Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Just finished Torna. What a good game. Pour one out for my boy Milton. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I really loved with Torna is you go in expecting Addam and Mythra's relationship to be semi-romantic given how much she pines over him, and instead it turns out he treated her like a bratty teenage daughter and put up with none of her antics :allears:.

Then you find out the man's married with a kid on the way! Addam owns. Mythra owns.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Addam is half-Leftherian, as Tornans have blue eyes, so I assume Leftherians have gold eyes in general. We know Rex has to be Leftherian by blood, because he was necessary to open Pyra's seal. I believe you're supposed to infer that he's a descendant of Addam through that and how they both love Pan-Fried Tartari.

And personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that Rex is the one who ends up being with Azurda.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does XC1 or XCX have a Nia-tier character, or is she just kinda unique to her own game? I need another angry Welsh grandma in my adventure.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Aww. Oh well!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You could say

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Meh meh meh!?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

TORA LIKE FIGHTING EASY MONSTERS

*rolls eyes* okay, masterpon

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

My friend if you are looking to do everything in Xenoblade Chronicles you will need a lot more than 100 hours.

I don't know if XC2 is a good gauge for content amount in XC1, but there are multiple Blade quests and unique monsters I haven't dealt with yet in XC2 and I am at well over 160 hours. Haven't even touched the coliseum!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Haven't loaded it up yet, but is there an aggro toggle?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cnidaria posted:

Riki gets to be loud since he is the most powerful character in the game.

SPINNING CUTTAAAAAAAAAA

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IcePhoenix posted:

Tora is a hilarious perverted weeb and I will not stand for people calling him out like this

Tora sucks because he has a Pyra shirt and not a Mythra shirt.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're trying to read a bit too much into something that's not there.

CaptainPsyko posted:

anime dot txt

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Xenoblade age stuff seems like art style issues (and it does have issues) as much as anything, not sure why people are going after that when there’s Rex ending the game with up to two or three robot wives depending on your interpretation of the ending and New Game Plus

smdh if you don't aspire to that level of chad

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Logical1234 posted:

I mostly came here to say that Rex’s stupid Salvager’s Code is the best thing ever ,especially when he it quotes it to the more dramatic characters.

The guy is such a dude, I can’t help but find him endearing.

Rex is a cool kid, and yet I wanted to punch him when Nia confesses to him, because come on, man.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wow don’t forget about Poppi

And uh that one female villain

Patroka is what happens when Rinoa from FF8 accidentally gets time-compressed into a different franchise and turns stupid.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ytlaya posted:

Tiger Tiger is a bunch of dumb bullshit. Why don't they just break open the machine and take the parts that it's dispensing!

Morag/Brighid are bizarrely restrained in a game where the main love interest is literally both a tsundere and a "yamato nedeshiko" (I think this would describe Pyra's general personality) archetype at the same time; it's like they couldn't figure out which stereotype to go with so they just made the love interest into two separate people who each fit one of them. When I first played the game I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Morag (like there being some scene where they make her wear a dress or something) and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

I actually love Tiger! Tiger!, and I don't know why.

Also, I would venture to say that Mythra and Pyra encompass and overall "tsun" and "dere," respectively. Maybe at best Mythra is an overall tsundere, and Pyra is just "deredere," in that she's very doting, positive, and energetic, with all of the "negative" attributes going straight to Mythra. I feel that the closest character to a yamato nadeshiko would be Haze.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

People love to rag on Tora for building a sex robot, but what makes Tora great is that he made a sex robot that, without exception, will never ever gently caress him and constantly gives him poo poo for being a poo poo. But also, Tora isn't an unabashed pervert the entire game or anything; he's kinda lazy, always hungry, and just generally aloof. Poppi keeps him grounded and is just a wonderful character, especially at the end, and I appreciate that Tora really looks up to Rex despite his jealousy that Rex just randomly got to be the Driver of the almighty Aegis and Tora's the third generation in a family of mechanic prodigies who all had to work their asses off to create the equivalent of a Blade.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A Welsh grandma who constantly negs you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm playing with the Japanese voices, all the VA's being unable to do a proper anime yelling was getting on my nerves

I'm sorry for your loss, shell'ead.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Malos irritated me every time he opened his mouth, and I'd say that's some effective voice acting.

The voice that caught me off guard the most was Lora. I'm still not sure how I feel about her direction.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

I admit it's been a while since I played Xenoblade 2 and I hated Tora quite a bit so I didn't pay overly attention to him but I never got the impression that Poppy's thing was supposed to be sexual, just that Tora was a lazy dumb bastard who wanted a maid to pamper him/clean for him/generally let him be a lazy dumb bastard.

I freely admit I'm probably forgetting stuff because Xenoblade 2 is an insanely horny game but still.

From what I remember, the Poppibuster quest leads you to a key item that's supposed to be NSFW material that, I believe, Lila is based on, and it is explicitly hidden from Tora. I wouldn't put it past Tora's Dadapon and Grampypon, but Tora himself is too, well, Tora to be into that stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

YggiDee posted:

I'm just sick of robot maids, sexy or not.

well then what's left to live for

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The worst Blade is Electra, because what does she even do

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ytlaya posted:

I prefer the Japanese Nopon voices because their actual language is completely normal, just with "mo" added to the end of everything. I understand why they chose to make them sound sort of like "cutesy cavemen" and say "mehmeh" and what have you in English (since you can't exactly directly translate their speech quirk) but I don't think it was a good idea. They probably should have just had them use a different tone when talking.

