Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Making a brand new game would probably take the same amount of time as making/finishing X into something worth rereleasing

People are getting absurdly hyperbolic here.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has an absolute shitload of content and its story peters off towards the end where they clearly were rushed for time, but it is by no means a half-finished game. At worst it's yet another case of an open world that is too big for its britches and which has a rushed/unsatisfying main story which basically sums up half the open world games on the market.

Even if they released a fully completed version with no delays it probably wasn't going to have everything people imagine in their head. It was a Wii U game and that came with massive limitations to begin with and even games designed for more powerful consoles struggle with the limitations of making and populating large worlds.

Had to gotten more time to be 'finished' it probably would have had more fleshing out of certain things and probably some better optimization but at the end of the day it still would have been largely the exact same game just with a story that finishes a bit better. The only way it really would have been significantly different is if it really had been MMO and honestly that poo poo wasn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Also, is there a decent guide for potential missable content worth checking out online? If I'm going to put 100 hours into this sucker, I want to get everything I can on the first go-round. :)

My friend if you are looking to do everything in Xenoblade Chronicles you will need a lot more than 100 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The UI improvements in this game are absolutely absurd. Sidequests are actually pretty fun to do now in a 'put on a podcast' way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

A sniper is basically exactly what a mage is when using a more futuristic vibe. A long range fighter that shouldn’t be in close combat

Like I don’t remember her having a close range move. All her stuff revolves around her magic gun

This is pretty silly because it amounts to "Well a sword is the same thing as a spear they're just close range weapons."

Despite being poorly designed her entire gimmick is based around her rifle being a rifle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It fires literally magic bullets like the game doesn’t try to pretend it’s just a regular gun. I believe they point it out when she is introduced

I guess it’s regular for the setting but that’s my whole point

It fires magic ether cartridges but her entire gimmick is based around the fact that she has a gun that overheats when used. The focus on it being an actual mechanical weapon is built into her mechanics which is what separates her from the actual magic-based spellcasters.

If you boil it down to its absolute barest essentials then yes she is "a person who uses magic to do things from a distance" but that ignores the fact that being that reductive makes every character basically the same. Flavor and style are important because at the end of the day you will boil a character down to "someone who fights close" "someone who fights long" "someone who does both."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Probably don’t look at the art book if you have never played through the game before. Some big spoilers about a certain character. Everyone who has played it knows what I’m talking about.

I mean at this point if you've played Smash Brothers (or project X Zone 2) you've had that spoiled already. It's not a huge secret.

(Though probably shouldn't be spoiled outside of spoiler tags here just in case.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay I forget. Is it okay to sell collectables/monster items you pick up after filling out the Collectapedia or are they needed for stuff

Some are needed for quests. You (sometimes) get a vision of the future letting you know. That said with the system changes it isn't super worth stressing out about since finding new items is a loooot less painful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

XC Definitive is my first exposure to the series after years and years of meaning to give it a try, but I never had a wii or a wiiu and 3ds just felt like a weird way to start a series known for its massive environments and huge scale.

I'm having a lot of fun so far, it feels a lot like a more active FFXII and I've been enjoying how important stuff like positioning and combo'ing bonus effects are. I'm also getting mulched by literally all of these unique monsters and that's unironically fun.

If I have one complaint so far I wish you could freely swap between characters in battle to set up those combos better, or at least make it something you could do on the fly outside of battle to make it feel a little more natural. That said maybe I just need to play more and learn to trust the AI. I assume it prioritizes stuff like topple and daze if it can?

Basically as far as the AI goes:

Character AI is never exactly great. They will *usually* prioritize toppling/dazing but not always. Shulk will always prioritize Enchant on Mechon enemies. Outside of that if you have any specific combos you need to do that is what Chain Attack is for. You build your combos to be used in Chain Attack and get the bonuses from that.

Certain characters absolutely suck unless they are player controlled. The sixth character you get is a giant example of this. If you are not controlling them they should not be in your party.

The AI is ''okay' at its job but will never be great and when you build your team you need to basically build around the idea that whoever you are controlling will do the heavy lifting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

The new quest system is so much better. I was able to do all the available Colony 6 quests before Tephra Cave in less than 3 hours.

Yeah it's hard to express how big a game changer Expert Mode + the new quest system is. It basically makes sidequests fun to do now especially because they do have neat plots you might have missed because you'll end up terminally underleveled or burned out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I hope the third time the rerelease this game they fix sharla.

Honestly I don't think they can fix Sharla. They wanted to have a healer character but pretty clearly realized that traditional healer characters didn't work well in the system. If they up her DPS she basically becomes mandatory. They'd need to rework her from scratch and even then her being a healer/medic is baked into her character concept in the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

Is it worth it to use Melia and Riki as soon as you get them before they get some more arts?

If you want to, yeah, they're absolutely fine just not at full power to start with. Riki in particular has a ton of the moves he'd already need right from the start.

