Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Jerry, Jerry, Quite Contrary, How do your Iron Crosses Grow?
Let's play Il-2 Great Battles

So as not to reinvent the wheel, I'm shamelessly stealing some OP groundwork from Jobbo Fett's wonderful, but long-archived Il-2 LP thread. If you haven't read it, it's quite a fun thread. Thanks, Jobbo!

Jobbo Fett posted:

Let's Play Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte, and more! [editor's note: for ease of use, commonly called "Il-2 Great Battles."]

That doesn't seem too reassuring...
-----------------------------------------
Initially released in late 2014, Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad saw the return of one of the most beloved flight sim franchises of all time. Coming off of the poorly received Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, criticized for its lack of variety, critical bugs and poor performance, Il-2:BoS was met with a lot of apprehension from fans, and some, like myself, still felt let down thanks in part to a missing career mode and mission/scenario creation tool. 3.5 years later, and the game has received multiple major updates, as well as numerous smaller ones, adding new functionality, planes, missions, and, even more importantly, a proper campaign mode making it feel a lot more like its predecessor from 2001.

With that said, the number of pieces of DLC this game is accruing can be worrisome for those who wish to dive into this game head first, and even those who want to wait for one of several sales that occur throughout the year. And that's not even getting into the scripted campaigns, made before the release of the career mode, and premium aircraft, which are sold separately from anything else.

So, what are we going to do here and why does it matter to you?
If you follow the IL-2 thread, you'll know that I recently tried to put together a cooperative campaign using the wonderful tool Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator (henceforth PWCG). Unfortunately, due to technical issues, the online coop campaign was a bit of a bust. So, I'm reverting to Plan B: this thread. Here, we will follow a PWCG campaign in single player mode, but all the key players are AI versions of your fellow forum-going goons. For whatever reason, I feel the PWCG app is far more immersive and engaging than the baked-in career mode that comes with the game, so this is the point where Jobbo's thread and mine diverge significantly.

If you signed up for the coop campaign, consider yourself volunteered for this. I already have more pilots than I currently have slots, so those who haven't made it into the squadron roster yet, will... soon. Trust me - there will be an intense amount of attrition through the course of this campaign. So, if you'd like to have your name added to the list of pilots, please just respond in the thread and you'll likely get your chance.

My intent is to follow much the same format as Jobbo's thread. As this group progresses through the war, I'll build a narrative using screenshots, videos, etc. PWCG will track kills, flight time, ranks, medals, etc.

Some nuts and bolts
Here are the difficulty settings I intend to use:

Some comments:

1. As you can see, this is just about full real. Complex engine management, limited ammo, realistic damage, and no autopilot.

2. No Allow spectators - This prohibits external views. I'll be recording tracks of each flight, then using those to record videos and screenshots. But, when I'm actually flying, I will be locked in my flying aluminum casket cockpit.

3. Navigation markers - because gently caress if I'm going to do realistic navigation.

4. Alternate plane visibility - a recent game engine option that makes distant aircraft somewhat easier to spot. This will be helpful because...

5. Object markers - these are icons over vehicles, aircraft, etc, that show distance and other information about the object. I'm super lovely at spotting, so this is a bit of a crutch for me, that I intend to use in a very limited fashion. I've actively been trying not to use it lately, but I'll leave it on for now as an option.

6. Warmed up engine - because having to warm the engine in a sim is loving stupid.

This will be a dead is dead campaign. The value of "4" in PWCG's Max Pilot Injury config option for this campaign means that if my pilot dies, he dies.

No mulligans here, folks. When I die, thread over.

Campaign progression has been left at the default settings, meaning that there's typically between one and four days between each mission that I fly. I believe PWCG randomly simulates missions between the missions I actually fly, so from time to time a pilot will be killed or wounded and I'll have no indication as to why. It is presumed that he was lost on a mission. So, if your pilot randomly dies... uh... sorry, I guess? C'est le guerre.

