Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Psych was a long running Buddy Comedy-Mystery series, with very strong writing on both fronts - it was a fun "who dun it" every single week while also having an excellent cast and just a lot of fun. I recommend it to absolutely anyone I meet.

Today I have begun my semi-semi annual rewatch of Psych, as the second Psych movie will be released July 15th, 2020. I will be subscribing to Peacock literally only for this.

Timothy Omundson (Lassy) suffered a stroke before the last movie and was therefore unable to participate. He has been recovering and I hope he gets in to this one.

I'll be posting my thoughts here on my 3rd watch of the show, which remains my absolute favorite TV show ever!

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
To start off with it is very interesting watching the Pilot with the chick from House playing the agent.

Henry is way antagonistic towards Shawn. As is Lassy. The show was much more serious outside of Shawn in the pilot.

E: in the second half things clung much closer to the rest of the series

the very last scene with Shawn and Gus feels like they knew this was going to be a decade+ long relationship and is loving awesome for a big fan going back and seeing it again.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 18, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Psych is such a goddamn amazing show and I always felt it was underappreciated. You never hear people talk about it. It was fun, but definitely not afraid to go dark in a way that still felt genuine to the show, and had several of my all-time favorite themed episodes. And, most importantly to me, the characters grew in believable ways. My only real complaint is the criminal underuse of Kirsten Nelson (in general) and her comedic skills because she can bring it pretty drat hard.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
So 2:

Juliet exists now

Also the Spelling Bee bit with Shawn forcing them to spell a grocery list - I forgot that was this early in the show.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Up to episode 7 now and it's still strange seeing Shawn so skinny.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I watched this show every day one summer. Did they ever resolve that runner with the uh, mysterious pseudonym figure loving with them all the time, I never made it that far and I'm curious despite not even remembering the name, drat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Daikloktos posted:

I watched this show every day one summer. Did they ever resolve that runner with the uh, mysterious pseudonym figure loving with them all the time, I never made it that far and I'm curious despite not even remembering the name, drat.

Are you talking about the Yang serial killer thread? If so then bunch of words words words words YES and some more words to make this longer

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I rewatched the entire show for the first time since it ended, and suddenly realized I only have one episode left to watch. And now I find myself putting off watching it, because I don't want to have no more Psych to watch again.

One of my favourite shows of all time, top 5 or top 3 material.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Nearing the end of season 2, I'm remembering there's about 1 episode a season bad enough to skip and it's usually the holiday episode. S2 and S3 both have horrible christmas episodes. the only redeeming factor is shawn and his dad's tradition

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I actually just started watching this as a quarantine binge show with my wife.
The slasher movie parody episode was fantastic. This show really seemed to elevate towards the end of the 3rd season. Just starting in on the 4th.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

One of my favourite little things from the show:

Through the show there's a running joke of people saying Gus looks like Bud from the Cosby show. Then, in the final episode, the guy who plays Gus's new boss is played by the actor who played Bud on the Cosby Show.

Spoilered for the benefit of those who are watching for the first time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My favorite side bit to that is the fact that his mother is played by Phylicia Rashad.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Needed something to watch and I remember this thread so I figured let's start a Psych rewatch. Been a very long time.

Only 6 episodes in but it is just so entertaining and fun

"Actually I've been prompted. It's Captain Crunch"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just got to season 6 on my rewatch. It is such a kind-hearted show, ultimately, I think my blood pressure actually goes down when I'm watching the show again regularly.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
drat the Astronomy episode had such good lines

You heard about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

I'm going to be un-catchable, like a jackal!
Like a jackal? How about I just tail you to the observatory.

The Jackal has arrived.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Not like I needed a reason to restart it as my background noise when I'm trying to sleep.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starting with Psych 2 James Roday will be billed as James Roday Rodriguez.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Good for him. He picked Roday because of SAG regulations (there was already a James Rodriguez). It's 2020, he probably doesn't have to do that any more.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Good for him. He picked Roday because of SAG regulations (there was already a James Rodriguez). It's 2020, he probably doesn't have to do that any more.

Its so dumb that you have to add in an initial or change your name. It doubly sucks for someone like Roday (now Rodriguez) because it makes him across as an arrepentido.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

swickles posted:

Its so dumb that you have to add in an initial or change your name. It doubly sucks for someone like Roday (now Rodriguez) because it makes him across as an arrepentido.

