Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This is a cool thread. Shame about the lovely thread tag, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

That tinder link is like the people posing with lions and tigers in Tiger King, except with black people. It's kind of hosed up. Oh well, what can ya do?

Sociopathic displays of performative empathy.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The_Continental posted:

To be fair, any time I brought out a camera in Burkina, children would JUMP in front of it and start throwing up peace signs. Additionally, I have like zero pictures of myself before or after Peace Corps. I think its only natural for people to want to show and tell others about their experience, that doesn't make them a sociopath.

Yeah but... for your booty call app profile?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The_Continental posted:

Between French and English you have words called "faux amis" or false cognates. Jolie, doesnt mean Jolly, it means pretty, for example. The word for "excited" can also mean "sexually aroused". I was trying to express gratitude for the opportunity to work with the headmaster of a primary school and essentially told him I couldn't wait to meet the students, and was really horny.

West Africans tend to think it rude to correct someone or to tell them no, and much prefer to go through an intermediary. As a result, I thought everything was going really well with my new site until a week later my language instructor was like "What on Earth did you say to Mr. Kabore?"

We had a laugh about it.

There's something similar with "embarrassed" and the Spanish word, "embarazada."

Many young English-speaking women in Spanish-speaking countries have thought they were saying, "I'm very embarrassed," and ended up saying, "I'm very pregnant."