We are starting at the earliest possible date, October 1, 1941. The goal - survive the war on the Eastern Front.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator

Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator (PWCG) is a free, third party app that runs on Java and can trace its roots to the days of Rise of Flight. Over the years, it has evolved into a powerful, immersive tool that builds missions based on previous mission outcomes, tracks statistics, and follows pilot progression. Pat continues to update it, so that includes functionality for all the latest DLC, he's active on the forums, and is generally a pretty swell dude. So, unlike WinRAR, I actually paid Pat for this piece of software. It's that good. If you haven't used it, it is available for free here. Copy it to the root of your IL-2 game folder, install 64bit Java, enable flight logs in your IL-2 configs, and you're off and running.

Here is the main interface for PWCG:

Along the left side, you see all of the major options available in a campaign.
- Mission - generates a mission for you
- Lone wolf - generates a solo mission for those of you that want to die
- Combat report - after a mission, this is where you go to have PWCG parse the mission's log and calculate results, etc.
- Pilots - the screen you see here (more below)
- Top Aces - the top aces in-theater from both sides (clearly, our group won't make that cut)
- Equipment - the number of various airframes available in the replacement pool (read: lose too many airplanes, your group can't fly)
- Add pilot - allows you to create another pilot in the campaign
- Change reference pilot - allows you to switch to that other pilot you created in the campaign. PWCG's flexibility allows you to continue the same campaign as another pilot in any squadron on either side. Tired of flying fighter missions? Create a pilot and fly in an attack squadron for a while. Super cool.
- Leave - I think allows you advance the date, essentially.
- Transfer - transfer your current pilot to another squadron or side.
- Journal - part of the immersiveness of PWCG is that it allows you to keep a free-text post-mission journal. This is where you can go to read it.
- Squadron log - this screen shows the mission history for your squadron. Kills, ground kills, losses, etc will all show up here.
- Skin mgmt - allows you to manage skins assigned to aircraft in the campaign. If you don't want every airplane wearing the same camo, this is the place to set that.
- Intel map - a large-scale overall theater map, showing locations of bases, front lines, etc.
- Intel report - allows you to explore the names and equipment of enemy units insofar as your intelligence has gathered
- Equipment Depot Report - reports how many airframes of each type are left in reserve

The others are fairly self explanatory. Our campaign will be run with medium air and ground density options set. All other options aside from those above, are using default configurations.

The chalkboard lists your squadron roster. Every AI pilot starts with a number of missions under his belt. As losses mount (and they will), newbies will be transferred in. They may be experienced high-ranking officials, or they may be tractor mechanics with only the most rudimentary understanding of airplanes.

Along the right, each pilot has a photo, medical status, and - if you click on them - a detailed dossier. Let's look at our dear Jobbo Fett, for example.

Here we see his smiling face (there are ~50 different period pilot photos), his awards, and his logbook. Interestingly, we also see a picture of his German mistress with a love note scrawled on it. Perhaps we shall report him to the commissar later. As AI characters progress, more information will be built up in their pilot log and they will receive promotions, medals, etc. Or, they will end up in a smoldering hole somewhere on the tractless steppe. :shrug:

As I run the first few missions, I'll post more shots of how the actual mission creation and combat report interfaces work.

------------------------------------------------------------------

30 Sept. 1941
The weather is turning. A crisp autumn wind now rustles the leaves and the temperatures are beginning to drop. I am writing this from my new "quarters" on the field here near Zenino. They consist of a tent big enough for four men and a small stove that can't begin to keep out the cold. I shudder to think what this will be like when winter hits.

I arrived here two days ago and have only just begun to settle in. Zenino is at the heart of the front lines and the fascists are scant kilometers away from us. Due east of us is Moscow and we are the last line of defense.

Last night, they dropped a few bombs in the village proper, but nothing came of it before they ran for home. This war is real now for me; no longer confined only to the pages of Pravda. This is all for the better though. I'm ready to get into the fight and push Fritz back to Berlin where he belongs.

I have spent the last few hours meeting my squadron mates. They seem like a good group, but young and inexperienced like myself.

I had hoped to learn a thing or two from some veteran fliers, but it looks like the VVS has other plans. We are called the 11th Fighter Air Regiment and we will be flying the mighty LaGG-3 into battle.

True, he is not the most handsome airplane, but I hear that he can hold his own against the fascists. Most of the machines at this field have the magnificent 23mm cannon in the nose and it is said that it can bring down a Messerschmitt with only one or two bursts - or so Kap Jobbo Fett says anyway. He says you just have to make your shots count, whatever that means.

The truth is, we will need every advantage we can muster, for things are looking bad for the Rodina. I am no defeatist, but intelligence says that the fascists have brought several of their most elite fighter squadrons to this area.

Intel says that Vjazma is bustling with enemy bombers and attack planes too. We must push hard to keep the fascists from reaching the gates of Moscow. If we can hold them there, we may have some hope of pushing them back.

I have enough hours in the LaGG to know that it is a good airplane, but I am less sure of myself as a pilot. I am the only pilot in the group to not have a combat sortie under his belt. Perhaps I will get lucky; perhaps I will not. Tomorrow will tell, for I have been placed on the duty roster. Tomorrow, I go into combat.

Updates
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mission 1 Briefing and PWCG overview

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 10, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Am I in the pilot pool already? If not throw me in, I'll happily die heroically getting jumped by some German with 200+ confirmed kills.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

Am I in the pilot pool already? If not throw me in, I'll happily die heroically getting jumped by some German with 200+ confirmed kills.

Great question. Here is the current list. As pilots get killed off, I'll go down the list and add the next pilots in line to the active roster. If you're not in the active roster, but are on the list below, think of yourself as being on deck.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 19, 2020

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Please add me to a pilot slot as well. I haven't seen PWCG before, looking forward to this.

Lamadar
Nov 24, 2007
I'll also throw my Ushanka into the ring and volunteer myself to the meatgrinder.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Now if Boris B. Bolshevik was here...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I loved Jobbos LP so I'm looking forward to this.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Just got done flying the first mission. Report to follow later today or tomorrow.

We have our first casualty. :ohdear:

https://i.imgur.com/0JXF5P0.mp4
More to come!

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 18, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I bet they deserved it.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hell yeah throw my name onto the list too

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Throw me into that there list

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
October 1, 1941 - 1100hrs
----------------------------------------------------

I couldn't sleep at all last night knowing that I was on the duty roster. So many thoughts in my head that sleep wouldn't come. I find myself both exhausted and anxious knowing that today brings my first combat. Briefing just concluded. Today at 1400hrs, we will be patrolling the southern edge of our combat area for enemy aircraft.

[This first post will have a little information on how to use PWCG. This screen is the overview that shows after you click the "Mission" button in the main roster interface. If you don't like it, you can cancel the mission and generate a new one by clicking the "Scrub Mission" button, or you can proceed by selecting the "Briefing Map" option.]

The weather is cool, clear, and calm so at least we have that going for us. I am relieved to see the Major Maid, our most senior and experienced pilot will be leading today's flight. I will be flying in the number three slot behind SLt Syphen and Szt Abongination will be on my wing in the number four slot. All of these pilots have combat sorties under their belt.

[This is the map interface. Fuel, mission times, waypoints and altitudes can all be fine-tuned here, but I rarely muck with anything other than the fuel setting. In most cases, you can easily get away with 50% fuel load, though this interface only allows you to drop it to 60%. You can also view AI units' flight paths by selecting their unit on the left menu.]

My stomach turned as I saw the map. I'm sure someday it will seem like a routine patrol, but seeing that heavy black line turn deeply into enemy territory for the first time was terrifying. At 5000m, we will be at something of a disadvantage if we encounter the hated Messerschmitts. Maybe we'll be able to pull them down some to help even the playing field, else they'll chew us up at high altitude.

[This screen allows you to set the weapons loadouts and pilot allotment for all aircraft in your flight. It's not obvious, but I discovered that if you click on a name in the Unassigned listed at the bottom, you can add more pilots and aircraft to the flight. You can have a full 12-ship flight, which is pretty epic to watch. This is the last chance to back out of the mission before it is generated fully. By clicking the Accept Mission button, PWCG generates the mission and places it in your missions folder (more below).]

With any luck, the four of us will be able to hold our own against the fascists and live to tell about it. Our intelligence types are telling us that both Jagdgeschwader 51 and 52 - the cream of the Luftwaffe elite - are in the area.

