Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What was the language situation like. Sounds like the lingua franca was French; how much would you hear the pre-colonial languages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How much of a national identity is there in Burkina Faso?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What was your happiest day in Burkina Faso?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You've said that your service was "interrupted" a few times. Could you expand on that?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I mean, for real dude, do you think he found some dude who took a shitload of pictures of the Sahel, fabricated the narrative of being a peace corp volunteer, while being familiar with insanely specific policies of the peace corps? Or do you think that Maybe the fully immersed dude who already knew some French might have picked it up faster than a goon doing ten minutes of Duolingo a day?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ante posted:

What were the languages like?

In many developing countries, local languages can be a pidgin that wouldn't be that hard to pick up. Some mixture of the actual historic local language and Spanish/English usually, but maybe French/English in OP's case.

Dunno if that's actually the case, just presenting that as a reasonable possibility

The_Continental posted:

French was spoken in all the major cities and within regional capitals and larger villages. As the lingua franca it was used for any sort of governmental functions and/or business transactions. There are something like 60-70 local languages in Burkina Faso, with the big three being Moore, Jula, and Fulani. The Mossi people are the sort of dominant ethnic group around the capital, occupying a region known as the Mossi plateau. Further north, near the Malian border, I heard mostly Fulani. I would hear local languages every day and even learned enough of a few of them to be able to greet people and shop in markets. I know some volunteers that became fluent in the local language. As I've stated before, my service was interrupted twice so it wasn't as easy to immerse myself in the local language. It wasn't as much of a necessity for me as it was for other volunteers in very rural posts. I should also mention that there is a language disparity between men and women. Especially in very rural villages or "en brousse", its more rare to find women that speak French. Obviously, this really only serves to reinforce the power imbalances in an already very patriarchal society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
q: How comfy are those square patterned clothes I see people wearing. drat things look like pajamas