Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It owns when you find out about some big game release the day after it was released. I definitely have had enough time since I first played XBC 1 to be able to enjoy a replay.

Same thing happened with P5R and the FF7R (though I at least knew those existed - I had no idea they were remaking XBC1 for the Switch until seeing this thread). It pays to not follow gaming media; this stuff constantly catches you by surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I checked out Japanese voices, and this game is probably the only one where I have a very strong preference for the dub, mostly because the "typical shounen protagonist" voice doesn't fit Shulk well at all. There are other games where I enjoy the dub (like Bravely Default or the Persona games), but no others where I actively dislike the Japanese voices in comparison.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game has such great music; it's amazing playing it with a good sound system. The dude who composed for both the XBC games is possibly my favorite video game music composer, vying with the guy who did the Bravely Default soundtrack (I'd say Bravely Default's individual tracks are generally a bit stronger, but there are much fewer of them).

Tae posted:

Counterpoint: dunban is vegeta and its so obviuous from the screams.

I listened to Dunban's JP voice and I think I actually like it more. It has a very different feel to it than his dubbed voice. It's just hard to deal with the JP Shulk after getting used to the dubbed one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm going to try this whole Dunban dodge tank thing this time around. I briefly tried it when playing XBC1 for the first time, but I generally stuck to Reyn.

lezard_valeth posted:

As a new player to this game, I must say I really hate how Super Smash Ultimate spoils you the identity of Metal Face (and as whole what's the deal with the faced Mechons) with the dumb spiritboard gimmick. That was probably a neat reveal going blinded.

Yeah, it is; I feel fortunate that I knew nothing at all when I originally played the game. That was a pretty well done twist.

I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles does about as good of a job as a JRPG can do while incorporating a bunch of completely nuts plot elements. Stuff generally makes plenty of sense given what they tell you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Riki is basically the Nopon version of a mega-chad. Humans can't tell, but to other Nopon his physique is basically that of a greek god.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a way to disable the cosmetic appearances? I put some appearance on for some characters' various but now when I get new armor I don't know what it actually looks like. I don't see a way to clear it.

Yes, this confused me for a bit. Pressing some button (Forget which, but it's listed on the screen) brings up a variety of options to remove all equipment or clear appearance.

Waltzing Along posted:

He was fun and cartoonish, but it has taken the game in an entirely different direction and I don't feel the game, at this point, is better for it. It's a game, yeah, but it's no longer a serious game. Now it's just anime. Nothing wrong with anime but I'm sure you can see how much things change at that point.

Maybe if it happened much later like the Virmire/Sovereign reveal in Mass Effect it wouldn't be as jarring. But now I know to expect cartoon villains from here on out.

This is a pretty goofy opinion so early into the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Also complaining that a Xeno game is anime is like complaining that a Mortal Kombat game is violent.

The goofy thing about it in a game like this is comparing it to something like Mass Effect, which is literally just "Western anime." Xenoblade isn't really any more anime (in a way that could be interpreted as a negative thing anyways) than most Western "nerd media" products.

Xenoblade 2, on the other hand, you could at least make an argument that it's anime in various ways that actually detract from it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How are people using Shulk's Monado evade skill (if at all)? For some reason I barely remember that at all from when I first played this. Against the boss where you receive the skill it felt a little awkward, because you're basically forced to use the "let your party members hurt Mechon aura" ability every other Monado skill, and I wasn't sure whether it was worth using on Reyn as tank. The only times I felt like using it was maybe a clearly good idea were when Sharla was almost dead.

Also, how does CPU Reyn use skills like Guard Shift or Berserker? Those both involve trade-offs (so using them at the wrong time can be a bad or worthless thing), so I'm not sure how the computer decides.

