Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i was youth development volunteer in eastern europe (Ukraine) up until this past March. we evacuated because of covid 3 years to the DAY after i arrived. a lot of my work also focused on women's education and empowerment. i'd say in Ukraine i had more consistent access to water, electricity, plumbing and public transport, however, and in my sociopathic performative empathy tinder pics i am perceived as being the same color as most of my students.

a lot of the things The Continental is describing could absolutely be said about the experience working in education in a rural environment in eastern europe. everything about Peace Corps culture/training is pretty universally applicable as well. especially training + host family poo poo.

I've actually really loved reading his answers because frankly cultural integration, professional integration, language learning, and just daily life in a foreign country are all incredibly loving hard and a lot of volunteers can't wrap their heads around all of it and end up bouncing off of their service HARD. the volunteers who talk like The Continental, showcasing a firm understanding of those dynamics and how to process and respond to them, are usually the ones doing really cool things at site, having meaningful experiences, creating lasting relationships, etc.

the best piece of advice i got came from the peace corps ask/tell thread on these forums years ago before i ever left: "first and foremost, peace corps is a cultural exchange. anything that happens on top of that is icing on the cake"

like continental said, the ones who came to save the world usually went home in tears. the ones who came to take shots of moonshine with a bunch of villagers and chase chickens around? those volunteers went places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU