Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Checked out a few episodes; it's a perfectly standard "cool sort-of-lefty new yorker" podcast. Aside from a few eyebrow raising guest bookings the subject matter is actually pretty tame. While the hosts have a reputation for being contrarians, the more annoying tendency is to never stake out a really firm position on much of anything. Pretty much every claim or opinion is qualified and/or immediately contradicted. I don't understand why, when shitposting is so easy.

Detractors seem to describe Red Scare as either a "nazbol" take on Chapo, or as Cum Town with women, but neither podcast seems particularly comparable aside from the hosts obviously being from the same social circle.

Politics rarely amount to more than pretty surface level making GBS threads on politicians as celebrities or on performative wokeness in general, which is fine, but pretty routine by now. The hosts are also not comedians, there is the same tendency to ramble in order to fill time like in Cum Town, but there's rarely bits.

Slurs get a lot of attention, and yeah, they happen once in a while, but it comes across as very performative to me. I get the impression it's mostly a sort of branding here, which to me is more embarrassing than offensive.

I guess there's a certain novelty to hearing mostly the same news/gossip/twitter-drama rehashed by people who do not constantly rely on Robocop and Star Trek references, but aside from the parasocial appeal of listening to women you might think are cool or whatever there is little new here for those already terminally online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU