Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For as much flak as Sharla usually gets, she was a good wingman for Melia and I was right there rooting along. Long chain attacks that boost your health back up can make the healing feel deprecated, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's the intended way to use Dunban anyway? Just literally give him no armor? I admit it's been like a decade but I remember just not bothering and never putting him in the party.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's an Evasion tank.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So... yes then?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Countblanc posted:

So... yes then?

naked man too slippery to die

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

So... yes then?
No, being naked is a skill a ways down his tree and is mostly for fun. Put on a bunch of armor with a lot of gem slots and fill the man with Agility.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As i recall, rushing for that skill comes in handy as it gives way more evade than you could possibly come up with via gems before very very late into the game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

We’re discussing Dunban and nobody has posted

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE
AGAINST THE ODDS
WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT
BLOSSOM DANCE!

Anyway Dunban is great, definitely fun to control since he has a good variety of aggro-drawing moves and quick, strong attacks. He’s like Reverse Reyn.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Amppelix posted:

As i recall, rushing for that skill comes in handy as it gives way more evade than you could possibly come up with via gems before very very late into the game

The real key was linking one of Melia's skills that gave +20% to all stats of you didn't have any gems equipped.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm looking forward into putting well over 100 hours into this game trying to 100% everything again before burning out and not actually finishing the story (again) :v:

Also I really love the nostalgia of calling them "Seven." Brings back the memories from the thread ten years ago.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Dodgetank Dunban was the only way I was able to beat any of the superbosses (I think I only did one in the end) but it's :krad:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DLC Inc posted:

I really liked how XC made each character feel very different with their own quirks. Melia had her little orb system of spells which was pretty unique, Riki was a jack of all trades who was a secret tank, Reyn was sort of a tanker with some ridiculous burst damage and combo finishers, Dunban pretty much encourages you to NOT overequip him because he's a superfast glass cannon, Sharla is just a healbot but has some nice support from a distance. Everyone was fun to play with and nobody was annoying from a character standpoint.

I haven't played XC1 in a long while but I recall Dunban was less "glass cannon" and more "high damage evasion-based tank."

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dodge Tank Dunban is great but the silliest and therefore most fun tank build is getting Melia the ability to equip heavy armor from someone else's tree and then doing that two Art combo where she pokes the enemy with a stick then drop kicks them for an immediate Topple.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
I bought XC2 recently and enjoyed the hell out of it. I, as a supposedly grown-rear end adult with a job and responsibilities, managed to stick 80 hours into it over 14 days to complete the story and I've still been playing it to a lesser extent since.

There's little I didn't like about it, and most of that was based around menu navigation, the map, playing tetris with blades to do skill checks, and other non-gameplay type things.

Is XC1 a game I would like and should buy? I get the impression it would be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

arsegrit posted:

I bought XC2 recently and enjoyed the hell out of it. I, as a supposedly grown-rear end adult with a job and responsibilities, managed to stick 80 hours into it over 14 days to complete the story and I've still been playing it to a lesser extent since.

There's little I didn't like about it, and most of that was based around menu navigation, the map, playing tetris with blades to do skill checks, and other non-gameplay type things.

Yes, XC1 is a vastly superior game to XC2. I've grown to like XC2 but there are things about it that were really unecessary and poorly designed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

arsegrit posted:

If you loved XC2, you'll definitely enjoy XC1.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

arsegrit posted:

XC1 in a lot of ways is a simpler game but also less convoluted, more streamlined stuff you can enjoy, a better story, and more varied skillsets for each character.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Well that seems rather unanimous. Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

XC1 in a lot of ways is a simpler game but also less convoluted, more streamlined stuff you can enjoy, a better story, and more varied skillsets for each character.

XC1 really feels like a wholly-realized and complete project top-to-bottom. I love XC2, but you can tell just playing a ways in it got to like 90-95% done and had their guys retasked to BoTW when they should've been polishing the menus and the like. Some of it feels like just a functional first pass to test the menu coding works.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Yes, XC1 is a vastly superior game to XC2. I've grown to like XC2 but there are things about it that were really unecessary and poorly designed.
it's pretty disingenous to imply that there aren't a lot of things about 1 that are really unnecessary and poorly designed

hopefully some of them have been fixed in DE though!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They fixed a bunch of the problems in XC2 and added qol upgrades via patches but it didn’t fix everything. Like not being able to skip the core crystal animations, boy I wasted many hours watching those.