By the way, I'm trying the JP voices (just for something different - I did the same thing when playing Persona 5 Royal) and in that Sharla is Karla. The JP voices have actually grown on me a good deal. Sharla and Reyn are both really good, and Shulk is actually fine now that I've gotten used to it; his voice is notably distinct from a more "boy-ish" voice like Rex's in XBC2. I was curious to hear hammer Face Mechon guy whose name starts with an X (forgot his name), and his voice also fits well.

Defiance Industries posted:

Like is it for pedophiles? They did that with Star Ocean 4 and it made me sad.

It's more that the main woman love interest character(s) wear very revealing costumes with huge tits and have pretty generic "anime girl" personalities (though Hikari is at least good/interesting occasionally and doesn't quite reach "abusive" levels of tsundere), made even more awkward by the fact that the protagonist is like 13 years old and looks his age. That romance is absolutely ethically dubious (especially since the love interest(s) are like hundreds of years old or something, so I guess there is pedophilia, but in reverse from what you'd expect). A couple of the other party members are actually quite good, but having a couple of the most important characters look so ridiculous can really take you out of things.

I still enjoyed the hell out of it, but I can at least understand someone having a "too anime" objection to it. It's hard to really understand that kind of complaint with 1 though, unless someone is just inherently bothered by anything that remotely looks "anime" in visual style.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

I forgot about it's existence till my fight against Reckless Godwin. In the battle it's introduced it's very awkward cause of the reasons you've state, but on other fights it's a godsend for when either you are controlling Shulk and the PC is being super bad at pulling aggro away from you and you are about to eat poo poo, or when you are controlling Reyn and the PC is being super bad at healing you (despite both Sharla and Shulk having their healing skills off cooldown and you are being targeted by a death attack)

With the latter (about controlling Reyn), are you talking about telling Shulk to use it, or does Shulk manually use it when you're in danger?

lezard_valeth posted:

Also regarding how the CPU uses Reyn...very badly. I've drawn aggro off him with Sharla despite only focusing on autoattacking and healing and he did not pull it back using his talent art. I've seen CPU using auras, but I have not seen it using Guard Shift, which is ok because Guard Shift is really really bad. Useful for breaking physical attack visions yeah, but there is no way to break out of it that I know of and it lasts for a really really long while and Shulk will generally pull aggro off you and die by the time it expires.

My Reyn usually pulls aggro off of me within maybe 5-10 seconds if I stop using attack skills.

I guess you're right about Guard Shift; the only times it's really necessary are times when you can do the "Warn" thing and manually tell him to use it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pyra and Mythra are physically and mentally about 16-18-ish while Rex is 16. They've also spent the intervening centuries between Torna and XC2 asleep in stasis, so I think you're trying to read a bit too much into something that's not there.

Yeah but Rex looks like he's 13 and Pyra/Mythra look much older. You're correct about their effective age; I was thinking that the time they were awakened before going back to sleep was longer than it was.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 3, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any good way to use Dunban as a tank soon after you get him? I get that in the long-run you want to get him really high evasion (which I guess is agility?), but when you first get him that isn't very viable.

Also, what does weight do? I feel like I remember it having something to do with evasion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Weight substracts from your Agility, which in turn reduces your evasion if I understood correctly.
Also giving Dunban high evasion as soon as you get him is completely doable. Just port back to the 1st landmark in the Ether Mines and grab some Great Wind Crystals, wait 5 minutes and repeat till you have enough to craft a bunch of Agility II/III.

Which brings my next question, does Agility bonus from crystals cap at 50? Every other bonus stat seems to go beyond.

Ah, thanks, I didn't think about gems (or rather I did, but assumed it would be a pain in the rear end to figure out how to craft the ones I wanted).

I'm guessing this is mutually exclusive with using the No Equip talent thing that the poster below mentions? I guess for now I should just equip Light armor with the best possible defensive stats that also has slot(s)?