[Once PWCG has generated the mission, you will find it in the Missions section of your main Il-2 interface. As far as the game engine is concerned, you are simply flying a single, standalone mission. PWCG is what does all the work to tie everything together as your career progresses by reading the flight logs generated during missions. Those are what it uses to determine the results of missions, tally kills, etc. More on that in the next post.]

I must hurry to chow. My stomach is doing flips, but I need to eat something before today's flight, else I'll pass out on takeoff. Takeoff is at 1400. God help us.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 19, 2020

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Chuck me on the list too, please.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Add me to the list as well, thanks!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sign me up to die gloriously defending the Motherland :ussr:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Sorry co-op couldn't get off the ground, but looking forward to seeing what you can get up to!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
October 1, 1941 - ~1545hrs
---------------------------------
The ground rushed up to meet me.

With terrifying, irresistable certainty, the earth rose to meet me. As if in a dream, time seemed to slow, the raucous roar of the engine faded into memory, and the earth marched relentlessly up towards me. For the briefest moment, I thought I felt the impact. Then, only blackness: still, silent, and complete.

Surely this was death.

But if this was death, why was there laughter? It flittered away as a leaf driven by the autumn breeze, then there was only silence.

There it was again...

I swear... I knew that laughter. But that was a memory from a lifetime long since lost. Wasn't it? There it was again and it was definitely familiar this time. It was that other fellow that shipped in with me. What did they call him? Gooch? That was it. Why was he laughing?

"See? He's moving. I told you he would make it, now pay up," Gooch said through a rolling laugh.

"gently caress you," replied a second voice whose tone was far less jovial.

The laughing stopped and the tone turned sour. "Pay up." There was a brief exchange and my eyes opened to a hazy figure pushing his way out of the tent, grumbling as he went. Another figure slowly came into focus as he began pouring a tall glass of clear liquid. He stretched out his hand and gave it to me.

Taking the glass, I croaked, "What happened?"

"You fell off the wing of your airplane, comrade. Your crew chief said you were white as a ghost when you got out of the cockpit. I think with your nerves perhaps your knees gave out and before anyone knew, you had hit the ground. I'm told it happens to many of us. Perhaps I can avoid it. Drink up."

As the vodka burned its way to my inner being, everything came rushing back in a flash. The flights merging, the staccato rattling of the machine guns, the deep, rhythmic thump of the cannon, the gunsmoke filling the cockpit stinging my eyes, the panicked radio calls, the fuel and greasy coolant dripping from Abongination's bullet-riddled LaGG as I taxied by.

Gooch filled my glass again, "you need to debrief. They want you in the intel hut in 20 minutes."

October 1, 1941 - ~1615hrs

"I've never done this before, sir. Where do I start?" The stout, older intelligence officer sat across from me in a small room. On the table between us were various forms and other official documents. The officer, whom I'd never met before, seemed more interested in leaving than I was.

"Just start from the beginning and go from there, comrade. Try to recall as many details as possible," he replied, mindlessly plucking a speck of dirt from his uniform.

I took another small swig of the vodka he had offered me. "Start up and taxi were normal. We lined up as a formation and took off, with Major Maid leading the flight.

"Climb out was uneventful and we sooned joined up in formation.

"Maybe ten minutes into the mission - just after reaching our patrol altitude - Major Maid suddenly called out bandits and broke hard right to engage. In a few seconds I saw them too. Four aircraft - they were nose on to us, but they had to be enemy - approaching at incredible speed.

"I... I don't know. From there, things were kind of a blur."

"Focus, comrade. Please go on," the intelligence officer forced a smile.

"Yes sir. They were Messerschmitts.

"Our flights merged in seconds

"I think I saw Major Maid fire a burst at the first German as they shot past each other. Two - one after the other - were headed right at me. I didn't really have time to think, sir, I... just... my thumb just hammered the triggers." The twinkling gun flashes on the enemy 109 and the shudder as my machine's cannons thumped to life suddenly came rushing back to me.

"Did you see any results?" the intelligence officer asked, pulling a different form from his briefcase.

"Yes, I, I did. In an instant. I may have hit the leader, but I'm sure I saw my cannon rounds impact the right wing of the trailing ship.