Edit: one of the big DE updates is fixing the menus I thought?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They fixed a bunch of the problems in XC2 and added qol upgrades via patches but it didn’t fix everything. Like not being able to skip the core crystal animations, boy I wasted many hours watching those.

Edit: one of the big DE updates is fixing the menus I thought?

An eventual update lets you skip that animation!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I said come in! posted:

An eventual update lets you skip that animation!

Sorry that’s what I meant, an update fixed that but I had already wasted many hours getting all the blades by then.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think the story is really any better in 1. Though structurally XB1 and 2 follow the exact same beats. So they basically accomplish the same thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The only real QoL fix for the core crystal system would be to remove it altogether, or at least move the unique Blade drop rates several decimal places to the left

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A lot of XC2 updates fixed stuff like animation waits and navigation but it took so long that I was mostly done by the time it happened. It feels like a finished game honestly but it still sucked that some Blades were far better than others and you could have a better or easier time depending on who you pulled.

I think one of my biggest dislikes in XC2 was restricting one of the characters(Tora) to just one Blade with lame abilities other than Tanking for more than half of the game, and only letting you get the third one for him through endless tedium much later. Worse still is you don't get access to a 4th member til much later so you're stuck with Tora for a long time. Reyn/Dunban/Riki were good and fun ways to approach an aggro character; Tora was somehow designed to be the least fun thing ever.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
XB2 is a game where basically every aspect of the game can be justifiably criticized, but I still ended up liking it even more than XB1 (which I liked a lot).

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sam Faust posted:

I still enjoy that the internet has pretty universally committed to the "Seven" alias.

It's honestly a really wholesome thing in a sea of... well, we all game. We know.

My only hopes for XC1 are that it reduces the grind at least a LITTLE bit. If I'm remembering, a lot of the extra skill trees were tied to affinity which required just doing bear-rear end collecting and other random inane stuff like fetching, etc. Also, affinity took foreeeeeeever as I remember it.

I still maintain my love for XCX, even if it's a crazy convoluted half-finished mess. I loved the music, and the exploration was brilliant. Honestly, XC2's greatest disappointment for me was that it didn't have the same level of world building and exploration XCX did. I was really hoping they'd expound upon that. Maybe for XC3. Or XCX2. Or whatever thing they're working on. Any word on that?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
My biggest gripe with XC2 is that Rex exists; he's such a vacuum of personality that Pyra and Mythra, already characters that are average at best, are made worse by their attachment to him.

The Zekenator saved the second half of that game for me, but I still never want to touch XC2 ever again.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nah hes fine

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
no

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like Rex better than Shulk honestly. Their characters are fairly close but Rex has a more interesting occupation and lot in life

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shulk's VA actually knew how to voice a shonen character, which definitely goes in his favour

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

multijoe posted:

The only real QoL fix for the core crystal system would be to remove it altogether, or at least move the unique Blade drop rates several decimal places to the left

Something I will say in fairness to XC2 is they clearly either had better design plans they never got to complete, or were just willing to actually take feedback on XC2, because a lot of Torna: The Golden Country's systems fix XC2's problems.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

multijoe posted:

Shulk's VA actually knew how to voice a shonen character, which definitely goes in his favour

Rex was fine outside the fact he screamed like he was in a library.

Which happens twice so it’s a bit overblown

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rex was good

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I will say in fairness to XC2 is they clearly either had better design plans they never got to complete, or were just willing to actually take feedback on XC2, because a lot of Torna: The Golden Country's systems fix XC2's problems.
Rex is good, but welsh catgirls are better.
Yeah, the sheer number of quality of life updates to the original plus torna kinda hints at the monolith soft team being overstretched by breath of the wild work or something.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

multijoe posted:

:emptyquote:

The gacha system (without an actual real money gacha attached so what's the loving point) is the only part of 2 that I would call horrible.

I'd speculate some suit pushed for microtransactions in 2 before some other suit got an attack of sanity.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the quests you had to do to get a couple of the rare blades were cool and I wonder if the plan was for that to be how you got a lot more of them but time constraints just threw them in the gacha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I genuinely loved the unique blades themselves for the personalities and contrasting artstyles.

Maybe if you had core crystals that only gave random generic blades and a 2nd type that gave out the rare blades but you could only get through sidequests and overworld/dungeon treasure chests the system would be more tolerable.
Like how you get specific rare blade crystals, but instead you randomly got one of the rare blades, with no chance for a generic blade.