Just make sure to control Melia if you want to use her. She is absolutely not a character to let be AI controlled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

As a new player to this game, I must say I really hate how Super Smash Ultimate spoils you the identity of Metal Face (and as whole what's the deal with the faced Mechons) with the dumb spiritboard gimmick. That was probably a neat reveal going blinded.

Honestly it's not intended to be *that* big a reveal. His Japanese voice actor in both human and Metal Face forms is one of the most recognizable voices actors to ever exist and he wields the exact same weapon. Players are absolutely expected to piece it together beforehand. Likewise Xord is namedropped in a sidequest as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You are misremembering then. People were advising against Sharla since the Wii days.

There is no issue with enjoying playing her but she is objectively badly designed as a character for the battle system which is why both sequels go in different directions for healing.

Her Talent Art is actively detrimental since it doesn't work with chain attacks. Her skill set is also bad for chain attacks and those are a huge bulk of your damage. Her personal DPS is so low that you end up taking longer and taking more damage.

Perhaps most damning is the fact that if you want a healer character Riki is better at it. Sharla can find her niche in a couple of specific boss fights but otherwise she actively works against your party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Cutscene skipping and dialogue mashing probably cuts like 30 hours at least. Massively overleveling everything after a point probably cuts a bit more and makes sidequests faster.

I assume they also have mapped out exactly which people can be traded with for hard to get items so there's a lot less randomness.

I wonder if it will be faster in DE to farm the Nopon Sage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

who cares about topple and daze when it's more important to just have 6 different red attacks to keep your multiplier up?

When you are fighting post-game bosses or fighting things above your level break and topple can vary between "extremely useful" to "literally gamebreaking."

Topple means your attacks can't miss which in turn is the biggest factor towards being able to take things above your level, especially with a physically focused party. If you chain topple together properly you can stunlock enemies which not only prevents them from attacking but also means your chain attacks are significantly more powerful. Considering Xenoblade's combat system is geared towards alpha strikes and damage output this is the best way to take on superbosses early.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I killed all those stupid idiots in like 2 chain combos so who cares. That's also like the last hour of 100 hours of gameplay

If you beat them all in two chain attacks without properly gearing your characters that would in fact be fairly impressive considering the actual specs of the superbosses.

You can absolutely put out insane damage output with a DoT party with a heavy chain attack and proper gems but if you've spent the time to spec your character then that's not really "just in two chain attacks" considering building your party is a major part of the game.

Xenoblade does suffer from the fact that the level range has a tremendous impact on how the game plays as being on-level or above-level makes it pretty trivial to step on things while being just a few levels behind makes fights punishing. It is why Expert Mode is generally considered a good thing because you can get your fights at a proper level instead of being way over or under leveled. It's also why the restricted Nopon challenges are fun because generally you have to know how best to use your characters to S-rank them especially since you can't just outgear/outlevel them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 16, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

What are the "right" gems for each dude? I gave dumban agility and melia ether. After that I just kinda winged it.

Also, is there any way of dealing w/ spikes other than shulks purge? ie: can you fight a spike monster w/out shulk?

It depends on a lot of factors.

Agility is never a bad thing for any physical character (i.e most of them) but it caps at 50 bonus agility which you'll hit pretty trivially.
Figuring out what your major source of damage is going to be and specing for that is important. Melia for example has amazing DoTs (with poison being the best of them all) so building for more poison duration isn't a bad thing. For Dunban it depends on if you want him to tank or do DPS (he should be doing both but not enough to drag aggro away from another tank if you chose) It really depends on your team comp but basically you want to look at what they do well and make them do it better + Agility + utility gems like Spike Defense or Night Vision. For Melia you may also want Arts Stealth if you're finding you are dragging aggro a lot (which she excels at)

As far as Spike damage goes it depends on the kind of Spike damage. If it's a spike that gives you a debuff for example you can slot in gems that nullify debuffs as a whole or that specific debuff to basically nullify it. If it's a damage Spike there's also gems and skills that can lesser or remove that damage entirely. Some enemies can also be topple/dazed to remove their Spike status while they are down. (Or alternately it causes them to GAIN a spike so be careful.) Shulk is never necessary and Purge is honestly not your best way to deal with spike damage.

As a side note if you do not play as Melia don't put her in your party. While the AI is weak for most characters it absolutely drops the ball on her and you won't be able to get remotely the capability out of her that she should have and she's made of glass anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 17, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

By the way, does XB2 ever go on sale on the e-shop?

It was just on sale (maybe still?) Only about $20 off though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

Go to windy cave and kill Caterpiles until you're level 72. From there go and kill Gogols on Bionis leg until about 78.
Then you can go to Satorl and kill the Volffs and Quadwings there (central area of the zone) until you're about 85.

There's always mobs you can grind on and when you're 85 you can start doing those end game quests. It's where I quit the game on the Wii because I wanted to do those quests and was frustrated at the idea of grinding but it's there and it doesn't take too long if you want to do that stuff.

This isn't me making excuses for the mechanics, it's poo poo that the game does this. I'm just giving you options.

