Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How did the locals view Thomas Sankara? Is he and his communist regime revered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The_Continental posted:

I visited Ghana twice while in Burkina Faso. Its a bit more developed, and anglophone. It was a nice place to go and soak up some sun, drink beer and go swimming. We had a lot of fun in Ghana.

I actually want to visit both Ghana and Burkina Faso. Are they good places to visit in terms of sightseeing and a Hunter Thompson-esque adventure?

For reference I recently got back from Kenya and Uganda and had fun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The_Continental posted:

Depends on the sort of traveler you are. But yeah Ghana is quite tourist friendly, especially along the coast. Cape Three Points, Dixcove, and Busua are all beautiful beaches and accessible through Takoradi. The further inland you go the more "en brousse" things are going to become, and the less English you'll find.

Burkina is going to be tough, it breaks my heart to say that there has been recent conflict in the area. There have been Islamists kidnapping some locals, and casual travel is likely going to be difficult or unsafe for quite a while. Mali went through something similar recently, they had islamists knocking down world heritage sites, beating people for having musical ringtones, and just generally being loving assholes that hate fun. The French military came through and killed a bunch of them and they chilled out but it seems they've set their sites on Burkina now. Again, this breaks my loving heart.

As far as a Hunter S. Thompson style romp, I'd be careful about drug use in either of these places. At least in Burkina, anyone who has access to drugs is likely going to be involved in some other, uglier poo poo. The police there don't really differentiate between casual marijuana use and hard drugs.

Thanks for the response!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why are all your pictures so orangy and deserty when Ghana is so lush and green according to Google Maps?

https://www.google.com/maps/@8.0281067,1.4331754,1606355m/data=!3m1!1e3

Or are they all in Burkina Faso?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The_Continental posted:

Ive got some photos from Ghana ill post later. If you google maps Dori, Burkina Faso youll see the line of green where desertification is happening.

Too bad Thomas Sankara was ousted as he was huge on planting trees.