Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Fart Car '97 posted:

The typical horrible western white sex tourist is very much alive and well in The Gambia

I'm catchin' up with the thread, but I watched this first-hand.

Very startling.

You'd see some q-tip dumpy older lady walked down the beach with a strapping local, whilst on a white stallion.

The locals called'em bosslady behind their backs. Heebie Jeebie material for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Fart Car '97 posted:

OP mentioned that what you describe is pretty common in Ghana/Senegal/ ect, but that's just sex tourism not unlike going to the Amsterdam. There's nothing really illegal going on there, and they aren't really hot spots for child sex tourism.

The Gambia on the other hand is notorious for being a destination for Europeans to engage in child sex tourism. Child sex & slavery is more common in Senegal/Mali/Ghana/Sierra Leone/Liberia than most countries for sure, but it's usually occurring between nationals. They aren't destinations for it in the same way The Gambia is. The Gambia has just the right mix of development, economy, access, and a corrupt government that allows the worst poo poo imaginable to thrive.

When I said "first-hand", I meant, they walked past me and I witnessed it.
Also, very creepy scenes at local resort bars.

EDIT: Gambia

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sorry, I guess I'm confused because it sounds like what you're saying you witnessed 'first hand' is the very common, out-in-the-open transaction where older white women travel to West Africa to sleep with young well built black men while acting as their sugar momma. I don't really care about that, everyone involved is a consenting adult. If you saw the other end, where older white men are travelling to Gambia to sleep with kids, then I'm sorry you had to see that :(

To be succinct, yes.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

The_Continental posted:

Just to clarify this a bit, "Toubab" is a word typically used for white foreigners, but can refer to any foreigner. "Nassara" was also common in Burkina Faso, or "Obruni" in Ghana. They aren't really meant to cause offense.

This could be bullshit but it's what I was told:

Toubob or two-Bob was the nickname for whites because that's the price paid to the locals for selling an African into the slave trade. 2 Bobs (shillings)

This, of course, is probably nonsense, but :tinfoil: language gets weird out there.

I heard it from a Peace Corp volunteer who spoke woloof. I'm willing to bet it's more urban legend than anything.