"It flashed past and looked undamaged, but as I looked over my shoulder, I saw his wing fold.
https://i.imgur.com/2kT3feW.mp4

"He started a spiral and bailed out.
https://i.imgur.com/vR0cMUe.mp4

"I looked around and found another 109 lining up on Syphen's tail. I was in a good position, so I pulled left and went after him. I hit him with a quick burst and he panicked and dove hard for the deck. I followed. He was smoking and leaking what looked like coolant, so I kept after him and hit him many times.

"Soon his machine was coming apart.

"One long burst finally finished him off and he hit the ground near the river.
https://i.imgur.com/nbtix8v.mp4

"The officer scribbled some notes on his papers, "After that, I looked around and the sky was empty. I climbed a bit to get my bearings [author's note: I have disabled navigation markers, so I'm navigating manually now] and was able to find the airfield fairly quickly. I did the standard overhead pass and came into land.
https://i.imgur.com/XFUZSWC.mp4

"After that, I... uh... apparently slipped from the wing of my aircraft and blacked out when I hit the ground." The officer nodded and scribbled some more notes.

"So you're claiming two fascist machines destroyed?"

"Yes sir, the one on the first pass, then then second downed by the river north of here," I replied.

"Very good. Well, at least the ratio was in our favor today," he said with a sigh.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, I thought you had heard already. Major Maid was killed in action this afternoon," he said dispassionately. "Fascist son of a bitch rammed him as he was trying to return to the field. The remains of both machines are still smoldering just off the western end of the field. Since Lt Syphen shot him up, we are crediting him with the kill. Not exactly protocol, but it may help morale. I believe the propaganda crew that was here should have their film developed by now. Anyway, please review this summary and sign at the bottom if I have it correct."

I stared at the words in disbelief.

I hadn't known him well, but the others talked of him as a father and an inspiring leader. I signed my name and walked back to my tent.

October 1, 1941 - ~2230hrs

It was probably the alcohol, but Syphen's eyes were welling with tears. We had gathered in the largest of the quarters tents and were singing a toast to our lost commander and comrade, Major Maid. A soft, cold rain was gently pattering on the canvas roof of the tent. Several of these men had flown with him since the start of Barbarossa, what seemed like lifetimes ago.

Syphen began recounting his story, "from the moment we merged, that fascist bastard latched onto his tail.

"I pulled hard in behind him and hit him several times, but not enough to bring him down.

"Even though he was smoking and in trouble, he kept fast to Maid's tail.

"He started scoring hits on Maid's aircraft," he stared into the distance for a moment, then added, "I can still hear him calling for help."

He swallowed hard and continued, "there was nothing I could do. I was out of position and they were both gaining ground on me. He kept calling for help."

Abongination cut him off to add, "Don't blame yourself too much. You did all you could and you did more than I. That drat fascist shot me up so badly that I wasn't any help at all."

"He kept calling for help," Syphen repeated. By now, we had all seen it. A propaganda crew from Pravda had been at the airfield for the last week, filming the Motherland's pride protecting her from the hated Hun. They had been filming the Abongination's landing in his crippled ship when they heard Maid and the fascist approaching.

First, the jerry pummeled Maid's ship with cannon fire.

What happened next stunned us all.

https://i.imgur.com/ZSL5xw1.mp4
The fascist bastard misjudged his closure speed and slammed into Maid's ship, sending both to the ground in two massive explosions. Neither man had any chance of bailing out.

"He kept calling for help..."

We sat in silence for a little while, each lost in their own thoughts. Then, with a resigned sigh, Kapitan Jarmak stood and said, "Let us turn in for the night, comrades. The weather is turning ugly out there, so I doubt we'll fly tomorrow. But we need all the strength we can muster."

[With the passing of Major Maid (RIP, comrade), Lt. Gooch OneEightOne has been added to the roster.]

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 19, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
R.I.P. Maid

Those shots are neat as hell! Can't wait to see how I undoubtedly meet a horrifying demise.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
He died a hero of the motherland. I shall join and make sure the fascists pay for their sins :ussr:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I too, wish to don steel wings and slay the infernal boche.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Who is the political officer in this group?

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?
Well, at least in this version of the campaign I got my plane off the ground. Rip to a real one :V

I'm really looking forward to reading more of this!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Put me on the roster if possible, coach.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I thought only the protoype LaGG 1 had the 23mm cannon?