I'm enjoying playing Dunban because Shulk's positional stuff can be a pain in the rear end. It also seems like playing a non-Shulk with Shulk in the party has the pretty big advantage that, if an enemy uses a talent attack, you can warn Shulk and he'll always have all his Monado skills available (whereas if you're Shulk they might be on cooldown). Other characters have skills that are also useful for mitigation, but I don't think there are any equivalent to Shulk's shield.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I just went with No Equip and the first skill tree that expressively gives you improved AGI if you don't have anything equipped and it's worked for me.

Yeah, I'm going to do that once I reach the end of that tree (which I'm specced to right now).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ XBC2 has a very cool combat system in general IMO, even though the game is bad at explaining things.

Is Shulk/Dunban/Melia viable (with me playing Melia)? My main concern is healing, but both Melia and Shulk have some healing abilities.

I just got Riki in my party. Riki is probably the character who is the most extremely different in Japanese compared with the dub. That kinda applies to the Nopon in general. In Japanese Riki sounds sorta like a rambunctious child.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also, regarding Dunban and agility gems, it seems like I cap out at 50 additional agility (which I can easily reach with a few Agility II/III gems). He has semi-decent dodge, but not good enough to tank nearly as well as Reyn. How does he get more agility than this if the amount from gems is capped?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the Colony 6 stuff actually visibly adds things to city when you do upgrades. I remember completing it when I originally played this, though the upgrades seem kind of impractical financially at the part I'm currently at (I'm low on money because of buying skill books, despite starting the game with 100k due to owning Xenoblade 2).

Unrelated question - do you have to equip things to add them to your transmog list, or does acquiring the item suffice?

CaptainPsyko posted:

Skills and especially skill links from other party members.

Ah. I guess that means I'm going to want to switch in some party members in order to build affinity between different people. I should probably decide on specific parties for specific portions of the game or something (and since I've played the game before I have a decent idea of which major parts there are).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like I've done every available quest in Colony 9, but it's still only 2*. Do more unlock as you progress through the story? I think I've been pretty thorough with checking at different time-slots. Also, Frontier Village is the worst for quests because there are so many stories that you can't just quickly check the map for exclamation marks; you have to cycle through all the floors.

One thing this game's battle system is good at is having a lot of really close battles where you constantly have to revive other people and rely on maintaining enough party gauge. I recently fought that one level 40 named mob (with Dunban, Shulk, and Riki) that is in the Colony 9 zone and it was a really close fight.

Omobono posted:

I had forgotten exactly how good the comic relief character is.

What did we do to deserve the noble and mighty heropon?

JP Riki is so different that it's actually kind of interesting. Not only is Riki himself different, but the dialogue other people use is also often completely different. Like when Riki "officially" joins you, the dub/subtitles have him saying "Riki happy to join friends!" and then Reyn says "Reyn happy too! Come on, furball," but in the JP Riki says something like "I'm counting on you!" and Reyn does that Japanese thing I'm not sure how to directly translate but is sort of like an exasperated "like hell you are" (Riki: "yoroshiku tanomu" Reyn: "yoroshiku tanonjaneezo!" IIRC).

With the JP voice the party's surprise at Riki being a father with multiple children also makes even more sense, because he sounds like a rambunctious child. Riki is a lot better than the XBC2 Nopon I forget the name of.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing Xenoblade 1 is really good about is giving most of your party some relevance until later in the plot. Like Sharla has the stuff with her fiance that ends up culminating in Mechonis (in a lesser game she'd be the sort of character who would become completely irrelevant following her intro plot), Dunban has the discovery that Metal Face is his ex-comrade guy + Fiora being his sister, IIRC Melia has all the High Entia getting transformed. Reyn is obviously Shulk's best friend and also was close to Fiora (plus the obvious budding romance thing between him and Sharla; a lesser game wouldn't allow an attractive female party member - much less the first one - to be interested in anyone other than the protagonist). Riki is the only one who's just kind of along for the ride IIRC.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If someone isn't enjoying the story at all the game isn't going to be that appealing. While someone in Valak Mountain isn't at the most interesting parts yet, I'd still say that if they're not enjoying the story at all that they're probably not going to later on either.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ajkalan posted:

Actually I think you'll all find that Valak Mountain is the best zone in the game because it has the best nighttime music.

Yeah, I was about to mention that (though I like Satorl Marsh night music more; Valak I like second most)

Mizuti posted:

After hearing hype about this game for a decade, I finally got my hands on it. And it just seems... okay? Beautiful zones and music, it fulfills my desire to run around and pick up random things from the ground, but it overall strikes me as being messy. Plot has been bog standard JRPG fare; I've guessed several plot twists immediately. There's an overwhelming amount of mechanics present (combat and non-combat) and they tend to be poorly explained. Many zones are pointlessly huge with bloated travel times. The vast majority of sidequests are also Z tier MMO "bear rear end" filler with little to no story justification. Overall, I have many questions and few answers to them.

I'll try to clear one thing up. Is there any indication of when an NPC will change affinities? Between the daily schedules and the big maps it's a pain to track them down and talk to them all the time. Since affinity changes are often linked to new quests the process is a real headache.

Out of curiosity, where are you right now and what plot twists have you guessed?

As for the game's reputation, it's mostly a combination of the music/environments being a pretty big deal (particularly when the game came out) and the setting/plot being unusually solid for a JRPG (the setting isn't a generic fantasy thing like most other JRPGs and IMO a lot of the plot stuff is wild in a way that manages to be entertaining).

There's not really much positive to be said about the side quest system. It's kind of neat how there are all these characters with their own things going on, but I think that overall it was an ambitious idea (a "living world" where people are around at different times) that is actually just very tedious in practice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's goofy how most of the side quest dialogue is these obviously pre-set things where the party members will repeat the same lines to each other, but every once in a while they'll have unique interactions. Like I'm getting a quest from this Naroth guy in Alcamoth and he starts talking about dissecting Riki, and Riki mentions this would make his wife/kids sad, and then he's surprised Riki has a wife and kids and asks him to bring them too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I'd recommend that has been useful during my playthrough is checking whether townspeople can trade for various quest items. I was getting annoyed at having to go out and find 2 collection items for this Alcanoth quest, but I looked at the trade list and found that someone carried it.

I think I've gotten my Dunban to the point where he's dodging most things. I think Melia's wind spirit thing made a big difference. It's also handy that you can equip most (if not all) Medium armor while still keeping 0 weight due to his own reduced weight skill and being able to share other characters' reduced weight skills.

Cyks posted:

Spoilers for reveals up to sword valley.
I knew as soon as I saw Fiora's mech that she would be inside but I wasn't expecting metal face to be the same? I thought he would be more of a hybrid between Xord (who I assume was all mechanical but had a Hom "conscious" implanted into it so you can kill him prior to unlocking the Menado) and Fiora, like he was a Hom infused with the mechanical body. Otherwise not being able to damage the mech before the unlock doesn't make much sense to me.

You kind of cheese the Xord fight, though. You push him into a river of ether, which is the only way you're able to get him all damaged such that he can be hurt.

edit: One thing I forget from playing this game the first time is whether they ever fully explain (mid-late game spoilers)how the Face Mechon work. Why is Xord missing his memories, while Metal Face guy apparently isn't? What exactly are they doing to turn them into Face Mechon, and how does it differ from those mass produced Face Mechon that you fight later in Mechonis?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 9, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Sharla (oh poo poo sorry didn't realize I was going to mention later thing - consider full-ish game spoilers)immediately notices that Melia has feelings for Shulk and encourages her, and Melia is just like "Thanks" and doesn't protest or deny it at all. In most sort of "anime-adjacent" things her character archetype would be like "what are you talking about!"

