Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The other week I randomly caught an episode of the 1980s TV series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and boy was it a doozy. Here's the Wikipedia synopsis:

quote:

After the galactic beauty queen "Miss Cosmos" is attacked by a mysterious woman, Buck and Wilma are assigned to protect her while she travels aboard a luxury space liner. There, Buck encounters a shy girl named Alison Michaels who suffers from periodic blackouts to which her boyfriend Jay Davin dismisses as mental stress brought on by hypertension. After another attack against Miss Cosmos, Buck confronts the assailant, a wild-haired woman named Sabrina who demonstrates superhuman strength and powerful psychokinetic abilities. When Buck checks on Alison, she confesses to having visions of committing crimes and hurting people. Buck begins suspecting that Sabrina and Alison are the same and that Jay is exploiting her abilities so that they can capture Miss Cosmos and sell her perfect genetics on the black market. Dr. Theopolis later confirms this and identifies Alison as a transmute, a split personality with the genetic ability to transform into an entirely separate entity during times of extreme emotional distress. Buck sets a trap for the alter persona in hopes of saving Alison from the monster that lurks inside her.

However, this summary leaves out a lot of crazy stuff that happens in the episode. For example, the guest star of the episode is the beauty queen Miss Cosmos, however the episode goes out of its way to exposit that in the future beauty contests aren't just concerned with superficial things like looks, no, they also are focused on genetic purity and that Miss Cosmos, a blonde-haired blue-eyed white lady, is the most genetically perfect woman in existence. They don't mention this just once, no, they mention it repeatedly throughout the episode. The episode also features only a single non-white actor, a useless bodyguard who gets no lines :thunk:

Additionally, there's a subplot involving a robot character that helps Buck Rogers with his work. While they're on the luxury space liner the robot meets a lady version of himself (the robots are gendered because ???) working as a waitress on the ship and they say, as explicitly as you could for 80s prime-time TV, that they gently caress. Like, at one point Buck tells his boss to "expect more little robots soon" or something along those lines. :psyduck: The whole thing was just so bizarre and there are a lot more little WTF moments throughout the episode I can't remember at the moment.

I've never seen another episode of this show so I can't judge how much of an outlier this episode is but I kind of want to watch the rest of it now if the average episode is even half as insane as this one.

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 19:36 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU