously disappeared~. XC2 deals with the other two in Pneuma and Malos, as well as the actual satellite station that caused the whole shitstorm. Though I'm kinda surprised they didn't aim high and only give us one of them so they could keep the third for XC3.

I just revisited the cutscene from the end of XB1, and I'm fairly sure this isn't true (continued XB1 and 2 ending spoilers): In XB1, Alvis only identifies himself as "the administrative computer of a phase transition experiment facility," with no mention of two other computers; maybe the original Japanese is different, but the English use of "the" implies that he's the only one. In-universe, of course, Alvis can be misinformed, but I don't think there's anything in XB1 to imply the existence of Pneuma and Malos. It seems like a retcon to me, albeit a cool and good one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective Eyestorm posted:

I just revisited the cutscene from the end of XB1, and I'm fairly sure this isn't true (continued XB1 and 2 ending spoilers): In XB1, Alvis only identifies himself as "the administrative computer of a phase transition experiment facility," with no mention of two other computers; maybe the original Japanese is different, but the English use of "the" implies that he's the only one. In-universe, of course, Alvis can be misinformed, but I don't think there's anything in XB1 to imply the existence of Pneuma and Malos. It seems like a retcon to me, albeit a cool and good one.

Yeah, you're right :doh:. I must've been thinking of XC2 where it goes in-depth a bit more, I could've sworn Alvis brings up being one of three, but maybe I was thinking of Alvis being the one going bye-bye from their perspective.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

YggiDee posted:

On the other hand, Heropon Riki is the greatest and I'm going to dress him in the armour that makes him look like some sort of sea urchin.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

:yeshaha:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, you're right :doh:. I must've been thinking of XC2 where it goes in-depth a bit more, I could've sworn Alvis brings up being one of three, but maybe I was thinking of Alvis being the one going bye-bye from their perspective.
(More massive ending spoilers for 1 and 2) Yeah, Alvis never mentions anything about that. There's nothing whatsoever in XC1 about any other satellites or Klaus being anything but insanely ambitious and willing to sacrifice anything to get his way and elevate mankind to a new plane of existence. Any characterization of him as a good guy in any way, as well as there being a threat that he is acting in response to, is retconned in by XC2.

I really prefer XC1 as a standalone story rather than what XC2 retconned it into, but I understand plenty of people have a very different perspective on that, and that's okay! I'm just hoping that the game is going to be XC1 but better.

Also on party chat, I'd guess my playtime was around 40% Melia, 30% Dunban, 15% Shulk, 10% Reyn, 5% Seven. I didn't really play as Riki or Sharla, though I had Riki in my party an awful lot of the time (he does great work as a secondary healer) and Seven never really clicked for me. Also Big DPS Reyn is the best build and I will hear no ill of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seven is a loving blender and became an essential part of my team from the word go, though the ridiculous tempo of her attacks meant I had to be real wary of Spike auras

Reyn’s role in combat was split between Riki and Dunban so I never used him much, and of course Sharla got benched due to her lousy damage output

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Riki feel stupid, but anything eat Nopon in urchin armor feel pain in tum-tum and probably spit Nopon out. Cleverpon armor make bad creatures regret eating Nopon! :eng101:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Detective Eyestorm posted:

It seems like a retcon to me, albeit a cool and good one.

Definitely. The basic premise holds but we get more interesting details. The "oh poo poo it's Alvis" moment was fun to run into.

It's maybe better to think of the XC2 explanation of events as just an HD version of the situation, or maybe a more complete retelling of the events.

There's actually an original cutscene in XC2 that is told in a similarly "more complete narration," in the Torna expansion.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omobono posted:

On the other hand, tagging a boss with one of his DoTs as fifth attack in a chain means said boss loses half their life in a few seconds.

And as he's a big Heropon, he can actually tank the resulting aggro until an actual tank grabs aggro back you build another chain attack for the other half of the life total.

Maybe this will be the playthrough where I finally figure out chain attacks, because I’ve always found them too confusing. Same with XCX, I know there are some infinite overdrive builds but I just wasn’t able to do it.

Chain attacks in XC2 were simpler though and hitting max damage made you feel like the biggest badass so it was good.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The one QoL change I want for the remaster more than anything else is being able to turn off the music change when you change the future in battle. Having an awesome-as-hell battle theme replaced by Monado Reacts always felt lame

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Maybe this will be the playthrough where I finally figure out chain attacks, because I’ve always found them too confusing. Same with XCX, I know there are some infinite overdrive builds but I just wasn’t able to do it.

Chain attacks in XC2 were simpler though and hitting max damage made you feel like the biggest badass so it was good.

XB1 chains:

_You get the first three attacks for free, then the primary way to extend the chain is high affinity between current party members. there are other modifiers I'm forgetting about but whatever. The maximum chain length is 15.
_Party members cannot die during the chain (spike damage is still a thing, but it won't bring people below 1 HP).
_All arts have a color. Using arts of the same color in direct succession massively increases their effect. This caps at 5 and resets if you switch color.
_Talent arts (the bigger one in the middle) are a jolly. They count as all colors for the boost I just described, and they allow switching colors mid-chain without dropping the boost.
_Killing an enemy mid-chain refunds half a bar. Extremely relevant against any boss with summoned adds.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really liked how XC made each character feel very different with their own quirks. Melia had her little orb system of spells which was pretty unique, Riki was a jack of all trades who was a secret tank, Reyn was sort of a tanker with some ridiculous burst damage and combo finishers, Dunban pretty much encourages you to NOT overequip him because he's a superfast glass cannon, Sharla is just a healbot but has some nice support from a distance. Everyone was fun to play with and nobody was annoying from a character standpoint.

multijoe posted:

For my money the first 30 hours of XCX are one of the best open world games ever made, because they built the environments to eventually be traversed by Skells crossing them on foot genuinely gives a sense of scale and grandeur you don't usually get from videogame levels. It's just a shame eventually you do gotta get the Skells and everyone that made exploring the world so thrilling just slowly falls away.

yeah XCX did do this really well and it was cool doing moonjumps to places all over. Getting Skells does put a dent in this but man it's just more evidence there was something cool rooted in all those ideas they through into a blender. Not surprising Monolith helped with BOTW because they absolutely made interesting worlds to explore across all 3 games. I wouldn't mind some of XCX's stuff in a new game in a similar setting maybe, especially if they bring back some of those cool weapons. It was just neat to have those FF7 sword, space rifles, big axes, poo poo like that. There was SO much you could play with so you had a reason to seek out fights and level up new tools