The game really shits all over Melia, which I guess is why they apparently made the epilogue thing about her (I haven't played it yet). Her father is killed, she is rejected by her love interest, and her entire race is turned into dinobeasts.

edit: Speaking of Valak Mountain, how the gently caress do you fight these named ether spirit things? Every time I fight them it'll be going normally until they're at around 2/3 health and then they'll suddenly do an attack that kills 2 characters and finish the third soon after. I know that I can equip chill defense gems or something, but I'm pretty sure that won't be enough.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yep, gotta agree. Just made it to Valak Mountain myself.

Xenoblade 2 really did improve on map design. Maps are still big and pretty enough for the "oooooh" factor, but not big enough that you fear turning in a quest in case 3 more others pop up. Also XB2 seems to have a lot more fast travel markers

I've been starting a Xenoblade 2 replay as well (haven't played it since release and never played most of the DLC stuff), and to be honest it's a lot more fun to play on a moment to moment basis, even if there's a lot of stuff related to plot/characterization that is better in 1.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 10, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

This is not all before Valak Mountain spoilers, you slotted endgame poo poo in there.

Oh poo poo, sorry. I was at that point in the game and didn't think to go back and change it after I mentioned that. Hopefully my edit was quick enough that the subset of posters after Valak Mountain but before the later game didn't run into it.

RubberLuffy posted:

Are you talking about the Nebulae element things? The ones with different variations throughout the game? All the Element types will self-destruct when reduced to 1/3ish health. Ways to get around this:

Use Melia, they are incredibly weak to her Ether abilities and you can burst them down with 3 Bolt discharges
Save up for a Chain and use it when they start to charge up, and hope your Chain is enough finish them
Topple them quickly and try to burst them down while Toppled.

I'm talking specifically about the named versions; the regular ones are fine. I looked it up, and it's both of these:
https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Vague_Barbas
https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Moonlight_Paimon

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rosalie_A posted:

It looks like both of them have an AOE Talent Art that blows up everyone around them; I bet that's it. Switch to someone low on HP so you'll get vision warnings from the lethality, or switch to Shulk and just keep Monado Shield rolling. I'd recommend the second option: Monado Shield has a 15 second duration which is easily plenty of time to recharge it normally, or depending on how long the windup takes you may even be able to bust it out reactively. A third option would be to stack HP and Ether Defense gems and use Sharla so you can save party heals and shielding for the best moments.

One thing that won't work is dodging. Ether attacks utilize a slightly different accuracy formula that only takes user/target level and art level into account, not agility and so traditional Agility based dodge tanking won't work. If you're stacking Agility and lightweight equipment on your squishies in the hopes of dodging this, it won't work and is just taking stats away from other, more important areas.

The alternative is that its their line attack which is wiping your party, which is avoided through stacking Ether Defense and HP and, most importantly, spreading out so the entire party can't be clipped. I suggest a party of Reyn, Riki, and Sharla in this case, controlling either Sharla or Riki and making sure to stay at a distance and spread out. If you've been leaning primarily on Riki to heal then bunching up for You Can Do It! leaves you open to getting hit by this sort of attack, so be aware that can aggravate matters (hence Sharla, who doesn't need to be close to anyone, friend or foe, to do her thing, and Reyn, who mitigates damage through defenses rather than dodging, leading to more predictable HP flows and less need for panic healing and bunching up).

Ah, this might explain things some. I was both using Dunban as tank and not using Shulk. I didn't realize the AoE was a talent; I assumed it was ethee. I also wasn't getting the warnings, which was strange since they also usually pop up when another character is about to get killed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, I don't know how I managed to cope with the initial tiny amount of Overdrive Protocols in Xenoblade 2. There's a decent number now with the DLC (I think 14 total if you include the 4 you can get in-game), but originally it sucked rear end because you'd end up with blades stuck on the wrong dudes and you could only move 4 of them. This time around I've decided to not use any cores after getting enough people to fill Rex/Nia's rosters, since I'll be wanting to spread them around all the non-Rex characters due to Rex's master driver stuff. I conveniently got that one DLC blade that is apparently the most common unique blade (T-elos) on Rex, which works really well since I stopped playing before that DLC came out and have never used her. Also got lucky with Nia, since the first (and only so far) rare blade she got was Boreas. I'll still probably never get KOS-MOS or Zenobia. Got literally every pre-DLC blade but those two when I first played.

The one kind of soul-crushing aspect of the core stuff is how unique drop rates are higher when you have few, which essentially means that if you don't get something you're aiming for in your first ~10 unique blades you're pretty much hosed and probably not going to until you get to end-game farming or something.

I remember on my original playthrough I actually wasted one overdrive protocol on a non-unique blade. I think I decided to move the one I got from the example core because I didn't realize at that point that Overdrive Protocols would be so rare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I miraculously got Zenobia early into my Xenoblade 2 replay. Her skills seem extremely good; like she's specifically tailored for hard fights.

Tiger Tiger is a bunch of dumb bullshit. Why don't they just break open the machine and take the parts that it's dispensing!

multijoe posted:

Xeno 2 is awful with the whole harem setup between Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Nia, but it at least has Morag and Brighid who are cool.

Morag/Brighid are bizarrely restrained in a game where the main love interest is literally both a tsundere and a "yamato nedeshiko" (I think this would describe Pyra's general personality) archetype at the same time; it's like they couldn't figure out which stereotype to go with so they just made the love interest into two separate people who each fit one of them. When I first played the game I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Morag (like there being some scene where they make her wear a dress or something) and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

In general I like Morag and Zeke because they pretty realistically act like adults (even if one is a goofy adult) in this party where everyone else is a child (I don't know Nia's exact age, but she acts like she's around Rex's age).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Polderjoch posted:

For my issues with the Mechonis' actual areas and specifically it just being ridiculously tiny compared to the Bionis Mechonis field is easily the best field theme in the series. It's godly good.

I also like Xenoblade 2's "spiritual successor" to that track (the one they play in the Old Factory and I think also that one area with the cliffs).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The DLC also gives you a poo poo ton of cores now, as well as at least a couple more free non-gacha blades (these blades also have convenient elements that are otherwise difficult to get on blades of that role - a Fire healer and a Light tank). 25 legendary cores I believe. You can basically instantly get all the blades you'd normally get through an entire playthrough (without any specific grinding for cores).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I turned on the option that makes it to where you don't have to do the QTEs when using specials. I should have done that a long time ago.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Her VA was definitely a high point. But some of the other ones were just awful, like Malos during your fight with him early on. In general there were a lot of places where I think the voice direction wasn't great, so the emphasis is off or character's tone of voice doesn't match their facial expression. Nopons also all sound really hosed up in English what with them all having normal human voices, the cutesy mascot voices that they have in Japanese works better for me.

I prefer the Japanese Nopon voices because their actual language is completely normal, just with "mo" added to the end of everything. I understand why they chose to make them sound sort of like "cutesy cavemen" and say "mehmeh" and what have you in English (since you can't exactly directly translate their speech quirk) but I don't think it was a good idea. They probably should have just had them use a different tone when talking.

In general the English voices in Xenoblade 2 are very difficult for me to listen to (the moments that don't feel awkward end up standing out to me more than the ones that do), and the JP ones are generally very solid (all of the Torna folks are great in JP, except maybe Jin who doesn't really have much of a reason to have interesting voice acting to begin with).

* also the Japanese names all make more sense and I'm constantly having to remind myself to use the English ones in this thread, even though I understand why they localized it (voice actors likely would have had trouble pronouncing the names correctly). Like all the Torna folks have Japanese names that go with their whole aesthetic (Akhos = Yoshitsune, Petroka = Benkei, Mikhail = Satahiko

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think someone else mentioned this, but lmao at the quest where your party racially profiles a bunch of Tirkin chefs* and beats the poo poo out of them and it's played for laughs.

