Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The_Continental posted:

Volunteers stay with a host family during their training, which lasts 3 months. Following training, they are sworn in as volunteers and begin their service "at site". The community provides a home for them to stay in that is comparable to other living in the area. Some families take a few volunteers, but they only bring in a new training class every 12 months or so, and they may not use the same training villages depending on which sector they are training. For example, they would want a much more rural setting for agriculture volunteers, vs something closer to a regional hub for education or business development volunteers.

so families will have at least 9 months free of white boys spraying poo poo on the walls of their home latrine.

How do they select host families? What kind of criteria do they have to meet? Do they get a stipend for housing you? Do they have to go through training to be a host family? Are they told stuff like "their stomachs are not used to the food here so beware"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The_Continental posted:

Yeah they typically select families that are well respected in the community. My host father, Mr Kindo Ousseini, was the president of the APE (associacion de parent's des eleves) or parents of students organization. Naturally, he valued education. They need to be able to provide a secure area to sleep, have an approved latrine, and go through some orientation. They do receive some money to cover the costs of feeding a volunteer, but its not a large amount.

They also work closely with local staff during the training period to help the volunteer adjust to village life. They will have a Peace Corps staff member who is either from the training village, or very familiar with it. This person can act as an intermediary if there are any issues with housing, food, sanitation, cultural adjustment, etc.

Do a lot of people stay in touch with their host families once they move on? Are there like, really cool host families that are the best ones and everyone knows it? I don't really know why I'm so interested in the host family thing lol

What kind of schedule were you guys on? Did you have "work hours" like a regular job, or was it looser by nature? How much free time did you get, and what did you like to do for fun?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The_Continental posted:

edit: I'm sorry and I'll address the rest of your question, the first part just made me want to tell you about my friend Mike.

thanks for telling me about your friend mike :) it sounds like he was a really cool person and you were lucky to have known him.

why do you think he wanted the camera delivered personally?