Just in case:
I think their language being normal with a vocal tick at the end would somewhat negate what you learn about them in the big Nopon quest.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

WHAT IS INSIDE BOOOOOX

SWEETS OR TREATS OR SOOOOOOCKS

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Francis posted:

Torna is better without XB2 because XB2 sets certain expectations of what happens during Torna that Torna doesn't deliver on, and tells you what certain Torna characters are like that act very differently in Torna.

This is all besides the issue some have with Jin, where it's hard to enjoy The Dashing Adventures Of Young Hitler knowing that the dude is still, you know, going to be Hitler.

Torna is a good DLC, but it's a great standalone story.

Torna without XB2 context would be ridiculous. I could not imagine getting through Torna, getting to the end, and going "Huh, I guess she's red now? I don't know what that's about." and "So I guess some big army is going to that camp? I guess that comes up in the main game?" That's aside from the fact that Torna assumes you know who Amalthus is and what his deal and motivations are.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Francis posted:

The ending of Torna is messy and skims over the Important Backstory Bits either way. You don't get much detail on the questions you ask in either game! Amalthus comes off as a generic evil pope and, um, he's not much more than that.

A generic evil pope doesn't just give away an Aegis core to Torna's ultimate protagonist for kicks. Amalthus's motivations set the stage for why Malos is even a bad guy at all and why he attacked the Torna refugee camp with seemingly no provocation. Torna also just makes Indol out to be a villain zone immediately, as opposed to the buildup you get from wondering why Amalthus has Haze to him sending you to the World Tree and then trying to murder you when you're halfway up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ogmius815 posted:

Like, if I played XC2, I would have to worry about getting gimpy blades and having a bad time. That sucks. I don't want that.

There are a number of actively good Blades that you just get by default, and Common Blades aren't to be scoffed at. You'll be fine.

e: Also, if you buy Torna, you get the Expansion Pass for vanilla, which gives you a poo poo ton of Rare and Legendary cores out of the gate. You'll basically start the game with a number of Rare Blades that you can just see if you like.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You can completely demolish XB2 with whatever blades you get, and most of the broken stuff involves story or DLC blades anyway

The fact that you can just get Corvin, a stupidly good Light Blade that's even better than KOS-MOS, with basically no effort and no gacha is a testament to how overblown the gacha mechanic is in regard to casual play.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ogmius815 posted:

Quests that lead to unique weapon are good content. Replacing the opportunity for that content with something as awful as a gacha mechanic just seems dumb.

The only thing locked behind quests is story and bonus EXP. You won't miss out on anything you can't get otherwise by not having a specific Blade. The stories can be pretty fun, but most of them are whatever.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Barudak posted:

They also probably should have caught the ice healer blade that takes ~40 hours to unlock max affinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGAY7sggua8

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Xenogears: Definitive Edition

with the all-new chapter where you play as Lacan for 10 hours

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

When I was 14, big boobed waifus were all I could ever want. It's relatable.

e: also, the Xeno series in general has always been pretty drat anime, so I don't even bother recommending any Xenoblade to people who aren't already mecha fans, robot fuckers, or Smash players who think Shulk is neat

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zarfol posted:

Yeah I was kind of wtf on the game for about 20 minutes on the design and then I got over it.

Until I pulled Dahlia out of a core crystal and wtf’d for another 3 minutes, then kept moving on. Game is good.

Dahlia is the only Blade I have left to get, and I think I'm good on never pulling her!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

punk rebel ecks posted:

It was ironic to me how Pyra came off as conservative to the point of saying that she's "self conscious" with a scene even about how she's not too confident about her body, yet she never bothers to cover up.

Mythra is also a giant bitch.

I'm not certain of the scene in question, but Pyra comments about being self-conscious whenever it turns into night time because she glows and feels like that's really weird.

but also

chumbler posted:

Mythra owns and her English VA is perfect.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's no excuse for Etna (the new mobile game is quadrupling down on it in the grossest way), but Mythra was a bratty teenager being dragged around by goofy old man Addam. She basically got a half century nap in a KOS-MOS pod and is mentally on Rex and Nia's level, and they don't play up any weird age stuff ever. It's like the one thing XC2 is actually pretty good about!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nia good

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The current or recent banner (I don't play it, but I see art of it) really focuses a lot on Etna in a school swimsuit as she nearly pulls the thing off. I've seen Etna's original design enough that it barely phases me, and these screenshots I've seen are just... way too much and way worse than anything in the original games.

This tweet may put you on a list.

https://twitter.com/disgaea_app/status/1277874525862944769?s=21

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Omobono posted:

Tora: hahaha NO. Don't get me wrong, Poppy is insane and a good girl, but like hell I want to grind her up. Also her cutie-pie (:ughh:) form comes too late for my tastes and well, cutie-pie.

Just call her Hana (JUDGEMENT DAY MODE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I bought a Wii for Blade, a Wii U for X, and now a Switch for Blade 2. I'm nothing if not consistent. Now that I'm starting XB2, is there anything not on beforeIplay that I should know about going into this? Like I noticed that it has a similar system to FFXV where you can spend EXP when you sleep. Is there a reason not to do this, or just go nuts with it? Things like that.

I went a long time before realizing that was what the bonus EXP was for. Yeah, just go ham with it.

Really, I say just enjoy the game for what it is and then really dig deeper into the systems when you hit New Game+. If you're familiar with Xenoblade in general, everything clicks fairly easily. The only thing to know is that progression is gated by a mechanic called Field Skills which are tied to Blades that you pull via the game's gacha system. What I would do is get the Expansion Pass, as it comes with a bunch of Rare and Legendary cores, use about 10 of each as soon as you can start pulling, and then just go from there. Don't worry about who or what you get. Just enjoy. The Expansion Pass also comes with a few QoL options like Auto-Battle and Aggro Control.