Also do you really need to timg everything these days? I think most peoples screens/internet can handle big pics now and clicking on each one is a pain, not to mention they are still pretty small on a large monitor once they are expanded.

Also sign me up to pad some Nazi's score.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Sign me up to kill some Hitlerite aristo flyboys.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

I thought only the protoype LaGG 1 had the 23mm cannon?

Also do you really need to timg everything these days? I think most peoples screens/internet can handle big pics now and clicking on each one is a pain, not to mention they are still pretty small on a large monitor once they are expanded.

Also sign me up to pad some Nazi's score.

So noted, but I'll continue using timg for this. :)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to be a fresh new pilot

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sign me on, I wish to die horribly gloriously serve the Motherland.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Also, props for the LP format so far. I generally prefer screen shot LPs but having the GIFs as well is a great touch. Writing is good, too.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah it's a really neat mix and the old timey filtered clip is rad rear end hell.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I will fly planes for Motherland!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Boris B. Bacarrudski reporting for duty!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Signing in as Misse Fayre

An expatriate from Switzerland who in 1915 volunteered to join the Belgian Army and Volunteers Corp and got through training just in time to go through one of the Battles of Ypres. What had started as a summer trip to 'save brave little Belgium' had men drowning in the trenches and being devoured by rats while shells cratered above them. Attempting to desert, only blind luck saved Fayre from being sent to a firing squad. Somehow managing to survive the first day and the first wave of the Somme, between 1916 and 1917 any faith that Misse had in higher powers vanished. In class vanished. In anything beyond his fellow man.

By 1919 he was a devoted Communist that as the Armistice set the stage for more wars would go to the East to fight alongside the Whites in the Russian Civil War. Ending up a (poor fingered) machinist, when the Fascists attacked Mother Russia, Misse would volunteer to join the Red Army's Air Corps. He was an awful shot, and it was said he could be crashing to earth and shooting on full auto and somehow manage to miss the ground. But, he was a warm body, casualties were high, there was vodka, and he would fight for the glory of the Rodina.

Misse was not particularly bright, competent, focused, but he was devoted to the MOtherland and the equality of his fellow men, a true believer in the utopia that they would bring to Earth. Willing to do his part in the war against the aggressors.

Hopefully remembering what direction his guns shot in.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

wedgekree posted:

Signing in as Misse Fayre

An expatriate from Switzerland who in 1915 volunteered to join the Belgian Army and Volunteers Corp and got through training just in time to go through one of the Battles of Ypres. What had started as a summer trip to 'save brave little Belgium' had men drowning in the trenches and being devoured by rats while shells cratered above them. Attempting to desert, only blind luck saved Fayre from being sent to a firing squad. Somehow managing to survive the first day and the first wave of the Somme, between 1916 and 1917 any faith that Misse had in higher powers vanished. In class vanished. In anything beyond his fellow man.

By 1919 he was a devoted Communist that as the Armistice set the stage for more wars would go to the East to fight alongside the Whites in the Russian Civil War. Ending up a (poor fingered) machinist, when the Fascists attacked Mother Russia, Misse would volunteer to join the Red Army's Air Corps. He was an awful shot, and it was said he could be crashing to earth and shooting on full auto and somehow manage to miss the ground. But, he was a warm body, casualties were high, there was vodka, and he would fight for the glory of the Rodina.

Misse was not particularly bright, competent, focused, but he was devoted to the MOtherland and the equality of his fellow men, a true believer in the utopia that they would bring to Earth. Willing to do his part in the war against the aggressors.

Hopefully remembering what direction his guns shot in.

Za Rodina, comrade! The motherland thanks you for volunteering! Holy poo poo casualties are high after two missions. :stare: more to follow.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Holy poo poo casualties are high after two missions. :stare: more to follow.

:ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Remade one of my old skins today. You want one, Gewehr?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

Za Rodina, comrade! The motherland thanks you for volunteering! Holy poo poo casualties are high after two missions. :stare: more to follow.

Well, that means more of us get to be pilots!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you run out of lawn darts, feel free to add me to the roster of the damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Oh boy, sign me up for this.