It's kind of a poo poo situation in general. What's the best way to fix it? If you're an actor named Billy Zane, even if you're really good, how are you going to make your name?

It gets used a lot, like you said, as an arrepentido, masking your race. Maybe requiring a middle name, even if it's made up, from absolutely everyone? That seems like a better option than number tags or something...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
From the chat thread:

muscles like this! posted:

Interview with James Roday about his decision to go back to his legal name, Rodriguez. (starting with Psych 2 he's going to be billed as James Roday Rodriguez) Because Hollywood is pretty racist casting directors had problems with a guy who looked white with an "ethnic" last name, nevermind that he actually is Mexican-American.

Follow the post link for an excerpt, his name got him actively discriminated against.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From the chat thread:

Follow the post link for an excerpt, his name got him actively discriminated against.

Wow, that is a nightmare. He changed it because of the racial connotations. That is hosed up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheAardvark posted:

Wow, that is a nightmare. He changed it because of the racial connotations. That is hosed up.

I'm just glad he's able to use his name now, and maybe it'll help more actors in the future with that kind of thing. It's hosed up that he almost didn't have a career because of it, he's super talented and it goes to show how discriminatory a lot of hiring processes are.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm just glad he's able to use his name now, and maybe it'll help more actors in the future with that kind of thing. It's hosed up that he almost didn't have a career because of it, he's super talented and it goes to show how discriminatory a lot of hiring processes are.

He is hugely talented. Half of the best jokes on Psych are poo poo that he came up with while improvising on set, you can tell from the outtakes. The outtakes were his jokes going off in to NSFW territory but they always have the same feel of the best jokes that make it in to the show.

Gus's nicknames were all James Rodriguez from the start.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My only real complaint is the criminal underuse of Kirsten Nelson (in general) and her comedic skills because she can bring it pretty drat hard.

Henry Spencer, where are your pants?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, this is on the free version of Peacock so you don't have to pay to watch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Head's up, this is on the free version of Peacock so you don't have to pay to watch.

Sweet. I originally planned on paying for peacock but it’s missing a bunch of law and order so gently caress that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just want a streaming service that has more than one season of The Facts of Life :(

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I watched it tonight and liked it! Great fill in casting too! It was fun seeing Richard Schiff and Dule Hill share a screen again.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

swickles posted:

I watched it tonight and liked it! Great fill in casting too! It was fun seeing Richard Schiff and Dule Hill share a screen again.

Omg I forgot they were both in The West Wing together!

I just finished it and I loved it. I was cracking up through most of it and it felt like the original Psych seasons to me.

Sort of hope they keep making these ever year or so

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think they are signed up to do 2 or 3 more, and I am sure that will go up if Peacock gets ots poo poo together and the numbers are good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

I think they are signed up to do 2 or 3 more, and I am sure that will go up if Peacock gets ots poo poo together and the numbers are good.

Peacock being intensely lovely may work in its favor, even, since Psych 2’s viewer numbers are probably head and shoulders above everything else on that bizarre dumpster fire.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

James Roday Rodriguez said that there are no deals for further movies but he feels everyone would be up for another if calendars line up.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I just want a streaming service that has more than one season of The Facts of Life :(
Which season is it. Is it actually the first season with Molly Ringwald and my gangtag

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

This might be the only thing to make me smile right now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That was great, and so much better than the first one.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Daikloktos posted:

Which season is it. Is it actually the first season with Molly Ringwald and my gangtag

Season 3, which is one of the strongest ones. 3, 4, and 5 are the sweetspot

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think that was a true reaction from Jules when ENDING SPOILER Lassiter stood up and walked. It's got to be difficult to see a friend go through something like that. If it wasn't, Jules is a better actor than I thought.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 17, 2020

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I liked the movie over all but it felt like a normal episode stretched into movie length. This could've been a great 2-part season opener. As a standalone, doubly as the last Psych currently lines up? Not a solid end.

What I'm saying is I want Psych: the Peacock Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
My girlfriend pointed out today that the actor who plays Ova is in the pilot. He’s the dude with long hair that works at the secondhand clothes store.