Alternately turn on casual mode and take on higher level stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit it's been a while since I played Xenoblade 2 and I hated Tora quite a bit so I didn't pay overly attention to him but I never got the impression that Poppy's thing was supposed to be sexual, just that Tora was a lazy dumb bastard who wanted a maid to pamper him/clean for him/generally let him be a lazy dumb bastard.

I freely admit I'm probably forgetting stuff because Xenoblade 2 is an insanely horny game but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'm just sick of robot maids, sexy or not.

George Jetson has done nothing wrong except put his mother's brain in the body of a robot maid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Wait what? I thought it was just a robot maid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought the Nopon in Future Perfect were pretty cute and perfectly fine?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

I’m at the point with seven where if it wasn’t for how good having all those red arts in a chain attack is, I’d take them off her bar and just leave the slots empty because her auto DPS is higher.

That is pretty much how she rolls. She's a pure autoattacker aside from chain attacks and Speed Shift/maybe Lockon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

My first time through Chronicles: I've hit a boss I can't get past, who is 4 levels above me. Is this the type of game where the answer is probably that I need to get those levels, or can I potentially git gud past it?

If it is the boss in the mines that is a specifically hard roadblock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Happy belated Father's Day to the only good video game dad

Excuse me?

:colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

I cannot defeat Reckless Godwin. Sometimes I get him to like 10% health, but then he gets a buff and starts glowing red and just runs me over. What should I do?

And yes, I do know to pull his guards before fighting him. I’ve played MMOGs before.

Honestly the easiest answer in that case is either "Rejigger your gem loadout slightly" or "Gain a single level." If you find yourself super close to beating a boss then it's usually just a case of a slight number shift.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean saying "they don't want to port X!!!" is weird because there's no indication that is true.

They so far have made a sequel to their immensely popular game and a remaster of their immensely popular game. It is in fact entirely possible that they are either working on a remaster of Xenoblade X and/or helping with BotW2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Wait wait wait, the what?

They're part of the new expansion and can be gotten in the main game a swell.

They significantly change some character's viabilities. Sharla for example is still by far the worst character in the game but it gives her the ability to be a passable DPS while the upgrades to Reyn basically make him a god.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The absolute funniest thing about Alcamoth was the first time I went there and went "Huh... so... every single side quest here is time limited, huh? That isn't suspicious at all."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know it's mostly :effort: but I can't believe they didn't fix sharla, and ontop of that gave you sharla 2 via Kino with the exact same problems.

I can kind of get it.

Sharla isn't quite an easy fix without making her comically broken. They could fix her Talent Art but any fix is going to be a gigantic boost in her overall power short of just removing it which would be a boost but would still leave her as the worst character in the game because she has no talent art and terrible chain attack potential. However people still use her because Party Needs A Healer and Sharla is the only character in the game who fits the healer archetype. So when they decided what to bring into FP they did Reyn (because he's the most straightforward tank) and Sharla (because no other healers exist) so that someone couldn't get into the post-game and find themselves without a reliable team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Can you respec art levels? Is it possible to max them all out?

You can't but you'll have an overabundance of AP You might run out if you're leveling everything to 10 (or 12) but that is generally unnecessary as you'll find a build and stick with it long before then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

It's fifteen coins if you link it from Riki or Dunban, I don't think that's particularly expensive.

15 coins is basically the difference between a particularly good skill or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

XCX music or go to hell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

As long as jumping doesn't change track for the half a second of air time.

Just ruin the experience why don't you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope the fusion robots can themselves fuse into a bigger robot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I feel like it is too obviously them for it to be actually them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

The Interlink assignments bother me because with 3 roles (attacker/tank/support) and 2 characters in each role (Noah and Sena are attackers, Mio and Lanz are tanks, Eunie and Taion are supports) they could have either paired them with their role equivalents (Noah/Sena, Lanz/Mio/ Eunie/Taion) or had every pair be a unique combo (either Noah/Taion, Mio/Eunie and Lanz/Sena or Noah/Mio, Lanz/Taion and Eunie/Sena) but no they had the two supports pair up and then two attacker/tank pairs which just feels a bit off

It makes perfect sense to be honest.

There's unlikely to be scenarios where you want two supports out so the two supports are linked. Then you have a choice of tank/attack depending on your preferences. Maybe with class changes you can switch it up more but "You are going to have a support no matter what + pick 2: Attack/Attack, Tank/Attack Attack/Tank, Tank/Tank"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

Her early artwork showed her weapon is literally half Sharla's medic gun and half Melia's staff, so hopefully that hints that her play style will also be a combination of the two

I still have to wonder if they designed Sharla's moveset deliberately bad to steer players toward better party compositions, or if it's a misguided attempt at balance, or if it's just like, I dunno, a practical joke. definitely feels like a joke

Sharla's moveset is a pretty understandable "sacrifice damage for security" design that would be a lot more relevant if they hadn't made other ways of healing so much more effective and powerful that you're basically not actually getting that benefit. They are obviously well aware of their mistake considering how they've moved to the design of X and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nopons were the deadly aliens destroying the Earth.