Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
This is really cool.

Were the people friendly to you right away or did they take some time to warm up to you? What were your favorite things about the area you were in? How was the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The_Continental posted:

You honestly don't want to hear about dusty drunken hippie sex

Speaking of drinking though, you mentioned the country is 80% Muslim so what's the deal with alcohol there? Is it widely available and used, illegal, or legal and uncommon?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Some of these are just pictures of someone with like one adult black guy lol, or like, a child that might just be a friend's kid or something

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 17, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not super mad about it or anything, but I think the issue is that it often feels like they're using the people as props to get laid. Obviously everyone knows the chosen photos are pretty staged/fake but no one is exploited in the gym mirror selfie (beside the viewer).

The problem with this is like, how do you know they're being exploited? Like OP said yeah if you go on a two week mission trip it's pretty fuckin' lame to act like you did anything to help but if you dedicate 2+ years of your life with minimum compensation I think it's pretty ok if you want to put up a picture of you and your friends there or whatever. There really isn't a way to tell the difference between the two cases just from a picture either.

And like I mentioned earlier some of those pics are just like, people vacationing/visiting somewhere and as long as you're not doing it as a sex tourist or to gawk at people suffering or something then most places appreciate tourists coming to visit and spending their money. Nobody makes a tumblr about it if you post a picture of your family with your white water rafting guide in Montana.