* the way "beast tribes" are treated in the Xenoblade games is really weird

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

1 is literally the most anime plot with 3 big tit girls two of which are robots

Both of them are very anime, but 2 is notably worse with the protagonist and love interests (who are basically just significantly more stereotypical than the ones in 1 - who are also stereotypes, just less so). Like Fiora is "a nice girl," but Homura is "a cloyingly nice girl with comically large boobs and a ridiculous skintight outfit." And Hikari is about as close as you get to "a generic tsundere." Nia (I don't think there's anything really constituting a spoiler here, but just being careful) is pretty good, which just makes it worse that she's obviously doomed to "lose" from the very beginning. And Rex and Nia at least look and act like people of roughly the same age, while Homura/Hikari look and act much older then Rex (to the extent that it just feels really loving weird to have them as love interests for this guy who looks and acts like he's 14 years old). Rex himself is alright, but the story doesn't do much with his few distinct characteristics (which basically amount to "he's street-smart and has been working an actual job that he's competent at"). Same kind of applies to Shulk, who has a pretty unique personality at the beginning of X1 but quickly becomes more-or-less a typical JRPG protagonist.

I actually enjoyed playing 2 more than 1, though, even though I preferred the characters in 1. The actual moment-to-moment questing element of the gameplay felt much better - fewer dull parts (with more frequent story beats) and far fewer meaningless busy quests.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I unironically hope they bring the gotcha back because it’s makes weirdos mad for some reason

I don't mind the random element at all, but it needs some way to reasonably fill out your roster in the end-game. Adding some grind is alright, but the way it was in X2 was ridiculous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After learning that this game takes place in the same setting as the first two games (didn't see if this was explicit but seems obvious), at first I was thinking that this might be a problem since I enjoy games like this having some sort of big overarching mystery, while all the major stuff was revealed in X1/X2.

But then I remembered that we don't really know much about that artifact from the events prior to those games (or much about that situation in general beyond the specific events directly relevant to X1/X2), so there's actually a bunch of mystery stuff they could still do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Squinting carefully, I'm excited as hell for Adventures of Nia and Travis Touchdown

lmao I thought the same thing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the main party character designs for XB3 from what I've seen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

The use of "tag team pairs" seems to suggest it's more of a Torna situation rather than Everyone Is Here.

I hope this is the case; don't like the idea of having 6+ separate people I can control during a fight.

Really looking forward to this. These games are probably the ultimate gaming "comfort food" for me, for some reason that I can't quite pin down. Something about the general combined look/feel (rather than anything pertaining to gameplay); there some vague aspect to the way the voices sound and the graphics look that I find more appealing than other modern 3D RPGs (like the Tales games or something).

I hope the soundtrack has a good successor to the "dramatic cutscene track" from XB1 and XB2.

CharlestheHammer posted:

2 is the best Xenoblade tho, it’s not even close either

I agree with this, even though it seems like an uncommon opinion. I like the character designs of XB1 more (and generally dislike Homura/Hikari's characters in XB2, though I liked the rest of the XB2 main party), but I found XB2 far more fun to actually play, even with its many flaws. XB1 is very...empty in comparison, and it is pretty stingy in divvying out its melodrama, while XB2 keeps things moving better.

XB3 seems like it's going to hit a good balance between the character designs of XB1 and XB2. Not quite as ridiculous as XB2, but a little more "colorful" than the ones in XB1.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 19, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omobono posted:

E2: I want an heart to heart where two very drunk Melia and Nia bond by commiserating over those two assholes; meanwhile the party stares in fascinated horror (think :magical:)

I normally get vaguely annoyed when people talk about wanting indulgent things in games, but I also want something like this.

Both those situations bugged me for different reasons:
- With Melia it was just kind of a bummer because it was extremely obvious she stood zero chance from the very beginning and she was aware of this
- With Nia, she was transparently a better match for Rex - they both look and act the same age (even if they're not), while the dynamic between Rex and Pyra/Mythra feels like a 15 year old boy romancing women in their early 20s.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're Melia and Nia and that one guy is Vandam.

Every character in the game is Vandam (except for the character named Vandam), whose soul has been cloned and inserted into everyones' bodies

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm finally getting around to playing more of the Torna DLC, since I never came close to finishing it the first time around.

Even with the stream-lining (which is good and I get the impression XBC3 might do something similar, where you have 3 pairs and control one, where you can swap between them), one issue I notice in this (that also applied to the main game) is that the actual mechanics rarely come into play during the vast majority of overworld fights you get into. I was trying to re-acquaint myself with the mechanics, and most things die long before you can actually put together any combos (either driver combos or combos with the ultimate attacks).

Works better for boss fights, since the fight continues long enough for you to actually swap between characters more than twice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, IIRC it largely comes down to arranging your blades such that you can do a driver combo (and have the right elements between them and your party members for the big orbs combos), and then just use all your skills as they come off cooldown in the order that produces driver combos. This is faster once you get all the "start fight with X/Y/B skills charged" and "cancel arts into other arts" skills, where you just run through your "rotation."

It'd probably be good if there was more "reactive" content. I feel like I remember XBC1 doing a decent job of this with the visions and Monado skills that counter/negate certain enemy abilities (though XBC1's combat UI was kind of annoying for different reasons - I didn't like having to scroll through abilities).

Pants Donkey posted:

This is why I don’t think 2 is a very good game. It’s heavily designed towards the endgame superboss killing, at the expense of making the first playthrough feel boring except for the boss and superboss fights every so often.

And yeah, the endgame is vast and awesome, but “It gets better after 40 hours” is not how you sell your game to someone.

While this didn't bother me much (because the main appeal for me is the setting/music/plot - plus whatever weird subtle appeal the visuals/sound for these games have for me), it's definitely true that the vast majority of fighting you do is really boring. Kinda similar situation to FF14, where the solo questing gameplay (and dungeons up until higher level) is profoundly boring, but the game itself is still enjoyable if you really like the setting/story.

I hope they at least balance XBC3 around more frequent regular skill use. While the big orb combos in XBC2 are fun when you succeed in doing them, you get almost no opportunity to do them during the main scenario. It'd be good if a larger portion of your damage came from more "regular" play. You can still give access to wild combos for harder encounters, but in XBC2 it seemed to always boil down to "geneerate orbs as quickly as possible and center your chips/equipment around maximizing the effect of those combos."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 21, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

meh meh mehhh

Playing with Japanese voices probably helped at least some with this, given the weird things the dub does to the way the Nopon talk (Tora is still bad, but at least you don't have to deal with the annoying talking style as much, since they just add "mo" to everything in JP).

In general I think the Japanese dub is dramatically better for XBC2. XBC1 I think the dubs are about equal. Maybe with a slight preference for English - the difference between JP and English for Mumkhar is pretty jarring; JP Mumkhar is loving Norio Wakamoto, which is kind of awesome but doesn't seem to fit his appearance at all. For example - (XBC1 spoiler within) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKkIqrYJoc (this video also features JP Dunban, which is also significantly different from English Dunban, but in a way where I think both are about equally good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Junpei posted:

I'm one of those psycho mutant freaks who actually doesn't mind Rex all that much. I do agree with the major moments everyone says are bad ("JOIN ME") but I think he acquits himself pretty well in scenes that are more comedic or relaxed in nature ("One eyed monster" would not work as well as it does if not for him).

I think that, outside of the yelling scenes, EN Rex is actually okay. There are other EN voices in XBC2 that I like far less. Akhos is *way* worse and, while English Malos isn't bad, JP fits the character much better (EN Malos is more just "hammy villain" while the JP has this sort of nihilistic angle to the VA that better fits the character). EN Vandham is also much worse, particularly in the big cutscene.